Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

I was thinking it would be nice to eventually have Ungrim start in Karak Kadrin with a few modifications:

-Karak Kadrins special building allows you to recruit Slayers without needing armory (in that province) and the initial tier of the building has its price adjusted.

-Change Axe Lord to affect Slayers but not other basic units, basically the buff Slayers normally get via Grimnir's heirs (which no longer benefits Slayers at this point) . So you can improve the Slayers much earlier with him.

You could have a true Slayer army now, getting buffed up Slayers out much earlier. It'll be well suited to the enemies you'll face in the area, and you'll get to fight chaos much sooner.

This would be really fun. Slayers as a DLC are one of my pipe dreams. Do this, add in a Dragonslayer hero who functions something like a melee Witch Hunter, add Trollslayers as a Longbeard equivalent with some kind of buff aura that only affects other slayers.

For extra fun, Long Drong's Pirates as a slayer RoR that come with AP and pistols, and the Goblin Hewer. Trollslayers and the Hewer could be attached to a unique Shrine if Slayers themselves were built out of the main settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm holding out hope that the speculated Legendary Lord DLC is actually a thing because I really want Marius Leitdorf as an Empire LL. Also because I'm a sucker for black & gold color schemes and solar-themed sigils. That and working in Marius being a nutter while also the finest swordsmen in the Empire* and Averlands precarious borders would make for a very interesting alternate start for the Empire. Also half-lings :arghfist:.

For your viewing pleasure:

*disputed by Kurt Helborg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sasgrillo posted:

I'm holding out hope that the speculated Legendary Lord DLC is actually a thing because I really want Marius Leitdorf as an Empire LL. Also because I'm a sucker for black & gold color schemes and solar-themed sigils. That and working in Marius being a nutter while also the finest swordsmen in the Empire* and Averlands precarious borders would make for a very interesting alternate start for the Empire. Also half-lings :arghfist:.

I'm coming close to finishing my first Empire campaign after all this time, and I wish troops recruited in confederated provinces would keep their hometown colours and not adopt the standard Empire/Reikland look. I want my army to out-fabulous brett knights.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm coming close to finishing my first Empire campaign after all this time, and I wish troops recruited in confederated provinces would keep their hometown colours and not adopt the standard Empire/Reikland look. I want my army to out-fabulous brett knights.

*Cough, Empire of Man, cough*

Sasgrillo posted:

*Cough, does an ok pass at Marius, ack ack*

Boy this cold won't go away!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sasgrillo posted:

hah i just got the thing about Warhorses on your empire legendary lords

"just don't name them Daisy..."

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I was thinking it would be nice to eventually have Ungrim start in Karak Kadrin with a few modifications:

-Karak Kadrins special building allows you to recruit Slayers without needing armory (in that province) and the initial tier of the building has its price adjusted.

-Change Axe Lord to affect Slayers but not other basic units, basically the buff Slayers normally get via Grimnir's heirs (which no longer benefits Slayers at this point) . So you can improve the Slayers much earlier with him.

You could have a true Slayer army now, getting buffed up Slayers out much earlier. It'll be well suited to the enemies you'll face in the area, and you'll get to fight chaos much sooner.

Its ironic that you're mentioning this since i am sort of working on something like it RIGHT NOW, though not in Karak Kadrin.

Its in response to how good Grombrindal is, and im trying to make the other two lord choices of Ungrim and Thorgrim to be more interesting!

First up is Ungrim:

As you can see he gets a new Lord Effect, extra replenishment for slayers, to keep up with the lore that Slayers from all across karaz ankor are basically falling over eachother to get into his glorious Doom Seeking Venture.

Besides this ive also buffed his personal skills:

Slayer King will now grant Slayers in Ungrim's army 20% Ward Save, this is at Rank 3 so its something you've got to invest in and not just get for free. I couldn't get the flavour text to work but in essence the Runesmiths have granted the slayers who follow Ungrim directly special rune-ink so that they may last longer in battle and thus seek out a greater doom that will surely please Grimnir!

