Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

curiousCat posted:

I feel like Sandra would've been better on the boat.
"What the gently caress kind of advice can this nerd give me?"

Imagine Cochran coaching Ozzy on how to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, I'm all in on the Varner boat. The guy is going to reach Denise-levels of 'crap keeps happening to me' levels.

That said, the Varner/Zeke/Tai alliance is one I need to happen. If they give it a dork name like the Gaylliance or the Three Gaymigos I'm calling it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Welp looks like the Toronto know it alls is sold out already.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

curiousCat posted:

I feel like Sandra would've been better on the boat.
"What the gently caress kind of advice can this nerd give me?"

I bet it would be him asking her how he can play and win again and general geeking out

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sandra was both lucky and unlucky there. Her tribes kept having to vote people out so she was lucky she swapped into a majority in the first swamp and even luckier that Malcolm got voted out in the combined tribal instead of her, but then she went out here not really because of anything she did wrong but because she's scary two-time winner Sandra swapped into a minority.

Oh well, it was a good run.

The only way Sandra can play and not be a big target at this point is to be on a tribe with Tony again plus like Parvati and Boston Rob and Russell.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

CBS I'm gunna need that winners season to get some more Sandra episodes

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

KKKLIP ART posted:

I bet it would be him asking her how he can play and win again and general geeking out

Rob C has said on RHAP that Sandra is a huge fan of Cochran, so that would have gone well.

Michaela and Brad would also have been funny people to have there with Cochran. But Debbie was pretty good.

I think production is shooting themselves in the foot if they wanted big names to stick around this season. First off, they cast a bunch of A-list Survivors with a bunch of nobodies. Apparently there aren't enough people around from All-Stars to remember that this will end up in a big name slaughter. If you're going to do an all-returnees season, it needs to be either all huge names (Heroes vs. Villains) or mostly non A-listers (Cambodia) to ensure that the boot order isn't tragic. Second, tribe switches tend to screw over the biggest names/leaders/people playing the hardest in each tribe, rather than the players doing nothing or coasting by. That's why Sandra went home this week. Third, that stupid both tribes go to tribal council twist where Mana had all the incentive in the world to screw over Nuku by voting out a strong player (Malcolm).

If this season ends up with a Brad, Sierra, Troyzan, Sarah, and Hali final five (tbh I feel like that is the way this season is going), the Survivor press and fans gotta make it clear to production that they need to change things up for the next returnees season.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
As unlikely as it was, I was rooting for Sandra. I was wanting to see much more of her. She's just a great character to watch.

On another note Debbie's little sob when she had hug was sad. I think she's been putting up a front for so long that she kinda broke when someone was just nice to her.

So who do we want to win the season now?
Cochrane? Varner?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's a shame that the "Game Changers" theme of the season seems to involve more many more twists than are necessary. Twists put Big Brother on a lower strategic level than Survivor, and it's a huge shame to see them here with such prominence. Malcolm and Sandra getting eliminated because of a twist and unnecessarily frequent and random tribe swaps lowers the quality of the season.

I understand that twists were used throughout both shows' history to be able to draw in extra viewers "watching tonight... FOR THE BIG TWIST/GAME CHANGER!!!". But does this sort of advertising really effect viewership of a show in its 34th season?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The tribe swaps are fine. Both Gabon and Cambodia had two swaps. It bites that Sandra went home because of it, but players getting ousted because of a swap is nothing new. Malcolm going home is slightly worse, but it was more J.T. that sunk the ship than anything.

There are still enough players left that some strong contenders could emerge. Brad/Sierra have good games going on, Varner has had a pretty prominent placing in every episode, and Tai/Debbie, whether you like them or not, will probably be around for a while. There are still some quiet people waiting to strike, like Cirie/Zeke. I'm probably going to write off Hali/Andrea/Troyzan/Aubry at this point though.

