Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

because people are loving stupid and buy them.....

Who knew Martin had such a large family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Actually I think that the only reason Martin prefers working on Wild Cards is that people aren't that stupid and there are less who buy them.

ASOIAF has tens of millions of readers, that's a lot of pressure which I think the GRRM has difficulties coping with.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And he's not really working on wild cards anyway, he's "editing them" which means he might read them and comment on them but mostly he's licensing his name to be slapped on the front in gigantic print and telling himself he's part of the wild cards team, just like he's part of the Jets and the Giants for watching all their games.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
A friend of mine is reading the books and,since he knows I read them all, often brings up points from them.

One thing he asked that I hadn't considered: The Karstarks threw their dumb fit because Jaime Lannister killed two of the top guy's sons and was then freed for ransom. This, while his actual son and heir was being held captive by the crown. Shouldn't he be first in line talking of ransom and hostage trades instead of putting a price on the Kingslayer's head and murdering teenage Lannisters? Sounds like that would be wiser than basically forcing your king to execute you.

Thinking back, a lot of the conflict, particularly involving the Starks, feels cheap and forced, while, say, Littlefinger, the Boltons and Euron just have cheat codes enabled. Had it been a Stark to sound a magical horn and tell his bannermen he was bringing dragons into the fight, they'd likely have boiled him alive as a sorcerer. But the tradition-bound reavers will make their guy king over dragons no one has seen (Guess it's the medieval version of campaign talk. "We'll build an ice wall and make the wildness pay for it!") despite him being an exiled loon, just so there can be a new threat to keep the Tyrells from taking charge.

It starts getting contrived when there's always a new threat to keep the chaos rolling, and one would think a culture that has had to deal with years-long winters for centuries would know better than to set their world on fire on the edge of what everyone agrees will be the longest cold season in a while.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sephyr posted:

A friend of mine is reading the books and,since he knows I read them all, often brings up points from them.

One thing he asked that I hadn't considered: The Karstarks threw their dumb fit because Jaime Lannister killed two of the top guy's sons and was then freed for ransom. This, while his actual son and heir was being held captive by the crown. Shouldn't he be first in line talking of ransom and hostage trades instead of putting a price on the Kingslayer's head and murdering teenage Lannisters? Sounds like that would be wiser than basically forcing your king to execute you.

Thinking back, a lot of the conflict, particularly involving the Starks, feels cheap and forced, while, say, Littlefinger, the Boltons and Euron just have cheat codes enabled. Had it been a Stark to sound a magical horn and tell his bannermen he was bringing dragons into the fight, they'd likely have boiled him alive as a sorcerer. But the tradition-bound reavers will make their guy king over dragons no one has seen (Guess it's the medieval version of campaign talk. "We'll build an ice wall and make the wildness pay for it!") despite him being an exiled loon, just so there can be a new threat to keep the Tyrells from taking charge.

It starts getting contrived when there's always a new threat to keep the chaos rolling, and one would think a culture that has had to deal with years-long winters for centuries would know better than to set their world on fire on the edge of what everyone agrees will be the longest cold season in a while.

To be fair, people bickering over dumb stuff while a real threat goes unacknowledged is a major theme of the books. Like Dany fantasizes about ~*Daario*~ while she has three uncontrolled dragons locked in her basement. It's an analogy for climate change / nukes, and I bet you someone in the south is going to support the Others invasion in order to destabilize the north.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Karstarks are pretty much Starks so that might explain some of their poor decision making skills.

But really, grieving people making terrible irrational choices cannot be considered 'forced conflict', it's completely natural and really grrm's entire schtick is that the world is kind of like this huge sitcom stage where people make terrible choices based on emotions, misinformation and a sense of entitlement and that these choices have terrible implications that wind up screwing everyone over.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Regarding your first question, at that point Robb has not heard of the battle for Duskendale, he explicitly learns of it in the following Cat chapter.

Presumably Karstark does not know either and so thinks his son is still free.

Irony what.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Has the Absolute Fucker given a release date for Winds of Winter yet?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sure, he said it'd come out before April the 24th of last year.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The winds of winter will be here December 21.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Yellow Whale pooping himself to death and never reaching the storyline's climax was foreshadowing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sephyr posted:

preston jacobs theorizes that the dragon horn controls people, not dragons

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Sephyr posted:

Had it been a Stark to sound a magical horn and tell his bannermen he was bringing dragons into the fight, they'd likely have boiled him alive as a sorcerer. But the tradition-bound reavers will make their guy king over dragons no one has seen (Guess it's the medieval version of campaign talk. "We'll build an ice wall and make the wildness pay for it!") despite him being an exiled loon, just so there can be a new threat to keep the Tyrells from taking charge.
I don't think Euron's selection as king was all that far fetched. The platforms of the main kingsmoot candidates were (i) "I'm the old king's brother! Let's keep doing the same old poo poo we've been doing forever - pissing off the mainlanders with petty raids until they get sufficiently annoyed to come over to our poo poo islands and smash our skulls in! Yeah!", (ii) "I'm the old kings daughter! Let's give up on the whole reaving and raiding thing and become farmers instead! Look at all these loving turnips, rocks, and pinecones!", and (iii) "I'm the old king's other brother! Let's team up and rule the loving world! Here are some amazing piles of filthy lucre I've accumulated by doing things my way while you were all living it up on poo poo island!"

