Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm in for a rough time, apparently. I don't suppose any if these seasons are completely skippable, are they? drat.

Skip legends S1, immediately go to S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

irlZaphod posted:

You obviously haven't read the thread title. :v:

I like the shows but they've all had ups and downs really. Flash hasn't been able to match it's 1st season at all, Arrow has been up and down etc. Supergirl is pretty good overall though.

Bozart posted:

Skip legends S1, immediately go to S2.

Thanks, I'm probably going to do Arrow S2, stop Flash on a high point, Supergirl s2 (s1 was fun and I'm curious about the CW transition), and Legends s2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, watch whatever you want but jumping around like that in three/four shows that all connect and share stories and characters is going to really be a mess.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, watch whatever you want but jumping around like that in three/four shows that all connect and share stories and characters is going to really be a mess.

I kind of agree. I mean, if you're already going to invest the time into Arrow (which is fine since S2 and 5 are great), and already invested the time into S1 of The Flash (S3 is better), and S1 of Supergirl, then you might as well just keep going for the crossovers (so that means maybe not skip Legends S1) which means maybe watching the respective season of that show, stopping before the crossover, binging the next show, stopping at the crossover, etc.

Yes I know part of this is sunk-cost fallacy, but it's also more unique than that since we finally have a comic tv universe where one show can affect the others.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

just know one thing: Everything is Barry Allen's fault

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I kind of agree. I mean, if you're already going to invest the time into Arrow (which is fine since S2 and 5 are great), and already invested the time into S1 of The Flash (S3 is better), and S1 of Supergirl, then you might as well just keep going for the crossovers (so that means maybe not skip Legends S1) which means maybe watching the respective season of that show, stopping before the crossover, binging the next show, stopping at the crossover, etc.

Yes I know part of this is sunk-cost fallacy, but it's also more unique than that since we finally have a comic tv universe where one show can affect the others.

"Sunk-cost" seems more to me like choosing to watch a show you no longer want to watch just because you've been watching it for awhile. If you don't enjoy Arrow just stop watching. But this is more jumping around and picking out chapters of a story to read, which just strikes me as odd.

I mean, its more than just the crossovers too. Characters jump back and forth. Legends is a show based entirely on characters pulled from Arrow and Flash and if you don't know them from those shows you're essentially tuning in late into the season (even more so if you skip S1).

I mean, hell if I remember the placement right he'll encounter Sara jumping from League of Assassins to Captain of the Waverider skipping her entire story, death, resurrection, restoration, and rehabilitation that all define her character. That's the most glaring missing piece of info about one of the most important parts of Legend S2 but there's a ton more I can think off the top of my head including a bunch of the characters never even being introduced in what he's watched. Hell, he won't even recognize 1 of the villains that makes the season good and will be missing a ton of info about the other ones.

Like I said, watch any way you like and if you're cool with that kind of viewing more power to you. But you should know how connected the shows are and how they feed off each other and if you're going to skip around like that you're going to have a ton of blank spaces of information and no clue what's happening. That's your prerogative but I'm just providing a head's up to counter all the "skip ______" talk.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

"Sunk-cost" seems more to me like choosing to watch a show you no longer want to watch just because you've been watching it for awhile. If you don't enjoy Arrow just stop watching. But this is more jumping around and picking out chapters of a story to read, which just strikes me as odd.

I mean, its more than just the crossovers too. Characters jump back and forth. Legends is a show based entirely on characters pulled from Arrow and Flash and if you don't know them from those shows you're essentially tuning in late into the season (even more so if you skip S1).

I mean, hell if I remember the placement right he'll encounter Sara jumping from League of Assassins to Captain of the Waverider skipping her entire story, death, resurrection, restoration, and rehabilitation that all define her character. That's the most glaring missing piece of info about one of the most important parts of Legend S2 but there's a ton more I can think off the top of my head including a bunch of the characters never even being introduced in what he's watched. Hell, he won't even recognize 1 of the villains that makes the season good and will be missing a ton of info about the other ones.

Like I said, watch any way you like and if you're cool with that kind of viewing more power to you. But you should know how connected the shows are and how they feed off each other and if you're going to skip around like that you're going to have a ton of blank spaces of information and no clue what's happening. That's your prerogative but I'm just providing a head's up to counter all the "skip ______" talk.

I brought up sunk cost preemptively because I predicted someone else would.

And yeah I agree with everything you're saying and that was what I said as much in my post.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You can skip Legends season 1 since the Hawks were pretty terrible.

Season 2 gives a complete recap at the beginning anyway.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Scyantific posted:

You can skip Legends season 1 since the Hawks were pretty terrible.

I only mentioned that part because of the crossover, but I suppose you can just watch the crossover part and be done with it.

