Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Oh and can this please go in this or a future OP

Even the humor in this thread is ancient history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

homullus posted:

Even the humor in this thread is ancient history.

New thread title please.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I was reading about the horse sacrifice traditions from various Indo-European cultures and a thought occurred to me: do you think Vercingetorix ever hosed a horse?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

eszett engma posted:

I was reading about the horse sacrifice traditions from various Indo-European cultures and a thought occurred to me: do you think Vercingetorix ever hosed a horse?

Certainly he did, but the bigger question is this: was the horse secretly an astral projection of the Bolivian Illuminatus?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Another day of volunteering to guard the sacrificial horse, everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress it. Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Another day of volunteering to guard the sacrificial horse, everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress it. Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it.

It's a sacrificial horse, how the hell are they gonna know

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Is the other way around an option? :horse: :butt:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

eszett engma posted:

Maybe there was an Indo-European myth where the chief god hosed a mare and she gave birth to divine twins.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grevling posted:

Maybe there was an Indo-European myth where the chief god hosed a mare and she gave birth to divine twins.

Romans were like "ok that's bullshit, we def tried and it's impossible."

"Ok how about a wolf?"

"Nope tried that too"

"Ok what about an abandoned kid raised by a wolf?"

"Eh sounds doable but we need more badassery"

"Abandoned twins raised by a wolf, then the wolves have them fight to the death for their entertainment"

"Spot on."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Horsefucking in mythology:
The Norse gods had Loki turn himself into a mare so he could seduce a giant horse to prevent a contractor from completing on time because they didn't want to hold up their end of the deal. Then Loki gave birth to a freaky super-horse which became Odin's horse because riding your friend's kid around isn't weird.

The Æsir were basically a bunch of assholes.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Mommy? Where do Centaurs come from?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Centaurs of Greek mythology were children (grandchildren, really) of Ixion and Nephele.

Ixion, king of the Lapiths of Thessaly, was brought to Mount Olympus by Zeus to avoid being judged as a kinslayer (having killed his father-in-law). Ixion had the hots for Hera, and so Zeus reshaped a cloud nymph to look like Hera, so that Ixion could gently caress her instead of Zeus' wife. The product of their union was Centauros, who had sex with the mares of Magnesia, and so created the Centaurs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

drat, Zeus

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FAUXTON posted:

drat, Zeus

Hey, Zeus ain't the one who sauntered off Olympus to go gently caress horses.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He's the one who'd saunter off Olympus to gently caress in the shape of a horse, though, that's for sure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

He's the one who'd saunter off Olympus to gently caress in the shape of a horse, though, that's for sure.

Or a bull.

Or a goose.

Or a beam of light allegorically representing his divine power.

Really, though, dude just liked to gently caress.

edit: seriously, the Jesus story would be so much better if god came down and laid the mack down on Mary, Zeus-stlyle. It would make for a great "so here's the thing. . . " conversation between Gabriel and Joseph, too.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I wonder if some of the earliest missionaries tried explaining Jesus' conception like that.

"So Zeus having changed into a ghost and impregnated this Jewish woman... "

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Actually, from what I remember, that sort of came up. A popular argument in Jewish polemics against early Christians was the ridiculous blasphemy of God impregnating a woman, whereas polytheist critics didn't really object to that claim. Gods have children with humans all the time!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Might have started out as that and got cut out later on. All those stories like to borrow plots from older myths.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, Zeus ain't the one who sauntered off Olympus to go gently caress horses.

A thread title on every page.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kellsterik posted:

Actually, from what I remember, that sort of came up. A popular argument in Jewish polemics against early Christians was the ridiculous blasphemy of God impregnating a woman, have children with humans all the time!

Rabbi: Young man, you don't follow for a very simple reason; these men are screwballs. God has children? What, and a dog? A collie, maybe? God doesn't have children. He's a bachelor. And VERY angry.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You'd think the Jews would be open to discussing whether or not God could have a child, at least, considering the whole Talmud thing. Hell, it was probably discussed in the Babylonian Talmud somewhere.

Read the Talmud, it's great. It's rabbis having theological slapfights with each other over hundreds of years, with footnotes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Judaism is humanity's longest running game of rules lawyering the dungeon master (the lord).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Horsefucking in mythology:
The Norse gods had Loki turn himself into a mare so he could seduce a giant horse to prevent a contractor from completing on time because they didn't want to hold up their end of the deal. Then Loki gave birth to a freaky super-horse which became Odin's horse because riding your friend's kid around isn't weird.

The Æsir were basically a bunch of assholes.