The other skills involve Ungrim's personal stats and things i feel hes lacking:

Hes sort of slow so i baked in a 15% battle speed for him via Slayer and Dragon Slayer felt a bit off with a meager +15 anti large for 3 skillpoints so i added in an extra Wound-Maker level of Weapon Strength.

I have not changed Daemon Slayer yet, but i think i will add in Weapon Strength that only affects Norscan and Chaos armies, exactly like the Greenskin one.

On to Thorgrim.

I wasn't sure what to do with Thorgrim at first, then i remembered in the lore hes supposed to be slightly unconventional in that he actually wants to make use of technology in gaining an upper hand for his people, so i decided to make him give some buffs to Gyros and Late tech units like Flame Cannons and Iron Drakes.

**** Important, Thorgrim is still a WIP and i do NOT want to make him OP, so values seen here are nowhere near final, right now they are more or less examples, especially in regards to the Flame Cannon buff you'll see here****

First up the new Lord Effects for Thorgrim. I added two of them and they are sort of a hint at what you 'should' use him for. +2 Ranks to Master Engineers simple yet good since it means you'll get more bang for your buck when you recruit engineers. Secondly, a powerful increase of Ammo to all Gyrocopters of all types. A 100% may seem much but honestly they shoot themselves dry before the match is over most times and their DPS, while not non-negliable, isn't big enough to cause them to be able to win on their own. They are also still vulnerable to the slightest of range damage and will go down quickly if you do not keep an eye on them. On the other hand this should make you WANT to get get Gyros in your Thorgrim games and make him stand out as a choice above Grombrindal in that regard.

Secondly i added a new unqiue skill for Thorgrim, and this is sort why i had to add a disclaimer since its kind of big on the values and im not quite done yet:

Basically the idea is that all the higher end ranged tech units that use machines or contraptions all get a range bonus, and a pretty big one at that. I know some of you will say the Flame cannon bonus is too big, far far too big, and i won't deny you. Im currently considering simmering it down to 50% and raising the skills level requirement.

Besides all this ive also made some changes to how recruitment works:

Slayers are, in this mod, available from the Barracks 3 building but they still require the armoury to be unlocked. This is because the Slayer Shrine is such an investment that many people, myself included, just ignore it in favour of other more needful things, also, i believe that while Slayers congregate within the Shrines, they would also be found in areas where dwarfs are mustering for war since if theres a fight to be had theres a doom to seek.

This is from a previous mod i made, which i am intergrating here as well. It just moves the basic Gyrocopter unit down a tier so its easier to get. I believe in one build of the game this was actually the case anyways before they changed their minds again.

Thats it for now, but im also considering normalising the turn-time cost of the very late Dwarf techs since they go up to crazy amounts like 20 turns each which is just not very fun to wait at, infact most people seem to just cheat the turns away anyways so i feel this is more fair. I'll set them at 8-10 turns or something like that, not fully decided yet.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Why does chaos sometimes cause my lords movement range to collapse ? Like a full movement bar is like 20% of their normal movement range

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Are you sure it's the chaos and not the underlying terrain (swamp, mountain, whatever)?

e: or maybe an enemy agent blocked you?

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 6, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I give up. The other conputer can't even get into the game, the loving launcher crashes immidiately. Guess I'm not playing this game until I can build a whole computer that will hopefully loving work :sigh: Thanks for trying to help, in any case.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Are you sure it's the chaos and not the underlying terrain (swamp, mountain, whatever)?

e: or maybe an enemy agent blocked you?

Nah it's an intermittent thing mostly see it when near kholek. Some weird bug.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ungrim loving sucks bad in MP. They really need to do something about lords on foot just getting knocked around and owned like they're nothing.

Watching some wizard on a horse just own him is sad

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Gejnor posted:

Its ironic that you're mentioning this since i am sort of working on something like it RIGHT NOW, though not in Karak Kadrin.

