Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Fix the poke ball shortages by making the poke ball hermit crab duplicate the ball he's in by "relocating"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Modern Pokémon games do have two save slots, it's just that one is reserved for back-up in case the primary save gets corrupted. It's been that way since gen three. With the 3DS titles I imagine that system space required for four saves (that is, two save slots and their backups) would be too much to be reasonable for the system's space. Pokémon games are still pretty chufty, after all.

It might change with any theoretical Switch titles, but I doubt it. At this point it's as much tradition as practicality.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Like Clockwork posted:

Modern Pokémon games do have two save slots, it's just that one is reserved for back-up in case the primary save gets corrupted. It's been that way since gen three. With the 3DS titles I imagine that system space required for four saves (that is, two save slots and their backups) would be too much to be reasonable for the system's space. Pokémon games are still pretty chufty, after all.

It might change with any theoretical Switch titles, but I doubt it. At this point it's as much tradition as practicality.

If anything, storage space has become ludicrously cheap since the GameBoy days. Storage space is absolutely not the problem, they just want every kid to have their own copy instead of sharing. See: The previous discussion on trade evolutions.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SpruceZeus posted:

a non-SA-account-having buddy of mine doodled some more stuff

Dunsphere is perfect and pure

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geemer posted:

If anything, storage space has become ludicrously cheap since the GameBoy days. Storage space is absolutely not the problem, they just want every kid to have their own copy instead of sharing. See: The previous discussion on trade evolutions.

Yeah that's absolutely not the problem now. If Game Freak needed a bigger cart, Nintendo would pony one up. They know what sells their handhelds.

But it probably was the issue for the first three gens.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah that's absolutely not the problem now. If Game Freak needed a bigger cart, Nintendo would pony one up. They know what sells their handhelds.

But it probably was the issue for the first three gens.

Well, the 2nd and 3rd gens were "we can't really justify making this a console-only release" but GBC/GBA carts are just way too tiny for as much poo poo as Pokemon has, so they end up cutting everything up and rearranging it Tetris-style to make it all fit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I guess I thought that Zapmander was too aggressively and openly good? JohnRomero is our surf guy now.

Off of Route 3 is one of these buildings calling itself a tent. There was also one in Legen Town, but,

This one trains attack so it's the first one I use.

You get attack EVs based on the score from trying to hit the bar in the middle. I'm bad at it, and playing at 60 FPS instead of its native 40 isn't helping.

Comet Cave.

As soon as we go in here this crazy lady butts up and runs past us.

The real use of this item is to give it to Gligar. It evolves on leveling up at night while holding this!

Anyway there's two fossils and we know there's a guy in Rochfale who can revive them.

I mean I don't blame you for forgetting, if you forgot.

Oh nooooooo! Drilgann has Rock Slide!!

Anyway Indiana (geddit (it's a dumb joke)) is not very good at Pokemon.

We get one of the two fossils. I take the one that's coated in fuzz. Ew.

She clings to the other one and memes at me.

It is no trouble at all to revive this thing!

It's an electric/rock sloth.

And it has a new ability that turns normal moves into electric moves, and boosts their power by 30%! So a max-power Return has, like, 132 power, compared to Wild Charge.

I say new, because this was done before Sun & Moon introduced Galvanize, which does the exact same thing.

It's on an Electric/Rock thing.

Coincidence... or conspiracy?

Surfing east from Route 5 is the way to East Tandor, and the 6th gym.

Almost immediately we're ambushed by ninjas.

That's what's happening.

I never joke.

Original: PU-NinjaBattle.ogg

It's a remix of the Ruby & Sapphire elite four battle music. I had a better idea.

OFSelects: Lightning Bolt - Assassins

The real joy of this LP is that it is a perfect excuse to introduce people to Lightning Bolt!

But Frynai without high-power moves aren't really threatening.

Even with a lame electric move, Gooey is still more than enough to plow through any water-types that dare to cross it.

The ninja leave... with a warning!

Fishermen and siwmmers, with way too many water-types. The random encounters are... more water-types! Brailip, Tubjaw, and Frynai.

Oh it's the move Gooey already used.

Pff, like they-

Oh they're already here.

Oh whew I was worried, Gooey only had one busted-rear end STAB move.

These ninja are only mildly harder than the first.

These four guys are named after the ninja ranks in Naruto.

I hate that I know that, I must spread the suffering.

It's like Bloodlust, but an item!

It's weird that I'm describing an official item in terms of something Uranium created.

I know these tents are run by ninja but the ninja we're fighting are a different ninja faction.

Oh no, we've been cornered by the ninja!

And their boss, Hokage, is here!

