Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

There is a proviso that says either (I don't have the books in front of me) you can't take the specializations if you already have an FR, or you don't get the FR for taking the specialization if you already have an FR. Pretty sure it's the former. Either way, there's no quick and easy path to upping FR without buying down a tree.

im p sure its the latter, where you only get a free FR by taking those two specs if you have zero current FR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Duly noted, thanks!

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The specific language for Exile, Emergent and the F&D careers is, "you gain Force Rating 1". As such there's no integer increase just different specs establishing the same starting point.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Good to know.

For starting characteristics, is it better to spread out broad with four 3s or focus and have two 4s, or mix? How spread out do you have to be before you've lost all sense of focus-- is it unreasonable to want skills spread across four stats?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

Good to know.

For starting characteristics, is it better to spread out broad with four 3s or focus and have two 4s, or mix? How spread out do you have to be before you've lost all sense of focus-- is it unreasonable to want skills spread across four stats?

I've heard that the best plan is to go big on one stat, smaller on another one, and spread among the last, focusing as much as you can on stats during chargen, cause they're the hardest to raise afterwards.

But others in the thread probably know much better than I do.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
It always depends on the build and my goal, personally. I had a duros mechanic/gunman with that rifle that lets you switch attachments on the go for an average mechanics check. I had 3 AGI and 4 INT and default everything else, since shooting and fixing stuff were my bread and butter. I ended up raising INT to 5 later since having a high INT is so good for so many skills. I never raised my AGI past 3 because not hitting stuff wasn't a problem.

My newest character is a Verpine Guardian Armorer, and I went with 3/3/3 in the first three stats, since BRA and INT are going to be useful (AGI starts there).

I'd say pick your main characteristic and get it up to 3/4, and maybe a second one at 3, and leave the rest alone. You can always course-correct later with Dedication if your game lasts long enough. If it doesn't that long, then it probably won't matter anyway.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Did you bump INT to 5 with dedications alone?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Duros start at 3 so I was at 4 before we started the game. I only had to pick up one Dedication for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Good to know.

One 4 and two 3's is the most enjoyable if you can get that. 3s make you good at the field while 4s make it pretty reliable at succeeding at it. Its nice to split them like this so you always have something to do i a scene though if you have a large group specializing more might be better.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Took the 5E DnD crew through some Edge while the GM is out of town. Was going to do something different next week but they practically demanded we play this more.

Adding a time limit of the incoming dust storm to the beginner box adventure really gave them a sense of urgency, and they only murdered some Stormtroopers and Gammoreans. And knocked out poor Vorn and stole his Droid, just like the other group I've run for.

I set them up with a 50k each bounty that they didn't know existed until they had landed on planet, after their hyperdrive and engines mysteriously blew up upon exiting hyperspace. Now I have to figure out a way for them to find out why they have bounties for murder and sedition, and get them cleared or at least go on the run.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I set them up with a 50k each bounty that they didn't know existed until they had landed on planet, after their hyperdrive and engines mysteriously blew up upon exiting hyperspace. Now I have to figure out a way for them to find out why they have bounties for murder and sedition, and get them cleared or at least go on the run.

Have the first space rear end in a top hat with a blaster take a crack at that big bounty and have them take him alive to spill the beans and/or have the bounty notice on him. Or just have them have some of their faces plastered on the holo screen in the local cantina and have them realize everyone is slowly recognizing them as they pan their heads around the room.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Took the 5E DnD crew through some Edge while the GM is out of town. Was going to do something different next week but they practically demanded we play this more.

Another group saved :toot:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh they know about the bounties but they don't know why. They did immediately accuse the bounty hunter in the party.

My initial thought is that they were just some convenient scapegoats while they were on that last smuggling mission, and the engine sabotage was supposed to kill them to cover up the loose end. Now whoever setup that sabotage has to send someone or themselves to kill the PCs. They can't risk them getting turned in for the bounty; odds are low but the Empire could take a closer look and realize it wasn't the PCs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh they know about the bounties but they don't know why. They did immediately accuse the bounty hunter in the party.

My initial thought is that they were just some convenient scapegoats while they were on that last smuggling mission, and the engine sabotage was supposed to kill them to cover up the loose end. Now whoever setup that sabotage has to send someone or themselves to kill the PCs. They can't risk them getting turned in for the bounty; odds are low but the Empire could take a closer look and realize it wasn't the PCs.

I don't know the specifics of the crime but send an ISB agent after them who is very clearly an immoral monster but gives a poo poo about their job so after the first encounter the agent starts actually looking into and figuring it out, maybe even work with them to clear their name purely because this agent wants to capture and do horrible things to the real person behind it (also they might need to work with eachother because the ISB agent has to keep this off the books cause he suspects some important imperial officer is in on the frame job etc). That gives you hooks and decisions for your PCs to make and learn whats going on at a pace the GM can drip feed to them.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 6, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill for a map pack full of locations that you could slot in. A few cantinas, some spaceports, alleyways, etc. I'd rather pay for that than print things.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Third-party stuff might be your best bet. Drive Thru RPG has some map packs.

WotC used to post stuff like that in their Star Wars articles, but the resolution on digital maps from 15 years ago might not be the best.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I still want starship stat cards done up like the adversary cards. I would buy 'em all.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am having folks make new characters tonight, but i want to give them some xp during their backstory so they can actually have a few talents, but then they're going through the "Beginner" game, so I don't want to dump 90xp on them, I was thinking 30/45? Thoughts?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I am having folks make new characters tonight, but i want to give them some xp during their backstory so they can actually have a few talents, but then they're going through the "Beginner" game, so I don't want to dump 90xp on them, I was thinking 30/45? Thoughts?

