Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
XCOM 1 & 2 has plenty of customization and specialized roles. And Might and Magic X is more of the same wrt Wizardry but a lot more modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Having just finished Wizardry 8, I was looking for another game where a major feature of it is making your own very customized party. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more modern and not in the vein of the grid based first person crawler like Legend of Grimrock or the older Wizardry games. I'd prefer if it was entirely based on the party with no real "Main" character and the larger the possible party and player made characters the better.

Setting doesn't really matter and real time or turn based I can take either or.

This is the game I'm always looking for but there aren't many great modern choices. Newer games always try and force some character-driven narrative in to the mix but I just want to manage a big roster, raise their stats and build them in different ways :mad:

The best I can recommend is Battle Brothers which is an incredible hex-based TBS about managing a low-fantasy medieval Germanic mercenary group, you will have soldiers permanently die and your roster will change over time unlike your core six in Wiz8, but there's a lot of customization and the game has neat tricks for getting you to care about your soldiers beyond their stats.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Does Battle Brothers have an endgame or do you just keep going until you get bored like in mount and blade

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Does Battle Brothers have an endgame or do you just keep going until you get bored like in mount and blade

You play for 10 minutes until you get bored. Mount and Blade has an endgame.

Edit: battle brothers is over rated and boring

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Turn based strategy games like Blood Bowl, X-wing (that one's a board game), and X-Com. What are some other really good Turn Based Games that are online that aren't card games?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: oops misread a post completely

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It has an endgame cataclysm meant to kill you (e.g. massive orc invasion or undead armies rising) but if you survive it you keep going indefinitely after that (and it eventually cycles through and throws the other cataclysms at you)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

To expand a bit on the above post, when one of those late game crises hits, you will have an option to decide that defeating the crisis is now your company's next goal. If you manage to do it (or just survive until it blows over) the game will go "okay that's over with, would you like to retire now?" and if you do, you get an ending screen telling what happened to the company and some of your guys after you left. So you can treat it as if you "finished" the game, or you can just keep on trucking.

So to summarize, it does have some vague narrative structure to act as a soft endgame, but no actual definite ending point.

EDIT: I should add, you can actually retire at any time and will get a different kind of end result depending on the situation you left the company at.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 7, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turtlicious posted:

I really like Turn based strategy games like Blood Bowl, X-wing (that one's a board game), and X-Com. What are some other really good Turn Based Games that are online that aren't card games?

Frozen Synapse/Frozen Cortex for online, Battle Brothers for single player.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Working my way through my 3DS backlog and it's time I tackled one of the RPGs in my backlog. What do you think I should hit?

Bravely Default
Pokemon X
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts 3D

Yeah I know they're vastly different games. Played at least a little bit of each, but enough to not want to restart other than maybe FE.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Bravely Default, almost 100%

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm looking for a recommendation of an FPS and/or RPG that will run on a slightly older computer (~2 years; newest DOOM doesn't run well at all but Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut and F3 / Fallout NV work fine).

Preferably something pretty action oriented as I tend to play these games while drinking a lot :)

I really enjoyed:
HL / HL2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and the original ofc).
Mass Effect 1
Assasain's Creed 3

Not sure what else to say, I honestly haven't played many games in years but am getting on a bit of a kick now. Also if it's cheap on Steam thats a plus too. Basically it just needs to be 2-3 years old and moderately fast-paced :)

Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 2 is awesome and runs great even on a piece of poo poo system.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
ME2, definitely.

Alpha Protocol is has clunky gameplay but a really well structured story that rewards player choice a lot.

Dishonoured has a huge amount of flexibility, and you can make it as actiony or as stealthy as you like.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME2, definitely.

Alpha Protocol is has clunky gameplay but a really well structured story that rewards player choice a lot.

Dishonoured has a huge amount of flexibility, and you can make it as actiony or as stealthy as you like.

Pretty sure I can run ME3 - which is better ME2 or ME3?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

du -hast posted:

ME2 is conventially regarded as the pinnacle of the series and one of the best video games of the decade. ME3 improves the gameplay but everything else is very uneven and its ending is one of the most controversial + hated of all time. Still they're both worth playing through and the ME3 multiplayer is surprisingly awesome and still well-populated after 5 years.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

du -hast posted:

I really enjoyed:
HL / HL2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and the original ofc).
Mass Effect 1
Assasain's Creed 3

Dishonored 1 is basically DX:HR in a dystopian Victorian/HL2-ish setting. Make sure you also get the "The Knife of Dunwall" and "The Brigmore Witches" DLC. There's also a "Deluxe" or whatever edition that includes all the DLC and sells for cheap during Steam sales.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two of the best stealth/action games ever made, and likewise are available for cheap every Steam sale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

du -hast posted:

ME3 has the best and worst bits of the series in it, and has better gameplay than 2. ME2 is pretty consistently great though, and playing through the series in order is the best way to do it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

du -hast posted:

Don't begin with Return of the King. Two Towers might be the best, but it's generally recommended that you begin the trilogy at Fellowship.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

du -hast posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation of an FPS and/or RPG that will run on a slightly older computer (~2 years; newest DOOM doesn't run well at all but Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut and F3 / Fallout NV work fine).

