Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Platystemon posted:

Also, check out that shuttle in the background.

And some sort of VTOL in the upper left center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Longbaugh01 posted:

And some sort of VTOL in the upper left center.

It's a drone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah, it’s small. You can tell by the parallax when it’s in motion.

I assume it’s for Avasarala’s security, if for no other reason than Cotyar wouldn’t allow it if it weren’t under his control.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 6, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fister Roboto posted:

Not squinty enough. Holden is pretty much constantly squinting.

They just decided to do that instead of having his mouth gaped open all the time.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I don't understand Martens, Bobbie was never a soldier, she was always a Marine.

Speaking of which, Mars probably doesn't need a branch that only fights on the ground, but if Afghanistan is still being trouble, does the UN have an army-equivalent that only fights in the gravity well? Probably doesn't get to do too much otherwise, but more than Mars does.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

crazypeltast52 posted:

I don't understand Martens, Bobbie was never a soldier, she was always a Marine.

Speaking of which, Mars probably doesn't need a branch that only fights on the ground, but if Afghanistan is still being trouble, does the UN have an army-equivalent that only fights in the gravity well? Probably doesn't get to do too much otherwise, but more than Mars does.

Is the Afghanistan thing actually canon, because I would seriously love it if it was true.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I loved the grenade scene. The sound effects immediately afterward tell the whole story. That plus Alex's "I just figured I would show up and rescue you."

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Is the Afghanistan thing actually canon, because I would seriously love it if it was true.

Page 48 in the big paperback of Caliban's War:

"gently caress him," she said. "Tell him the Afghanis have been resisting external rule since before my ancestors were kicking out the British. As soon as I figure out how to change that, I'll let him know"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sammus posted:

I loved the grenade scene. The sound effects immediately afterward tell the whole story. That plus Alex's "I just figured I would show up and rescue you."

Yeah I was just coming here to post that that grenade scene was so good and straight out of an rpg. Amos passed his reaction check so well he got to throw it back and rolled a natural 20. I loved it, my wife made us watch it twice.

I also got all excited because I think Bobbie back to Ganymede for closure or to investigate something and that's when she's link up with the Rocci. Also holden needs to stop picking the red options. The more red options you pick the worse your batman voice gets and now he's losing party members over it. Seriously dude, better ethics, stop squinting, and speak clearly.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baronjutter posted:

The more red options you pick the worse your batman voice gets and now he's losing party members over it.
It's okay, he just has to pass Naomi's loyalty mission.

Great episode. Bobby's arc gets its payoff as she finally comes into her own. Alex continues to be one of the big improvements in the show. And as much as I've been enjoying the new and adapted stuff, most of Ganymede played out exactly like the book, so it was a lot of fun to see those scenes in action - the pizza and grenade scenes were two I was looking forward to in particular.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need subtitles now for the show because I can't loving understand holden's batman mumbles and my wife is ESL so it's extra hard for her. Really digging Alex's one-man-play aboard their ship. His sling shot flight seemed super sped up or the moons are super tiny? It seems like something like that would take hours just drifting on thrusters. The whole scene with the orbital map was kerbal space program as heck.

Can one of you cool video gif people make a gif of alex KSPing his orbital path ?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 6, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

Really digging Alex's one-man-play aboard their ship. His sling shot flight seemed super sped up or the moons are super tiny? It seems like something like that would take hours just drifting on thrusters. The whole scene with the orbital map was kerbal space program as heck.

The orbital map was cool, but yeah, they played that pretty fast and loose. Damned if I can do the math, but realistically, no way could gravity assists get him there in a useful timeframe, if at all. In a straight line, Cyllene (the tiny moon Alex was parked at) is like six times further from Ganymede than Luna is from Earth. It's also orbiting in the opposite direction, which means a bunch of extra velocity you've got to get rid of to reach Ganymede in a way that doesn't involve making new craters.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I can do that poo poo with Mechjeb too Alex no one is impressed :colbert:

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Post from the showrunner explaining why the slingshot scene is kind of bullshit:

http://www.danielabraham.com/2017/04/04/guest-post-losing-science-drama-finding-drama-science/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Those power armors need jetpacks, i feel

disturbing lack of jetpacking power armored soldiers with minigun-arms

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Those power armors need jetpacks, i feel

disturbing lack of jetpacking power armored soldiers with minigun-arms

Why bother when the future holds protomolecule suits as a chitinous exoskeleton that can sustain you in hard vacuum and ejaculate plasma bursts at 3000 m/s from an auto-tracking phallus?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Can one of you cool video gif people make a gif of alex KSPing his orbital path ?

Planning or flying?

Whatever; here are all my Alex GIFs:

https://giant.gfycat.com/GorgeousSolidGrub.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PresentDisguisedEnglishsetter.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ConsiderateVerifiableEland.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlueAccurateAcornweevil.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/SeparateSharpArawana.mp4

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Snowman Crossing posted:

Why bother when the future holds protomolecule suits as a chitinous exoskeleton that can sustain you in hard vacuum and ejaculate plasma bursts at 3000 m/s from an auto-tracking phallus?

You need power armor to fight protosoldiers in WWSpace the blueing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Man, that scene with the planning of the gravity assist was really cool.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toast Museum posted:

The orbital map was cool, but yeah, they played that pretty fast and loose. Damned if I can do the math, but realistically, no way could gravity assists get him there in a useful timeframe, if at all. In a straight line, Cyllene (the tiny moon Alex was parked at) is like six times further from Ganymede than Luna is from Earth. It's also orbiting in the opposite direction, which means a bunch of extra velocity you've got to get rid of to reach Ganymede in a way that doesn't involve making new craters.

The part when he runs into the MCRN ship and just nopes back behind the moon is pretty funny. That's messing with inertia about as badly as Eros did, I'm pretty sure.