I have no idea why surfing ninja is a thing but it's just so abjectly weird I can't complain.

Hokage uses the same sprite as his followers. Lame!

Gooey spends its first turn setting up harsh sunlight. This activates its Chlorophyll ability, doubling it's speed. From there, it can thunderbolt wildly.

Gyarados is famous for its x4 electric weakness.

Tubareel is Tubjaw's evolved form. It does not grow a resistance to Thunderbolt.

Oh hey an eeveelution. Oh hey it's the one that dies to Thunderbolt.

Hokage's last Pokemon is his own Daikatuna. Daikatuna is weak to electric and has low special defense re. Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt spam can solve a lot of problems.

Just so weird.

Hokage Dick Solomon. That's all I shall ever call him. :colbert:

A second electric TM, on this route? Charge Beam is a weird gimmicky move that's kinda bad but has a pretty good chance of raising special attack a stage. It's better to stick with something that consistently works, like Thunderbolt.

That guy is a free heal, which is good when there's an ocean between here and a Pokemon center. And up the stairs is Route 13.

PU-Route 13.ogg

Another Mother 3 song.

Another Eevee thing. Espeon is a fast special attacker and- what happened to its tail!?

Route 13 has wild Tanscure.

That and the Eshouten make it surprisingly good for EXP.

It also has these fighting/fairy rabbits.

Oh heck yes, to pair with its dragon move is finally a steel move. And a 30% flinch chance is great when MEGAWEAPON is fast as piss.

I wanted a Spritzee but Rocket Man hits too hard.

I do get an Eevee of my own. As some of you have speculated, with a new type, Uranium does indeed have a new evolution.

It requires leveling it up with a nuclear-type in the party, so he himself becomes rad.

Hail to the king, baby!

Duke Nukem has his own ability that changes normal moves, but it turns them Nuclear, which is super-effective against all types but Steel and Nuclear. Normally Nuclear moves are held back by their low power. Duke Nukem is taking that 132 and making it x4 effective against a ton of the Tandor Pokedex.

And despite becoming Nuclear, he's not rad (three eyes ruin the effect of sunglasses) so he listens to orders without fail.

Despite his lackluster attack stat, Return is gonna wreck things just off of being so super effective.

But, I want to do something with that special attack stat...

:getin:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Nucleon in this game is completely busted in your favor. It still has a defensive weakness, because nuclear, but that ability is gross and illegal in how powerful it is. Welcome to the Duke Nukem Sweepstakes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

... energizate? I'm so glad gamefreak called it galvanize

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

XavierGenisi posted:

Nucleon in this game is completely busted in your favor. It still has a defensive weakness, because nuclear, but that ability is gross and illegal in how powerful it is. Welcome to the Duke Nukem Sweepstakes.

NPCs will eventually do everything with Nucleon that I do so the devs are entirely aware of how it works.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Does it get like Tribeam or Hyper voice?

That is gross as hell.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I am totally on board with an Eeveelution busting this game wide open. :smug:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

NPCs will eventually do everything with Nucleon that I do so the devs are entirely aware of how it works.

True, but it's still good to actually get bullshit that can counter or at least match their own bullshit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I will not stand this blatant insulting of Charge Beam Magnezone. :colbert:

It's not as good as it once was since Ferrothorn isn't great any more, but once upon a time... Once upon a timee...

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 7, 2017

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Okay, Saidine having a sai for a tail is nominally cute.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah yes, a 4x Effective Against Everything move complete with STAB and on a pokémon with decent enough speed (even more so with a Choice Scarf)

What is this "Balance" of which you speak?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The surfing ninjas are an obvious homage to the much-beloved 1993 classic, Surf Ninjas. You philistine.

(What'd you want to do with Spritzee, anyway? Game's difficulty curve looks pretty goddamn busted as is.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I have no idea why surfing ninja is a thing but it's just so abjectly weird I can't complain.
It's a reference to a really really bad 90's movie.

The poster tells you plenty, but what it doesn't show you is the little kid has a Game Gear that can control the future.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 7, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also those stats don't seem to follow the normal eeveelution stat distribution of 130/110/95/65/65/60 rearranged.

Edit; Yeah, they're not. Its 70/55/85/115/115/90 which is kinda nuts.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 7, 2017

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I think the badly recoloured snowboarders - I mean surf ninjas - are here solely because someone thought up the Daikatuna pun and wanted to make sure that every person who played the game this far got to see it, they were so proud of themselves.

