Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lurked without an account for years until I finally bought in to post dumb poo poo in GBS (this was back in the day when the logged out experience was way less annoying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Snak posted:

I got into SA from the front page. Like, I had gaming friends in first college who would share front page articles and stuff. After awhile of following that, I mentioned a front page article to one of them, and they were like "oh, I don't even look at the front page anymore, I just hang out on the forums". So of course I looked into that. Now I haven't looked at the front page in years.

there's a front page?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Guild Wars 2 brought me to SA. I'd known about it for a very long time, since high school at least, but never signed up or really looked at the forums much. Eventually I'm pretty sure I joined up for the GW2 guild and then lurked for like a year before I started posting too much.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I read the front page for years without even peaking at the forums. Then I got into LP Archive and read a bunch of things there, and finally figured that I should check out the common denominator. It's been good so far. I mostly read the Games chat, Trump mock/chat, and the webcomics thread throughout the day, with some of the Schadenfreude PFY during lunch. I try to be funny in BYOB with limited success. One of my favorite things about the forums is how varied it is and how much of a resource it can be in crowd sourcing an answer from a group of people with more knowledge than myself. Like when I bought a house I posted about it in the buying a house thread, and when I owned the house I posted about it in the homeowners thread. There's a thread about investing I can ask questions in, and about model building when I decided to dabble in a new hobby. Now I have an IT job and there's a a few threads about that, and when I start playing around with Game Maker there's a thread for that. Each of these is like a little community with some overlap in members, but I've never found one to be hostile.

Some people go to Reddit, and some scroll through Metafilter, but make mine SA any day.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new game looks weird

https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/850003986769956865

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I tried going to reddit for a few months, as a "what if the SA lights suddenly shut off" move, and that place is just so god drat awful. I'd still take SA on its worst days than any of that nonsense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I might have joined Reddit a long time ago and forgotten about this place but its structure and culture are such a put-off. No avatars so individuality is hard to come by, the way threads branch off, and the points system that encourages similar opinions, memes, quotes/references, and posting as fast as possible. Every message board I moved to over the years was an upgrade over the previous one. If SA ever dies and I have to go to Reddit it'll feel like a downgrade.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I learned about SA through my Ragnarok Online private server. I also learned about my dislike for MMORPGs then too

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think I learned about SA from people I played EQ with but I lurked around the paywall for like 4 years before finally joining.

e: that Vice article is actually really good, thanks for the trip down memory lane chat thread

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I use both. The great thing about reddit is how much you can curate the content. By editing your subscriptions and creating multireddits and stuff. I don't think it's much more toxic than this place as long as you use tools to avoid or tag toxic elements.

It's gotten very worse much recently, probably due to Trump. A lot of misogynist poo poo is making it to the unfiltered front page. But that's what happens when you take a cross section of the entire internet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I use Reddit for their scale modeling subreddits which are actually good and have little enough people to build a community and one or two game specific reddits, but I'm gonna be real sad when these forums shut down because 99% of Reddit is lovely and annoying to read.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even though it was only a few years ago I can't remember how I actually found SA. One day I somehow found myself reading the forums, got annoyed by the paywall, and eventually just ponied up the dough and bought an account .

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I use Reddit for their scale modeling subreddits which are actually good and have little enough people to build a community and one or two game specific reddits, but I'm gonna be real sad when these forums shut down because 99% of Reddit is lovely and annoying to read.

yeah, when these forums shut down, I will have 900% more time to actually work on fixing my life.

Which I will devote to video games and shows.

Without CineD, why would I even watch movies...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do they pronounce CineD like Sunny D over there

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea. I probably mentally pronounce it like that. Like Vampire Hunter D.

Sin D.

Cindy.

I have no idea. I don't think I (or probably anyone, for that matter) has ever had cause to actually say it out loud...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I used to dailypost in the CineD general thread for years, and I got my avatar around the 2008 writers strike (it's about to become relevant again, time is a flat circle). Then I got super busy for a couple of years and just kept tabs on a couple TV/game threads before landing in the Giant Bomb thread. When that blew up for a hot second I needed somewhere to post my takes on games so this entered into my rotation

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will say that Games has the best chat thread of the forums I browse and it's not even close. So good on that, Games folks, I say.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really leave my bookmarks page. I bookmark the CineD, Games, and TVIV gen chat threads, the threads for movies I'm currently interested in, sometimes threads for shows that I'm watching (but less and less of this).

Threads for programming languages and poo poo that I'm currently using, stuff like that. And then I just sit around f5ing my bookmarks page waiting for an excuse to post.

