Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why are skeletons always depicted as white? Like OK, white skeletons are in the majority, but it's not like there are no brown skeletons. But they're just totally shut out of media representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Furthermore, GW only makes Bleached Bone which promotes unrealistic beauty standards.

#BeautyAtAnyStageOfDecay

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^ Edit: Reaper makes a 'Yellowed Bone' that is a better representative of many skeletons natural color. They also have a darker and lighter shade, 'Stained Ivory' and 'Creamy Ivory'. I am not really pleased with the names but the fact they're making a variety is positive.

The focus on white skeletons is really damaging to many skellies, you see a lot of them using prolonged sun-bleaching or even harsh chemicals to try and achieve that idealized 'bone white' appearance, regardless of the impact that can have. So many end up prematurely brittle due to this.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 6, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
This is the ideal skeleton color. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: wrong thread

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 6, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Maybe a better way to put it is "not everyone wants to prioritize table top games enough to be able to play all the games, and therefore would make a hard decision as to which one to play. In which case, they might choose one that doesn't take so much time and money to spend and provide the most amount of "fun" [gently caress I said it didn't I] per time and money spent"

Don't play all of them in one day.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Don't play all of them in one day.

Aren't you banned yet?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Back in my day those Skeletal Justice Warriors would be exorcised by local clerics.

Just saying.

:corsair:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Black unlives matter

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just like Skullet Johansson playing as the Majorbone in Bone in the Shell was really Boneheaded to Askeletons.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

There was no bone bleaching in Ghost in the Skull because the real problem is Scalpitalism.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Bunch of Skullcial Justice Warriors in this threads

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TKIY posted:

Aren't you banned yet?

his fursona doesnt give him enough gumption to eat a ban

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

his fursona doesnt give him enough gumption to eat a ban

If I get banned I will come back furrier and sexier than you could ever hope to be.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ijyt posted:

If I get banned I will come back furrier and sexier than you could ever hope to be.

:chloe:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This chrome plugin changes "skeleton" to "skeleton"

It's great for making whiny manbabies on the internet more fun. It's best when you forget you have it, and then you see a youtube link like "Rational College Professor DESTROYS Furious Skeletons!", and for a split second you forget that you don't live in a world where rampaging mindless dead are a huge problem.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:anime:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those interested...

Irate Tree posted:

Here's a vid of Newcromunda with a history lesson at the start. Actual game content starts about 20 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgoBnypDuQ

I'm gonna give it a miss but something i noted that seemed lovely;
At the end of your turn but before the beginning of the opponents turn, roll a D6. On a 6, something bad happens to a member of your opponents team (Trump supporters, or something). Roll another D6; On a 1, dude lives but makes an ammo check; 2-5, dude lives, proceed as normal; 6, lose a dude.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I tried watching it but got bored

I feel like the board should have been half the size

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

I tried watching it but got bored

I feel like the board should have been half the size

I do find it funny that so many war gamers say they love the story telling and fluff of the game, yet when they play its just rolling and number crunching.

It looks simple enough, and I certainly have enough minis. I will definitely be trying it out at my FLGS because they will be supporting it I'm sure.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

I do find it funny that so many war gamers say they love the story telling and fluff of the game, yet when they play its just rolling and number crunching.

It looks simple enough, and I certainly have enough minis. I will definitely be trying it out at my FLGS because they will be supporting it I'm sure.

The story comes after the game, when you can talk about how your guy capped a dude through a window, then failed an ammo check and had his bolter blow up and kill him.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

The story comes after the game, when you can talk about how your guy capped a dude through a window, then failed an ammo check and had his bolter blow up and kill him.

I guess. I assume it's part of playing for the camera, that they hurry through everything and just roll-roll-roll so that the video isn't 1.5 hours. It makes the game itself seem less fun.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I dont really see the problem with long lets play videos. You are tuning in to watch a game be played. If the game takes 2 hours, why should the video be 30mins? Ok some stuff you just dont need to show but that does not mean you should rush through (you lose the fun) or cut it down to a cursory recap of the turn (because then you didnt see the game).

