Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo! This brings back some memories. It was right after a Hanami back in 2009. It was tasty as all get-out and I'm saddened that none of the local Japanese-style restaurants here do it. :(

Wow, really? I live in a pretty trash-tier city for Japanese food (Memphis, TN) and pretty much all of the Japanese restaurants (including the chains and the ones run by Chinese people) sell unagi-don.

The things that I've found are really difficult to find outside of only the most major cities in the US include omusoba (which is my favorite food), other omu-dishes like omurice, okonomiyaki, and takoyaki. I used to eat these a lot when I lived in NYC but they don't seem to exist anywhere else. I couldn't even find them when I looked in Boston, though it's possible I just missed the relevant restaurants there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just look at that first picture. Some Eels have really really sharp teeth and can take off fingers and stuff like nothing.

So do wolf fish but they are also extremely delicious fuckers:

Ytlaya posted:

Wow, really? I live in a pretty trash-tier city for Japanese food (Memphis, TN) and pretty much all of the Japanese restaurants (including the chains and the ones run by Chinese people) sell unagi-don.

The things that I've found are really difficult to find outside of only the most major cities in the US include omusoba (which is my favorite food), other omu-dishes like omurice, okonomiyaki, and takoyaki. I used to eat these a lot when I lived in NYC but they don't seem to exist anywhere else. I couldn't even find them when I looked in Boston, though it's possible I just missed the relevant restaurants there.

I lived in Boston for a year and from what I recall it wasn't as culturally interlaced as many other cities. You've got the Brazilian neighborhood, the Italian neighborhood, Chinatown, etc. It's an awesome city and I miss it loads but I think that in some respects it doesn't quiiiite have the same cosmopolitan nature of other cities that leads to as broad a market for ethnic cuisines.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress that, gently caress the ocean, i hate this and i hate everything, life is a nightmare

that guy holding that fish has the right idea

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ShadowCatboy posted:

I lived in Boston for a year and from what I recall it wasn't as culturally interlaced as many other cities. You've got the Brazilian neighborhood, the Italian neighborhood, Chinatown, etc. It's an awesome city and I miss it loads but I think that in some respects it doesn't quiiiite have the same cosmopolitan nature of other cities that leads to as broad a market for ethnic cuisines.

That's in the nature of US cities more than just Boston.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Patware posted:

gently caress that, gently caress the ocean, i hate this and i hate everything, life is a nightmare

Things in life fall into one of two categories: things you can eat, and things that can eat you.

Now, are you going to let make you its dinner, or are you going to turn it into lunch?!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Things in life fall into one of two categories: things you can eat, and things that can eat you.

Now, are you going to let make you its dinner, or are you going to turn it into lunch?!
RULES OF NATURE :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

You should see some of the cities in the South then. They make Boston look like NYC

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think food is the biggest thing I miss about NYC. It was awesome to be able to choose from such an absurd number of restaurants featuring cuisines from countless cultures. If someone wanted to, they could probably exhaust all the ethnic cuisine* in Memphis within a couple years, if that.

*I don't really like the term "ethnic cuisine" much since in practice it generally means "literally anything that isn't standard American steak/sandwiches/whatever"

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Patware posted:

I can actually totally see Kurokiba cooking one in a Shokugeki and the entire stadium freaking out over it. Kurokiba is Scandinavian right? He should know wolf fish quite well.

Sometimes when you catch them and gut them you'll find that their stomachs are full of fragments from the shells of clams and oysters they recently ate. I don't know if they poop out the mollusk shrapnel or vomit it back up, but it may be why the things look so ornery.

Mister Olympus posted:

Oh I definitely wouldn't say so. California is much more integrated in terms of minority groups, it seems. We also have a really robust foodie culture where young twenty and thirty-somethings are pretty much expected to eat out, especially with new hot restaurants every week. I've taken my Midwestern friends out for Cantonese, Szechuan, Japanese restaurants, even to a Michelin-starred ramen place. They also introduced me to a posh Cuban restaurant and this nice little Indian fusion place where they actually serve up curry in a burrito and have tikka masala fries and stuff. The current food trend going on right now is poke.