Its in response to how good Grombrindal is, and im trying to make the other two lord choices of Ungrim and Thorgrim to be more interesting!

First up is Ungrim:

As you can see he gets a new Lord Effect, extra replenishment for slayers, to keep up with the lore that Slayers from all across karaz ankor are basically falling over eachother to get into his glorious Doom Seeking Venture.

Besides this ive also buffed his personal skills:

Slayer King will now grant Slayers in Ungrim's army 20% Ward Save, this is at Rank 3 so its something you've got to invest in and not just get for free. I couldn't get the flavour text to work but in essence the Runesmiths have granted the slayers who follow Ungrim directly special rune-ink so that they may last longer in battle and thus seek out a greater doom that will surely please Grimnir!

The other skills involve Ungrim's personal stats and things i feel hes lacking:

Hes sort of slow so i baked in a 15% battle speed for him via Slayer and Dragon Slayer felt a bit off with a meager +15 anti large for 3 skillpoints so i added in an extra Wound-Maker level of Weapon Strength.

I have not changed Daemon Slayer yet, but i think i will add in Weapon Strength that only affects Norscan and Chaos armies, exactly like the Greenskin one.

On to Thorgrim.

I wasn't sure what to do with Thorgrim at first, then i remembered in the lore hes supposed to be slightly unconventional in that he actually wants to make use of technology in gaining an upper hand for his people, so i decided to make him give some buffs to Gyros and Late tech units like Flame Cannons and Iron Drakes.

**** Important, Thorgrim is still a WIP and i do NOT want to make him OP, so values seen here are nowhere near final, right now they are more or less examples, especially in regards to the Flame Cannon buff you'll see here****

First up the new Lord Effects for Thorgrim. I added two of them and they are sort of a hint at what you 'should' use him for. +2 Ranks to Master Engineers simple yet good since it means you'll get more bang for your buck when you recruit engineers. Secondly, a powerful increase of Ammo to all Gyrocopters of all types. A 100% may seem much but honestly they shoot themselves dry before the match is over most times and their DPS, while not non-negliable, isn't big enough to cause them to be able to win on their own. They are also still vulnerable to the slightest of range damage and will go down quickly if you do not keep an eye on them. On the other hand this should make you WANT to get get Gyros in your Thorgrim games and make him stand out as a choice above Grombrindal in that regard.

Secondly i added a new unqiue skill for Thorgrim, and this is sort why i had to add a disclaimer since its kind of big on the values and im not quite done yet:

Basically the idea is that all the higher end ranged tech units that use machines or contraptions all get a range bonus, and a pretty big one at that. I know some of you will say the Flame cannon bonus is too big, far far too big, and i won't deny you. Im currently considering simmering it down to 50% and raising the skills level requirement.

Besides all this ive also made some changes to how recruitment works:

Slayers are, in this mod, available from the Barracks 3 building but they still require the armoury to be unlocked. This is because the Slayer Shrine is such an investment that many people, myself included, just ignore it in favour of other more needful things, also, i believe that while Slayers congregate within the Shrines, they would also be found in areas where dwarfs are mustering for war since if theres a fight to be had theres a doom to seek.

This is from a previous mod i made, which i am intergrating here as well. It just moves the basic Gyrocopter unit down a tier so its easier to get. I believe in one build of the game this was actually the case anyways before they changed their minds again.

Thats it for now, but im also considering normalising the turn-time cost of the very late Dwarf techs since they go up to crazy amounts like 20 turns each which is just not very fun to wait at, infact most people seem to just cheat the turns away anyways so i feel this is more fair. I'll set them at 8-10 turns or something like that, not fully decided yet.
This is really cool, I can't wait to try it out. Having a way to make Ungrim and maybe regular Slayers a speed boost (either as an Ungrim skill, aura effect, or buff he could apply to Slayers temporarily) would help chase down cavalry units to murder them.

