Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shageletic posted:

What had the worst final season? Including SoA, Weeds (what even happened there?), and Dexter. I just know what happened in all of them after quitting during their run mainly by how much spleen is thrown out online for them.

Under the Dome.

Anyone have the SoA ending gif for me? I dropped the show after the season 4 finale because it was just that goddamn awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Squirrel Girl's getting a series, apparently. On Freeform.

(They're the ones who are also doing Cloak and Dagger, which is confirmed to have an initial season order that's ten episodes long. Not clear on whether they can/will extend it like they usually do with their dramas.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

What had the worst final season? Including SoA, Weeds (what even happened there?), and Dexter. I just know what happened in all of them after quitting during their run mainly by how much spleen is thrown out online for them.

True Blood had a really bad final season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

(They're the ones who are also doing Cloak and Dagger, which is confirmed to have an initial season order that's ten episodes long. Not clear on whether they can/will extend it like they usually do with their dramas.)

It's a New Warriors series, Squirrel Girl is just the only confirmed member so far. It's also being ran by Kevin Biegel, of Cougar Town and Enlisted fame.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The shame is that a lot of the shows with lovely endings end up unfairly maligning the rest of the series.

Anyone who skips Dexter due to it's crap ending will miss out on the great cat & mouse game between Dexter and the fantastic James Doakes in season 2 and John Lithgow's amazing performance in season 4.

Anyone who skips True Blood due it's lovely ending will miss out on the glorious Russell Edgington

The first 3 seasons of Weeds were actually quite good, and the season 3 finale would've been the perfect ending to the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stop imposing the idea that S4 having one good performance actually redeems the show entering free-fall after season 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone who skips True Blood due it's lovely ending will miss out on the glorious Russell Edgington

Even the last season of True Blood had Eric and Pam's storyline which was pretty fun.

Remember how Christopher Meloni quit SVU after about 12 years to be on True Blood and his character was killed off after about three episodes?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dexter legitimately owned until season 5 episode 1 in which he tells his kids their mom got murdered while he wears Mickey Mouse ears and literally the moment after that scene is when it went into freefall.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My personal huge disappointment was the last season of The Newsroom. Seasons 1 and 2 were campy and often really fuckin funny. S3... sometimes has jokes, but they usually suck, and drama is pushed way too far up. Last episode of season 2 would've made a pretty decent ending too. "Everyone does great at the end" may not be particularly deep, but I didin't necessarily expect that from this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

The first 3 seasons of Weeds were actually quite good, and the season 3 finale would've been the perfect ending to the show.

I'd go further, and argue that the next three seasons are often quite brilliant, if consistently begging the question. Season 4 ends up being quite good despite the cruft, and the first arc in Season 5 is good stuff. Season Six is probably the show's second best season, after the second. At least in my opinion.

The last two are basically horrible, though in retrospect they're clearly a recruiting ground for Orange Is The New Black, a show Jenji Kohan would have much rather have been writing from the moment Nancy went to prison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which season is the one where the kid jerks off to a picture of his mom

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Four.

But, like I said, there was a heavy build up. Of cruft.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

:psyboom:

That's not how you're supposed to do shock humour.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I watched almost 3 seasons of weeds, because a roommate told me that it got good. It was just unfunny garbage the whole time. Not a single character was likeable and the protagonist was just the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I can't speak for Dexter or SOA but in Weeds she marries a Mexican cartel leader/presidential candidate, leaves him when her serial killing son kills his campaign manager, goes to jail, starts running weapons with some Russian brother-sister she's loving, goes to jail again (I think), then somehow makes a fortune on legal weed, manages to settle down her family, and then just blows it all up and ruins their lives one more time because she's a really terrible person.

Or something like that. Weeds was a loving ordeal and I'll never make that mistake again.

Hahaha, what? Everything I read about Weeds makes me glad I quit watching it after the third season, where it should have ended.
If it's anything like those early seasons, I bet they try to frame things as though the audience should view Nancy as a hero through all this poo poo too.

Which one of her kids became a serial killer?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never watched Weeds but I remember one girl in the office who was a big fan insisting to me that it was at least as good as (if not better than) Breaking Bad on the acting, writing and general dramatics fronts which struck me as somewhat unlikely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I watched almost 3 seasons of weeds, because a roommate told me that it got good. It was just unfunny garbage the whole time. Not a single character was likeable and the protagonist was just the worst.

Got good? That's a very strange perspective. The general consensus for those who like it is that Season 1 and 2 were great, and in season 3 it kinda hit a wall by the end. Then it was all garbage after.

I loved the first two seasons, but there's a very, very good chance that it's because I had a massive crush on Mary-Louise Parker. But even that couldn't keep me on board after 3. It was never some high-mark of television, but it was a bunch of fun. It was a perfect companion piece to Californication, which I felt had very similar strengths and flaws at the time.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The best thing about weeds was different bands covering Little Boxes. Regina Spektor was a particular favorite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvEEcc9iC8

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I can't speak for Dexter or SOA but in Weeds she marries a Mexican cartel leader/presidential candidate, leaves him when her serial killing son kills his campaign manager, goes to jail, starts running weapons with some Russian brother-sister she's loving, goes to jail again (I think), then somehow makes a fortune on legal weed, manages to settle down her family, and then just blows it all up and ruins their lives one more time because she's a really terrible person.

Or something like that. Weeds was a loving ordeal and I'll never make that mistake again.

Haha.

I like Kevin Nealon and the brother though.

edit:

pentyne posted:

What ever happened to that show? The last thing I remember was them in LA and a guy who was killing or scarring up women and the 2 main guys were the main suspects but it was really the other assistant who didn't have a penis because his parents were brother and sister and the investigating cop was also his sister was in love with him and then they got away scot free.