In fact, when I was living in Boston I hung out with a very local crew and every goddamn week we'd just go to Five Guys Burgers or Chilis. It took a little finagling to get them to try out this really nice little bistro where they served pork confit and truffle fries. And I even got to bring my boyfriend at the time to a charcuterie in the middle of the city.

Like, prime example would be seen in We Bare Bears, which is set in the Bay Area. You see the bears going out to explore new eateries all the time. It has a ridiculously Californian sense of humor and this sort of scenario is kind of spot-on if a bit exaggerated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ug8SUsGcS4&t=40s

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ShadowCatboy posted:

Oh I definitely wouldn't say so. California is much more integrated in terms of minority groups, it seems. We also have a really robust foodie culture where young twenty and thirty-somethings are pretty much expected to eat out, especially with new hot restaurants every week. I've taken my Midwestern friends out for Cantonese, Szechuan, Japanese restaurants, even to a Michelin-starred ramen place. They also introduced me to a posh Cuban restaurant and this nice little Indian fusion place where they actually serve up curry in a burrito and have tikka masala fries and stuff. The current food trend going on right now is poke.

In fact, when I was living in Boston I hung out with a very local crew and every goddamn week we'd just go to Five Guys Burgers or Chilis. It took a little finagling to get them to try out this really nice little bistro where they served pork confit and truffle fries. And I even got to bring my boyfriend at the time to a charcuterie in the middle of the city.

This is a totally normal thing in Chicago and New York too but eateries aside there still are sure as hell heavily segregated neighborhoods.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Olympus posted:

This is a totally normal thing in Chicago and New York too but eateries aside there still are sure as hell heavily segregated neighborhoods.

Well here in the Bay Area there are definitely neighborhoods that trend heavily toward being more Indian or Chinese, and certain strip malls tend to be built around certain ethnic groups. But we don't seem to think of them as being neighborhoods that specifically house certain groups. It definitely seems much more interlaced and laid-back here. When I was in Boston I've been in a couple situations where my ethnicity was treated as kind of exotic or innately foreign.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember living in a (sorta) makeshift recording studio in Randers, Denmark during a whole week back in 2007. My morning routine during 6 out of the 7 days I stayed there: a 40-minute jogging session, followed by some light weight-lifting (there was a park nearby with exercising equipment), followed by going to the bakery 2 blocks away from the studio. By sunrise, they had everything ready. My god were the pastries delicious.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Bay Area is so goddamn spoiled for choice. You've got the fusion and the avant-garde over in SF. You get the weird, edging into weirdly-obsessive in Oakland going up to Berkeley, San Jose has a very specifically codified ritual involving the exact percentage of pastel and dinginess in their Vietnamese and Chinese and Mexican restaurants and it confers them amazing powers of flavor. And then there are really solid options of everything wherever you go.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah if anyone ITT ever chooses to visit the California Bay Area I'd be happy to recommend places in the South Bay.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also, and while I am wholeheartedly enjoying the recent poke trend (I guess it's because the weather is weirdly warming up?) I have to take issue with some of the poke out there. Most of it isn't like, chopped-up leftovers like it's supposed to be, but I'm seeing people carve up like, mediocre-sushi-grade fish into like, pieces half the size you'd see for tataki, and then tossing that with sauce and stuff.

