Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:chloe: It's weird that you found the ending of ME3 that strong.

It's a strong gently caress you to the player.

Destroy should have just been walking away from the conduit or telling it gently caress off, and your universal readiness and whatever points dictating the impacts on the world. Instead they cheapened the whole "gather your forces and prove the strength of a united galaxy" with a mcguffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

lovely Wizard posted:

Destroy should have just been walking away from the conduit or telling it gently caress off, and your universal readiness and whatever points dictating the impacts on the world. Instead they cheapened the whole "gather your forces and prove the strength of a united galaxy" with a mcguffin.

They did finally include that ending, where the ancient and powerful army built over millions of years that has guided the development of civilization completely rolls over the coalition you put together last week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lovely Wizard posted:

You're missing the point of his post.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was also the weirdo merge with robot ending that was presently as not awful, when it really was, and the only benefit was Joker gets to bang robots easier.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

fruit on the bottom posted:

They did finally include that ending, where the ancient and powerful army built over millions of years that has guided the development of civilization completely rolls over the coalition you put together last week.

It really is the best ending.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Sounds like this patch killed multiplayer for the clued-in number crunching set, hope it didn't gently caress up SP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I just found out there's a Fusion Mod that resets your cooldowns on kill(but reduces power recharge by 50%). How did anyone think that was a good idea it's so loving broken. And on the other end of the spectrum there's a mod that increases hover duration by 100% and reduces weapon damage by 30%.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RatHat posted:

So I just found out there's a Fusion Mod that resets your cooldowns on kill(but reduces power recharge by 50%). How did anyone think that was a good idea it's so loving broken. And on the other end of the spectrum there's a mod that increases hover duration by 100% and reduces weapon damage by 30%.

It's a good idea because broken poo poo in huge RPG games is great.

And there are a lot of things that boost abilities during hover, so that hover Aug can be really cool.

Also there's an AVP that cuts fusion mod penalties in half.

:getin:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Said it before and I'll say it again, the Destroy ending is entirely in keeping with the motivation you have for the entire game of making sacrifices in a war that cannot be won though conventional means in order to pin all your hopes on a superweapon you don't completely understand.

And the superweapon does exactly what you hoped it would - use the mass relay network to destroy all reaper tech.

It wasn't the best written thing ever, especially given the ambiguity over what happens next, but also people got unreasonably unhappy that an entire game themed on victory through sacrifice should have a conclusion where winning meant accepting one final big sacrifice. Or you could just borgify everyone. Or yourself. But really crucially - those other two options are what the Star Child offers as alternatives to the Crucible doing exactly what it was designed to do.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

She's not the only one

Goddamn those are some huge pupils.

One of the critiques I have heard about ME:A's faces is that people do not normally open their eyes enough to see the upper 1/4th of their pupils, let alone the whites above it, and ME:A had their eyes wide open all the time. When combined with the "my neutral expression is smiling, I'm always smiling" it makes everyone look like a creepy stalker sociopath.

Adjusting all of the eyelid animations is probably too much work, did they just decide to increase the pupil sizes to compensate?

The rest of the changes to the eye's texture and shading look good though. They were unnaturally bright before, like they had no shading at all, just blobs of white.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Saddest Robot posted:

Goddamn those are some huge pupils.
Sara's been :350:

Patch on PS4 is just over 2 gigs. That's a lot of eyeballs to fix!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alchenar posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again, the Destroy ending is entirely in keeping with the motivation you have for the entire game of making sacrifices in a war that cannot be won though conventional means in order to pin all your hopes on a superweapon you don't completely understand.

And the superweapon does exactly what you hoped it would - use the mass relay network to destroy all reaper tech.

It also blows all the Geth up too, for some reason, even though not all of them have Reaper tech (or most of them? What happened to those space stations). Though that's not really a big deal since you can just put them back together like Tali's dad did.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

SgtSteel91 posted:

She's not the only one

she looks baked as f

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

she looks baked as f

If you're not playing Sara Ryder as someone w/a Prothean-themed bong in her cryo pod you're not playing correctly

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
patch notes — fired mac walters

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

patch notes — fired mac walters

I still don't get what the point of using a new studio was if they had oversight/management/leading/whatever from the people that let ME3's mess happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mac Walters only came in to land the plane when the original narrative director, author of the modern masterpiece Halo 4, left the project early.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lovely Wizard posted:

I still don't get what the point of using a new studio was if they had oversight/management/leading/whatever from the people that let ME3's mess happen.

Labor?

Also, Origin won't let me connect online, not for the past few days now. gently caress that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RBA Starblade posted:

It also blows all the Geth up too, for some reason, even though not all of them have Reaper tech (or most of them? What happened to those space stations). Though that's not really a big deal since you can just put them back together like Tali's dad did.

Lacking things like the Geth is another thing that makes Andromeda sort of boring. There's not enough "extra" to it compared to even mass effect 1.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Mac Walters only came in to land the plane when the original narrative director, author of the modern masterpiece Halo 4, left the project early.

"Oh my god, the pilot abandoned us, we're going to crash! Quick, are there any other pilots on this flight, anyone who has flown a plane before? In training? Military pilots?"

"Well uh, I drove a garbage truck once. It was on fire, and it crashed."

"You'll do."

