Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Abrupt Decay and Cavern of Souls.

doh i knew i forgot something, and decay is even in the same cycle of cards >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

The card that should belong in G/B snakes actually just hoses it, because Constrictor says only creatures you control.
There are those creatures that benefit from having the -1/-1 counters on them right? At least the mana dork anyway. That looks like part of the intent.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just make it infect instead of -1 counters....it's got poison in the name for god sakes

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This seems really exploitable somehow but I'm not sure exactly how

"Black Sun for one..."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Why doesn't this dude have deathtouch.

Someone will probably find a way to do some sick nasty stuff with this and the -1/-1 efficiency beaters, looking forward to that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

80s James Hetfield posted:

Just make it infect instead of -1 counters....it's got poison in the name for god sakes

Infection and poison are not the same thing.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Why doesn't this dude have deathtouch.

Someone will probably find a way to do some sick nasty stuff with this and the -1/-1 efficiency beaters, looking forward to that.

How pushed do you want the bear to be?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm not highly confident about it but I think you guys are wrong that Failure to Comply is bad

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Infection and poison are not the same thing.

Infect makes poison counters....poison in the name....same poo poo basically

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

80s James Hetfield posted:

Infect makes poison counters....poison in the name....same poo poo basically

And yet they are still both as distinct as poisonous and infect are to each other.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm not highly confident about it but I think you guys are wrong that Failure to Comply is bad

I agree with you, it looks pretty decent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is pretty bad. If putting these counters on your opponents guys is relevant, it is never getting through.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So we can now play 8 cards that give you 1/1s whenever a -1/-1 counter is put on a creature? There has to be a deck that abuses that, right?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Amonkhet vorthos question.

How do you go about washing out? Can you quit the trials, or just stay in one indefinitely? There are children on the plane, and apparently a lady who's job is "Vizier of Poisons." So there are jobs that aren't being done by zombies. It seems like pretty public knowledge that winning Amonkhet-Gladiator ends with getting a stabbin'.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Play Snakes man. Play one of the two drops that enters with -1/-1 counters. Get Snakes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

And yet they are still both as distinct as poisonous and infect are to each other.

Yeah they're different but this crap should be smoothed out to make it more intuitive.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This is pretty bad. If putting these counters on your opponents guys is relevant, it is never getting through.

It's a good thing it shares the colors of a deck packing early creature removal, and ways to make it big enough to get through.

It isn't game breaking, but it is good enough to warrant play testing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Play Snakes man. Play one of the two drops that enters with -1/-1 counters. Get Snakes.

There's also that aura that ETBs a counter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

It's a good thing it shares the colors of a deck packing early creature removal, and ways to make it big enough to get through.

It isn't game breaking, but it is good enough to warrant play testing.

That deck can also play 3 other 2's that are all much better though...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DangerDongs posted:

How pushed do you want the bear to be?

A 2/3 with deathtouch is about the appropriate level of pushed I would expect from a legendary, given the pattern over the last few blocks. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A 2/3 with deathtouch is about the appropriate level of pushed I would expect from a legendary, given the pattern over the last few blocks. :colbert:

2/3 with DT and LL is an uncommon...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

That deck can also play 3 other 2's that are all much better though...

I think the ability to make 1/1s with death touch is a pretty good ability to try running one legendary 2 drop in a deck. The -1/-1 is just icing.

I'm going to try running 1 by doing a 1 and 1 split between this and Rishkar.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

No, gently caress you X/X+1s are the reason Standard has been such poo poo lately.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

I think the ability to make 1/1s with death touch is a pretty good ability to try running one legendary 2 drop in a deck. The -1/-1 is just icing.

I'm going to try running 1 by doing a 1 and 1 split between this and Rishkar.

Getting a snake off of this is almost impossible... When are you going to be able to get through with this when they have another creature to put a counter on so you can get a snake?

goth smoking cloves posted:

No, gently caress you X/X+1s are the reason Standard has been such poo poo lately.

That was the previous standard, which was much better than this standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Getting a snake off of this is almost impossible...

Exactly what I thought when I first looked at it. No evasion, the payoff is a 1/1 snake with deathtouch when he does connect. Legendary to boot. Seems pretty awful without a lot of help.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This, Nest of Scarabs, and the green creatures that come with -1/-1 counters. and you just need the green guys big, you put the -1/-1 on one of the 20 1/1 token you made in the previous turns.

Sickening posted:

Exactly what I thought when I first looked at it. No evasion, the payoff is a 1/1 snake with deathtouch when he does connect. Legendary to boot. Seems pretty awful without a lot of help.

You don't need to connect, you need only effects that put -1/-1 counters.
As a 5/4 haste crocodile.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

You need a ton of other ways to get -1/-1 counters. The first ability might as well not be there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Not that I think he's great but I think yall are missing that he doesn't have to connect to get the snake. Triggers any time you put a -1/-1 counter on any creature for any reason and there's lots of creatures in this set that do it to themselves.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mcmagic posted:

Getting a snake off of this is almost impossible... When are you going to be able to get through with this when they have another creature to put a counter on so you can get a snake

Good thing that this is the only card in the set that makes -1 counters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Not that I think he's great but I think yall are missing that he doesn't have to connect to get the snake. Triggers any time you put a -1/-1 counter on any creature for any reason and there's lots of creatures in this set that do it to themselves.

That seems seems bad. You have to go wide with -1-1 counters to even get more than 1 snake.

uPen posted:

Good thing that this is the only card in the set that makes -1 counters.

Generally a card like this needs to be good on its own first before the synergy with other cards takes it over the top.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

I agree, but I wonder how much of it is my bias towards tempo cards.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Generally a card like this needs to be good on its own first before the synergy with other cards takes it over the top.

Winding constrictor sure is bad.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

edit: I'm dumb.

(this forums comment is evergreen)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

On its own its still a 2/3 for 2, which might arguably be better than this card on its own. You also don't have other other constrictors rotting in your hand because of the legend rule.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

On its own its still a 2/3 for 2, which might argueably be better than this card on its own.

I'm just a sucker for synergy cards.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

Maybe, I just want to draft it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

On its own its still a 2/3 for 2, which might argueably be better than this card on its own.

When I think standard powerhouse, I think Armored Warhorse.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

YggdrasilTM posted:

Winding Constrictor is actually likely bad now though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's bad on it's own. There is just alot of other good cards that synergize with it now in standard. Mostly Ballista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Infinite snakes with two grim poppets on the board, value for days

• Locked thread