Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I like your list, wanna come over and watch movies? :3:

I'll join! I've never seen the Iron Giant. haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah like two of those are recent. This is reaching back maaaany years.

No, I mean it's hard to say my absolute favorites because there's a lot of animated movies I haven't seen for quite a while.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Macaluso posted:

What the gently caress

Ooh touchy subject :ohdear:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Goofy Movie is good but like top 30-40 good, not top 10 good

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Megamind
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Zootopia
How to Train Your Dragon
Road to El Dorado
Emperor's New Groove
Prince of Egypt

Not in any particular order I guess?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I should swap something on my list out for Hunchback because I have a really soft spot for that movie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll join! I've never seen the Iron Giant. haha

The Iron Giant is goddamn incredible and everyone should watch it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, the alternative, right now, is to either talk about TV shows (as we have been doing) or to talk about Boss Baby, as if anyone in here is going to go see Boss Baby.

There's only one way for this thread to die:

dance party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS1axkjL0V0

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Guy Mann posted:

There's only one way for this thread to die:

dance party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS1axkjL0V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIofYrt0kE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I should swap something on my list out for Hunchback because I have a really soft spot for that movie.

I love Hunchback and Zootopia, they'd be in my top 20 (as would Iron Giant), but top 10 is a hard fuckin cut.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm a little torn here because Watership Down is my absolute number 1. I was watching it from before I can remember and it technically has the same rating as Inside Out. Otherwise, in no order:

The Illusionist
When Marnie Was There
Up
Aladdin
The Secret of NIMH
Coraline
How to Train Your Dragon
Sleeping Beauty
Ratatouille
Spirited Away

Also wanna mention how much I adore The Snowman even though it's a half hour. :allears: There are a few I really need to rewatch, Prince of Egypt being the main one.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
according to my criticker:

fantastic mr. fox
zooopia
toy story 2
toy story
rango
spirited away
wall-e
lion king
monsters, inc.
who framed roger rabbit (does this count? if not, up goes here instead)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

When Marnie Was There

What's up, fellow WMWT lover.

I seriously adore that film. Would also be in my top 20.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

What's up, fellow WMWT lover.

I seriously adore that film. Would also be in my top 20.

:):hf::)
It's one of the most mundane films out of Ghibli (no fantastic creatures, settings, flying sequences) but it's just so drat memorizing. It's just quiet and contemplative and wonderful.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This thread has great taste in movies :glomp:

CRINDY posted:

according to my criticker:

fantastic mr. fox
zooopia
toy story 2
toy story
rango
spirited away
wall-e
lion king
monsters, inc.
who framed roger rabbit (does this count? if not, up goes here instead)

Oh poo poo, I forgot Fantastic Mr Fox! That would definitely be high on my list, not sure what I could bump out of top 10 so I'd say it's in my top 15.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

:):hf::)
It's one of the most mundane films out of Ghibli (no fantastic creatures, settings, flying sequences) but it's just so drat memorizing. It's just quiet and contemplative and wonderful.

It's incredibly, deeply human. And it's a flawed protagonist done well.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Rango
Zootopia
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Lilo & Stitch
Mulan
Spirited Away
The King and the Mockingbird
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Up

Just off the top of my head. It's kinda recent and Disney/Pixar-heavy, though. I don't actually like The King and the Mocking THAT much, but it's got really nice animation, and I like the story behind getting it made. Princess Mononoke was way more violent than I remembered, so I put Spirited Away instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you know one of the Woody Woodpecker films was called "Billion Dollar Boner"? I do!

The Big Snit
The Pagemaster
Cat Soup
Lord of the Rings
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Last Unicorn
Woody Woodpecker Collection
Fantasia
Transformers the Animated Movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Did you know one of the Woody Woodpecker films was called "Billion Dollar Boner"? I do!

The Big Snit
The Pagemaster
Cat Soup
Lord of the Rings
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Last Unicorn
Woody Woodpecker Collection
Fantasia
Transformers the Animated Movie

yyyyyeahh, nice try, joe johnso---woah.

woah.

I was going to make a sweet-rear end "director of The Pagemaster" dig, but it turns out he directed the first Captain America film, which I think is a great movie (for the genre). And loving October Sky. Man, now I only wish I were the director of The Pagemaster.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh man, and The Rocketeer and everyone's bizarre guilty-pleasure favorite, Jumanji. Dang. And he did FX work on Star Wars, and was art director on Return of the Jedi.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Princess Mononoke was way more violent than I remembered, so I put Spirited Away instead.

Yeah, anyone putting Princess Mononoke on a list of family friendly movies should probably watch it again. I personally agree with Spirited Away, but I should mention it scared my nephew shitless - not in an 'I actually enjoy this' manner - she was terrified. And (quite literally) gave another nightmares about his parents turning into pigs.

And I didn't even let them watch the faceless scenes. I would probably have been banished from the household if I did. A couple years later they handled it fine though. So the moral is: perhaps wait until their age is in the double digits.

Edit: Some small, destructive, part of me wanted to show them Pom Poko, just to see how their parents would react to the abundance of testicle jokes. It's genuinely good. And any movie with a line like (paraphrased) "That mat you're standing on, my children? It's my balls." Deserves to be watched at least once.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 7, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, I was trying to weed out non-explicitly-didactic entertainment more than anything, where the expectation of an explicit lesson to critique and analyze goes hand-in-hand with "family friendly" entertainment for interesting cultural reasons.

Like, most Disney films, such as Zootopia, are expected to have a lesson and absolutely stand to be judged on it in a way most films are not. The lack of theme was a major point of critique for HTTYD2, but no one gives a poo poo if The Avengers 6: Blah Blah Space Badguy has a coherent theme. At least no one involved in the production apparently.