Edit: Nevermind I'm wrong, for some reason I mis-remembered and thought LoT S1 had a crossover ep with the others, but the crossover was just the setup for LoT.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You can skip Legends S1 if you like and absolutely the Hawks and Savage suck and are largely inconsequential beyond it.

But like you also miss tons of character stuff with Sara, Mick, Snart, and the entire existence of Rip that factors significantly into S2.

Its cool if you want to pick up on a comic book in its 25th issue or whatever. You should just know that the previous issues did actually matter and aren't just disposable because the main plotline sucked. And it did.

The other thing is, I'm pretty sure you won't enjoy Legends S2 half as much as people who watched Legends S1 did because a big part of that was the meta response to S1. And Legends S2 really isn't that good a show without that factor.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I find it amusing that one of the things people complain about with actual comic books is when they had to have footnotes like "This happened in issue #335 dear reader! Maybe go back and read that one!", then we realized we really wanted comic book based TV shows (and movies) that had a shared universe like our beloved comic books, but now we're running into the same issue (pardon the pun) of missing context when a reference is made in one show but we haven't seen the episode or show it's referencing. And in TV or Movies you can't have those footnotes.

STAC Goat posted:

The other thing is, I'm pretty sure you won't enjoy Legends S2 half as much as people who watched Legends S1 did because a big part of that was the meta response to S1. And Legends S2 really isn't that good a show without that factor.

Mostly agree, but Season 2 I think would be great even on its own. Does the the watching of Season 1 enhance Season 2's greatness? Yes. And just naturally by comparison.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Sara Lance is a time lesbian and the boyfriend guy from Doctor Who is also there. Now you're caught up for Legends S2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I find it amusing that one of the things people complain about with actual comic books is when they had to have footnotes like "This happened in issue #335 dear reader! Maybe go back and read that one!", then we realized we really wanted comic book based TV shows (and movies) that had a shared universe like our beloved comic books, but now we're running into the same issue (pardon the pun) of missing context when a reference is made in one show but we haven't seen the episode or show it's referencing. And in TV or Movies you can't have those footnotes.

Yeah, I think part of why I'm being so argumentative here is because I was the kid who felt the need to buy tons of back issues to get the complete story.

I love the complicated web of the Arrow-verse or the MCU but its at the point where I can't really recommend something like Luke Cage to someone without saying "well, you should probably watch Jessica Jones to get some intro to this character and Daredevil S1 to know who this other one is, and don't forget that DD S2 and Iron Fist fit in to Defenders which you'll want to watch if you want to see more of Cage and he could probably be involved in their later seasons."

Because I've always been that kind of nerd.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 6, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think part of why I'm being so argumentative here is because I was the kid who felt the need to buy tons of back issues to get the complete story.

I love the complicated web of the Arrow-verse or the MCU but its at the point where I can't really recommend something like Luke Cage to someone without saying "well, you should probably watch Jessica Jones to get some intro to this character and Daredevil S1 to know who this other one is, and don't forget that DD S2 and Iron Fist fit in to Defenders which you'll want to watch if you want to see more of Cage and he could probably be involved in their later seasons."

Because I've always been that kind of nerd.

Never tell someone to watch Iron Fist

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
75 percent of Season 3 is great, the last 25 kinda falls flat.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
You guys are pushing all of my buttons now (I have a very hard time watching a movie sequel before seeing the original, liking to see plot threads referenced, and curiosity about the CWverse in general). I endured Angel season 4 so I can basically survive the most terrible season of any show I once liked. I guess I should just buckle in and let the CW crash over me.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ape Agitator posted:

You guys are pushing all of my buttons now (I have a very hard time watching a movie sequel before seeing the original, liking to see plot threads referenced, and curiosity about the CWverse in general). I endured Angel season 4 so I can basically survive the most terrible season of any show I once liked. I guess I should just buckle in and let the CW crash over me.

Do it! Release your obsessive compulsion! Embrace your contextual necessity!

Edit: vvv Hey! You stole my rankings! :v:

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 7, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Personal Power Rankings for Arrowverse/DCW shows this season.
1. Legends
2. Arrow
3. Supergirl
4. Flash

It's crazy how every season a different show has been the best and worst.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Season 2 Arrow has the best scene of drama out of any of the DC CW shows

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bad Moon posted:

Season 2 Arrow has the best scene of drama out of any of the DC CW shows

For a second I thought someone had actually bought that emoticon for this forum.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Longbaugh01 posted:

For a second I thought someone had actually bought that emoticon for this forum.

Someone should, and it should also be the thread icon for every CW DCU show. :v:

I should watch Arrow S2 again.