Preferably something pretty action oriented as I tend to play these games while drinking a lot :)

I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I'm gonna say Borderlands. Diablo-like loot-gathering action RPG in FPS form. Definitely lots of action and loaded with silly humor, I personally find them some of the most hilarious games I've ever played. BL2 is the more polished and overall better game, but the first one is cheaper and still great in its own right.

Also Bulletstorm if you don't mind paying like 50 bucks for the new Full Clip Edition.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Borderlands is a lot of fun but it really needs a friend or two playing co-op to shine. Choose the tank, drink some beers and go crazy punching stuff with a friend for a good time.

Going down the list of memorable fps games, bio shock 1 and 2 are really quite good and will run well. I'm not sure how the newest will do on an older system.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if Singularity holds up. That game was good clean fun and evokes HL2 here and there.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
e: already recommended

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Borderlands is a lot of fun but it really needs a friend or two playing co-op to shine. Choose the tank, drink some beers and go crazy punching stuff with a friend for a good time.

Going down the list of memorable fps games, bio shock 1 and 2 are really quite good and will run well. I'm not sure how the newest will do on an older system.

I've heard about Borderlands a lot - does it have singleplayer / a story?

I keep hearing it doesnt but wikipedia says it does.

ALSO thanks for all the recs! Please let me know if you have anything else in mind. You guys are awesome.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You can play solo just fine. It's structured much like an MMO or Diablo in 3d, with quest givers and new zones being unlocked as you progress. There are a number of characters with dialogue who move the plot along. It's quite basic, but pretty funny and very corny, intentionally so. The game seems pretty empty solo though and a lot of abilities are structured around playing in a group which is why I wouldn't recommend doing it alone. Not sure how populated the servers are with randos anymore.

Thinking more about gaming drunk - Saints Row 3 is great for this.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 10, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone recommend me a really laid back farming game / base building game? Like Stardew Valley, but not Stardew Valley. I wanna harvest crops, expand my little homestead, raise some lil chicken nuggets. I've been playing an awful lot of Unreal World to sate my homestead building craving, but it's not enough.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Harvest Moon, the thing that inspired SV. Dark Cloud, for a slightly more actiony piece.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

Can someone recommend me a really laid back farming game / base building game? Like Stardew Valley, but not Stardew Valley. I wanna harvest crops, expand my little homestead, raise some lil chicken nuggets. I've been playing an awful lot of Unreal World to sate my homestead building craving, but it's not enough.

Haven't played it myself but World's Dawn is similar to Harvest Moon/Stardew. Mrs Jones has been playing it and while it's not in the same league as Stardew, she seems to be enjoying it.

Also, not actually out yet, but there is some kind of alpha/demo for Orcish Inn that looks pretty cool. It's kind of half survival/half tavern and farm simulator. Again haven't played, but watched a couple of streams.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 10, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Loopoo posted:

RimWorld on peaceful fits this bill very well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Harvest Moon, the thing that inspired SV. Dark Cloud, for a slightly more actiony piece.

I played the hell out of HM. As for Dark Cloud, the effort of playing it. I'd rather stick to PC titles.

Gravy Jones posted:

Haven't played it myself but World's Dawn is similar to Harvest Moon/Stardew. Mrs Jones has been playing it and while it's not in the same league as Stardew, she seems to be enjoying it.

Also, not actually out yet, but there is some kind of alpha/demo for Orcish Inn that looks pretty cool. It's kind of half survival/half tavern and farm simulator. Again haven't played, but watched a couple of streams.

That looks neat but doesn't seem like my kind of thing. The whole "fall in love" and "make friends" aspect of SV was really boring to me.

kedo posted:

RimWorld on peaceful fits this bill very well.

Rimworld is a fab game but I've exhausted it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Loopoo posted:

Go play Factorio to base build. Try Rune Factory 3 as well, that game is brilliant. Don't know about the others in the series.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 2 is awesome and runs great even on a piece of poo poo system.

What are my options if I want to play through the ME Trilogy on PC? I don't know anything about Origin as a games client but ME is the one game series from last gen that I completely missed playing but also am legit curious to experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

What are my options if I want to play through the ME Trilogy on PC? I don't know anything about Origin as a games client but ME is the one game series from last gen that I completely missed playing but also am legit curious to experience.

