Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GotLag posted:

IMO the Japanese response was even worse than the god-awful retarded repair job. The US base at Yokota had the plane on radar, had a helicopter at the crash site within 20 minutes, and rescue teams ready to deploy... and then someone in the Japanese government told them to stand down. The Japanese responders didn't even try to reach the site until the next day, they spent the first night pitching tents in a village 60 km away. Meanwhile a whole bunch of people who survived the initial crash are bleeding and/or freezing to death, with only four survivors by the time Japanese rescuers actually arrived.
drat, that's hosed up. Hundreds of people died so some random dipshit politician could save face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Spatial posted:

drat, that's hosed up. Hundreds of people died so some random dipshit politician could save face.

Most heart-wrenching part was an interview with one of the survivors, detailing how much screaming/crying/begging there was, and how it slowly stopped as the night went on.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sammus posted:

This is absolute insanity.

What the gently caress?? The inner row of rivets and the splice plate literally add nothing to the rest of the repair job. They weren't even connected.

It is going to add some resistance to buckling (unequally) in all directions around the inner rivets though?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

how it slowly stopped as the night went on.

:stare:

That's hosed up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Here's the boiler's trajectory.

There's now security camera footage of the boiler being set free:

http://www.kmov.com/story/35059928/surveillance-footage-of-boiler-explosion-in-soulard-released

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good part starts at 00:50 for impatient people like me.

:staredog:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
How high did that thing go. It's up there for a long time. :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TTerrible posted:

How high did that thing go. It's up there for a long time. :stare:

Some say what landed was just a large chunk of roof, and the boiler itself achieved orbit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Flight time of 16 seconds -> 8 seconds to highest point -> d = 1/2at^2 -> 313.6 meters

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 6, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Others say 313.6 meters. We may never know.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
http://i.imgur.com/TSyYhHm.gifv

Found under the heading "treebuchet"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

haveblue posted:

Flight time of 16 seconds -> 8 seconds to highest point -> d = 1/2at^2 -> 313.6 meters

Witch.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Nocheez posted:

http://i.imgur.com/TSyYhHm.gifv

Found under the heading "treebuchet"

Helmets, gloves, eye protection and steel toed boots, a Safe Work Environment.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Spatial posted:

This is Japan.txt, the new Godzilla movie was a pretty good critique of the absurd bureaucracy of the Japanese government.

Film Critic Ollie Barder posted:

In many ways, this new movie is a searing indictment of how the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami as well as the Fukushima disaster were mishandled by the Japanese administration. In that, the old guard with their overly complex and corpulent bureaucratic ways were simply unable to deal with a crisis in any kind of efficient or fluid way. This is shown repeatedly in [Shin Godzilla], as the high-ranking members of the cabinet, comfortable in their positions of power, use the hierarchical nature of the system they reside within to protect their own positions, at the expense of the lives of their citizens.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Here at our office earlier this week, we had a training school for boiler techs, so you can bet that this whole thing was a hot topic for everyone. Our best guesses were: 1) the burner kept firing on a steam boiler without water, and then water was added, flashing to steam or 2) there was mud buildup inside, holding a fair amount of water that all suddenly flashed in a similar manner. We all knew immediately that it wasn't a natural gas explosion because it was too energetic and came from the bottom of the boiler. Either way, regular maintenance would have avoided this.

I'm just glad my company wasn't the one providing the burner, so we're in the clear.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, a likely excuse, Esplosionface

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Scruff McGruff posted:

This is Japan.txt, the new Godzilla movie was a pretty good critique of the absurd bureaucracy of the Japanese government.

Those are the best parts of the movie though and the movie could have used about 40 more minutes of hilarious bureaucracy

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ramadu posted:

Those are the best parts of the movie though and the movie could have used about 40 more minutes of hilarious bureaucracy

:agreed:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:nsfw: ish (No actual nudity) http://i.imgur.com/XlAq4nK.gifv

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-I9cWBN-LM&t=206s

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ramadu posted:

If you like hilarious bureaucracy, check out The Pentagon Wars, with Kelsey Grammar!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

:nsfw: ish (No actual nudity) [/url]http://i.imgur.com/XlAq4nK.gifv[/url]

Tough titties.

The little kids seem into it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 6, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

i'm

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Will an object launched into the air at a given speed always come back down at the same speed, assuming its ballistic coefficient doesn't change?

Genuinely curious, cause I'm uncertain about the physics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Collateral Damage posted:

Will an object launched into the air at a given speed always come back down at the same speed, assuming its ballistic coefficient doesn't change?

No, an object will have a terminal velocity based on its aerodynamics which can be significantly lower than its initial speed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Aside from air resistance, pretty much. The object is on a ballistic trajectory, and under a constant acceleration due to gravity from the moment the launching force ceases to act on it.

E: poo poo, forgot about terminal velocity, which comes AFAIK from the air resistance that I just handwaved away.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you like hilarious bureaucracy, check out The Pentagon Wars, with Kelsey Grammar!

In the Loop is another great movie about bureaucracy at its finest.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
rotation, center of gravity and whether or not its changing shape in the air based on explody bits also matters. :science: physics is cool.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

In the Loop is another great movie about bureaucracy at its finest.

:yeah:
In the Loop is sublime. I really need to watch The Thick of It sometime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yes.

The most elegant proof of this is that gravity can’t give you free energy, so when a launched object returns to its original altitude, it must have the same kinetic energy (and therefore speed) as when it left.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

Yes.

The most elegant proof of this is that gravity can’t give you free energy, so when a launched object returns to its original altitude, it must have the same kinetic energy (and therefore speed) as when it left.

Right, this is why bullets fall back to earth at super sonic speeds.

"Bullets fired into the air usually fall back with terminal velocities much lower than their muzzle velocity when they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down to the ground. Bullets fired at angles less than vertical are more dangerous, as the bullet maintains its angular ballistic trajectory, is far less likely to engage in tumbling motion, and so travels at speeds much higher than a bullet in free fall."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is normal.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On earth we have this stuff called "air" that exerts a drag force on moving objects.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

"Bullets fired into the air usually fall back with terminal velocities much lower than their muzzle velocity when they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down to the ground. Bullets fired at angles less than vertical are more dangerous, as the bullet maintains its angular ballistic trajectory, is far less likely to engage in tumbling motion, and so travels at speeds much higher than a bullet in free fall."

What if you shoot the gun at an angle while running on a treadmill.

Checkmate nerds.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Atmospheric losses are a bitch for small objects.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

That boiler is large and wasn’t going ridiculously fast.

Neglecting air resistance is a reasonable approximation for boilers but not for bullets.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I want to see some math and citations, pointless loving slapfights have a code of conduct in this thread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ignoring air resistance is a good way to get a ceiling to consider, all that's left is to check the fraction of terminal velocity it is at the high velocity parts to say how confident you are or do some handwaving to estimate what a ceiling would be if it was faster at initiation.

They should probably just stop teaching ballistics in college physics because when discussing on the internet no one seems to remember to check what fraction of terminal velocity its spitting out of the equation at the most kinetic points.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
There's also the fact that it has to accelerate to terminal velocity but let's get back to gifs/pics of poo poo being hosed up both safely and unsafely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Are those treadmills I see?