Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

i mean i guess you could compare this to a severe food allergy if we assume that she's healthy despite being allergic to 99% of food, sure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

Except he literally stated that she doesn't avoid specific foods, when they're made for her (such as eating out with friends). She just doesn't cook them for herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SpaceClown posted:

is eating olives and pickled peppers every few minutes a nutritious diet?

Yea it's the Mediterranean diet super healthy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like a very common bit of advice given to people living on their own is "cook meals in bulk and freeze em and you'll have food for the week and it is super cheap" and just based on what the girl is doing in that post it doesn't sound like she has an eating disorder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

like yeah this is real but this is like the girl I dated who would only eat cheese pizza from pizza hut, fruit roll ups, twix, cheese quesadillas (white cheese not yellow cheese), and cheetos

this girl is just being super organized and recognizes her lack of self control so she nips it in the bud by not loading the pantry. there's nothing inherently wrong with that. it's not negatively impacting her life (if anything it saves her money and aids her health) and the only issue really is the boyfriend wants to be able to store more food if/when he moves in.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Improbable Lobster posted:

How much soylent do you drink?

You're being an idiot. Do you really think it's impossible to make a nutritionally complete meal without dumb gimmick food?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

Except he literally stated that she doesn't avoid specific foods, when they're made for her (such as eating out with friends). She just doesn't cook them for herself.

you've spent two pages saying she avoids "snacks" you can't go back on that now, friendo. she avoids specific foods in the form of any food in her house that doesn't pass her strict food ritual

refusing to keep "snacks" as in food that isn't in your crock pot dump meal is an unhealthy coping mechanism for an eating disorder

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Yea it's the Mediterranean diet super healthy

I hope I get a luxurious Mediterranean sheen to my mane.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

boner confessor posted:

you've spent two pages saying she avoids "snacks" you can't go back on that now, friendo. she avoids specific foods in the form of any food in her house that doesn't pass her strict food ritual

refusing to keep "snacks" as in food that isn't in your crock pot dump meal is an unhealthy coping mechanism for an eating disorder

A wild mirthless has appeared. You're dumb.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

really it's not like it's any less weird if she optimizes her macro/micro nutrition in her sunday night giant pot meals to prevent scurvey because it's still just her way of avoiding not putting food in her pantry which is not a healthy coping mechanism for her admitted eating disorder

like there's such a thing as being really strict about your fitness diet but preventing people from storing half a burrito in your fridge because you'll be compelled to eat it is simply not a healthy mindset

Gotta say, you're really stretching the limits of "eating disorder" when the "problem" it causes isn't medical, it's just that her boyfriend has to take his half-eaten burrito home.

boner confessor posted:

A snack is not a "type" of food, it's a time that you eat your food. Eating at three times a day isn't a "food ritual".

quote:

Someone behaving in a way that you wouldn't doesn't mean that their action is unhealthy.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 6, 2017

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Honestly it sounds exactly like she has a binging disorder of some kind, especially the part where she goes ham while out and about and cannot prevent herself from eating if there's excess food in the house. Either this is her way of trying to control it herself or this is something she's come to as part of recovery and she hasn't told her bf about it for whatever reason. My money's on the first though, if only because an ED program would likely be trying to work her towards a healthier relationship with food.

I mean, as long as she's not purging after bingeing it's probably not the worst way to handle it in the short term, but if he moves in with her they're going to need to address it at some point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

there's nothing inherently wrong with that. it's not negatively impacting her life (if anything it saves her money and aids her health) and the only issue really is the boyfriend wants to be able to store more food if/when he moves in.

if your eating disorder coping mechanism prevents other people in your household from using a room for its intended purpose then that's a negative impact imo

Xombie posted:

Gotta say, you're really stretching the limits of "eating disorder" when the "problem" it causes isn't medical, it's just that her boyfriend has to take his half-eaten burrito home.

i've continually said "unhealthy coping mechanism for an eating disorder" repeatedly so i'm just going to assume you forgot how to read and claim victory. thank you for agreeing with me that she has unhealthy behavior that negatively impacts her life. i'm glad we were able to work this out and that i could show you the error of your ways

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 6, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boner confessor posted:

"Strict food ritual" here having the meaning "she cooks in advance?" Everyone avoids specific foods it's called "things you don't like to eat" or "things you know are bad for you so you avoid them."

boner confessor posted:

She over eats so she decides to buy less food so it isn't on hand when she has the munchies from smoking weed. Seems reasonable to me?

Is it really that alien for you guys to not have chips and whatever on hand all the time?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You're being an idiot. Do you really think it's impossible to make a nutritionally complete meal without dumb gimmick food?
Yeah I dunno what the controversy is here or why folks are so angry about it. Sounds like she's healthy and disciplined enough to stick to a regimen, good for her. :shrug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

He just needs to submit to her will totally on it and it'll be fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

No, it's not. Go into YLLS and tell them all they have an eating disorder.

