Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

The "good" thing about all these versions of the gatewatch in standard is that they compete for space in the same decks. Can't just jam all the black PWs without running into issues.

Just realized that the second a superfriends deck becomes even remotely playable again it will be renamed <colors> Gatewatch instead of superfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

4 drop 4/1 for red, exert to get another combat. Mythic.

2 drop for white, 3/1, exert to make it +1/+3 and give it lifelink. Rare

Hmm....

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wow, I ordered a set of Always Watching yesterday and am really glad, Glory-bound initiate swinging as a 5/5 on T3 is crazy and probably only permissible in a standard with Fatal Push.

Love that Liliana, I'm thinking you could play her with some Last Hopes? Load up the yard early with Last Hope or slow the opponent down until she dies or you can cash her in for the emblem, drop this and get your best critter or just poo poo zombies.

don't know about GB Delirium though, we've already seen a serviceable hate card against it. Or am I overvaluing a sideboard card?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The cat is not a very good hate card for Delirium if that's the one you're referring to and the black one probably doesn't get rid of a large enough mass to stop Delirium

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

don't know about GB Delirium though, we've already seen a serviceable hate card against it. Or am I overvaluing a sideboard card?

You've fallen for whatever bullshit spell led KLD standard to have no GY hate at all.

There were several GY decks with RTR in standard, which had Deathrite Shaman and Rest In Peace. It takes more than a few hate cards to stop an archetype.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You've fallen for whatever bullshit spell led KLD standard to have no GY hate at all.

There were several GY decks with RTR in standard, which had Deathrite Shaman and Rest In Peace. It takes more than a few hate cards to stop an archetype.

That's fine mate, will finally play my Flayers! Although White is looking good and I always favor Orzhov. You're probably right although I do like the black card as sideboard tech, and I do think it can turn off Delirum in most cases by taking artifact creatures and the types that more rarely go to the yard, it's my experience of delirium anyway. I do think Scounger is getting hit hard by the new set though, so it remains to be seen what it does to Saheli combo.

I still think Guardian should be banned, but now think it's a shame since then it can't bounce the catlord to make a couple more 2/2 lifelinkers, whilst being a 2/5 lifelinker itself. It would still be able to if it was properly restricted to non-planeswalker types.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Count Bleck posted:

3 drop

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And they can go in the same deck!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wait, are we getting two Gideon's in this set, Of the Trials and Martial Paragon? That can't be right...can it?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Wait, are we getting two Gideon's in this set, Of the Trials and Martial Paragon? That can't be right...can it?
Martial Paragon is the 5 cmc barely playable Gideon PW from the Intro deck. That card comes from there.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Of the Trials is the one in packs, Martial Paragon is specific to the planeswalker deck supplementary product (and, while technically Standard legal, is designed to be not good enough to see play).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Intro decks, I think? They're the ones that refer to walkers by name

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The Liliana is quite good even for a 5 mana planeswalker. 5 base loyalty and +1 to make a blocker is hard to crack. I think every planeswalker that ticks up to make a creature token has been a constructed staple at some point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

The Liliana is quite good even for a 5 mana planeswalker. 5 base loyalty and +1 to make a blocker is hard to crack. I think every planeswalker that ticks up to make a creature token has been a constructed staple at some point.

Thinking about it, she has some commonality with Elspeth, Sun's Champion, making blockers on her +, and a selective sweeper in your favor (although Lili's is an ultimate instead of something she can do on dropping)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
LOL @ making Gideon's Resolve so kids can say to their mom "Well you need to buy me this intro pack cuz that Gideon card I need to use w/this one

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

LOL @ making Gideon's Resolve so kids can say to their mom "Well you need to buy me this intro pack cuz that Gideon card I need to use w/this one
You do realize that gideon's resolve only exists in that intro pack, right?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

2 drop for white, 3/1, exert to make it +1/+3 and give it lifelink. Rare

Hmm....

Having bad mythics is Red's part of the color pie.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Really neat design, really bad card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really neat design, really bad card

Might be a combo hoser option in modern

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Wish the other side were instant

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

Might be a combo hoser option in modern

Not with the weak silence side being sorcery speed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

It last until the start of your next turn, though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Its until your next turn, works slightly different than silence. RTFC.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Wish the other side were instant

that would make the card potentially good instead of what it is now though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its until your next turn, works slightly different than silence. RTFC.

What's stopping them from just casting the card they were trying to cast again?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not enough mana, for example.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Not having enough mana I guess. If they can just recast it after you bounce it it's pretty awful.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

not having enough mana, you would use it in similar situations as remand (except without the option of having a cantrip when you need it), except i don't think remand is good without the cantrip effect

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

not having enough mana, you would use it in similar situations as remand (except without the option of having a cantrip when you need it), except i don't think remand is good without the cantrip effect
Well, IT IS a cantrip. A cantrip that can only draw "Comply".

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Remand is playable, and it's situationally worse than Failure//Comply. If opponent has enough mana to just replay the spell you counter, than neither card will get you out of a jam. If they don't have enough mana to re-cast, then depending on the board and your hand, spending W to get an extra turn to act before they can redeploy their threat sometimes will be better than drawing a card but having to keep hard-counter mana up next turn.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is it at all relevant that Failure works on uncounterable spells while Remand does not?

edit:

Oh hey, with choose a cardname, how does that work with these split/aftermath cards? I'm sure there's already rules about it since they've existed for a while.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I actually had to look that one up, but it's pretty straightforward:

708.7. Each split card has two names. If an effect instructs a player to name a card and the player wants to name a split card, the player must name one of those names and not both. An object has the chosen name if one of its names is the chosen name.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

Is it at all relevant that Failure works on uncounterable spells while Remand does not?

it's relevant for serpopard (god that name) and uhhhhh that might be it actually

in modern it's relevant for the rare Supreme Verdict deck and, once again, not much else

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not too many people running Boseiju then? :D

I have no idea what the meta's like, thanks for the info.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mandatory lesbian posted:

in modern it's relevant for the rare Supreme Verdict deck and, once again, not much else

Abrupt Decay and Cavern of Souls.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This seems really exploitable somehow but I'm not sure exactly how

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You know what this reminds me of? Reflector Mage

A really bad Reflector Mage for spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The card that should belong in G/B snakes actually just hoses it, because Constrictor says only creatures you control.

I think that is a cool card though. The 1/1s having Deathtouch is kind of bonkers.

• Locked thread