Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

uPen posted:

Good thing that this is the only card in the set that makes -1 counters.

Yeah this card obviously doesn't take over the game by itself but depending on this set and the next could be good within the next year. On the play this guy -> removal that uses counters might be enough to take over a game. Would likely be better with the rotation though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Death Bot posted:

Yeah this card obviously doesn't take over the game by itself but depending on this set and the next could be good within the next year. On the play this guy -> removal that uses counters might be enough to take over a game. Would likely be better with the rotation though :v:

None of the 2 drops that you would play this over would be rotating even if we had the short rotations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think we all can admit the card has a high ceiling depending on the rest of the spoiler.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
don't think this was posted?

Scarab Feast B
Instant - Common
Exile up to three target cards from a single graveyard
Cycling B

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 6, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

A big flaming stink posted:

don't think this was posted?

Scarab Feast B
Instant - Common
Exile up to three target cards from a single graveyard
Cycling B

Yep, it was concluded that this is the (possibly overpowered) graveyard hate we wanted.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
who is calling that overpowered lol

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

I think we all can admit the card has a high ceiling depending on the rest of the spoiler.
Yea. It isn't one of those power cards that obviously demands play but it could quietly become a very potent synergy card if there are enough powerful -1/-1 counter effects.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Soul-Scar mage is really loving good

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

That red enchantment is some serious jank, but that one drop's right up my casual burn playing alley. Prowess a good mechanic.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
what the what what

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I think Hazoret's Favor was a bulk rare back in Masques Block.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Been thinking: they should change the "sphinx" type to "bird cat"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
soul-scar mage is cool as heck, the enchantment is less cool

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Soul-Scar Mage is a good card. I thought it had haste for the briefest of moments and almost shat myself a little.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay how do you use Hazoret's Favor? Just haste some sad 1-drop you're playing on turn 4 to get some value out of it?

Edit: Or a token?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Soul-Scar Mage is a good card. I thought it had haste for the briefest of moments and almost shat myself a little.

It would have been strictly better Monastery Swiftspear!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Siivola posted:

Okay how do you use Hazoret's Favor? Just haste some sad 1-drop you're playing on turn 4 to get some value out of it?

Does it activate twice if you have multiple combat phases?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

it has synergy with graveyard abuse as well, letting you sacrifice stuff for value or what have you. it's mostly an aggro reach card, but most, or maybe even all, aggro decks would rather have a creature

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh jeez it's not an aura never mind I'm dumb (and also maybe drunk).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe each god has a "favor" enchantment?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/Soul-Scar%20Mage.png

This is very close to being modern playable. My best friend is a modern burn player and he already thinks its better than nacatl strictly on being easier to play and the utility.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

This is very close to being modern playable. My best friend is a modern burn player and he already thinks its better than nacatl strictly on being easier to play and the utility.

Nacatl is REAL bad in burn right now, I'm thinking about moving lavamancers to the board for some numbers of these as lavamancer is also kinda bad right now.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Lives through Pyroclasm too!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh, and it combos with walking ballista. Anything walking ballista isn't good at? Makes all burn better against vehicles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I think your friend is wrong. (Not that Nacatl is great in burn either) But you do not want to be pointing spells at creatures when you're playing burn. I can't think of anything burn is less interested in than -1/-1 counters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I think your friend is wrong. (Not that Nacatl is great in burn either) But you do not want to be pointing spells at creatures when you're playing burn. I can't think of anything burn is less interested in than -1/-1 counters.

You don't want to, but in a lot of matchups you HAVE to. This also gets around combat tricks or other temporary effects that keep creatures alive that would nullify a burn spell like pumps, regeneration, and indestructible. It also makes blocking harder to do because now they can't trade with your creatures. These pesky death shadow creatures tend to make big blockers and then do massive attacks on the crack back. This kind of effect helps.

Its likely not an all star or a 4 of, but I could see it helping.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 6, 2017

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Hazrozet's Favor goes with Exert cards because you're not planning on waiting three whole upkeeps to get the Exertion benefit a second time, anyway.

Since it's a deferred penalty, you can also double-stack it with other sac outlets. Which includes the "place three -1/-1 counters" guys.

Also, if you're Johnny trash like me, you may be excited to learn that, including Limits of Solidarity, this upcoming standard will include no fewer than eight Treason effects.

Niton posted:

Cat Lord!

more like "Catpain of the Watch" imo

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Siivola posted:

You play it in a janky limited deck where you jam every every copy of whatever the Threaten card in this set that you see in the draft pool into your deck and make your opponent very sad.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Really weird how they bring back prowess out of the blue

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's evergreen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

You don't want to, but in a lot of matchups you HAVE to. This also gets around combat tricks or other temporary effects that keep creatures alive that would nullify a burn spell like pumps, regeneration, and indestructible. It also makes blocking harder to do because now they can't trade with your creatures. These pesky death shadow creatures tend to make big blockers and then do massive attacks on the crack back. This kind of effect helps.

Its likely not an all star or a 4 of, but I could see it helping.

What modern decks are playing pumps, regen and indestructible?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

What modern decks are playing pumps, regen and indestructible?

Infect, mirror, decks with goyf and death shadow.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
boros charm also gives indestructible but i'm guessing burn doesn't want to be casting that mode

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Soul Scar Mage seems pretty good with Radiant Flames.

Obviously in this scenario you also have that BG legendary guy so you get a half dozen snakes of course.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's been in almost every set since Khans :confused:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Between this and saying Gideon's Resolve was in normal packs, I'm not sure you actually pay much attention to what's going on w/ Magic.

A state much better than most of us, to be sure.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I like the flavor of red in this set, that they are total fanatics killing each other for the opportunity to be murdered by the blood god.

Also that 1-drop is loving crazy. ANY source you control? Goddamn.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Between this and saying Gideon's Resolve was in normal packs, I'm not sure you actually pay much attention to what's going on w/ Magic.

A state much better than most of us, to be sure.

Other than Stormchaser Mage that's the last time I remember anything that was Prowess in standard........At least as Prowess cards that actually got played.

Also, it's really not lunacy because I didn't know that some enchantment was exclusive to an intro deck. Who even knows what's in them except the foil planeswalkers?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Other than Stormchaser Mage that's the last time I remember anything that was Prowess in standard........At least as Prowess cards that actually got played.

Also, it's really not lunacy because I didn't know that some enchantment was exclusive to an intro deck. Who even knows what's in them except the foil planeswalkers?!

There has been at least one prowess creature per block since the keyword was first printed

• Locked thread