Questions :
-Does the Slayer King skill that gives 20% ward save stack with their 20%ish physical resistance? Hoo boy that would be fun to have Slayers that can shrug off 40% of enemy physical attacks! Wouldn't be that OP either, given savage orcs have 30% damage resist baked in already.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Woah, Chaos is a total lame duck in my Empire campaign. Me, Kislev, and Nordland have them bottled up right outside the Chaos wastes but they have too many stacks to push in and finish them. Meanwhile the whole world is allied to me and not fighting each other thanks to Shield of Civilization, except Grimgor running wild in the south. I think I'll instantly win if my witch hunter can kill Archaon.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ShootaBoy posted:

I give up. The other conputer can't even get into the game, the loving launcher crashes immidiately. Guess I'm not playing this game until I can build a whole computer that will hopefully loving work :sigh: Thanks for trying to help, in any case.

64-bit windows yeah? Just a thought.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

oswald ownenstein posted:

Ungrim loving sucks bad in MP. They really need to do something about lords on foot just getting knocked around and owned like they're nothing.

I was super disappointed to find out none of the dwarf lords could get a gyrocopter mount or something

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

64-bit windows yeah? Just a thought.

1st computer is 64bit 8.1 and the 2nd is 64bit 7.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

This is really cool, I can't wait to try it out. Having a way to make Ungrim and maybe regular Slayers a speed boost (either as an Ungrim skill, aura effect, or buff he could apply to Slayers temporarily) would help chase down cavalry units to murder them.

Questions :
-Does the Slayer King skill that gives 20% ward save stack with their 20%ish physical resistance? Hoo boy that would be fun to have Slayers that can shrug off 40% of enemy physical attacks! Wouldn't be that OP either, given savage orcs have 30% damage resist baked in already.

If Ungrim didn't have 4 unqiue skills already i might've considered an aoe speed effect but the problem is that he DOES have 4 unique skills, with 3 points each for a staggering 12 points required to fill out completely. In vanilla those skills are so subpar as to be never worth touching which i feel is a shame. I've tried reducing them to 1 point but they are hardcoded and im not allowed to change them in that way :(

Other than that i feel Slayers are fast enough, they are infact some of the fastest infantry in the game, going above most Beastmen AND Wood Elf units so its not a big loss.

The 20% Ward Save WILL stack with the RoR Slayers, normal slayers have no ward save of any kind, so this will make the RoR dudes survive for much longer and be badass as they should be.

Away all Goats posted:

I was super disappointed to find out none of the dwarf lords could get a gyrocopter mount or something

If i knew how to do this i would definately add that into the mod im currently working on.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 6, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gejnor posted:

If Ungrim didn't have 4 unqiue skills already i might've considered an aoe speed effect but the problem is that he DOES have 4 unique skills, with 3 points each for a staggering 12 points required to fill out completely. In vanilla those skills are so subpar as to be never worth touching which i feel is a shame. I've tried reducing them to 1 point but they are hardcoded and im not allowed to change them in that way :(

Other than that i feel Slayers are fast enough, they are infact some of the fastest infantry in the game, going above most Beastmen AND Wood Elf units so its not a big loss.

The 20% Ward Save WILL stack with the RoR Slayers, normal slayers have no ward save of any kind, so this will make the RoR dudes survive for much longer and be badass as they should be.

Why not just put all the modifiers on rank 1 of the skill? It won't stop the AI from making bad decisions, but what can really.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Also VC summon spam is moronic and I can't believe it even made it into the game in its current implementation

"oh that's a nice artillery/skirmisher/irondrakes unit you have there. would be a shame if i could just completely nullify it by summoning zombies / skeletons right on top of it from the safety of my flying mount"

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Why not just put all the modifiers on rank 1 of the skill? It won't stop the AI from making bad decisions, but what can really.

