Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

weird Asian candy posted:

That is my biggest intimidation. I have honed my eating in so I know exactly where I am at and how to portion stuff out, so it is daunting to think about starting over trying to re-figure out calories and now add macros onto it. I have heard The Renaissance Diet is a good book for this, can you c/d?

I haven't read it but I know that more knowledgeable fitness people love the authors of the Renaissance Diet and it's very well researched and effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What would everyone's last meal be, mine would be a great grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.

Shrimp and grits, the version with tasso ham and a brown gravy. Something like this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I haven't read it but I know that more knowledgeable fitness people love the authors of the Renaissance Diet and it's very well researched and effective

Ok, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy it. I need a dummies guide to macros because I don't even know where the gently caress to begin :(

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Yes. 40/40/20 (Protein/Carbs/Fat) seems to be the baseline, yea?

And I guess to spin off on that, in a macro diet, calories no longer matter? You hit your macro numbers and watch magic happen? :v:
Personally, I allocate the majority of my intake to fat and protein while keeping carbs to the minimum, and I measure in grams. Although I'm not counting calories per se, I do feel fuller eating more fat and protein, and as a result have been eating less calories than I normally would. YMMV, but combining my macros with intense exercise has worked wonders for me in the past year.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

guys my productivity is through the roof ever since i got this standing desk

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ehud posted:

My coworkers would make so much fun of me

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I think it's too tall then

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What would everyone's last meal be, mine would be a great grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.

I made a grill cheese sandwich this week with Kerry Gold, pepper jack, havarti and sliced avocados. God it was so loving good.

My last meal would probably be a ribeye cap steak with roasted potatoes. Or maybe a burger with pepper jack, bacon, red onion and lettuce on a toasted roll.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ehud posted:

They're great, I have one of the electric ones so I can go up/down as needed.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Personally, I allocate the majority of my intake to fat and protein while keeping carbs to the minimum, and I measure in grams. Although I'm not counting calories per say, I do feel fuller eating more fat and protein, and as a result have been eating less calories than I normally would. YMMV, but combining my macros with intense exercise has worked wonders for me in the past year.

Awesome, that is what I am hoping for! Did you find it hard to measure out grams for fat/protein?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Awesome, that is what I am hoping for! Did you find it hard to measure out grams for fat/protein?
Nope, I just read the labels. And for things like veggies (for counting carbs) I just hit up Google :shobon:

It also helps to have measuring cups/spoons handy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Just get an app for your phone. I use MyFitnessPal, it's hardly perfect but will almost definitely suit your needs.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Awesome, thanks swolemates :glomp:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Qwijib0 posted:

I think it's too tall then

lol

Blitz7x posted:

My coworkers would make so much fun of me

Why do you care what people think of you

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can you please post a picture of the standing desk??

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Just get an app for your phone. I use MyFitnessPal, it's hardly perfect but will almost definitely suit your needs.

I use the same thing. It has a large number of stuff already in there, too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

A Man and his dog posted:

Ok.

All you have to do, is a poo poo ton of Cardio. Eat lean. Just eat a gently caress ton of veggies.

If that doesn't work.

Well I'm sorry you got hosed up genetics and nothing will help you.

Speaking as someone with hosed up genetics that nothing will help, that other stuff is still a good idea. You can watch your weight go up slowly over the years instead of rocket up very quickly!

loving genetics.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ehud posted:

Why do you care what people think of you

In a Texas corporate work environment that's half the battle

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blitz7x posted:

In a Texas corporate work environment that's half the battle

they will think better of you when you are dominating every day with your power stance

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This was such a great read, freakin' hilarious. You are making me miss my paramedic days and all the hours spent in the ER for clinicals :(

Also Fiz, you mentioned macros. I've been toying with the idea of starting to do the whole macro thing, but honestly it is intimidating and I feel like it would be stupid difficult. I'm sure it's not that bad and it's just getting used to weighing things, but you have any resources I can read or any advice on starting up on a macro plan?

the new hotness is RP periodization.

their spreadsheets are easy to follow and theyre relatively inexpensive

if you want to start with something easy, just look up a guide online.

biggest advice i can give is eat simple at first. you can go nuts looking up recipes and poo poo that "perfectly match blah blah blah." i eat a lot of chopped chicken, brussel sprouts salad, and sweet potatoes.

just buy a cheap little scale.

i can write more when i have two hands.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Good morning friendos

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A Man and his dog posted:

Can you please post a picture of the standing desk??