Hmm... I'm not quite explaining this right. I was trying to separate out films that are sort of artsy-fartsy, not because I object to artsy or fartsy, but because I think they lack some of the core dimensions that make them comparable to the majority of animated films.

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Pagemaster, along with the Goonies, was one of those movies I had never seen as a child but inexplicably had the activity books/colouring books, so I knew all these characters and details but had no plot or context to really understand what the deal was

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

The Pagemaster, along with the Goonies, was one of those movies I had never seen as a child but inexplicably had the activity books/colouring books, so I knew all these characters and details but had no plot or context to really understand what the deal was

Watching The Pagemaster won't fix this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Oh man, and The Rocketeer and everyone's bizarre guilty-pleasure favorite, Jumanji. Dang. And he did FX work on Star Wars, and was art director on Return of the Jedi.

Welcome to what I've known since the moment I first watched the illegal Spanish dub of the Pagemaster that I owned as a kid.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok I'll solve the Whoopi Goldberg book's maze, but will it help illuminate her character motivations in any way??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Welcome to what I've known since the moment I first watched the illegal Spanish dub of the Pagemaster that I owned as a kid.

Let me just say, you're the only English-speaking person who ever rented "Maestro de Página" and wasn't disappointed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

(No seriously I like this little community we have and I trust all y'all's opinion on animation more than just about anyone else so I want to chat about all animated things here if that's ok :kiddo:)

Well it's turned into a creepy hugbox, so that's bad.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nowhere NEAR enough Coraline love here.

Maybe (not in order):

Coraline
Beauty and the Beast
Whisper of the Heart
Castle of Cagliostro
Toy Story
Aladdin
Wreck-It Ralph
Kiki's Delivery Service
Robin Hood
Spirited Away

Also I hated When Marnie Was There. A massive disappointment. If I never hear someone shout MARNIE!!! again it'll be too soon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it's turned into a creepy hugbox, so that's bad.

Am I the creepy bit or the hugbox bit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It's Macaulay Culkin's best role!

Pick posted:

Let me just say, you're the only English-speaking person who ever rented "Maestro de Página" and wasn't disappointed.

Rent? No, no my parents bought me that.

I'd write a long defense of it as a strangely adult take on the self being a concoction purely of the stories you allow yourself to participate in and that your personality will and can change if you force it to, with your ultimate goal to be a story other people are interested in but lets be totally real, it was the only animated film I had before learning English so it goes on the top 10, eat me objective criticisms.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

It's Macaulay Culkin's best role!

All his best roles were being a scared kid who end up being brave and resourceful at the end

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I will always have a soft spot for the Pagemaster because my folks let me skip class in second grade so I could watch it with my best friend, who's parents let her skip class so she could watch it with me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I'd write a long defense of it as a strangely adult take on the self being a concoction purely of the stories you allow yourself to participate in and that your personality will and can change if you force it to, with your ultimate goal to be a story other people are interested in but lets be totally real, it was the only animated film I had before learning English so it goes on the top 10, eat me objective criticisms.

Actually I sort of like The Pagemaster and own it on DVD. I'm trying to remember if it was Pagemaster or the Black Hole though where I was trying to explain my ownership of said DVD as "it was only four dollars" and his retort was "would you buy AIDS if it were only $4?"

I think it was The Black Hole.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The correct solution to no good animated films being in cinema right now is checking out whether anyone close to you is doing an interesting retrospective. If you live in or nearby a large city, there's a good chance something decent is showing right now. For instance, one of the local theatres is presenting Nausicaä tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited to see it on a big screen.

Build-a-Boar posted:

I would do a top 10 list but I saw Wizards for the first time the other day and it blew my mind with its terrible, awful weirdness. I can't stop thinking about it. What the hell was it all about? Why did the wizard shoot the other wizard with a luger, why nazis, why elves, what the hell happened

I was initially lukewarm on Wizards, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. That finale is just so drat perfect.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Samuel Clemens posted:

The correct solution to no good animated films being in cinema right now is checking out whether anyone close to you is doing an interesting retrospective. If you live in or nearby a large city, there's a good chance something decent is showing right now. For instance, one of the local theatres is presenting Nausicaä tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited to see it on a big screen.

There's a film archive cinema in my town that does old animated movies weekly all year, but it's always Thursday daytimes for fucks sake. I work! :(

(I did see Fifth Element there in 35mm though, that was pretty special)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was initially lukewarm on Wizards, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. That finale is just so drat perfect.

If there was ever an example of a climax elevating the whole story, it's that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hedrigall posted:

There's a film archive cinema in my town that does old animated movies weekly all year, but it's always Thursday daytimes for fucks sake. I work! :(

Work?!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

we can only pick 10 movies? God drat that's hard but let's see if I can narrow this down

Aladdin
Shrek
Robin Hood
The Secret of NIMH
The Land Before Time
Atlantis
Kung Fu Panda
Chicken Run
The Incredibles
Sleeping Beauty

gently caress that was hard, I probably have like a whole 10 others I could put up there :smith:

oh hell here's another 10

101 Dalmatians
The Fox and the Hound
The Prince of Egypt
The Swan Princess
An American Tail
Dumbo
A Goofy Movie
Lady and the Tramp
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story

Any of these movies are interchangeable for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God drat it, the Walrus and the Carpenter is in my head now.

And honestly, I don't like Wizards save for it's Finale - I just don't like Bakshi's works, I respect him as an influence on animation, but there's just something about it that I just don't like.