It's not entirely implausible that most people would go for the third option there.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sephyr posted:

The answer to this is that the Ironmen are whiny, stupid dipshits.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't think Euron's selection as king was all that far fetched. The platforms of the main kingsmoot candidates were (i) "I'm the old king's brother! Let's keep doing the same old poo poo we've been doing forever - pissing off the mainlanders with petty raids until they get sufficiently annoyed to come over to our poo poo islands and smash our skulls in! Yeah!", (ii) "I'm the old kings daughter! Let's give up on the whole reaving and raiding thing and become farmers instead! Look at all these loving turnips, rocks, and pinecones!", and (iii) "I'm the old king's other brother! Let's team up and rule the loving world! Here are some amazing piles of filthy lucre I've accumulated by doing things my way while you were all living it up on poo poo island!"

It's not entirely implausible that most people would go for the third option there.

Make iron islands great again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mad Hamish posted:

The answer to this is that the Ironmen are whiny, stupid dipshits.

Who in this series isn't really?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

IRQ posted:

Who in this series isn't really?

Varys, Maester Aemon, and literally no-one else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's a story about a generation of idiots destroying the world. The previous generation was mostly fine. Balon's father, Tywin, Queen of thorns, barristan, etc. Stannis's dad was probably reasonable as well. Not sure about Jon Arryn and obviously aerys was nuts but yeah.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Krinkle posted:

new thread title?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I was listening to Boiled Leather Hour, the GOT podcast, and they were predicting that in the last two books (lol) or seasons, the political intrigue storylines would kind of fade away in favor of Dany/Jon/Fire/Ice/Magic stuff. Do we think that's the case? I really like Littlefinger and Varys and watching Cersei fail at everything, and I'd be real disappointed if the story just ended with dragons fighting ice spiders. (Also Danerys is the least interesting part of the story so gently caress me if that's how it turns out)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

von Metternich posted:

I was listening to Boiled Leather Hour, the GOT podcast, and they were predicting that in the last two books (lol) or seasons, the political intrigue storylines would kind of fade away in favor of Dany/Jon/Fire/Ice/Magic stuff. Do we think that's the case? I really like Littlefinger and Varys and watching Cersei fail at everything, and I'd be real disappointed if the story just ended with dragons fighting ice spiders. (Also Danerys is the least interesting part of the story so gently caress me if that's how it turns out)

HBO controls the franchise now so it probably mostly depends on what their dragon burning poo poo budget is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LemonDrizzle posted:

You could be reading Maurice Druon right now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The whole third book in the original trilogy plan was going to be all about ice zombies. GRRM always wanted the end of this story to be about ice zombies.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mad Hamish posted:

Varys, Maester Aemon, and literally no-one else.

Nymeria is a wolf who goes around eating Freys cause she don't give a gently caress.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Cavelcade posted:

Nymeria is a wolf who goes around eating Freys cause she don't give a gently caress.

The Freys are cursed in the eyes of Gods and men.

I honestly think the biggest disappointment of the TV show is the total lack of Frey pies. I can handle the watering-down of Cersei's Continuous Mistake and Ramsay Bolton, but the Frey pies were glorious.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Did you miss the scene where Arya killed Walder while he was eating his kids?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Thats one Frey pie, he clearly said Frey pies

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Two Freys, One Pie

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That's One! One Frey Pie, ah-ah-ah!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
honestly how could the show kill walder frey its so dumb. its very clear that hes going to be the last living frey as wolfs and the entire continent of nobility all hate him and are enforcing the curse for his breaking of guest right

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

violent sex idiot posted:

honestly how could the show kill walder frey its so dumb. its very clear that hes going to be the last living frey as wolfs and the entire continent of nobility all hate him and are enforcing the curse for his breaking of guest right

it was very anticlimactic

didn't like that scene for arya or walder

say what you will about the books but that was very tv, like whedonesque

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

How could I be satisfied with that when we could have had Fat Lord Manderley singing the song about the Rat Cook, dancing around Winterfell's great hall and serving Frey pies to the gathered Boltons and Freys at Ramsay Bolton's wedding to the faux-Arya? Christ, they even could have got the Bloated One to play him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hahahahaa goddamn. Latest 1000 worlds book club, preston goes off on Bayonne NJ. I've been around but I confuse similar names and can't remember if bayonne was the nice place my ex was from and I drove to once, or if it's a literal hellhole that preston describes and that GRRM grew up in.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

The only thing that would be better on this picture is an unwritten manuscript on a table in the corner

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
what does an unwritten manuscript look like? there could be dozens there

his house is probably littered with them

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

lapse posted:

The only thing that would be better on this picture is an unwritten manuscript on a table in the corner

I'll see what I can do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Krinkle posted:

Hahahahaa goddamn. Latest 1000 worlds book club, preston goes off on Bayonne NJ. I've been around but I confuse similar names and can't remember if bayonne was the nice place my ex was from and I drove to once, or if it's a literal hellhole that preston describes and that GRRM grew up in.

Bayonne is a complete shithole.