It's hard to get a good pic w/o doxxing myself or others

Pats fan coworker used to sit on the other side of that glass

You have to get a good standing mat btw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that mousepad is filthy

even with a mat I figure my legs would get really tired after like 10-12 hours

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

be honest youre watching 3 headed shark attack at work

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Leperflesh posted:

that mousepad is filthy

even with a mat I figure my legs would get really tired after like 10-12 hours

yeah I have used this mousepad since my wife got it for me like 7 years ago

It is disgusting and I love it

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ehud that's a good standing mans desk.

:allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I made the mistake of discussing my diet on the cord, glad to see a lot of the comments here are similar to my strat

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Jambalaya, gumbo, a side of fried catfish, okra and cornbread

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

It's hard to get a good pic w/o doxxing myself or others

Pats fan coworker used to sit on the other side of that glass

You have to get a good standing mat btw

2 phones
2 screens
2 real 4 u

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

be honest youre watching 3 headed shark attack at work

I am listening to Sebadoh while I provision mobile devices for cops

I WISH I was watching 3 headed shark

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

I am listening to Sebadoh while I provision mobile devices for cops

I WISH I was watching 3 headed shark

send them Nokias

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

send them Nokias

real talk I hope we get involved in the body cam business to I can be part of THE SOLUTION

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

real talk I hope we get involved in the body cam business to I can be part of THE SOLUTION

reverse the switch for on/off without telling them and enable true justice

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Do you make cameras unreliable and fragile enough for them?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Ehud posted:

With regards to that: any thoughts on Taser going whole hog on body cams and offering free trials? http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15195304/taser-renamed-axon-body-camera-free-trials-offer

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

the new hotness is RP periodization.

their spreadsheets are easy to follow and theyre relatively inexpensive

if you want to start with something easy, just look up a guide online.

biggest advice i can give is eat simple at first. you can go nuts looking up recipes and poo poo that "perfectly match blah blah blah." i eat a lot of chopped chicken, brussel sprouts salad, and sweet potatoes.

just buy a cheap little scale.

i can write more when i have two hands.

Awesome, thank you I'll check it out! I'll also eagerly await your two handed detailed information:v:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anals of History posted:

With regards to that: any thoughts on Taser going whole hog on body cams and offering free trials? http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15195304/taser-renamed-axon-body-camera-free-trials-offer

This stuff always sounds great but when you look into most devices you run into:

- crappy battery life that doesn't make it through a shift

- good battery life but so bulky that cops refuse to wear them because it "interferes with their ability to do their job"

- crappy hardware that legitimately malfunctions

- costly infrastructure to store a ton of video. small PD's and SO's can't afford this

- it's super easy to just turn the camera off and still beat people up so what's the point

It's another one of those problems where there is a million excuses to not adopt the technology right now so we just need legislation that makes it mandatory, including laws that make LEA's accountable for keeping equipment in good condition, getting cops out of the field for repairs if their equipment isn't working correctly, storing video for X amount of years, etc. If it's mandatory then private companies will spend a ton of time and money getting the tech right in order to score gigantic government contracts. Right now it's a hard sell.

Problem is no one actually cares that much about protecting minorities from getting beat up :-/

When talking to customers you have to frame it like, "this is to protect your officers!" lol

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have a date tonight.

I think I'll take her to sushi.

Ive, known her for a while

She's super Italian, so her nephew will probably kill me tonight...

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
just remember that no means no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In my opinion people getting beatings is actually not the biggest problem, although it's what gets press. The biggest issue is police giving false testimony in court. When it comes down to it, most cases never go to trial in part because of the huge advantage the state has in any given arrest. Defense attorneys know that if a police officer takes the stand and says "I saw the suspect doing X," almost all juries will believe them regardless of other testimony including eyewitnesses.

I was in a long, dragged-out murder trial jury selection a few months ago and one of the consistent questions asked of panelists was whether they gave police officers' witness testimony more, equal, or less weight. Almost everyone said more, usually because in their opinion, police are "trained to notice things better" or something. The reality is that police officers are also human beings who have very faulty memories and in addition they have a huge incentive to say whatever they need to say on the stand to get the perp convicted.

I think putting cameras on cops just to record their day to day interactions with the public and especially their normal, routine arrests are going to go a long way towards keeping them honest on the stand. And in turn, defenses having access to that video will give public defenders the ability to actually assess whether their client did what the cop says they saw them doing. And on the other side of things, when police really do witness people committing crimes, they won't have to rely on just a cop's testimony.

If we can also eliminate the regular beatings of minorities, homeless people, and people with mental health issues, that'd be great too.

• Locked thread