It would look bad is the main reason, also if i make the skills more worth it its kind of neat to have 3 points to fill out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I always felt like Dwarf lords and LLs on foot should have had an oathstone "mount" that basically plants them in one spot or in a vicinity and renders them completely immune to knock down or being shoved about. Maybe have it that enemies that enter the oath zone can't retreat/move away or something I don't know, I am not a video game designer.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I always felt like Dwarf lords and LLs on foot should have had an oathstone "mount" that basically plants them in one spot or in a vicinity and renders them completely immune to knock down or being shoved about. Maybe have it that enemies that enter the oath zone can't retreat/move away or something I don't know, I am not a video game designer.

That whole "grounded for 20-30 seconds after landing" thing the devs talked about, which was delayed for bretonnia should help with this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gejnor posted:

That whole "grounded for 20-30 seconds after landing" thing the devs talked about, which was delayed for bretonnia should help with this.

Should also help for kicking the living poo poo out of things with your flying stuff because it drives me mad when the dude/s keep flying away for no reason.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Gejnor posted:

If i knew how to do this i would definately add that into the mod im currently working on.

Hmm I could swear the regular Slayers had physical resist much like savage orcs do. But it's cool to know that Slayers are so fast. It's just that when they describe a unit as Fast (for a dwarf) it brings to mind AVERAGE, not speedy. I guess the movement speed research pushes it even further.

The RoR version gets a couple other rules I have difficulty understanding.

I'm looking forward to playing your mod. Having Ungrim+lots of good Slayers as the core of your army means an unbreakable mass of Dawi muscle buzzsawing through enemy ranks.

I can't wait

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

JBP posted:

Simple fix idea: Dwarf version of 'stand your ground' gives them improved knockdown resistance. Mighty Oathstone of Defiance ability Belagor can get now makes him immune to knockdown while active, and simply make Ungrim immune to knockdown outright since he should be a badass you sic on big monsters anyway. Thorgrim is fine and Runelords can take anvil mounts.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

goddamn

So I restarted my dwarf campaign to try out the new mods. Got the Silver Road united, so I went ASAP to Mt Gunbad, which is my usual thing.

Enter Grimgor.

loving Grimgor with a full stack.

I never seen orks come up fastballing straight to Dwarf heartland so soon - I was laying siege to Mt Gunbad already, by the time I got back to fight him he raided Squighorn twice and razed the pillars of Grugni, making my longbeards swear upon all traditions that I got to kill the bastard, public order tanked and I had a grudge spiral (hello dwarf fortress) tightening around my neck.

I got them in an underway battle: they all charged at me and mayhem ensued. But then, the best thing happened. Grombrindal and Grimgor started to duel and the latter broke exactly as Grombrindal landed a blow that knocked him down, prompting a massive rout and making my quarrelers and grudge throwers happy as a kid on Christmas (and a mug of mead) as they shot all fleeing bastards.

My economy is in the poo poo, my entire opening expansion was halted, my army was cut in half rebuilding and I am probably going to run against the clock, but totally worth it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This is literally every single one of my Dwarf campaign attempts on hard or above. If I try and wipe out that orc faction that starts off in the pillars of Grungi then they usually confederate just as I am about to wipe them out and then suddenly huge stacks of orks appear.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

ShootaBoy posted:

Running it right now. It and my graphics drivers are up to date, even if the launcher thinks they aren't for some reason.

Are you on a laptop with switch-able graphics? Cause this sound like the game is using the wrong GPU.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've apparently become awful at this games combat. I get into battles the readout tells me I should decimate and get a bloody Pyrrhic victory. I was never the best at the game but I've never had such a discrepancy between playing a battle out and the auto-resolve bar.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A design philosophy I'd like to see in a skill revision mod would be to enable different playstyles that are thematically appropriate to the Legendary Lord/lord type without having to resort to buffing specific units. It's definitely one thing I don't like about some red skill trees, particularly the Dwarfish ones: regardless of your choice between the Dwarf Lord's jack-of-all-trades skill tree (which is also used by Thorgrim, Ungrim, and the White Dwarf) and the Runelord's more aggressively-tuned skill tree thanks to the blanket charge bonus and boosts to Rangers (which is shared by Belegar), you need to dump 3 points into Axe Lord to get through early game. Eventually, those points go to waste because Warriors become outdated.

