Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:hawaaaafap:

Edit

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is he inadvertently responsible for making filibusters possible?

James Madison opposed anything more onerous than a simple majority vote.

He also started the first opposition political party (which the Founding Fathers originally disagreed with) and said states should be able to invalidate unconstitutional federal laws.

So sometimes things aren't as simple as, "Old time man was smarter than you."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kim jong un you rat, you weren't using the lighter to light congratulatory cigars at all, you were using it to give us-sino relations the ol' spicy handshake

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FronzelNeekburm posted:

James Madison opposed anything more onerous than a simple majority vote.

He also started the first opposition political party (which the Founding Fathers originally disagreed with) and said states should be able to invalidate unconstitutional federal laws.

So sometimes things aren't as simple as, "Old time man was smarter than you."
Yeah, I figured they never were. I didn't have the most detailed American history education but it was at least enough to know that the country was born out of all kinds of disagreements and different viewpoints, same as any other human organization.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jay Rust posted:

Where was Tinsley that he discovered the prices for both ripped jeans and bottled water?

On the floor of a bar in his own personal hell. He thinks to himself, what if that last bottle had no booze in it? What if the bartender cut me off, what did I pay for? He thinks nothing of his hard earned tolerance as he slides off the bar stool, his pants catching on something with a audible rip, he looks down at them, and the people walking outside, illuminated by the midday sun and mutters "liberals..."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cool, but can you make the font more indecipherable?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Cool, but can you make the font more indecipherable?

The font is a mistake. Imho, is too much like how a modern human would publish it.

Fonts are a creation of their era and a modern font contain in itself opinions about the world from the modern world ( mass production, abstraction, easy to use by everyone ).

For something like this... I think something like "Clarisa" or "Some Weatz". Easy to read but elegant, with unnecessary long serifs.

I am not a font expert, so I dunno. This modern font looks out of place.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MechaCrash posted:

This is actually kind of a running issue with the newspaper comic industry. New artists can't get a break, because the old ones just don't loving leave. Hm, there's an allegory here, but we'll leave that aside for now. Some of these things are approaching a century old, and are artifacts of their era. Like Barney Google & Snuffy Smith became what it is because it was originally about...well, who gives a poo poo, the point is he visited a town in Appalachia because hillbilly humor was super popular and it jumped on the bandwagon and it just sort of took over, even though nobody's given a poo poo about hillbilly jokes for decades. Barney Google himself hasn't been a regular character in the strip that bears his name for over sixty loving years.

The newspaper comics industry is a hosed up place where inertia is king, is what I'm getting at, and Bill Waterson was wise to go out on a high note like he did.

Or that timeless strip Blondie about the shame the son of a rich industrialist cast upon his family for marrying a lowly flapper.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tei posted:

The font is a mistake. Imho, is too much like how a modern human would publish it.

Fonts are a creation of their era and a modern font contain in itself opinions about the world from the modern world ( mass production, abstraction, easy to use by everyone ).

For something like this... I think something like "Clarisa" or "Some Weatz". Easy to read but elegant, with unnecessary long serifs.

I am not a font expert, so I dunno. This modern font looks out of place.

I meant because it's Ramirez.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

duz posted:

Or that timeless strip Blondie about the shame the son of a rich industrialist cast upon his family for marrying a lowly flapper.

Beetle Bailey has been in boot camp training to join the Korean War since before my dad was born

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

A civics lesson from a slaver.

What's a Republican? How does this box heat your food in minutes? Why are there blacks freely walking the streets? - James Madison

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

Beetle Bailey has been in boot camp training to join the Korean War since before my dad was born

For one strip a few years ago he finally went back to college and I thought that the strip was going to get a radical redesign to return to its roots.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mike ramirez here. i'm getting a message from the Infallible Fathers. they're saying, "it's a good job you're doing. we're so proud of you. we love you michael."

hah... i love you too dads...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Powerful stuff.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xander77 posted:

*ignores private prisons expanding for several decades, under both D and R administrations*

Next step - convince people that pot criminalization was a dastardly Republican-exclusive plot all along.

that's mostly at the state level though, the Feds didn't expand all that much. Clinton may have passed that crime bill, but you can't say that the Dems have stayed on that path the past decade/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

On one hand gently caress Tinsley, on the other hand this is a thing that exists: http://www.harrods.com/product/polar-iceberg-water//000000000005521459

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Alhazred posted:

On one hand gently caress Tinsley, on the other hand this is a thing that exists: http://www.harrods.com/product/polar-iceberg-water//000000000005521459

quote:

it would make a unique gift for foodies

...what?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Ularg posted:

...what?

You know, the kind of tedious assholes who have 30 different kinds of salt in their kitchen

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ularg posted:

...what?

The extreme opposite of people who think soylent is a good idea.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Powerful stuff.

Whoa, I thought the US and the Egyptian president were allies.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

duz posted:

The extreme opposite of people who think soylent is a good idea.

You tend to see both of them in the tech crowd. My partner is finishing up his comp sci degree, and wants to go on Soylent because he finds eating boring, and I used to know an IT guy who would literally talk about nothing but the different syrups and garnishes he was carefully preparing from scratch for his tiki bar at home.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad that these guys were able to find well-paying jobs after their wild frat days.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Alhazred posted:

quote:

best tasting in the world due to its low mineral content.

uhhhh....

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Technowolf posted:

I'm glad that these guys were able to find well-paying jobs after their wild frat days.

Fraternities are all about connections. The gun bone's connected to the pharma bone, the pharma bone's connected to the finance bone,

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

Beetle died at Inchon. The entire strip is a Jacob's Ladder-esque fantasy as his brain shuts down in slow motion.

If I were a better forums historian, I'd even post the edits some goons made of this concept.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Drawing Elizabeth Warren cheering Republican victory would be peak Rall, but knowing Rall's artwork, that might well be his Chuck Schumer caricature.

Hmmm...what have you been peeking at on the internet, Glenn?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

Drawing Elizabeth Warren cheering Republican victory would be peak Rall, but knowing Rall's artwork, that might well be his Chuck Schumer caricature.

Democrats doing a thing I support proves that they are nevertheless losers. - Frederick Theodore Rall III

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I honestly don't get it. What exactly does Fish think the House Minority Leader should be doing that she's not? Her job is literally to say things to the media and keep her party in line, and she's sure as poo poo doing both of those.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that Obama is gone, the bad guys are running amok. A good et cetera.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The answer is that Mr. Fish loving sucks. He's a less annoying Rall.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hey, Mr. Fish at least had that one good "motherfucker" cartoon, which is one more good one than Rall.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I legit actually laughed out loud

Why isn't Obama doing anything????

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
I don't believe I've seen this animal here:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OldTennisCourt posted:

Mr. Fish can actually draw and occasionally makes genuinely good cartoons. That puts him miles ahead of Rall.

Even when you agree with Rall, he's insufferable.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

A civics lesson from a slaver.

"Good job screwing over the black guy, all of us dead slave owners thought that was hilarious."- James Madison.

Holy God, this drawing is mind meltingly bad. First time I've laughed out loud at a Branco since the Glenn Beck I heart Israel and Apple Pie cartoon.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

Democrats doing a thing I support proves that they are nevertheless losers. - Frederick Theodore Rall III

I think the point he's trying to make is that Democrats keep trying to find a middle ground and compromise with people who hate them and have made obstructionism their #1 goal, kind of like the left half of Kreider's The Choice comic, except it's Rall so it comes out all lovely and horrible.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh my :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

• Locked thread