Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Between this and saying Gideon's Resolve was in normal packs, I'm not sure you actually pay much attention to what's going on w/ Magic.

A state much better than most of us, to be sure.

Prowess is evergreen, though. It was on that blue 2/3 in Kaladesh.

Edit: I'm real dumb - 0
Basic Post - Edit

Acknowledge that you misread the post you quoted. Move your post to the top of the page.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Also, it's really not lunacy because I didn't know that some enchantment was exclusive to an intro deck. Who even knows what's in them except the foil planeswalkers?!

The Chandra one from KLD has a Chandra-themed functional reprint of Lightning Blast that's actually seen marginal Standard play, funnily enough. I don't remember its name though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I could've sworn there was a card in standard that was This But Strictly Better, but I can't remember it.

Edit: I must've been imagining things. :shrug:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 6, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Spells and abilities you control have Wither" is pretty rad on a one-drop dude. Even better than that because it doesn't cause Pyroclasm et. al. to nuke your own dudes. Very Good.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
quick question; would Flame Rift be too powerful for Standard/Modern?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A big flaming stink posted:

If you have to ask, then yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Standard no, modern probably

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

My cat Shuffle does not want to be a mummy. I tried! But he's still excited about this:

I volunteer for the Long Island Feline Adoption Center, which is a non-profit, no-kill adoption center on Long Island. Every cat there gets a home, no matter how long it takes! We've had cats there for years before they found a loving home. We're cage-free, so the adoption center is set up like a living room: the cats have their own couch, TV that constantly plays cat-friendly DVDs, and they get lots of attention from our volunteers. The previous Cat Drafts didn't feature a set with nearly this many cats, so we're all excited to actually draft cats at the Cat Draft. There'll be a bake sale there to raise even more money for the cats. Brothers Grim is giving us all the packs for the draft at their cost, and all the proceeds go towards getting the cats food, medical checkups, and other essentials.

I also make tokens to give out for the occasion every time. I haven't finished any of the Amonkhet tokens yet (and I just found out yesterday and today that there were tokens other than the embalmed creatures) but here's a sample of last year's Shadows over Innistrad tokens:

That last one was done by classic Magic artist Jeff Menges (of Swords to Plowshares and Thawing Glaciers fame), who is unconfirmed but may draw another token and/or show up for the event. I'm friends with the agent of at least one of the artists in Amonkhet, so I'm going to try to get some signed versions of those cards to give away also.

If you're in the Long Island area on May 13th, come down and help out cats!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Siivola posted:

I could've sworn there was a card in standard that was This But Strictly Better, but I can't remember it.

Edit: I must've been imagining things. :shrug:

You might be thinking of Exquisite Firecraft, which was in Origins and only rotated out last year. That was 3 mana with upside but as a Sorcery.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

There has been at least one prowess creature per block since the keyword was first printed

Yeah, 3 playable cards and only one of them was recent (Stormchaser)

Swiftspear and Abbot are like a year + old.

edit: Niblis saw play for like 2 weeks in a sideboard

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

More likely I just can't read; I wasn't around when Origins was in. I was probably thinking Incendiary Flow, which is 3 damage for 2 mana, at Sorcery speed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i really miss Exquisite Firecraft. the escalate burn spell was probably supposed to fill that 'slot' in this standard but the difference between hitting players for 3 vs 4 is massive vs the current crop of walkers so it's just not playable.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yeah, 3 playable cards and only one of them was recent (Stormchaser)

Swiftspear and Abbot are like a year + old.

edit: Niblis saw play for like 2 weeks in a sideboard

You said "In Standard", not standard playable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

If you're in the Long Island area on May 13th, come down and help out cats!

I wish I lived near this only so I could play to support some cats.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

"Spells and abilities you control have Wither" is pretty rad on a one-drop dude. Even better than that because it doesn't cause Pyroclasm et. al. to nuke your own dudes. Very Good.

the card is neat but I don't really understand where the upside is. So you cast shock on a 3/3 and it turns into a 1/1? What exactly does that accomplish? Is it supposed to fit in an aggro or control gameplan? Without much burn or efficient cantrips in the format i'm pretty down on a 1/2 prowess as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I wish I lived near this only so I could play to support some cats.

Same.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

the card is neat but I don't really understand where the upside is. So you cast shock on a 3/3 and it turns into a 1/1? What exactly does that accomplish? Is it supposed to fit in an aggro or control gameplan? Without much burn or efficient cantrips in the format i'm pretty down on a 1/2 prowess as well.