I do get what they were attempting to do with the Runelord/Belegar skill trees: you make up for your melee core's lack in melee defense/armor with the Runelord's buffs/Belegar's abilities while using your Rangers to flank with both ranged and melee options. IMO, however, I think this is better done through skills that buff unit classes rather than specific units themselves, so players don't feel like they're wasting points on crutch skills.

It's why I feel that the Night Goblin Warboss/Skarsnik tree is probably the best skill tree in the game: it capitalizes on the theme of Night Goblins being stupidly fragile but numerous and recklessly aggressive to the point of actually being major threats on the attack by giving you massive boosts to all Night Goblin and Goblin units' melee attack and charge bonuses when maxed out. It rewards you for taking Goblin units of all kinds and classes, which keeps things thematically appropriate and extremely effective.

It's understandable if factions like the Empire just end up making their melee units meleeier/shooty units shootier/X units X-ier when using the appropriate Lord type, but the Arch-lector and Volkmar shouldn't just have practically the same tree except with big bonuses to Flagellants. If anything, an Empire army with their church militant leaders might be better off thematically with big boosts to melee unit offensive stats and morale, keeping it distinct from how an Empire General-led army would play yet keeping it in the same faction's overall style.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why isn't this in the OP

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

A design philosophy I'd like to see in a skill revision mod would be to enable different playstyles that are thematically appropriate to the Legendary Lord/lord type without having to resort to buffing specific units. It's definitely one thing I don't like about some red skill trees, particularly the Dwarfish ones: regardless of your choice between the Dwarf Lord's jack-of-all-trades skill tree (which is also used by Thorgrim, Ungrim, and the White Dwarf) and the Runelord's more aggressively-tuned skill tree thanks to the blanket charge bonus and boosts to Rangers (which is shared by Belegar), you need to dump 3 points into Axe Lord to get through early game. Eventually, those points go to waste because Warriors become outdated.

I do get what they were attempting to do with the Runelord/Belegar skill trees: you make up for your melee core's lack in melee defense/armor with the Runelord's buffs/Belegar's abilities while using your Rangers to flank with both ranged and melee options. IMO, however, I think this is better done through skills that buff unit classes rather than specific units themselves, so players don't feel like they're wasting points on crutch skills.

It's why I feel that the Night Goblin Warboss/Skarsnik tree is probably the best skill tree in the game: it capitalizes on the theme of Night Goblins being stupidly fragile but numerous and recklessly aggressive to the point of actually being major threats on the attack by giving you massive boosts to all Night Goblin and Goblin units' melee attack and charge bonuses when maxed out. It rewards you for taking Goblin units of all kinds and classes, which keeps things thematically appropriate and extremely effective.

It's understandable if factions like the Empire just end up making their melee units meleeier/shooty units shootier/X units X-ier when using the appropriate Lord type, but the Arch-lector and Volkmar shouldn't just have practically the same tree except with big bonuses to Flagellants. If anything, an Empire army with their church militant leaders might be better off thematically with big boosts to melee unit offensive stats and morale, keeping it distinct from how an Empire General-led army would play yet keeping it in the same faction's overall style.

I kind of chalk this up to power creep. And you don't need to take Axe Lord; I prefer to take Tactician or whatever the range boosting one is, because you WILL still find Quarrelers relevant late game and it also boosts Grudge Throwers as well.

I also have been putting 3 points in Obstinancy as well lately. Since you are generally playing defensively with dwarves, even a subtle edge in vigor means that the attackers will get gassed out before your own units. Its significant because once a unit is in the lowest vigor tier they are MUCH weaker; in the case of Lords its more likely you get them to rout by mobbing them with units because they got tired out to the point their Leadership tanks due to penalties, not because you actually killed them. And ranged units drain vigor when they shoot, so you want them to be at top performance for as much of the battle as possible.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Plus, combined to the fact that you should not be moving Dwarves much to begin with, means that obstinacy helps a fuckton to the actual fighting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panfilo posted:

I kind of chalk this up to power creep. And you don't need to take Axe Lord; I prefer to take Tactician or whatever the range boosting one is, because you WILL still find Quarrelers relevant late game and it also boosts Grudge Throwers as well.