She doesn't keep other foods around because she can't trust herself with food. That's 100% disordered eating.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

She doesn't have a binging disorder either. She gets the munchies.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I dunno what the controversy is here or why folks are so angry about it. Sounds like she's healthy and disciplined enough to stick to a regimen, good for her. :shrug:

Goons are super jealous

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im pretty sure goons are literally just angry and jealous because she is practicing the self control they all advocate constantly yet fail to actually enact thus they remain chubby while this girl is probably fit as hell and has a banging body she's worked hard to get

also bring back the fit ladies thread we can make it fit people and have dudes in there too if that's what is necessary no skin off my dil

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Maybe if I post a mad fatty you fatsos will stop with the dumpy derail

My older sister[24f] hates me[21m] for making my younger sister[18f] pretty and healthy Non-Romantic

quote:

300 points 243 comments submitted 1 year ago by Melotri to r/relationships

Hey everyone I have a situation in my family and I am hoping you guys can give me insight into my sister’s mentality and how to resolve it. A little background, both of my parents are Indian immigrants however for the most part me and my siblings are Westernized.

For the longest time me and my family had a piss poor diet, my mom makes fatty Indian foods and our parents constantly telling us that sports aren’t important led us to not be really healthy. My elder sister is pretty fat, me on the other hand, I was skinny fat, and my younger sister was in the chubby range.

When I went to college I met a cool group of guys and they really got me into eating healthy, and weight training, and in general having a good idea of how to regulate my body weight and compostion. When I came back home I offered my newfound knowledge to my family and some changes were made. We started drinking skim milk instead of whole, diet soda instead of soda, splenda where possible, etc.

And to add to that, my youngest sister started joining me at the gym. My elder sister was in Boston for her Masters, but when she came back she started freaking out about the changes. She started getting angry at me for brainwashing my sister in wanting to be nothing more than a sex object. She says that I am trying to make her nothing more than a stupid bimbo that has to rely on a man. Me and my younger sister completely disagreed with that, we told her that this is retarded, that she wants to be healthy and fit.

Again my older sister doesn’t believe it she says that looking good != healthy. And that the stuff we are doing is killing us slowly. She says the diet soda is poison, and skim milk is milk without nutrients. Right now I feel that my sister is just angry at the world because of her own failures. She has tried diets out before but lacked the impulse control to follow through. And I think she is mad and jealous that me and my sister have been able to succeed.

She constantly brags about her career to us (the one thing she did do well in), that she is better than most women because she actually can think etc. (I don’t agree with this just what she is saying).

I would like to help her as well because she is my family but this hostility needs to stop. Especially to my younger sister. Also right now, my younger sister’s car is broken and my mom can’t drive so she needs someone to take her to the gym. And my older sister refuses to do it because she says the gym is a waste of time working for a body for men.

Do you guys have any idea what I can do?

tl;dr- angry jealous older sister.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the problem isn't that she only eats bulk meals, the problem is that she has so little self control around food that she has to strictly control the amount of food stored in her house. hopefully she's still working on this because imagine trying to move in with the woman who won't let you keep food in the pantry because she might eat it all

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if that's the worst problem this super fun attractive fit lady who cooks regularly has then i literally would not care lol

hide your chips in your car if you really need to

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

if your eating disorder coping mechanism prevents other people in your household from using a room for its intended purpose then that's a negative impact imo

"Doctor, I think my girlfriend has an eating disorder! It's negatively impacting me!"
"My god, what is happening?"
"I have to eat MY OWN BURRITO"

quote:

i've continually said "unhealthy coping mechanism for an eating disorder" repeatedly so i'm just going to assume you forgot how to read and claim victory. thank you for agreeing with me that she has unhealthy behavior that negatively impacts her life. i'm glad we were able to work this out and that i could show you the error of your ways

Not getting to leave your leftovers in other peoples' fridges is not a "negative impact" on your life.

Why exactly should this woman have to go to therapy to find a completely different solution for something she's already found a solution for, just so this guy can leave his garbage at his girlfriend's house?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

she has to strictly control the amount of food stored in her house.

like basically everyone does this otherwise half your food would spoil lol you realize that right?

normal people don't just stuff their pantry full of as many goodies as they can like they are squirrels getting ready for the winter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

"Doctor, I think my girlfriend has an eating disorder! It's negatively impacting me!"
"My god, what is happening?"
"I have to eat MY OWN BURRITO"

Not getting to leave your leftovers in other peoples' fridges is not a "negative impact" on your life.

imagine that instead of food, she wouldn't let her boyfriend leave alcohol in her fridge because she doesn't trust herself around alcohol and she would drink it all. would you say she does, or does not, have an adequate coping mechanism for alcoholism? keep in mind people need food to live and while only 30% of people keep alcohol in their kitchen, 100% of people keep food in their kitchen

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
"Oh the behavior is most definitely unhealthy."

