Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
then there's no helping you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What does eating a hot dog have to do with world government? Lol

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
In response to some teacher that brought her kid to class:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kontradaz posted:

If I got paid 1200 a class and only had 20 students I'd probably be a teacher right now

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

If I could just cancel classes and assign reading, I'd do that for $1200 a pop.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Yawgmoth posted:

If I got paid 1200 a class and only had 20 students I'd probably be a teacher right now

drat, gonna switch my focus from research to teaching. What a cushy job !

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kontradaz posted:

As a teacher, let me say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Furthermore, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah as adjunct faculty, gently caress you . LOL

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know of institutions which pay $1200 per course.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah as adjunct faculty, gently caress you . LOL

I'd bet all that sweet, sweet $1200/lesson that the guy spends all of class loving around on Facebook, too.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

oh god, these chucklefucks

I swear, most of the opposition to smart meters has ended up, in the end, being people complaining that they can't mess with their current meter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

*cites a 9th grade science project* can't you see the evidence??? wake up!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

*cites a 9th grade science project* can't you see the evidence??? wake up!

If you can't trust stopsmartmeters.org with breaking science news, who can you trust?!?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Orgonite prevents damage from wifi, so I don't get what's the deal. Plenty of wifi towers have already been seeded with cloudbursters so the negative energy is canceled out. Even if the tower in your area hasn't been gifted you are carrying around orgonite, right?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Saw this on my feed and explained in two concise comments exactly why it's bullshit. Got no back argument from the OP (a smart and reasonable ex-coworker), only a like on each comment. Today was a good day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone please provide a one or two sentence background on the smartmeter controversy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CommonShore posted:

Someone please provide a one or two sentence background on the smartmeter controversy.

Big brother spying on you and wifi is poison through the airwaves. It's either part of the new panopticon or the Illuminati depopulation project -- possibly both.

Also they make grow operations easier to spot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CommonShore posted:

The relatively reasonable objections to smart meters are along the lines of "they're open to hacking and cyber attacks and there's a potential for them to be used by the companies that operate them to violate our privacy."

The stupid and much more common objection to it is "they cause cancer because wi-fi :byodood:"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

You're a boomer?

Gross.

i repent for my sins daily by being a millennial

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pakled posted:

The relatively reasonable objections to smart meters are along the lines of "they're open to hacking and cyber attacks and there's a potential for them to be used by the companies that operate them to violate our privacy."

The stupid and much more common objection to it is "they cause cancer because wi-fi :byodood:"

This. The concerns are:

1. EM fields CAUSE CANCER!!! which is bullshit because it's very low energy, non-ionizing radiation. A smart meter uses either a custom WiFi protocol at 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz, depending on vendor. Lots of new ones just use a 4G/LTE cell module with SIM card.

2. Privacy concerns! Utilities don't give a poo poo how you use your power, but they do like having accurate load data so they can accurately forecast what's needed for generation.

3. I can't trust that company!!! Well, that's a personal problem. The connected smart meters do allow for neat stuff like remote service connects/disconnects, pings, up/down service indicators, etc. Somehow this makes people think companies are spying on them.

vv Yah I don't blindly trust companies either, but it's not like added remote capabilities further decrease that trust.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Apr 6, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I too trust our capitalist overlords.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Excuse me Ms. Sanam, but fake bullshit designed to fleece people out of their money knows no race. :colbert:

(Also, if their witchy poo poo is fake, why do you have to worry about it throwing your real magic (sorry, magicks) out of balance?)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In the Bronx, every person involved in Santeria was a POC. :colbert:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
remember when witches tried to put a hex on trump instead of like donating money or actually helping in any way

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Low Desert Punk posted:

remember when witches tried to put a hex on trump instead of like donating money or actually helping in any way

It didn't work because a bunch of Christians fought back with holy prayers, perfectly balancing it and cancelling it out. Obviously.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

timp posted:

Excuse me Ms. Sanam, but fake bullshit designed to fleece people out of their money knows no race. :colbert:

(Also, if their witchy poo poo is fake, why do you have to worry about it throwing your real magic (sorry, magicks) out of balance?)
I was more tempted to touch the poop on this one than I can remember in a long time. So much wank in such a small package.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
After seeing the same things over and over again, I have decided to create a Right-Wing Dickhead Bingo (AKA - RIGHT-WINGO) template.
Surely the PYF hivemind can provide some fine examples of squares to fill in!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Apr 7, 2017

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

During the Second World War, proto-Wiccans (including Gerald Gardner, generally considered the founder of Wicca) did some kind of magic to stop the Nazis invading Britain. The Nazis only got as far as the Channel Islands, so they might have considered it a success.

(also, the Allied powers did hire Cecil Williamson to look into Nazi occult involvement, so clearly witches have their uses in specific circumstances)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

loving tankies. Ugh. This person was not joking.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's so annoying. Seriously gently caress Russia.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

After seeing the same things over and over again, I have decided to create a Right-Wing Dickhead Bingo (AKA - RIGHT-WINGO) template.

"Look it up!"
Still complaining about one, some, or all of the Obamas <-- that one would work for the political cartoon thread
Claiming to be a puppetmaster
Ironically posting as their stereotype of an SJW

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
suddenly, thousands of middle aged white women get angry and don't quite know why

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I always find the left-wing fuckwits that defend Russia hilarious in a way, because what the gently caress has the modern Russian state got to do with Communism?

Just because they oppose America doesn't make them intrinsically any better.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I always find the left-wing fuckwits that defend Russia hilarious in a way, because what the gently caress has the modern Russian state got to do with Communism?

Just because they oppose America doesn't make them intrinsically any better.

Clearly you don't understand purestrain anti-imperialism.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Picnic Princess posted:

"Look it up!"
Still complaining about one, some, or all of the Obamas <-- that one would work for the political cartoon thread
Claiming to be a puppetmaster
Ironically posting as their stereotype of an SJW

Participation trophies
Safe space/therapy dogs/Play-doh/cancelled classes
The real danger or violence we should be worried about is the Berkeley riots
Paid protestors
Protestors are lazy and jobless

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's not often that I see poo poo itt that makes me want to watch the people responsible get fed feet-first into a wood chipper but this loving thing is definitely giving me that feeling