Ape Agitator posted:

Thanks, I'm probably going to do Arrow S2, stop Flash on a high point, Supergirl s2 (s1 was fun and I'm curious about the CW transition), and Legends s2.
As others have said, watch what you want but if you're enjoying them maybe consider continuing with them. It's still good tv, it's just a bit frustrating sometimes, and it cannot be stressed enough how boring the Hawkpeople and Vandal Savage are in Legends S1. However there's still really great stuff in there involving Snart and Rory, and some of the other characters. It's only 13 or 16 episodes or something anyway, it didn't have a full season order.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 7, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

I would absolutely tell people to skip Daredevil and Jessica Jones and just watch Luke Cage. And I'd tell people to skip Legends season one. And Angel season 4 since someone brought that up. If they reference something that happened in the bit you skipped, just go on Wikipedia and look it up. Or don't, it's probably not important.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
But...Daredevil Season 1 and first half of Season 2 are good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Longbaugh01 posted:

But...Daredevil Season 1 and first half of Season 2 are good.
Daredevil is good whenever Vincent D'Onofrio is on screen and at absolutely no other time.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tiggum posted:

Daredevil is good whenever Vincent D'Onofrio is on screen and at absolutely no other time.

B-b-b-but...Jon Bernthal...Scott Glenn...hallway fight...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I would absolutely tell people to skip Daredevil and Jessica Jones and just watch Luke Cage.

Hahaha but no, really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some people read the first chapter and the last chapter and are satisfied with knowing how it began and ended and don't care about the journey.

Some people skip the last chapter because they never want to know how it ends and ruin their preferred idea.

Some people read the last chapter first and then read the rest of the book so that they can see all the subtle foreshadowing and nuance coming and don't get "tricked."

I don't agree with any of those approaches but I don't judge. What you do to entertain yourself is your call.

But I read from the beginning to end and if its the third book in a series or a spinoff of another book than I need to go back to where it all starts and start from there until I finish it all. It borders on a compulsion sometimes and I recognize that. And comics and the now building comic media universes are hell for that kind of compulsion.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don't think that's what we're talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I muddied the issue but my point is its cool if you can just pick and choose portions of a bigger story to read/watch and not worry about the periphery stuff, and there are people who will even pick portions of a smaller story and that's fine. I'm just a nerd who needs to read/watch the entire story. But that's just my weirdness.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Uh Jessica Jones is a lot better than Luke Cage. So is Daredevil Season 1. Luke Cage starts well but goes downhill pretty quickly.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I have that same consumer's compulsion. Using MCU as the example, it works out anyway if you just kind of look at, say, DD, JJ, DD2, LC, and IF as five seasons of a knitted show than as separate entities...give or take. I tell people to watch Jessica Jones regardless of whether they've seen the rest, and then invite them to explore further. Of course, a complete look at this picture involves watching every MCU movie and the full runs of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Lot of sunk cost, but MCU is consistent, so it's great. Another example is, I make a point of playing every game in a franchise that's considered "canon", regardless of perceived contribution, so I can get all the easter eggs and continuity.

But, the whole exercise wavers a bit when I'm dealing in lower quality product, e.g. I wouldn't recommend someone play Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, even though it's "canon".

Just the same, Arrow is the only CWDC show I watch because I honestly get the impression that watching the other shows will do me more harm than good. Arrow's record is sketchy enough as it is, seasons 3 and 4 are pretty awful, and I don't typically hear people talk about the other three shows in a good light that often. So, I invest myself less.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jessica Jones, Daredevil season 1, and Iron Fist are consistent. That's not to say they're the same quality but if you start and like one of those it's not going to fall off a cliff, like the other 2 do.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I mean, like, MCU products are generally in the same ball field. That's not to say we don't occasionally have a DDS2 or Thor: Dark World.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cran posted:

Just the same, Arrow is the only CWDC show I watch because I honestly get the impression that watching the other shows will do me more harm than good. Arrow's record is sketchy enough as it is, seasons 3 and 4 are pretty awful, and I don't typically hear people talk about the other three shows in a good light that often. So, I invest myself less.

Three words: Legends Season Two

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

Three words: Legends Season Two

They should have subtitled that season Leaning Into The Stupid.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

They should have subtitled that season Sarah Lance, Time Lesbian and the Time Idiots

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Jessica Jones was easily one of the best comic book shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just started rewatching it last night and I'm enjoying it as much as I was the first time. But I'm only four episodes in so I haven't gotten to the "drag" part (I didn't think it dragged, but that was the common criticism).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Uh

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/851535722309763072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I muddied the issue but my point is its cool if you can just pick and choose portions of a bigger story to read/watch and not worry about the periphery stuff, and there are people who will even pick portions of a smaller story and that's fine. I'm just a nerd who needs to read/watch the entire story. But that's just my weirdness.

I don't really think it's all that weird. If a book has " part 3 of 5 " on the cover and it looks interesting most people will find book 1 and go from there. People who dive into an existing series (sometimes even half way through a season) watch that then go back to the start are the strange ones, especially when old stuff is so easy to get hold of these days.

• Locked thread