It feels weirdly decadent and unauthentic and this makes me simultaneously happy and sad.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ShadowCatboy posted:

And I do sympathize with the Midwestern thing: one of my friends grew up in Ohio and I helped get her to try shrimp for the first time. She's adventurous but still skeptical of seafood. Still, I don't see anything all that scary about fish, even eels. They don't have dozens of spindly legs or stingers or anything.

nah gently caress that i grew up in ohio eating lake fish, aint nothing in the ocean got enough mercury in it to scare me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All this restaurant talk has got me actually kind of wanting to see a vegan chef character who does all that crazy faux meat poo poo. Also we need more Shokugeki's where the contest ingredient is a vegetable or something.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe that'll be Nao's new character development after this arc. (Insert "hail seitan" joke here.)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

New chapter:http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/210/4163/1

It's pretty refreshing that Nene doesn't immediately discount Souma, and even gets scared when he starts doing his crazy antics.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 6, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The art seemed really on point in this chapter

The 4 pages of eel reactions not so much

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ok how is anyone surprised right now that a kid who grew up working in a diner is making yakisoba

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

The art seemed really on point in this chapter

The 4 pages of eel reactions not so much

You mean 4 pages of naked apron discussion?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Eej posted:

Ok how is anyone surprised right now that a kid who grew up working in a diner is making yakisoba

They're a bunch of rich fuckos who've never been to a regular rear end diner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing i don't get is, if azami succeeds in destroying every restaurant in japan and then replaces them with gourmet restaurants that meet his standards, where would they get enough ingredients? expensive ingredients are expensive because limited amounts are available or sometimes because the price has been artificially inflated.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also, and while I am wholeheartedly enjoying the recent poke trend (I guess it's because the weather is weirdly warming up?) I have to take issue with some of the poke out there. Most of it isn't like, chopped-up leftovers like it's supposed to be, but I'm seeing people carve up like, mediocre-sushi-grade fish into like, pieces half the size you'd see for tataki, and then tossing that with sauce and stuff.

It feels weirdly decadent and unauthentic and this makes me simultaneously happy and sad.

thats basically what i remember getting in the supermarket as a kid in hawaii. a little plastic tub of ahi poke

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one thing i don't get is, if azami succeeds in destroying every restaurant in japan and then replaces them with gourmet restaurants that meet his standards, where would they get enough ingredients? expensive ingredients are expensive because limited amounts are available or sometimes because the price has been artificially inflated.

The plebeians can just make their own low class meals :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It'll be this, but in reverse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cF6D8zDa9U&t=26s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my: Has Alice been (perhaps temporarily) outdone in the cute department?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Rindou's already been around for a while though???

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Eej posted:

It's not "oh wow what is that mysterious preparation method", it's "jesus christ why the gently caress is he doing yakisoba in a high level competition".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

It's not "oh wow what is that mysterious preparation method", it's "jesus christ why the gently caress is he doing yakisoba in a high level competition".

At least his opponent seems to have paid attention to his previous matches where "Jesus Christ why the gently caress is he doing [thing he's doing this match] in a high level competition" was a common refrain.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh huh I think I missed something. He made it clear earlier on that he was gonna do yakisoba, but I thought the big twist here was that he deep fried them like Chinese Bird's Nest Noodles:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Isn't yakisoba usually made with ramen(wheat) noodle, and not buckwheat noodle they're using in this match, though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FortMan posted:

Isn't yakisoba usually made with ramen(wheat) noodle, and not buckwheat noodle they're using in this match, though?

I think that's why Soba Girl thought "wait why the gently caress did he prepare that 2:8 dough if he's just going to dump it in a frying pan"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guys. I had a weirdo dream: It's neither Erina nor Souma who defeat Tsukasa.

I'm a slowpoke for thinking about it just now, but we all need to search deep within our hearts, for we know it to be true: It has to be Megumi. And not just any version of Megumi. SUKEBAN BANCHO MEGUMI. And at that moment, Tsukasa realizes that he's been a fool. Azami then gets his head forcefully dislodged out of his rear end. In my dream, Ryoutaro Okiayu voiced Azami doing his most exaggerated “M-ma... MASAKAAAAAAAAA!”

Have I gone crazy? Is this just wishful thinking? Goddamn was that a funky dream.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tsukasa will be freed from the path of dark food by a Sekiha Love Love peanut butter squid

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress it. That's 10 times better. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/211/4181/1

New chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this manga sucked for a while since it stopped having food, but it has food again now so its good