Honestly, this feels like a season where we'll see some of the middle-of-the-road people make more of a splash, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think production is shooting themselves in the foot if they wanted big names to stick around this season. First off, they cast a bunch of A-list Survivors with a bunch of nobodies. Apparently there aren't enough people around from All-Stars to remember that this will end up in a big name slaughter. If you're going to do an all-returnees season, it needs to be either all huge names (Heroes vs. Villains) or mostly non A-listers (Cambodia) to ensure that the boot order isn't tragic.

Definitely this. I of course have no idea if this is the case, but I could picture some of the A-listers who may not even watch the show anymore wondering who the hell a lot of these players are. I think even casual fans of the show would struggle to remember anything about some of the "nobodies" on this season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Lone Goat posted:

Welp looks like the Toronto know it alls is sold out already.

drat, I didn't even realize tickets were up for sale yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ignoring next week's preview, this is what we're looking at for alliances right now, right? I put Mana on the left and Nuku on the right.

Aubrey and Michaela are loosely tied to Brad. They voted with him a few times each. I have them listed here as free agents for now.

Debbie is also a free agent. I guess she'll join the Ozzy block because she's annoyed with Brad.

I have no idea what Cirie is up to. I guess she's not happy with Ozzy right now?

Varner only seems to have Zeke left, with the setup they showed us this week.

Brad and Troyzan teaming up seems to be the only solid alliance being shown to us right now. I'm feeling pretty good about Brad moving forward.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shneak posted:

drat, I didn't even realize tickets were up for sale yet.

I was listening to last night's KIA this morning and that's when they "officially" announced it and they were already gone.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Ignoring next week's preview, this is what we're looking at for alliances right now, right? I put Mana on the left and Nuku on the right.

Aubrey and Michaela are loosely tied to Brad. They voted with him a few times each. I have them listed here as free agents for now.

Debbie is also a free agent. I guess she'll join the Ozzy block because she's annoyed with Brad.

I have no idea what Cirie is up to. I guess she's not happy with Ozzy right now?

Varner only seems to have Zeke left, with the setup they showed us this week.

Brad and Troyzan teaming up seems to be the only solid alliance being shown to us right now. I'm feeling pretty good about Brad moving forward.
am I confused? Aubry/Michaela and Varner started in the Russell-Sandra tribe, then went to the Sandra tribe. They've never been with Brad or Zeke before idt

And Brad and Troyzan? I guess that had the mens thing this episode but that's brand new.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All the tribe swaps make it impossible for me to keep track of who was with who and I'm fine with that. Because it also means that those relationships/alliances are probably pretty fragile and superficial and don't necessarily mean a lot.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Except you see parts of 3 days cut up into a 1 hour segment. It's understandable you don't remember who was with who, but the players clearly do and care to some extent. Especially where the numbers were very lopsided after a swap.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Sand Monster posted:

Definitely this. I of course have no idea if this is the case, but I could picture some of the A-listers who may not even watch the show anymore wondering who the hell a lot of these players are. I think even casual fans of the show would struggle to remember anything about some of the "nobodies" on this season.

This is a good thought, but the problem in this line of reasoning is that production evidently has no loving clue who the real a-listers are. This cast is stacked with "who?" people, to whom we were saying "who?" when they were put up for second chances and lost (and according to a few people, that vote was rigged, anyway). Come on, this is the team that gave us blue balls from dangling Shane Powers in front of every returnee season, to the point where he's over it and never coming back. This is the team that thought fans were just dying to see Amanda Kimmel and Candice Woodcock three times each.

If we're making Survivor/Big Brother comparisons, I'd say what they have in common is the desperate need to fire the casting director.

ETA: and with all that, I'm kind of...liking?!... Ozzy this season. Maybe having him in a full returnee season kicked his ego to the curb, where it belongs?

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of like Ozzy in general but I just don't think he's really had a chance to get all cocky and douchey like he does. He's only really been in two storylines this season and both were pretty reasonable "I don't trust Sandra/Cirie" ones. Because even if you like the two of them its because you KNOW they're dangerous and untrustworthy. For the most part he's been cruising in the game.

Milovan Drecun posted:

Except you see parts of 3 days cut up into a 1 hour segment. It's understandable you don't remember who was with who, but the players clearly do and care to some extent. Especially where the numbers were very lopsided after a swap.