I have vague memories of the son turning into a mime....

THe first 2 seasons are legit great tho. That loving serial killer poo poo killed the show

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I also found Californication to be unwatchable despite loving Duchovny from X-Files. Add Dexter to that list and I've sworn off Showtime shows made after 2000.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank god Lynch has enough control that Showtime can't possibly gently caress up Twin Peaks (oh god did I just jinx it)

Homeland s1 is still one of the best seasons of a TV thriller of all time, but of course the biggest issue with the season was Showtime's bullshit decision re: the finale, which is also what hosed up the show more than anything else

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I have vague memories of the son turning into a mime....

THe first 2 seasons are legit great tho. That loving serial killer poo poo killed the show

Jessalyn Gilsig got hosed out a window and into the loving arms of Death, and Sharon Gless murdered a rival talent agent and turned him into an enormous stuffed teddy bear man.

Oh! And Katee Sackhoff was cast as a serial killer who was dating one of the leads, but was quickly recast with notable Katee Sackhoff lookalike, Rose McGowan. Before either of them could actually do any serial killing, McGowan ran into another serial killer in the woods and was murdered.

There. You now have experienced every last noteworthy element belonging to that show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That is a Hannibal-like density of serial killers...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jessalyn Gilsig got hosed out a window and into the loving arms of Death, and Sharon Gless murdered a rival talent agent and turned him into an enormous stuffed teddy bear man.

Oh! And Katee Sackhoff was cast as a serial killer who was dating one of the leads, but was quickly recast with notable Katee Sackhoff lookalike, Rose McGowan. Before either of them could actually do any serial killing, McGowan ran into another serial killer in the woods and was murdered.

There. You now have experienced every last noteworthy element belonging to that show.

The window scene happened in like the third season? The show had a lot of smart, and relatively unique at the time, things to say about beauty, ambition, and society, and really killer dialogue, with Ryan Murphy being especially sharp at the time with not focusing on a billion shows. IDK, I think its worth checking out a few eps in S1 and seeing how you feel about it, then gettting the gently caress out with the ending of S2 and the surprise appearance by Alec Baldwin

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I heard the last season of Sherlock had two poo poo episodes and 1 good one. Which is the good one? I watched the first but it sucked so bad I don't want to toss a coin on the next one. Also, if it's the last one do I need to watch the middle one?

Basically gently caress that show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I heard the last season of Sherlock had two poo poo episodes and 1 good one. Which is the good one? I watched the first but it sucked so bad I don't want to toss a coin on the next one. Also, if it's the last one do I need to watch the middle one?

Basically gently caress that show.

It's the second one.

Also, irregardless of how you feel about the second one do absolutely not watch the third one. I repeat, do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MiddleOne posted:

It's the second one.

Also, irregardless of how you feel about the second one do absolutely not watch the third one. I repeat, do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

I learned my lesson with Godfather III so thanks for the heads up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like an almost decent season of Sherlock could be made by taking the best episode from each season. If you did this with most shows, you'd end up with a disproportionately short season, but in this case, you'd actually get a longer season than any real season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which was the good episode in the first season of Sherlock?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

It's the second one.

Alternatively: Watch the third episode and let the hate flow through you.

(I actually kind of enjoyed it but for the wrong reasons)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Which was the good episode in the first season of Sherlock?

I don't know, I've blocked most of Sherlock from my memory.

Probably none of them. First episode can be summed up as

*Camera briefly focuses on a cab in the background before shifting focus to our characters*
"The killer must be someone who can travel throughout the city without raising any suspicion."
*Camera focuses on a cab in the backgroun*
"Someone that people wouldn't notice. But what kind of person could that be?"
*cab drives by*

I think the second episode was bunch of orientalism and the worst possibly conceived chain of clues in an mystery ever.

The third episode was... I don't even remember. I think there was a bomb vest?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I don't know, I've blocked most of Sherlock from my memory.

Probably none of them. First episode can be summed up as

*Camera briefly focuses on a cab in the background before shifting focus to our characters*
"The killer must be someone who can travel throughout the city without raising any suspicion."
*Camera focuses on a cab in the backgroun*
"Someone that people wouldn't notice. But what kind of person could that be?"
*cab drives by*

I think the second episode was bunch of orientalism and the worst possibly conceived chain of clues in an mystery ever.

The third episode was... I don't even remember. I think there was a bomb vest?

Yeah, bomb vest, swimming pool, and Moriarty are all I remember about S01E03.

I actually thought about going back and rewatching the first few seasons but I have a sinking feeling that the show isn't actually as good as I thought it was at the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Finally, my dream has come true.

http://www.avclub.com/article/alison-brie-steps-ring-first-glow-images-253318

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I just want Freeform to bring back The Middleman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In for Marc Maron.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there another WGA strike possibly on the horizon, then? I noticed a BBC News site headline suggesting the possibility.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ooh, excited for this.

Also started watching Big Little Lies and dug the first episode a bunch.

And I also recall hearing something about a potential WGA strike but that was a few days ago and no news since I believe

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hope and vaseline posted:

The best thing about weeds was different bands covering Little Boxes. Regina Spektor was a particular favorite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvEEcc9iC8

Yeah that was a good one - no wonder she got the Orange is the New Black theme. :D

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

In for Marc Maron.

Why was his show so mediocre? I liked it when Pete Holmes was on, if anyone could direct me to those eps it would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE the WGA strike, this is the tweet I saw a while back:

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/845712200887087104

and this is the current news:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/wga-sends-strike-warning-letter-to-ad-buyers-as-upfronts-loom-1202062086/

Further negotiations begin on Monday.

• Locked thread