I also have been putting 3 points in Obstinancy as well lately. Since you are generally playing defensively with dwarves, even a subtle edge in vigor means that the attackers will get gassed out before your own units. Its significant because once a unit is in the lowest vigor tier they are MUCH weaker; in the case of Lords its more likely you get them to rout by mobbing them with units because they got tired out to the point their Leadership tanks due to penalties, not because you actually killed them. And ranged units drain vigor when they shoot, so you want them to be at top performance for as much of the battle as possible.

I always beef up vigour for dwarfs because they just don't die and by the time the enemy gets there they're hopefully winded and shaken.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If you guys have any comments/questions on the tier 4 minor mod, I do still lurk the thread once or twice a week.

Paradox just dumped 3 games on me though so I might be a little busy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I do agree Axe Lord gets obsolete pretty quick, especially compared to its counterparts like Honest Steel. And I don't find Miners terribly useful outside a few niche uses (Dwarves generally don't need Armor Piercing early on, and Thunderers/Greatweapon Longbeards are better later on)

Perhaps if they broke it down like this?

Axe Lord: +12 MA/MD to all units with 1H axes (Warriors/Longbeards/Ironbreakers/Quarrelers/Thunderers/Scouts)

Grimnir's Heirs: +12 MA/MD to all units with 2H weapons/duel wielding (Greatweapon variants, Miners, Hammerers, Slayers)

Now Axe Lord becomes a lot more versatile, being able to apply itself to a lot more units while Grimnir's Heirs is more niche. It also benefits your ranged units in melee which makes Rangers in particular decent fighters.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

How do you folks bring direct-fire weapons to bear once your line is engaged? I almost find bringing gunpowder weapons to be a liability half the time because I can never maneuver them into an advantageous position without instantly getting mobbed. Checkerboard works alright in SP, but obviously MP players are better at navigating the open spaces than the AI.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Man, I dunno, even in an unmodded game I feel like Orc Boyz trade surprisingly well against Dwarf Warriors without a maxed out Axe Lord. I definitely do max out Tactician and Obstinacy though, because Quarrelers and Thunderers are both fantastic all the way to the end, and vigour is always important.

Panfilo posted:

I do agree Axe Lord gets obsolete pretty quick, especially compared to its counterparts like Honest Steel. And I don't find Miners terribly useful outside a few niche uses (Dwarves generally don't need Armor Piercing early on, and Thunderers/Greatweapon Longbeards are better later on)

Perhaps if they broke it down like this?

Axe Lord: +12 MA/MD to all units with 1H axes (Warriors/Longbeards/Ironbreakers/Quarrelers/Thunderers/Scouts)

Grimnir's Heirs: +12 MA/MD to all units with 2H weapons/duel wielding (Greatweapon variants, Miners, Hammerers, Slayers)

Now Axe Lord becomes a lot more versatile, being able to apply itself to a lot more units while Grimnir's Heirs is more niche. It also benefits your ranged units in melee which makes Rangers in particular decent fighters.

Yeah, these are the sort of changes I'd like to see in the Dwarf red line. I think an important distinction between the Empire and Dwarf rosters is that practically every Empire unit class with corresponding red skill has a place in every stage of the game, but Axe Lord sticks out as a skill that gets left behind because Longbeards are just plain better than Warriors, and eventually you rake in so much cash that there's no point to taking Warriors when Longbeards/Ironbreakers are available.

I don't play Vampire Counts, but I do remember thinking that they have the same issue with the zombie/skelly skill vs. Grave Guard skill.

EDIT: vvv :stare:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait, you can put multiple points into one skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Wait, you can put multiple points into one skill?

Yeah a lot of the skills have or even 3 tiers.

• Locked thread