Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't think Jhonen Vasquez has even done much of anything since the last Zim. I mean he's been working, but all his other animated pilots fell through and he hasn't released any comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's hard to tell what Vasquez has been up to because a lot of the stuff on his Wikipedia page sounds completely fictional

quote:

Vasquez collaborated with Crab Scrambly to produce the storybook Everything Can Be Beaten, published by Slave Labor in 2002. Vasquez, credited as Chancre Scolex, wrote the story and Crab Scrambly illustrated it. Everything Can Be Beaten is about a strange person who lives in a room in which he can do nothing but beat kittens. However, an adventure into the outside world changes his perspective, and he discovers that "everything can be beaten".

Yeah sure that happened. :rolleyes:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's hard to tell what Vasquez has been up to because a lot of the stuff on his Wikipedia page sounds completely fictional

Yeah sure that happened. :rolleyes:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My gut reaction is that an Invader Zim revival is about 7 years too late. A lot of people my age would've eaten that up in college for sure. But now that money is mortgage payment money. I could be totally wrong though, IDK really.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Spotted this a week ago, but I kinda wanna close the tab so I guess I'll post it here for posterity:

https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/845512778097934337

I want one, even though it'd probably retail for :retrogames:. Except it's apparently only for people who worked on the film (or something), so picking one up would be even more :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:. (And as if I have the space for a lifesize statue of Nick Wilde anyway...)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shadow Hog posted:

Spotted this a week ago, but I kinda wanna close the tab so I guess I'll post it here for posterity:

https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/845512778097934337

You can't remove their clothes, Hedrigall.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

My gut reaction is that an Invader Zim revival is about 7 years too late. A lot of people my age would've eaten that up in college for sure. But now that money is mortgage payment money. I could be totally wrong though, IDK really.

banking on that maybe the nostalgia market is just leaving all those cringing retroactive embarassment market dollars on the table

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sir Lemming posted:

hahahaha who the gently caress in our generation owns a home to mortgage

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hahahaha who the gently caress in our generation owns a home to mortgage

Pffft who needs things like housing security and assets when you can spend all your money on life size maquett--

The_Doctor posted:

Fine I'll just save towards a deposit for a house

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Doctor posted:

Listen: you can do anything you set your mind to.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't think removing the clothes will have the desired effect in this case

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm interested to see how these nostalgic revivals will play out. I can see Zim having a weird cult fanbase, but not Arnold. And there will definitely be a big change in the creative types involved in the production versus the original. Hopefully the end results will be good. Seems like every other day I hear about a That's So Raven sequel series or a Swat Kats Revival Kickstarter.

Personally, I'm saving my money for the Donkey Kong Country revival.

:c00lbutt:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-g7zRpayw:c00lbutt:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

Listen: you can do anything you set your mind to.

Yeah but I think the settings on my mind are broken

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rugrats: Fully grown up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LoseHound posted:

I'm interested to see how these nostalgic revivals will play out. I can see Zim having a weird cult fanbase, but not Arnold.
It doesn't seem to have the vocal (and cringey*) fanbase of Invader Zim, but I'm sure you pick 90s kid off the street and ask them about Hey Arnold, they'll probably talk all rosey about it. It was way more relatable than most of the other shows around at the time, and had an edge you didn't see in similar shows like Doug. Holy crap Doug was a wimp.

*CelticPredator non-withstanding.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All the annoying kids who quoted Invader Zim in high school have grown up into annoying adults who quote Rick and Morty, if anything the time has never been better.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Chuckie just staring listlessly into the cubicle wall at the call center he works at, Tommy dealing with his pain killer addiction after hurting his back on the job, Phil and Lil still on the run from the liquor store robbery that went wrong. Only one who came out on top is Angelica and the nepotism hiring at her moms firm.

Sounds fun.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So it's Bojack Horseman without the animals? I'll pass.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah. Dil would be the one with the drug addiction.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Invader Zim and Tim Burton probably single-handedly supported Hot Topic for the 90s and 00s.

Yea, it's been my experience, that people who are/were really into Zim (and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac) were edgelords completely unaware that they're just as much a "Sheep" like everyone else they made fun of.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Robindaybird posted:

Invader Zim and Tim Burton probably single-handedly supported Hot Topic for the 90s and 00s.

Yea, it's been my experience, that people who are/were really into Zim (and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac) were edgelords completely unaware that they're just as much a "Sheep" like everyone else they made fun of.

But.. but they have "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same" tshirts!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
A lot of bitter middle/high school resentment seems to be welling up in the thread for some reason. Is this what 90/2000s nostalgia has wrought?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 6, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would have beat all you nerds off up at high school

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you're going to plumb people's high school nostalgia for profit, you're going to dredge up the bad stuff too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wheres Austin Powers the animatd series?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

...i vaguelly remember this already being a thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Avalerion posted:

They were in high school, no?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hey, some of us peaked in high school.
Hahaha...ha...heh :smithicide:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm peaking riiight nnnoww..... *grunt*

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I'm peaking riiight nnnoww..... *grunt*

My ears are peaked right now. Do go on....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Rule34 site is over that way...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Avalerion posted:

Yeah they did a 1hr special episode set 10 years later:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Growed_Up

... which was so popular that they spun it out into a full series which ran for 5 seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Grown_Up!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It ran for 5 seasons?!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

It ran for 5 seasons?!

From 2003 to 2008!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Things got weird in this thread while I was gone.
Also, Zim was good and cel-shaded. Y'all eat turds.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

Things got weird in this thread while I was gone.

You love it :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Zim was good and I always thought the style of the show was gorgeous.

I'm glad they're doing a movie, which hopefully picks up right after the show ended, because it was cancelled like just as the show was starting to have a big story arc. What with the introduction of Tak and everything. It seemed like they were starting on a big story and possibly an endgame but it was all cut short

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like to imagine that Rugrats: Grown up is just Office Space but animated.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Zim was good and I always thought the style of the show was gorgeous.

I'm glad they're doing a movie, which hopefully picks up right after the show ended, because it was cancelled like just as the show was starting to have a big story arc. What with the introduction of Tak and everything. It seemed like they were starting on a big story and possibly an endgame but it was all cut short

The comic did this. Dib was frozen on a computer looking for him and got super fat. I forgot what Zim did. I stopped picking up the comic when I realized I couldn't remember what happened in the previous month's comic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can hardly wait until my daughter is grown up and the theaters are filled with edgy, adult reboots of Paw Patrol and The Amazing World of Gumball.