And that's not even the weirdest kid Loki had, not even in the top three.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ancient mythology reads like Silver Age Superman comics. The main characters are nominally heroes but come off as weird assholes, the plots take the most bizarre turns and twists, and it's all very opaque and simple at the same time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ancient mythology reads like Silver Age Superman comics. The main characters are nominally heroes but come off as weird assholes, the plots take the most bizarre turns and twists, and it's all very opaque and simple at the same time.

I think it's because the persons who invented much of that mythology (like the ancient greeks and viking) saw themselves as heroes but to everyone else they came off as weird assholes.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's to be expected when a bunch of epic drunk rear end dudes in smoky huts have too much time on their hands. Long winter nights.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Cronus, what are you doing?"
"Stand back, Rhea! Don't you see -- I have to eat my own children!"

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it's an absolute blast, even if she can't help but justify everything Caesar does.

I love her Cicero, he's such a nerd :allears:

I'm about to start reading the second book. I'm not all that familiar with the Marius/Sulla period, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it's been great. I love Scaurus.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I read those books when I was in high school and had absolutely no idea who like anyone involved except Gaius Julius Caesar were. It's an interesting way to first learn about these guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Octy posted:

I'm about to start reading the second book. I'm not all that familiar with the Marius/Sulla period, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it's been great.

The books are what actually introduced me to Sulla (I vaguely knew about Marius from the Marian Reforms) and man that was one fascinating dude.

Octy posted:

I love Scaurus.

There's an amazing scene in one of the early books (spoilering if you haven't got to it yet) about a big legal case involving Scaurus:

The lawyer lays out all the many reasons Scaurus is guilty and asks him to counter his claims. Scaurus gets up and says to the jury,"Yo who here finds me not-guilty?" and the whole jury bursts out laughing and puts their hands up and the case is dismissed and they all leave together laughing their asses off :allears:

Elyv posted:

I read those books when I was in high school and had absolutely no idea who like anyone involved except Gaius Julius Caesar were. It's an interesting way to first learn about these guys.

Especially Agrippa.

AGRIPPA :swoon:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I doubt the historic Aurelia Cotta was a crime boss, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Epicurius posted:

I doubt the historic Aurelia Cotta was a crime boss, though.

Well, his New Jerseyian descendents are therefore

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

God doesn't have children. He's a bachelor. And VERY angry.

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 7 days. This is very unsettling.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
New pyramid remains discovered south of Cairo

quote:

Remains found 40km south of Cairo could be of Egypt's first attempt to build a smooth-sided pyramid, officials say.

A top antiquities official said that an Egyptian excavation team has discovered the remains of a new pyramid that dates back to the 13th Dynasty, some 3,700 years ago.

The head of the Ancient Egyptian Antiquities Sector, Mahmoud Afifi, said in a statement on Monday that the remains were located north of King Sneferu's bent pyramid in the Dahshur royal necropolis, about 40km south of Cairo.

Due to the bent slope of its sides, the pyramid is believed to have been ancient Egypt's first attempt to build a smooth-sided pyramid.

The necropolis was the burial site for courtiers and high-ranking officials.

Adel Okasha, the head of Dahshur necropolis, said that the remains belong to the inner structure of the pyramid, including a corridor. Other remains included blocks showing the interior design of the pyramid.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 6, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good narrative history of the eastern Mediterranean from the end of the Bronze Age through to the Hellenistic? I realize it's a really broad and heavily studied timeframe but is there anything out there that covers all or most of it without being super basic or general?

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST
I'm reading "The Great Sea", by David Abulafia at the moment. It covers the period you mention and then some. I think it's quite interesting and well-written, although the author's politics do show here and there, particularly when ranting about "modern historians".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I always think of places like Egypt as having already been completely excavated. It's nice to be reminded that's far from the case, and fascinating to wonder how much we can learn from all the stuff still out there in a place like Egypt, let alone some of the places that have been comparatively barely touched.

Are there any recorded cases of something like battlefield PTSD surviving from ancient sources? Dan Carlin kinda touches on that in his persian wars podcast episodes but he's not a historian.

Also, unrelated, how likely is Cleopatra's suicide-by-snake to be a real thing? Are there other people supposed to have died that way?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Egypt probably has some really exciting stuff still waiting to be discovered, because deserts are superb at preserving written documents which would have rotted away in a wetter climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there any recorded cases of something like battlefield PTSD surviving from ancient sources? Dan Carlin kinda touches on that in his persian wars podcast episodes but he's not a historian.

While this is not a necessarily a historical work, Simon Weil's essay 'iliad, or the poem of force' is a very interesting read on the way violence and the way it affects people. I would highly recommend it. After having read it, the different descriptions of violence present in the Iliad begin to look like what a person with ptsd would write.