Wither > Burn on creatures. A 1/1 doesn't trade with your 2/3. A 1/1 doesn't hit you for 3 without help next turn. Wither makes standard combat tricks suck and neuters vehicles. If racing is what you want to do, it helps the gameplan.

So far shock and magma spray are the only standouts, but there is still hope.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Giving wither to burn spells helps red aggro/midrange against opposing midrange decks by making burn spells matter even if they're not powerful enough to outright kill a creature. It's a marginal bonus, but one that could be relevant in the right metagame environment.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

little munchkin posted:

Damage on creatures doesn't reduce the damage they can do back, it can't kill indestructible creatures, and it gets cleared at the end of every turn.

Replacing damage with -1/-1 counters does all of these things.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Wither > Burn on creatures. A 1/1 doesn't trade with your 2/3. A 1/1 doesn't hit you for 3 without help next turn. Wither makes standard combat tricks suck and neuters vehicles. If racing is what you want to do, it helps the gameplan.

So far shock and magma spray are the only standouts, but there is still hope.

Wither is good but I just don't think a Red Prowess 1 drop is going to be played by a deck that can use Wither very well.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Shock+Swiftspear VS a 3/3 = the 3/3 dies, you lose shock, Swiftspear dies
Shock+Soulscar VS a 3/3 = the 3/3 dies, you lose shock, Soulscar lives.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

Because of wither and prowess that's true for a 4/4 meaning shock and that one drop let's you trade shock with Heart of Kiran if it blocks your 1/2.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Who even plays 3/3s??

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

black potus posted:

Who even plays 3/3s??

I

CAST

MOUTH!!!!!!!!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Alris posted:

There's not really anything around in Standard that makes Harmless Offering worthwhile, is there? Apart from maybe Midnight Oil, in the edgiest of cases.

This was lost among the CatLord discussion earlier but I'd still like to know if anyone can think of a card in current Standard to make it work. Or even Modern, I guess.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Alris posted:

This was lost among the CatLord discussion earlier but I'd still like to know if anyone can think of a card in current Standard to make it work. Or even Modern, I guess.

Demonic Pact is available in Modern, but I don't think it's anywhere near good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A worthy cause but you missed the very obvious Amon-cat pun.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

Soul Scar Mage seems pretty good with Radiant Flames.

Obviously in this scenario you also have that BG legendary guy so you get a half dozen snakes of course.

Kozileks return as well.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
For the aftermath split cards, since they're considered instant/sorceries, can i say, counter the cast of the instant part of it with warping wail?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

new liliana + felidar + defiant salvager=infinite combo and a huge creature. salvager sacs felidar, liliana minuses to revive, felidar flickers lili, repeat. then fling to face.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 7, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rynder posted:

For the aftermath split cards, since they're considered instant/sorceries, can i say, counter the cast of the instant part of it with warping wail?

no since the cards are only on the stack existing as whichever half was cast.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

why is my opponent blocking here instead of just saying "sure, take 1"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

I think the red deck is enjoying that line more than the person who isn't blocking. Probably going to the face for added value when there isn't blocks.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

its me glenda posted:

no since the cards are only on the stack existing as whichever half was cast.

Oh poo. I'm really trying to justify my main deck 4-of warping wails and i guess all the x/1 or 1/x things are good enough.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

its me glenda posted:

new liliana + felidar + defiant salvager=infinite combo and a huge creature. salvager sacs felidar, liliana minuses to revive, felidar flickers lili, repeat. then fling to face.

Well now they're definitely gonna ban the cat

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rynder posted:

I'm pretty sure only the half being cast can be looked at for effects like that. For example, if you cast Fail, it would appear on the stack as just Fail, an instant. The Comply half isn't on the stack, but on the card. When it's in any other zone, it has both sides of the card on it. Just not on the stack.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Just saying if the format is full of creatures and your gameplan is "play a bunch of removal spells that don't actually kill those creatures, plus this 1/2 dude" your gameplan sucks rear end

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

You're being attacked by a toolcraft exemplar, a nerd ape, and this guy. You have a 3/3. Are you just going to take 7 and not block anything ever?

E: there are lots of two toughness creatures in the format, but it's often really good to have them also affect bigger creatures too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does RDW come back in standard at least at a T2 spot with AKH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

new liliana + felidar + yahenni=infinite combo and a huge creature. yahenni sacs felidar, liliana minuses to revive, felidar flickers lili, repeat. then fling to face.

Am I missing something? Yahenni gets a bonus when something your opponent controls dies and saccing gets it indescribable.

Edit
Phone posting, saw the edit to the post.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 7, 2017

• Locked thread