I feel like 25 is a good number to give them a couple extra little bennies without overbaking the cake, but go with what works for you. However many their are I'd make it clear that these have to be spent as acquired rather than starting XP. I haven't been running this for super long tho.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah it's certainly going to be XP after creation,so it can't go to characteristics.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oggdude's generator doesnt have content from the bounty hunter splatbook, that's annoying, this thing is usually bulletproof.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Elendil004 posted:

Oggdude's generator doesnt have content from the bounty hunter splatbook, that's annoying, this thing is usually bulletproof.

It definitely does - you might want to see about updating your version.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

edit: good call!

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 7, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've decided to write up a short, simple, not too intensive set of guidelines of playing during the Legacy era. It's mostly player facing.

It features:
  • A short description of the Era and its main factions
  • Rules for making a competent Force User at Chargen without breaking balance
  • Rules for Jedi Knight level play
  • Rules for Imperial Knight Armor
  • Stats for Yuuzhan Vong as a player species
  • Rules for Yuuzhan Vong tech
  • Rules for a new type of Obligation called "Legacy" which focuses on reinforcing the themes of the era

The primer can be found here.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does anyone know of a good resource for vehicle plan views that would work as tokens to show direction and orientation in roll20?

There's some good ones on this site, but it's missing some pretty basic staples like Rebel starfighters.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Colonial Chrome has starfighters, freighters, and capital ships with interiors.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's great! Thanks!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wrote up the general outline for my PCs to get their name cleared. This will be way more On The Fly then I'm used to but I need to get better at it, so into the flames we go. I think I only wrote down two checks to be made, I'll just have to make up the rest at the time.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm trying something similar with my group. The last game we played was a railroad through the GM's Dead Space / Mass Effect crossover fanfiction until he got bored, so we're trying an experiment where between sessions I'll generate a random quest with an objective and a few NPC's, then flavor it to make it a sensible followup to the events of the previous sessions. It's a good change of pace so far.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Robot Style posted:

I'm trying something similar with my group. The last game we played was a railroad through the GM's Dead Space / Mass Effect crossover fanfiction until he got bored, so we're trying an experiment where between sessions I'll generate a random quest with an objective and a few NPC's, then flavor it to make it a sensible followup to the events of the previous sessions. It's a good change of pace so far.

I gave up trying to write multi-arc stories and it's made my life as a GM so much easier. We've also got a good group where everyone has GMed and we've got a schedule that people fill out for when they want to GM that prevents any one GM from burning out, which is great. Since we started doing that, nobody's GMed for more than 2 weeks in a row.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

echopapa posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

echopapa posted:

Holy mackerel

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Colonial Chrome can be kind of idiosyncratic. He changes the model numbers on a bunch of Corellian ships and changed the entire shape of the Starlight freighter. But it’s still the best deckplan resource.

Robot Style posted:

You can get great material for this type of mission by picking up books for Traveller. I recommend 760 Patrons Revised, Campaign Guide, Starport Encounters, and Adventure Seeds.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Discounting the twenty minute rides between planets that Abrams likes, what's the general speed of lightspeed in this game? Halfway across the Galaxy takes a day, ten hours, a week?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Discounting the twenty minute rides between planets that Abrams likes, what's the general speed of lightspeed in this game? Halfway across the Galaxy takes a day, ten hours, a week?

It takes a normal class 2 hyperdrive around 10 days to cross the known galaxy, give or take.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Good to know. Currently have four PCs flying around in a G-1A, which has room for two people to live uncomfortably. Next week will have a couple extra PCs before we finish up. If we continue after this mini session, a new ship will have to be in the cards. Or they can just keep squeezing in.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Call the ship the "ISS Clown Car".

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Give them a wayfarer, the g-1a can fit in the front, or they can have to acquire a transport/hanger module which is an adventure in itself.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'm running an Age of Rebellion campaign primarily around information gathering, building cells and disrupting the Empire in a single sector. I'm finding that stealing from 4th Ed D&D's Skill Challenges to do vignettes of their info gathering and long-term stuff is working really well but still playing around with the dice mechanics on it.

I want to have something in which essentially the bigger the target, the harder the difficulty - so scouting and infiltrating an ISB HQ is a lot tougher than Mundo Cleaning corp. At the moment in my head i'll just represent it with the equivalent of Adversary dice but i'm wondering if there should be a way for the players to take more time/be more careful that lowers that difficulty at the cost of something else. Or I could just be overthinking it and keep winging it in sessions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An advantage die for a careful deliberate plan and a disadvantage die for going in half-cocked?

With of course the proviso that half baked plan Bs that somehow work is peak starwar so on a "failure" gove them a thrilling set piece chase or battle because it didn't go smooth bjt they can still pull it off with some daring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Drone posted:

It takes a normal class 2 hyperdrive around 10 days to cross the known galaxy, give or take.

That's not what's shown in the book. P247 of Edge of the Empire shows one to three weeks to cross the galaxy in a Class 1 Hyperdrive and you multiply the time by the class of the Hyperdrive: Class 2 is x2; Class 3 is x3, etc. Class 1 hyperdrives are not installed in most regular old ships, meaning that the average time to cross the galaxy from end to end is somewhere between 14 and 42 days depending on which lanes you travel.

Ignoring the Astrogation check, which could speed things up.