Also that sloth has some real bad spritework, there. Just awful. That shade of yellow will never be a good choice, it has a blob for a face, and the lack of lines and lazy shading makes it seem like it has no legs, just feet sticking out of its lower torso. I honestly can't tell if the design could be saved, the sprite is just so poorly done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Fix the poke ball shortages by making the poke ball hermit crab duplicate the ball he's in by "relocating"

Give it a pokeball as a hold item and it'll switch that with the one it's currently wearing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Legit liking punch bunny.

They put all the uggo pokemon at the beginning of the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rangpur posted:

(What'd you want to do with Spritzee, anyway? Game's difficulty curve looks pretty goddamn busted as is.)

Complete pokedex, y'know. Spritzee accounts for 3 entries.

Zore posted:

Also those stats don't seem to follow the normal eeveelution stat distribution of 130/110/95/65/65/60

I'm amazed someone found it without me pointing it out first.

HP/atk/def/speed/special attack/special defense order in the editor for some reason.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Do I want to know what "Geiger Sense" does? Or how you even get HAs in Uranium?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hokage means fire shadow. Shouldn't the Water-type using surfing ninjas be led by a Mizukage?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

AlphaKretin posted:

There's either some convoluted sidequest to get a HA Ditto or whatever it is takes its place in Uranium as breeding fodder or it's just a plain random chance when you encounter it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hokage means fire shadow. Shouldn't the Water-type using surfing ninjas be led by a Mizukage?

You assume the developers even knew what the words mean, as opposed to just taking terms from their favorite animes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

"Raises the bearer's Attack and Special Attack by one stage each when a Nuclear-type is in the field" it says.

It apparently requires an ally nuclear type specifically.

It's not very good.

Oh and you get the poke radar in the post-game to look for hidden abilities. I get one thing with it to prove it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You assume the developers even knew what the words mean, as opposed to just taking terms from their favorite animes.

I mean, Mizukage is also a term used in Naruto.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

It's a reference to a really really bad 90's movie.

gently caress off, Surf Ninjas is amazing. It's easily Rob Schneider's best movie and Leslie Nielsen's 5th best movie (which is still pretty good)

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Or if only there was an actual word to describe the commander of a group of ninja. That sho would be nice, but they jumped the gun and went for hokage instead.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Complete pokedex, y'know. Spritzee accounts for 3 entries.
Wait, three--oh my god they made an Aromatisse mega didn't they

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nope, edgy alternate evolution instead of aromatisse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rangpur posted:

Wait, three--oh my god they made an Aromatisse mega didn't they

No, alternate evolution.

Megas don't add anything to the pokedex or I'd sorta get stuck on never seeing Mega Metalynx.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The real joy of this LP is that it is a perfect excuse to introduce people to Lightning Bolt!

Try linking to a video that's actually avaliable then!

To add to the Ho/Mizukage thing, the ninjas named after the ninja ranks in Naruto are named wrong, "Juunin" should be "Jonin", so the person behind that couldn't even get that right.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Try linking to a video that's actually avaliable then!

It's available in the US, and unavailability in other countries is something that's kinda hard to check for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Or if only there was an actual word to describe the commander of a group of ninja. That sho would be nice, but they jumped the gun and went for hokage instead.
that isn't what a shogun is

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zore posted:

Also those stats don't seem to follow the normal eeveelution stat distribution of 130/110/95/65/65/60 rearranged.

Edit; Yeah, they're not. Its 70/55/85/115/115/90 which is kinda nuts.

Things like this are incredibly baffling, because you can tell the Uranium devs were pretty obsessive about a lot of fanwanky patterns--as you can see in this episode, before Galvanize the assumption was that the "change normal to something else" abilities ended in -ate (Aerilate, Pixilate, Refrigerate), so of course you have to force it in there and end up with the awkward sounding Energizate and the one-too-many-syllabled Atomizate. But then they skip out on a pattern that's been established pretty thoroughly since gen2? Have some consistency!

Can't complain about Surf Ninjas, though. It's just weird enough that I'd want to see it in a mainline game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i think the reason surf ninjas is actually kind of funny or at least cute where a lot of the other jokes in this game are lame is it isn't calling attention to itself. Like with the skirt guy they had seventeen NPCs and a sign going HE WEARS A SKIRT DO YOU GET IT YET, but with the surf ninjas they're just surf ninjas. Nobody goes 'isn't it weird we're surf ninjas!?' they're just earnestly trying to be surf ninjas. So it comes across kind of goofy in a fun way instead of ridiculously forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mister Olympus posted:

But then they skip out on a pattern that's been established pretty thoroughly since gen2?

In Gen 1, they had 110 special, 60 defense, and 65 in two stats and 130 in another. The special split introduced the 95.

So it's been a thing for the entire series.

• Locked thread