My life is garbage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One forum I don't really get is NeoGAF. I feel like I didn't hear about it at all until suddenly it's where a lot of game devs are posting and all the big leaks get posted and every games site has at least one story sourced to a NeoGAF poster per week. I suppose I'm not the most observant person but, at least the way I'd been using the internet, it seemed to just materialize out of nowhere into a place that games websites care about a ton and I can't stand to read for more than two minutes at a time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's as garbage as any other random gaming forum and the owner's a dipshit from what I've seen, but it blocks free email accounts and I guess that's enough.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Harrow posted:

One forum I don't really get is NeoGAF. I feel like I didn't hear about it at all until suddenly it's where a lot of game devs are posting and all the big leaks get posted and every games site has at least one story sourced to a NeoGAF poster per week. I suppose I'm not the most observant person but, at least the way I'd been using the internet, it seemed to just materialize out of nowhere into a place that games websites care about a ton and I can't stand to read for more than two minutes at a time.

It's been there for a while.Still poo poo back then, still poo poo now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's weird how tastes align, I liked how the devs from both Obsidian and Paradox posted on the SA forums and coincidentally enough they have made some of my all-time-favorite games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My impression of NeoGAF was that its one of those forums that's more interested in fostering a collective opinion than encouraging discussion. Threads there often read like everyone loves a game or think its the worst ever, at least to me.

It's kind of boring.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

neogaf is the one where the guy named his son Kale i think

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

I don't think that comic exists anymore, KC Green gutted half of the Horribleville archive :(
(yes, we still have image leeching rules, just upload everything to Imgur)

It's 2017, nobody gives a poo poo about image leeching

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Image leeching is no longer a problem cause most websites probably have more bandwidth than the forums. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a hotlinked image display correctly since I started using https on the forums.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I joined SA so long ago that it was because I liked the front page.

It's a little weird that Zack Parsons wasn't interviewed for that piece, he was kind of a big deal in the forums' history. Maybe he's a recluse now.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The funny thing is and maybe I"m in the minority because I don't know the general consesus but I feel SA's Game threads are the least console warrior poo poo in random game forums I been too.

Like here? The Nintendo goons are pretty chill. Nintendo gaf? Annoying rear end smug pricks. Seriously the NPD thread was the worst because holy poo poo was it just cheerleading.

I joined SA for the LPs, and then I ventured into Games and stayed there. I end up getting some good goon steam friends along the way.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Game devs don't post on Neogaf. The last one was Dyack and they chased him off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shindragon posted:

The funny thing is and maybe I"m in the minority because I don't know the general consesus but I feel SA's Game threads are the least console warrior poo poo in random game forums I been too.

Like here? The Nintendo goons are pretty chill. Nintendo gaf? Annoying rear end smug pricks. Seriously the NPD thread was the worst because holy poo poo was it just cheerleading.

Man that's pretty much why SA got gigantic, in my opinion. Once they got big enough that they started having subforums for various interests and people noticed how comparatively civil and intelligent it was, people flocked here. Why post on comic book forums that are 90% people talking about which teen titan they'd want to gently caress or if Batman could beat Goku when you could post on BSS?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what's an sa forums

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

what's an sa forums

It's the forums for streetwise Latinos.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's the forums for streetwise Latinos.

Goddamn you, that made me chuckle a bit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The previews for Agents of Mayhem have been universally negative, even from people liked Saints Row. One guy even compared it to Battleborn in terms of how anemic both the humor and the gameplay was.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Looper posted:

It's 2017, nobody gives a poo poo about image leeching

I remember when people were still required to put 56k warnings in thread titles

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lurdiak posted:

if Batman could beat Goku when you could post on BSS?

goku would win tho

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

I remember when people were still required to put 56k warnings in thread titles

Oh yeah. I guess no one really does that any more. Since like, our phones can now load image threads.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Oh, we're doing stories? Okay. I knew SA from way back, back when Planet Quake was still a thing. I visited the site more for the front page content, being vaguely aware that the site has a forum. It was not until I got hooked by the Long Play series of Deadly Premonitions that I finally succumbed and bought an account. So, uh, hello.

One thing I like about this site is the quality of company here. The $10 payment culls out the worst, and the mods here are pretty good at maintaining some sort of law and order. Despite that, there's a relaxed atmosphere around here. Well, most of the time. I guess that's why I spend most of my online time here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like the idea. but the mechanics(pick 3 of 12 or so heroes) and gently caress about in open world with boring looking shooting controls, looks meh. i like volition alot, so i hope it ends up good.

Guy Mann posted:

The previews for Agents of Mayhem have been universally negative, even from people liked Saints Row. One guy even compared it to Battleborn in terms of how anemic both the humor and the gameplay was.

yeah, i got the same impression, which makes me sad. volition is usualy pretty good with gameplay and humor(unlike gearbox) so its sad that they poo poo this thing out. it definitely has a battleborn quality to it.

Ometeotl posted:

Game devs don't post on Neogaf. The last one was Dyack and they chased him off.

yeah, its mostly journalists and weirdos now. its all political threads and graphics fights now too.

• Locked thread