The incinerator straight up disintegrating the hibernation pod thing looked pretty weird, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That kind of gravity assist thing would take forever yeah. I was willing to go with it but then wondered how he was planning to not crash into Ganymede at high velocity, those thrusters aren't going to work if he needed all those assists.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think they're gonna get through book 2 in this season then

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As of now we are basically 50% the way through book 2

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Amos is all like "so you're just gonna let me go psycho on people huh?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does holden not realize that the only reason amos likes him is that he's a really good moral compas, and his almost naive do-the-right-thing idealism is what attracted Naomi in the first place? He going to lose em both. He's not really useful for anything else.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Grand Fromage posted:

That kind of gravity assist thing would take forever yeah. I was willing to go with it but then wondered how he was planning to not crash into Ganymede at high velocity, those thrusters aren't going to work if he needed all those assists.

It was bad science (and the blog post lined above they straight up call it a failure on their part), but god drat if it wasn't hard to forgive due to how pretty it was.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kassad posted:

The part when he runs into the MCRN ship and just nopes back behind the moon is pretty funny. That's messing with inertia about as badly as Eros did, I'm pretty sure.

The incinerator straight up disintegrating the hibernation pod thing looked pretty weird, too.

At least Eros had protomolocue juice to give it ~space magic~...they do such a good job of everything, it's really jarring when they botch something like the gravity-assist run. Maybe they could have fast-forwarded through the sfx shots while Alex is "planning" the maneuver back on the ship so you can speed up the shots with it making sense. There could even be a moment where he's planning like "everything will be fine as long as we don't run into any surprise patrols" then cut to him having to adjust the course (rather than reverse w/o engines :lol: ) to avoid a surprise martian.

I dunno, I came up with that in 30 seconds, surprised the writers' room couldn't do better. :shrug:

Loved the grenade scene, great use of sound and fake smoke! Knocking scenes like that out of the park make the misses so surprising.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JossiRossi posted:

It was bad science (and the blog post lined above they straight up call it a failure on their part), but god drat if it wasn't hard to forgive due to how pretty it was.

It was cool. And at least gravity assist is a thing that exists.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

Does holden not realize that the only reason amos likes him is that he's a really good moral compas, and his almost naive do-the-right-thing idealism is what attracted Naomi in the first place? He going to lose em both. He's not really useful for anything else.

By the end of the episode he does lose them both.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Also a great bit: Martens the Space Boomer complaining about today's coddled Space Millennials.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Was episode ten the last episode of the season?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Was episode ten the last episode of the season?
Considering that the most recent one was episode 11, no. :v:

(There's two more.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kassad posted:

The perspective is dramatised, but he could have just seem them near the horizon and only had to change his path a little to put them fully behind the moon.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ConstantReliableCrow.mp4

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Good episode, but I guess I'll be in the minority and say that scenes where characters talk to themselves always seem forced to me.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I was just coming here to post that that grenade scene was so good and straight out of an rpg. Amos passed his reaction check so well he got to throw it back and rolled a natural 20. I loved it, my wife made us watch it twice.

I also got all excited because I think Bobbie back to Ganymede for closure or to investigate something and that's when she's link up with the Rocci. Also holden needs to stop picking the red options. The more red options you pick the worse your batman voice gets and now he's losing party members over it. Seriously dude, better ethics, stop squinting, and speak clearly.

If I took a drink every time you guys compared stuff in this show to an RPG or a game I'd be dead.

Doresain posted:

Post from the showrunner explaining why the slingshot scene is kind of bullshit:

http://www.danielabraham.com/2017/04/04/guest-post-losing-science-drama-finding-drama-science/

Kassad posted:

Yeah, the part where he seemingly reverses his orbit with thrusters to avoid the Martian ships is really the only thing that bothered me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The whole thing bothered me. Are thrusters enough to break orbit of whatever moon he was around? If he's slingshotting around, no way would be be able to instantly reverse course with just thrusters. It would have been better if he had started out doing a burn and then going silent and using thrusters to manipulate his trajectory to get to Ganymede. Getting there with just thrusters made no sense.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Longbaugh01 posted:

Good episode, but I guess I'll be in the minority and say that scenes where characters talk to themselves always seem forced to me.
He wasn't talking to himself, he was talking to the Roci. :colbert:

(Amos' "We?" and Alex's reaction at the end were pretty great.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

The whole thing bothered me. Are thrusters enough to break orbit of whatever moon he was around? If he's slingshotting around, no way would be be able to instantly reverse course with just thrusters. It would have been better if he had started out doing a burn and then going silent and using thrusters to manipulate his trajectory to get to Ganymede. Getting there with just thrusters made no sense.

Yeah I'm not the biggest science sperg and very happy with the level of realism in the expanse vs every other scifi ever put on TV or film, but this whole scene felt way way off. Even my friends who don't play KSP or aren't space nerds noticed it felt wrong too, it made the moons and jupiter orbit feel like it was all taking part in maybe a single cubic kilometer. Space ain't small.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, how did that MCRN ship not spot him? If I were assigned to watch a no fly zone, I'd be blasting out radar and whatever other detection technology I have to make sure no one gets through.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Also, how did that MCRN ship not spot him? If I were assigned to watch a no fly zone, I'd be blasting out radar and whatever other detection technology I have to make sure no one gets through.

Perhaps they were also running dark.

e: Here’s Bobbie:

https://fat.gfycat.com/MediocreElectricAnemone.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ClosedCompleteFowl.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/FondTidyFishingcat.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PhysicalAssuredFieldmouse.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Perhaps they were also running dark.

Why? It's an MCRN no fly zone, everyone on the system knows it, so everyone knows MCRN ships are there. There's no reason to run silent when enforcing a no fly zone.

• Locked thread