I'm not saying that no relationships will last from 6 days of bonding or whatever. But the regular swaps give that stuff a lot less time to cement and for trust to be won out through Tribals and battles.

Which I like because it theoretically makes the game more fluid.

I wasn't saying "don't pay attention", I was saying "I don't even bother paying attention because its negligible how much this stuff really will matter." Its totally possible Zeke bonded with Brad quickly and that will factor into things post merge even if they haven't seen each other for a week, but that's too many possibilities and unknown for me to really think its worth speculating about this early.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

If we're making Survivor/Big Brother comparisons, I'd say what they have in common is the desperate need to fire the casting director.

I don't think you can blame the casting director for Big Brother, as she also is the casting director for Big Brother Canada and it doesn't suffer from the same issues. I think the problem is the priorities of the producers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think you can blame the casting director for Big Brother, as she also is the casting director for Big Brother Canada and it doesn't suffer from the same issues. I think the problem is the priorities of the producers.

t r u t h.

although casting for over the top could have gone a lot worse.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of like Ozzy in general but I just don't think he's really had a chance to get all cocky and douchey like he does. He's only really been in two storylines this season and both were pretty reasonable "I don't trust Sandra/Cirie" ones. Because even if you like the two of them its because you KNOW they're dangerous and untrustworthy. For the most part he's been cruising in the game.

yeah pretty sure this was his first tribal. i was rooting for sandra to pull that off but i actually would have felt bad for ozzy if he had taken a bullet thanks to tai. i'd be so terrified to have tai in my season. that said it seemed like the lack of communication there was basically everyone's fault.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cirie's the only person left who hasn't gone to tribal. Really just bad luck for Sandra/Varner they got stuck with four Tavua people. If it was a good mix of Tavuas/Manas they could have at least tried to worm something in.

While I'm still not a Zeke fan, I think him being around will at least ensure the game won't be boring; he'll be itching to make a move before a full Pagonging once merge time. Good thing too, because even if an original Nuku goes home next week they'll still be down 5-8. Another thing to their advantage is that none of the five are really high priority targets - Michaela is the only real threat, so more likely than not the tribe will cannibalize themselves going after people like Ozzy and Cirie.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

thexerox123 posted:

This is a miscommunication on my part. Alison Grodner is really who I'm talking about, since she abuses her final say with regards to casting. Canada is a more accurate representation of the one who's trying to do her actual job. I could have said it better, but it actually kind of proves my point.

why do I know any of this

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't go to the Wikipedia page for this season for now, by the way. I think the vote for the next episode was spoiled when I just checked it. No idea if it's accurate (they only showed six votes instead of seven from the losing tribe), but better safe than sorry.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I can't wait for Debbie to get sent to exile multiple times, eventually get all three advantages, and still lose horribly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cirie's the only person left who hasn't gone to tribal. Really just bad luck for Sandra/Varner they got stuck with four Tavua people. If it was a good mix of Tavuas/Manas they could have at least tried to worm something in.

While I'm still not a Zeke fan, I think him being around will at least ensure the game won't be boring; he'll be itching to make a move before a full Pagonging once merge time. Good thing too, because even if an original Nuku goes home next week they'll still be down 5-8. Another thing to their advantage is that none of the five are really high priority targets - Michaela is the only real threat, so more likely than not the tribe will cannibalize themselves going after people like Ozzy and Cirie.

Yeah, you could kind of see how Zeke was less motivated by "Sandra is a threat" than "OMG I GET TO BE THE FIRST PERSON TO VOTE OUT SANDRA!" Zeke's combination of super fanism and tendency to get a little arrogant seems like a minefield in a veteran season. But it should make for some amusing explosions.

Ozzy and Cirie are definitely the big name "threats" left who could fall next just because of who they are and not actually based on anything they've done in this game. Zeke's MO seems to kind of be to go "Got out Sandra! Now wouldn't it be cool to vote out Ozzy?!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

Ozzy and Cirie are definitely the big name "threats" left who could fall next just because of who they are and not actually based on anything they've done in this game. Zeke's MO seems to kind of be to go "Got out Sandra! Now wouldn't it be cool to vote out Ozzy?!"