Meanwhile the behavior actively contributes to his girlfriend's physical health.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

imagine that instead of food, she wouldn't let her boyfriend leave alcohol in her fridge because she doesn't trust herself around alcohol and she would drink it all. would you say she does, or does not, have an adequate coping mechanism for alcoholism?

you've described basically everyone that has gone through AA

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

boner confessor posted:

imagine that instead of food, she wouldn't let her boyfriend leave alcohol in her fridge because she doesn't trust herself around alcohol and she would drink it all. would you say she does, or does not, have an adequate coping mechanism for alcoholism? keep in mind people need food to live and while only 30% of people keep alcohol in their kitchen, 100% of people keep food in their kitchen

now, rather than projecting your own fat rear end, imagine that if she has an extra beer then she has to run for an extra three miles the next day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

She is very specifically not disciplined.

If she was having snacks in the house would not be an issue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

boner confessor posted:

the problem isn't that she only eats bulk meals, the problem is that she has so little self control around food that she has to strictly control the amount of food stored in her house. hopefully she's still working on this because imagine trying to move in with the woman who won't let you keep food in the pantry because she might eat it all
I'll eat the curry that my fantasy wife cooks every day and like it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he should just get his own mini fridge and put a padlock on it, the combination to which she will never know

their future children can call it the forbidden fridge, and the family can create their own myths and lore about it

"it was here when we moved in" he'll say. "you must never look within it, lest you be forever tainted by its malign light"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
she's recognized a flaw she has and has taken steps to correct it, steps which the absolute worst thing you could say about them is "i have to take my leftovers home" and "i can't store a ton of chips in the pantry"

which are easily corrected by a "bf food only" shelve with a lock on it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

he should just get his own mini fridge and put a padlock on it, the combination to which she will never know

their future children can call it the forbidden fridge, and the family can create their own myths and lore about it

someone repost the story where the roommate's binge eating girlfriend broke the padlock off the pantry

Moridin920 posted:

she's recognized a flaw she has and has taken steps to correct it

banishing food from your house is not a healthy correction mechanism imo. it's extremely normal for people to have food in their house that they do not plan on eating that day

maybe this is just an extension of goons playing millenial poverty olympics. "heh, you have EXTRA food in your house? look at richie rich over here, buying two loaves of bread between student loan payments :smug:"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

imagine that instead of food, she wouldn't let her boyfriend leave alcohol in her fridge because she doesn't trust herself around alcohol and she would drink it all. would you say she does, or does not, have an adequate coping mechanism for alcoholism?

Not keeping alcohol in the house is literally the first thing they make alcoholics do when in recovery.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Moridin920 posted:

she's recognized a flaw she has and has taken steps to correct it, steps which the absolute worst thing you could say about them is "i have to take my leftovers home" and "i can't store a ton of chips in the pantry"

which are easily corrected by a "bf food only" shelve with a lock on it

given all the horror present just itt, this person has no problems whatsoever. No one is perfect everyone has weird oddities and quirks it's how things are.

Not really correct more like desperately pretend it doesnt exist.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Lotta people don't understand the difference between self control and a disordered relationship to food. But hey, her method is a thousand times better than starving herself or binge/purge. He'll prob just need to lock up his snacks if they live together.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

Not keeping alcohol in the house is literally the first thing they make alcoholics do when in recovery.

ok, we've made a step here. now keep going! if not keeping booze in the house is the sign of an alcohol disorder, not keeping food in the house would be a sign of coping with an e____g d_____r? (fill in the blanks)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
when offered an opportunity to teach abroad I specifically avoided India because I knew I'd get SO loving FAT. APPARENTLY goones think that means i have an India Disorder. I would be unable to teach because you can't talk if you're drinking curry directly from the buffet vat. j/o into a rolled up naan, freeze it, gently caress myself with it in a korma bath while the theme song from Singham plays. make it fuckin rain saffron on my basmati rear end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0PnqV5-iM tear off my sack, fry it onion bajj style. let vultures tear the meat off my bones for samosas. none of you saltless calorie counting bitches even fathoms less than a thousanth of a percent of the glory that is indian food.

sister is upset cause her sibling brought Honkey Bullshit into her sacred kitchen. skim milk? motherfucker should be hung from his ears. how DARE he.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

Lotta people don't understand the difference between self control and a disordered relationship to food. But hey, her method is a thousand times better than starving herself or binge/purge. He'll prob just need to lock up his snacks if they live together.

Lotta people itt don't get the munchies while staying very fit.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

ok, we've made a step here. now keep going! if not keeping booze in the house is the sign of an alcohol disorder, not keeping food in the house would be a sign of coping with an e____g d_____r? (fill in the blanks)

Xombie posted:

It's likely she has a binge eating disorder, which is why she doesn't keep extra food around.

Were you late to the party or something?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Also prepared food/snack != No food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I dunno, I don't think that "likes to eat snacks when they're around" is an eating disorder. Maybe I should talk to someone about all the oreos that have entered my home only to mysteriously vanish!!!