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

exquisite tea posted:

Oh the main writer left in early 2016. I mean I guess they could have did a radical set of rewrites like Mac Walters was known which created the ME3 ending, but it seems Halo 4 writer guy was probably a much bigger factor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taear posted:

Lacking things like the Geth is another thing that makes Andromeda sort of boring. There's not enough "extra" to it compared to even mass effect 1.

I guess Bioware just didn't want to bother but it wouldn't have been hard to justify them being there; they found the cluster first after all. We know that they mostly are peaceful from ME2 (but no one besides Shepard does), so they could have had tension about no one being sure what the Geth are going to do, have a sidequest deciding how to respond to things that may seem hostile and reinforce how the Initiative is having trouble letting go old grudges. They haven't expanded to the whole area already because they also ran into the giant space cloud.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 6, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RBA Starblade posted:

Legion uploads the reaper code to all the geth at the end of the Rannoch arc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Legion uploads the reaper code to all the geth at the end of the Rannoch arc.

Oh right, I forgot that. Still, they were rebuilt from scrap with no working pieces, so...

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Might as well just say "some geth were in a magic-proof bubble when the mass relay/reaper destroying magic wave went out", or "the conduit was a lying bitch the geth and edi are fine why would you treat the word of a reaper tool trying to guilt you into joining them using some kid's face as fact what are loving stupid."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It can be even simpler with "they rebuilt Edi and the Geth exactly as they were, just like Shepard when he died"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lovely Wizard posted:

Might as well just say "some geth were in a magic-proof bubble when the mass relay/reaper destroying magic wave went out", or "the conduit was a lying bitch the geth and edi are fine why would you treat the word of a reaper tool trying to guilt you into joining them using some kid's face as fact what are loving stupid."

I mean that they were able to do that and network and take over the ship after being rebuilt from exploded pieces that Shepard also punched was a fairly big deal in the last game.

Rip EDI though

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
a studio who promote sthemselves as putting story first hire halo 4 writer for their story-first game

a studio who has only ever made killzone fps games hires new vegas writer john gonzalez for their story-first game

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

RBA Starblade posted:

Rip EDI though

The sexbot survived, but it just lays there now and doesn't talk. So win win.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SgtSteel91 posted:

It can be even simpler with "they rebuilt Edi and the Geth exactly as they were, just like Shepard when he died"

They'd probably have to retcon the quantum computer bit about AI

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

a studio who promote sthemselves as putting story first hire halo 4 writer for their story-first game

a studio who has only ever made killzone fps games hires new vegas writer john gonzalez for their story-first game

The team who made MEA previously worked on the multiplayer in ME3 and hired the writer of another sci-fi franchise known to have fun multiplayer, which kind of makes sense in a depressing way.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess Bioware just didn't want to bother but it wouldn't have been hard to justify them being there; they found the cluster first after all. We know that they mostly are peaceful from ME2 (but no one besides Shepard does), so they could have had tension about no one being sure what the Geth are going to do, have a sidequest deciding how to respond to things that may seem hostile and reinforce how the Initiative is having trouble letting go old grudges. They haven't expanded to the whole area already because they also ran into the giant space cloud.

Sorry you misunderstand. Things likethe Geth. Explore some more interesting Sci Fi concepts instead of just the stuff the baddies do. There aren't enough "cool" interesting hooks in the Andromeda setting. So much gets set up in ME1 and it just doesn't feel that way here.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They'd probably have to retcon the quantum computer bit about AI

It can be about as complex as a human brain and, again, Shepard was brought back exactly as they were even when they were brain-dead.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What did the do about Shep's memories in ME2? aka how did Shep's dry corpse retain that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taear posted:

Sorry you misunderstand. Things likethe Geth. Explore some more interesting Sci Fi concepts instead of just the stuff the baddies do. There aren't enough "cool" interesting hooks in the Andromeda setting. So much gets set up in ME1 and it just doesn't feel that way here.

Oh yeah, sure. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the worlds all being hosed but also easily fixable while also getting there late. It kills a lot of mystery there could be.

quote:

What did the do about Shep's memories in ME2? aka how did Shep's dry corpse retain that

Until ME3 said Shepard was basically a zombie vi like the security chief in Marathon and the Shadow Broker said people were just trading your corpse around for a while, I assumed their armor, shields, and biotics held things together juuuust enough for someone to get there.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 6, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

mass effect fields

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SgtSteel91 posted:

It can be about as complex as a human brain and, again, Shepard was brought back exactly as they were even when they were brain-dead.

Put the code in a different quantum computer, and you get a different AI. S'n the codex.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

SgtSteel91 posted:

She's not the only one

Oh drat, that looks....good.

I was thinking. When the Nomad gets dropped for your run into wherever it is you go on Merdian I thought it was a really nice callback to ME1 with dropping the Mako whenever you wanted to jander about but then I thought of that entire sequence "Isn't this literally the end of the original Halo?"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
You could easily do a straight sequel if the endings were just Control/Destroy. You could use stand-in characters for synthetics the way ME handled deaths previously. Or retcon a pocket of inactive geth cut off from the signal. Or (this would be clever but probably too much effort for Bioware) have synthetic characters whose dialogue is either naturalistic or stiff/artificial based on whether AI development was set back.

Synthesis is the real fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Put the code in a different quantum computer, and you get a different AI. S'n the codex.

They rebuilt Edi's quantum computer exactly as it was before getting with the Red Wave, with enough time and resources

Boom, hire me Bioware