Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Why? It's an MCRN no fly zone, everyone on the system knows it, so everyone knows MCRN ships are there. There's no reason to run silent when enforcing a no fly zone.

There is if you’re doing black OPs or want to trick people like Alex into thinking the coast is clear.

e: I edited Bobbie GIFs into my post on the last page so as not to torture connections/CPUs on this page.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Forgot to mention, I hope this episode finally kills the Bobbie criticism.

Cojawfee posted:

Why? It's an MCRN no fly zone, everyone on the system knows it, so everyone knows MCRN ships are there. There's no reason to run silent when enforcing a no fly zone.

Maybe they just weren't running active radar because they're assuming any ship entering the area will have a drive plume that they'll spot a huge distance away, and also they're just assmuning they've already accounted for all the ships already in the zone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

There's no stealth in space, but there is in the expanse some how. Don't worry about it. In the expanse if you aren't doing a main engine burn you're pretty well hidden.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

There's no stealth in space, but there is in the expanse some how. Don't worry about it. In the expanse if you aren't doing a main engine burn you're pretty well hidden.

Or you could not jump to far more hyperbolic conclusions and just conclude that there was human error or overconfidence involved.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The shot with the moons being super close to one another was also funny, really felt like the director got tired of the science nerds in this one and just went with pretty pictures and some action movie logic.

I mean, as a nerd it's hard for me to look past that poo poo, but I guess it was generally an ok episode and even that sequence was generally pretty due to allof those Alex moments.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

Or you could not jump to far more hyperbolic conclusions and just conclude that there was human error or overconfidence involved.

Perhaps the ship was crewed by soft entitled martians that don't know the meaning of sacrifice or duty!!!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
What happened with that incinerator scene? Is that relevant to anything, or was the cgi just REALLY bad?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What happened with that incinerator scene? Is that relevant to anything, or was the cgi just REALLY bad?

Correct.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Nothing? Not really? Looked fine to me unless I missed some subtle mistake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I guess it was just to show the one guy that protomolecule exists and that they were experimenting with it in that lab.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Specifically that the whole pod just sorta popped out of existence. Just thought it looked really goofy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Specifically that the whole pod just sorta popped out of existence. Just thought it looked really goofy.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess...future incinerators are so hot they instantly vaporize things? Who knows. It's not that big a deal.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Episode notes:

1. Naomi's "I had a child" speech is what I was talking about for the good acting in the scene where she and Holden met Prax on Tyco Station. She did a good "I'm lying" reaction when she denied having a child there.

2. Clarissa Mao briefly mentioned, then dropped by Avasarala changing the subject. I wonder if we'll see her before next season.

3. Did we know Alex wears a wedding band? I can't remember if Show Alex is actually divorced or just separated/abandoned his family. Or if they haven't said.

4. Avasarala has a cool quasi-abstract painting or chalk drawing of planets in her office. I want it.

5. The disintegration/incineration effect on that protomolecule thing was the most ridiculous and cheesy thing I've ever seen on this show.

6. It's completely bizarre that it was followed by the sublime awesomeness that was the grenade. That might be the best minimalist thing ever.

7. I've been ambivalent about the Bobbie/Avasarala changes, but really like how it came together in this episode. My greatest fear was that the Mao ship rendezvous wouldn't happen. :getin:

8. Protomolecule on Venus storyline pacing has been erratic. I think they're still going to close out book 2 with this season, though.

The next two episodes are The Monster and the Rocket and Caliban's War.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 6, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cojawfee posted:

The whole thing bothered me. Are thrusters enough to break orbit of whatever moon he was around?

The outer moons of Jupiter are just captured asteroids. Cyllene is a whole 2 kilometers in radius, it's smaller than established space stations in the Expanse. The escape velocity from its surface is a whole one meter per second.

So, yes. Yes they are. If you were standing on the surface, your legs would be enough to break free of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

5. The disintegration/incineration effect on that protomolecule thing was the most ridiculous and cheesy thing I've ever seen on this show.
https://fat.gfycat.com/NegativeScientificKingbird.mp4

It’s just lovely effects. I wouldn’t normally inject book knowledge, but I really don’t think the audience is supposed to be wondering about this cremation.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

6. It's completely bizarre that it was followed by the sublime awesomeness that was the grenade. That might be the best minimalist thing ever.
https://fat.gfycat.com/ThoroughFlatGourami.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 6, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

The sounds and expressions and camera work after the grenade were thrown in were so amazing. The slow shift bringing Amos into frame, significantly less freaked out than everyone else but still thinking WTF.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean I get why they did it. If you just had huge jets of flames engulf the casket and cut away, there can still be questions of whether they actually got rid of it.

But they really should have just gone with that and had those questions, because it would have been less dumb.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Number Ten Cocks posted:

1. Naomi's "I had a child" speech is what I was talking about for the good acting in the scene where she and Holden met Prax on Tyco Station. She did a good "I'm lying reaction" when she denied having a child there.

2. Clarissa Mao briefly mentioned, then dropped by Avasarala changing the subject. I wonder if we'll see her before next season.

Yeah, first mentions of both of them really stuck out to me. I was going to mention it here but didn't want to get into book poo poo.

Phanatic posted:

The outer moons of Jupiter are just captured asteroids. Cyllene is a whole 2 kilometers in radius, it's smaller than established space stations in the Expanse. The escape velocity from its surface is a whole one meter per second.

So, yes. Yes they are. If you were standing on the surface, your legs would be enough to break free of it.