Origin is perfectly fine as a game client but the first two games are also available on Steam. Only ME3 has to be purchased through Origin, although imho it does do a better job of organizing DLC than Steam. As far as I know they still have never released a complete trilogy version on PC which means you still have to buy any DLC separately! Isn't that just dumb as hell? Fortunately I will now tell you which ones are worth owning.

ME1

Bring Down the Sky - this one I think you can legally download for free just by googling it.
There's another DLC for ME1 that's so terrible nobody even remembers it.

ME2

Lair of the Shadow Broker - must-have
Kasumi - must-have
Overlord - really good but unrelated to the main story
Arrival - just kind of okay, only get if you really like ME2 + wanna see how it bridges into ME3. Otherwise just read a synopsis.

The rest are either weapon packs that don't change anything or available for free just by purchasing the game.

ME3

Citadel - must-have
From Ashes - must-have but I think this just comes with purchasing the full version of the game
Leviathan - very good, I would say must-have
Omega - completely skippable

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The first two games are on both Steam and Origin, 3 is only on Origin. I think Origin, Amazon, and Gamestop sell a trilogy bundle that spits out Origin keys.

I'd just go with the Origin versions if only because they're a lot easier to deal with when it comes to DLC. I think that version of 1 has the free DLCs baked right in and I believe Origin slightly un-fucks the trainwreck that is the ME2 DLC situation. I might be wrong on both of those tho.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Loopoo posted:

Dwarf Fortress...

I'm really hoping the success of Stardew Valley will bring more of that genre to PC. I need more Harvest Moon-alikes.

It's not quite the same but Anno might hit the same itches. Laid back, build cities, strive for new tiers of production...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Origin is perfectly fine as a game client but the first two games are also available on Steam. Only ME3 has to be purchased through Origin, although imho it does do a better job of organizing DLC than Steam. As far as I know they still have never released a complete trilogy version on PC which means you still have to buy any DLC separately! Isn't that just dumb as hell? Fortunately I will now tell you which ones are worth owning.

ME1

Bring Down the Sky - this one I think you can legally download for free just by googling it.
There's another DLC for ME1 that's so terrible nobody even remembers it.

ME2

Lair of the Shadow Broker - must-have
Kasumi - must-have
Overlord - really good but unrelated to the main story
Arrival - just kind of okay, only get if you really like ME2 + wanna see how it bridges into ME3. Otherwise just read a synopsis.

The rest are either weapon packs that don't change anything or available for free just by purchasing the game.

ME3

Citadel - must-have
From Ashes - must-have but I think this just comes with purchasing the full version of the game
Leviathan - very good, I would say must-have
Omega - completely skippable

Thanks, I'll have to write this down for when I have a week or two of zero other obligations :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tagra posted:

Dwarf Fortress...

I'm really hoping the success of Stardew Valley will bring more of that genre to PC. I need more Harvest Moon-alikes.

It's not quite the same but Anno might hit the same itches. Laid back, build cities, strive for new tiers of production...

Playing Dwarf Fortress to sorta scratch that itch. Anno is nice, but I wish it let you build sprawling farms, instead of buildings that just magically produce veggies. Banished is also a really great game, but it doesn't feel hugely fleshed out. It's just the same of build houses, build more farms, wait for kids to grow up, repeat.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Tagra posted:

Dwarf Fortress...

Re:Legend looks like it might fit the bill. Part of some kind of confusing Square-Enix indie greenlight program: http://www.play-relegend.com/ https://collective.square-enix.com/projects/346/relegend/

PC even though it looks like a console game.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 11, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Loopoo posted:

Playing Dwarf Fortress to sorta scratch that itch. Anno is nice, but I wish it let you build sprawling farms, instead of buildings that just magically produce veggies. Banished is also a really great game, but it doesn't feel hugely fleshed out. It's just the same of build houses, build more farms, wait for kids to grow up, repeat.

Your farms will sprawl in Anno as you add additions to them, at least in 2205, I don't remember how the older ones did it. But none of the Anno's have the task stuff that Stardew Valley has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lorini posted:

Your farms will sprawl in Anno as you add additions to them, at least in 2205, I don't remember how the older ones did it. But none of the Anno's have the task stuff that Stardew Valley has.

Hm, if we're gonna dig in that direction, SimCity 3000 has farms also, and they're super delicate in that the very slightest of urbanizations will transform them into industrial smokestack gardens which then transform into abandoned warehouses. Takes some TLC to get them to blossom, either by avoiding the very development SimCity is mostly played for and shooting for farms, farms farms, or by painstakingly marking each square as a historic site (cheating IMO).

Not sure about SC4 since I just haven't had the time to get into it, but with the interdependent townships I think maybe you could have a farm sector feed off a city sector and just be a farm all dang day.

Anyway, these aren't serious suggestions for farming fans.