I definitely think the next boot is Ozzy or Cirie. The merge is probably going to be at the final 13 so they can have a 10 man jury with 3 finalists.

If Mana loses, Cirie doesn't seem to have any allies and she's a post-merge threat.

If Nuku loses, Ozzy might have Sarah, Andrea, and Zeke as allies so they can go after Tai, but Tai can just idol him out. Maybe it's Debbie or Varner just to avoid idol play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I definitely think the next boot is Ozzy or Cirie. The merge is probably going to be at the final 13 so they can have a 10 man jury with 3 finalists.

Sierra's legacy advantage says use at 13 or 6 so yeah it's pretty much guaranteed merge is at 13.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Does anyone have the "Next Time...." for the episode before the JT letter from HVV?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone have the "Next Time...." for the episode before the JT letter from HVV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5lW0mkocs

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

I really wonder how hard it was for the cameraman to keep his cool during that conversation.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Holy poo poo yes, I've been wanting to see that again for so long! Though I assume it'll get taken down soon considering you just uploaded it?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

Holy poo poo yes, I've been wanting to see that again for so long! Though I assume it'll get taken down soon considering you just uploaded it?

I don't think CBS is very aggressive in taking down clips from old season? Like, you can find entire TCs that have been up for years. I think mostly probably people haven't bothered uploading the promos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

I’m tempted to say Cochran’s guest appearance on Game Changers was vanilla, but I feel like that would be doing a great disservice to the flavor of vanilla. Children clamour to get a vanilla ice cream cone, but nobody was clamouring for this unnecessary diversion.

Sometimes Inside Survivor's reviews are gold.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, you could kind of see how Zeke was less motivated by "Sandra is a threat" than "OMG I GET TO BE THE FIRST PERSON TO VOTE OUT SANDRA!" Zeke's combination of super fanism and tendency to get a little arrogant seems like a minefield in a veteran season. But it should make for some amusing explosions.

I would be very surprised if one of the first few confessionals next episode wasn't Zeke gleefully going, 'I voted out Sandra! ME!'. No you dummy, you voted out someone 5-2 who saw it coming.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
we talk about how dumb people are for not voting out sandra and zeke does it and we're making fun of him for it?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think everyone agrees - whether or not you were rooting for her - that voting out Sandra was the right move. But Zeke's likely motivation for doing so - because Sandra is a big name and not because Sandra is a threat - is reflective of his playstyle. Zeke is a very Ciera-like player (and arguably representative of the newer generation of Survivor players) that wants to make big moves and is itching to 'play'. He's constantly looking for whoever he thinks are threats and will have no hesitations of nixing his closest allies if he deems them to be dangerous.

Is that a valid way to win? Yes - look at Tony. But it's also a playstyle that is very dangerous to do in the spotlight, and you need a good social game to back it up. And that's where I think Zeke's downfall is; he's arrogant and a proponent of big game moves. If I remember right, from pre-game interviews he was very against Michele as a winner. And whether or not you agree with him on that front, I think that's indicative of how he thinks a winner should be winning. He's a big fanboy of schemers like Cirie, but I don't think he's cottoned onto the need for social play like they have. So I think he's a contender for making it far, but my guess is that he's gonna fall into the Aubry trap of not doing social management well.

Or I could be wrong and he goes on to win 10-0-0. But hey, that's the game.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
RIP Queen! The applause that she got when she left and Jeff's torch snuffing chat was very sweet and a nice way to send her off.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Well, I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A85gieSwH4

( :thejoke: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think CBS is very aggressive in taking down clips from old season? Like, you can find entire TCs that have been up for years. I think mostly probably people haven't bothered uploading the promos.

There was an old "Next time.. on Survivor!" from Fiji (the one right before the Fall of the Four Horseman episode where Dreamz screws everything up) where it was just like 30 straight seconds of different people floating different targets. I've looked for that old promo but haven't been able to find it.

• Locked thread