Ok. In that case then I'm not bothered by it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Getting out of Cyllene's orbit isn't a problem, but its retrograde orbit around Jupiter is. Cyllene's average orbital velocity is about 2200 m/s in the opposite direction of Ganymede's orbit. I can't see thrusters gravity assists from tiny moons getting the job done.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

Forgot to mention, I hope this episode finally kills the Bobbie criticism.

I was loving fist pumping during the scene where she took Martens to task

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also a great bit: Martens the Space Boomer complaining about today's coddled Space Millennials.

It was really rich for him to be telling that to a marine who was injured and whose squad was wiped out. Oh hey, you don't really know sacrifice, I had to hide under a desk once. :smug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

unlawfulsoup posted:

It was really rich for him to be telling that to a marine who was injured and whose squad was wiped out. Oh hey, you don't really know sacrifice, I had to hide under a desk once. :smug:

Yeah, she just had her entire squad slaughtered and thrown under the bus so some loving corrupt desk jocky's weapons deal could go through

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Those punches were very satisfying, yes.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kassad posted:

She should have broken her hand. Still not as bad as the incinerator, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

Getting out of Cyllene's orbit isn't a problem, but its retrograde orbit around Jupiter is. Cyllene's average orbital velocity is about 2200 m/s in the opposite direction of Ganymede's orbit. I can't see thrusters gravity assists from tiny moons getting the job done.

Maybe he could have done some misdirection, like let the MCRN think he was burning hard to get out of the system, but then use thrusters to redirect around a moon and burn in its shadow.

Everyone in The Expanse is inexplicably incompetent at tracking ship trajectories, so he could probably get away with it.

https://fat.gfycat.com/ImmediatePhysicalFalcon.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ShabbyBothJavalina.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/HelpfulHilariousHuemul.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/InstructiveBoilingGermanpinscher.mp4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that holograph backpack, it's such a nice touch.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, she just had her entire squad slaughtered and thrown under the bus so some loving corrupt desk jocky's weapons deal could go through

Kassad posted:

Yeah, worth it for justice beatdown.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grand Fromage posted:

It was cool. And at least gravity assist is a thing that exists.

I was pretty torn on that scene too, but after reading that blog post I'm now sad that we didn't get this:

quote:

(In a moment of derangement, I briefly considered fixing the problem by using VFX to make Alex’s beard appear longer each time we cut back to him, with empty beer cans and food bar wrappers accumulating around him to imply that a lot of time was passing in each cut. I’m only half kidding.)

Because that would have been completely hilarious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradoxish posted:

I was pretty torn on that scene too, but after reading that blog post I'm now sad that we didn't get this:

Because that would have been completely hilarious.

Having the no fly zone declared early and replacing alex's on-ship boredom with him very slowly falling around jupiter while amassing more beer cans would have worked great :(
Just anything other than him doing his entire maneuver in like 20 seconds.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Haven't seen the new episode yet, but I'm assuming the Nauvoo hasn't made it to the Fireworks Factory yet.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Alex on the Roci is way better than in the books. There he's implied to just be bundled up in a pile of blankets on the bridge with the power way down to keep the energy signature low.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

vermin posted:

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but I'm assuming the Nauvoo hasn't made it to the Fireworks Factory yet.

I don't know what you mean by "Fireworks Factory" (not a book reader, at least not yet) but there's been no mention of the Nauvoo since Eros. TBH that's one loose end I'd really like tied up.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don't remember from the books, how do they even or can they even remotely shut off the Nauvoo's engine? Does it eventually run out of reaction mass? Unless it's on an escape orbit from the solar system, it might take quite a very long time for it to complete its solar orbit. Though, I guess they could chase it down.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i was under the assumption that the nauvoo can't really turn around or maneuver in anyway because it's not complete. also, they still used tugs to move it out of tycho station

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

This show is missing out on so many merch opportunities.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't worry, you'll be able to buy that backpack from every etsy store in a couple weeks.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I don't know what you mean by "Fireworks Factory" (not a book reader, at least not yet) but there's been no mention of the Nauvoo since Eros. TBH that's one loose end I'd really like tied up.

The biggest ship in the solar system and it just dropped off everyone's radar and nobody's talking about it (I assume since I haven't seen the latest episode). They built up to it existing for so long that to just have it disappear without comment after it failed to do the thing they programmed it to do smacks of a big shocking reveal. The Fireworks Factory in this case is just waiting for it to reappear.

Don't know if you know what I'm talking about with Fireworks Factory. It has nothing to do with the books. Here's the old Simpsons clip where it came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRoIgNZ8Z8

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't remember from the books, how do they even or can they even remotely shut off the Nauvoo's engine? Does it eventually run out of reaction mass? Unless it's on an escape orbit from the solar system, it might take quite a very long time for it to complete its solar orbit. Though, I guess they could chase it down.

BOOK SPOILER SORRY!!!

I thought Tycho station built an unmanned drone ship that could travel even faster, as it had no people on it, to intercept and take remote control?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
In the books the Nauvoo isn't mentioned for a long time until it is. I expect it early next season.

Snuffman posted:

BOOK SPOILER SORRY!!!

I thought Tycho station built an unmanned drone ship that could travel even faster, as it had no people on it, to intercept and take remote control?

Yes. You only find out after it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

gohmak posted:

This show is missing out on so many merch opportunities.
I don't remember it being in the show, but in the books, Holden chats with Miller about this cartoon when they're dying on Eros. I thought that was a nice Easter egg.

• Locked thread