Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

haitfais posted:

That's a good point. They haven't had Andrea Romano doing the voice direction for the last few movies, have they?

She did the two N52 Justice League movies, plus Son of Batman, Assault on Arkham, and Batman vs Robin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

Mask of the Phantasm is definitely the best animated Batman movie and makes a serious case for best Batman movie regardless of being animated. Under The Red Hood is a good movie though, and it is literally the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

Death in the Family was the best use of Jason Todd.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She did the two N52 Justice League movies, plus Son of Batman, Assault on Arkham, and Batman vs Robin.

poo poo. I guess there's only so much you can do with some scripts.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We can all agree that Mystery of the Batwoman was garbage, right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

All I really remember is it's the last time Bob Costanza did Bullock's voice.

Also I really liked Cherie's "Betcha Neva". This is really the only reason I liked the movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heck even Mask of the Phantasm had a better song (I Never Even Told You).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So looking it up, the animated version of Phantasm never appeared outside of the DCAU (and associated comics)? I see that there are other characters called Phantasm, but not specifically this one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

So looking it up, the animated version of Phantasm never appeared outside of the DCAU (and associated comics)? I see that there are other characters called Phantasm, but not specifically this one.

She popped back in during JLU's "Epilogue" in flashback.

e: misread your question--you are correct

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

It had some good parts(like the Bane fight), and the animation was all right, but it's definitely the weakest of the 4 animated series films. The really awkward scene where they play some real life pop song as Bruce and one of the women dance is so out of place.

I do like how they resolved the mystery at the end, but it would've been a lot more effective if the suspects didn't all pop out of seemingly nowhere and instead felt like people Bruce already knew.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't think dancing has ever been good on a non-comedy/non-musical cartoon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think dancing has ever been good on a non-comedy/non-musical cartoon.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hahaha, I was specifically thinking of Batman Beyond as well.

That, and the HORRIBLE X-Men Evolution scene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EDIT: too late

Not even when it's rotoscoped from the Buffy opening credits

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had completely forgotten about X-Men Evolution until now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had completely forgotten about X-Men Evolution until now.

Lucky.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Men Evolution dancing may have been bad but Pearl Jam Evolution dancing was pretty good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lobok posted:

X-Men Evolution dancing may have been bad but Pearl Jam Evolution dancing was pretty good.

To be fair, that is a legit music video. Disney Musical cartoons have good dancing too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

All I really remember is it's the last time Bob Costanza did Bullock's voice.

Also I really liked Cherie's "Betcha Neva". This is really the only reason I liked the movie.

Nope, he played Bullock in Arkham Origins. He's only in a few cutscenes and is a minor character at best, probably really a cameo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

I approve of both of these

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Goof Troop Evolution

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Batman vs. Dracula is an underrated film.

Just like The Batman in general.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Batman vs. Dracula is an underrated film.

Just like The Batman in general.

I never got a chance to see The Batman vs Dracula, but I absolutely agree on The Batman. It's not B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be either.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Batman will always stick out to me as that series that gave The Penguin kung fu. It also had my favorite design for an animated Catwoman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

The Batman will always stick out to me as that series that gave The Penguin kung fu. It also had my favorite design for an animated Catwoman.

Controversial opinion:
I don't have that big a problem with Batman's villains being able to fight back against him. They probably should have weapons or tools that make sense but if you're going to make them something besides puzzles they should probably be at least a little threatening.

Also Kung-Fu Penguin is much better than the goddamn CGI show's Professor Pyg.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't disagree, I love the silliness of The Penguin with kung fu.

Beware the Batman just looks boring. That CGI does not look appealing. I have heard good things about Green Lantern TAS though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Batman used Penguin better than BTAS.

And by that I mean they had him around at all outside of a few episodes (with one admittedly being stand out) and then either relegating him to bit parts or forgetting him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Batman used Penguin better than BTAS.

And by that I mean they had him around at all outside of a few episodes (with one admittedly being stand out) and then either relegating him to bit parts or forgetting him.

To be genuinely honest I don't think the Penguin is a character you can use very much. He's kind of... one-note and I think making him the Iceberg Lounge guy works for him. He's not crazy enough to be a Two Face style villain and he isn't rear end in a top hat enough to be a Joker. He kind of suffers for being too sane for a Batman villain.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think a lot of villains that aren't Joker, Harley, and Scarecrow didn't have a lot of episodes actually. Not including New Batman Adventures, Ivy has, like, 3 in total besides Trial, Almost Got Em', and cameos like Harley's Holiday.

I also recall they were forced to use the Tim Burton Penguin which probably explains why they didn't use him a whole lot in the original series as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Penguin got to headline the single worst episode of BTAS, "I've got Batman in my basement".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roth posted:

I also recall they were forced to use the Tim Burton Penguin which probably explains why they didn't use him a whole lot in the original series as well.

And yet they were allowed to make a white Harvey Dent. Unless Warner's wasn't saving Billy Dee for a sequel by that point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Batman's pretty good, and i'm sure the Dracula movie is great, but I cannot unmarry it to the stupid scene where Bruce writes Alucard on a plate and holds it to a mirror so it reads DRACULA, making Alfred gasp.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

And yet they were allowed to make a white Harvey Dent. Unless Warner's wasn't saving Billy Dee for a sequel by that point.

BTAS Harvey never seemed very white to me.

In brighter lighting his skin looks paler, but I'm pretty certain he's not supposed to be a white guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

BTAS Harvey never seemed very white to me.

In brighter lighting his skin looks paler, but I'm pretty certain he's not supposed to be a white guy.

This is the same as the Lex Luthor thing in S:TAS where it's arguable both ways not in the least because they genuinely do change his skin tone from episode to episode.

Seen here for example being exactly the same as Bruce.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Looks Italian to me, kinda like Joe DiMaggio. Just a tanned white dude. I mean, I guess it's good that he's ambiguous. They get to be inclusive but also not. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

An actual effort post about the usage of Batman villains in TAS based on Wikipedia

Joker: 13
Harley Quinn: 8
Scarecrow: 4
The Penguin: 7
Poison Ivy: 7
Man-Bat: 2
The Riddler: 4
Two-Face: 8
Mr. Freeze: 2
Catwoman: 5
Clayface: 3
Mad Hatter: 5
Clock King: 2
Killer Croc: 4
Hugo Strange: 1
Bane: 1
Ra's Al Ghul: 3
The Ventriloquist: 3
Rupert Thorne : 8
Roland Dagget: 5
Baby Doll: 1
Lock Up: 1
Red Claw: 3
Misc.: 35

So really, Penguin was actually pretty frequently used. This is including ensemble villain episodes though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Luthor was definitely supposed to look greek or something, Harvey's probably more like italian or sicilian or something like that. It's possible he's supposed to be mixed or even middle eastern, but he seems too pale for that. Either way he doesn't look like a generically handsome white man with a 1950s business haircut like in the comics.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

Also, lol, Rupert Thorn is one of the most used.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The misc. section was for episodes that were one off characters and stuff like the Sewer King (that episode and the one following it were both rear end)

Dagget and Thorne have a bunch of appearances because they work as generic corrupt businessman and mobster characters. They mostly seem to just gently caress up and create more iconic villains like Clayface and Two-Face, or get in one if the rogues' way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

Also, lol, Rupert Thorn is one of the most used.

They were really good episodes. So good they turned a C-list joke of a Batman villain into one of his most dangerous and compelling rogues, essentially overnight. His Beyond episode was superb as well.