I only ever watch/listen to this stuff while painting so sure, take your time.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
a lot of the stuff happening in one of these games is not particularly interesting to anyone not involved (someone thinking, pushing models around), which goes 10x for GW games which have an insane ratio of time taken to non-trivial decisions made

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Some bloke procrastinating should get cut, yeah. I guess the trick to a good lets play is to do a bit of narrating and try to explain why you are pushing the models over here rather than doing some other thing. A bad lets play is 5 minutes of silence followed by a grunt and some vague shuffling.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that video made me want to buy Deadzone

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugleb posted:

5 minutes of silence followed by a grunt and some vague shuffling.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

the title of your sex tapes

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Moola posted:

5 minutes? Undead stamina is so unfair on the rest of us

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Thirsty Dog posted:

5 minutes? Undead stamina is so unfair on the rest of us

It's not that they have stamina, they're just resistant to piercing attacks

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola posted:

that video made me want to buy Deadzone

I looked for this product on the Games Workshop website and couldn't find it, is this a Forgeworld thing?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

panascope posted:

I looked for this product on the Games Workshop website and couldn't find it, is this a Forgeworld thing?

No - it just sold out within 5 minutes of them putting it up in the store. They didn't anticipate the demand and will be working to get the rules to everyone.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's not that they have stamina, they're just resistant to piercing attacks

berzerkmonkey posted:

No - it just sold out within 5 minutes of them putting it up in the store. They didn't anticipate the demand and will be working to get the rules to everyone.

these are both good jokes

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Moola posted:

these are both good jokes

Tickled your funny bone?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Was that rule/spell that turned 6s to 1s and 1s to 6s real or a hoax?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Real.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So I was just at the GW website to see if the old Blood Bowl made to order teams were available yet and I noticed that Shadow Wars teams are being sold in boxes for $130-150. :stare: That's not really the kind of price tag that I expect to see on a skirmish game.

The Eldar one for instance is 21 models. An Enforcer starter set for Deadzone comes with 23 models and costs $40. For another $40 you get an additional 13 models including vehicles. That means for $80 you 36 models of varying shapes and sizes and can still afford to buy the core rules or terrain without spending as much on a single Shadow Wars team.

Like, I totally get if you already have a collection of 40k models why SW:A is so appealing, but I can't really see it being the kind of gateway game that GW hope it might be the way Deadzone is for Warpath.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I was just at the GW website to see if the old Blood Bowl made to order teams were available yet and I noticed that Shadow Wars teams are being sold in boxes for $130-150. :stare: That's not really the kind of price tag that I expect to see on a skirmish game.

The Eldar one for instance is 21 models. An Enforcer starter set for Deadzone comes with 23 models and costs $40. For another $40 you get an additional 13 models including vehicles. That means for $80 you 36 models of varying shapes and sizes and can still afford to buy the core rules or terrain without spending as much on a single Shadow Wars team.

Like, I totally get if you already have a collection of 40k models why SW:A is so appealing, but I can't really see it being the kind of gateway game that GW hope it might be the way Deadzone is for Warpath.

Yeah.. Cheapest option looks to be a 15 model Tau set for £57.50.

You can buy the Deadzone 2nd edition two player starter direct from Mantic for £50. That contains 20 models plus terrain, mat, book, dice and tokens.

Deadzone faction starters are £25 for about 20 models in each, so you are paying well over double the price for fewer models at the cheapest option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Going a step further, if you got the Enforcer starter plus booster for $80, you have around 1000 points for Firefight, a game played at 1250 points. For another $20 you could get one of 10 Enforcers, 10 Pathfinders, 1 Strider, 5 Peacekeepers, or 4 Jetbikes. Buying any one of those would get you to the 1250 point level and you'd have only spent $100 on models.

• Locked thread