Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No love for nuclear ballistic missile submarine Terrible :france:? Also, I love the fact that Royal Navy and MN both have SSBNs named Vigilant in active service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

The British have solved warship naming. This is known.

Bummer about the everything else about their navy

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TTerrible posted:

HMS Warspite checking in.

More like WD40spite. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sperglord Actual posted:

More like WD40spite. :v:

Don't mock the Warspite. She was the toughest battleship ever built. Survived having her steering gear going haywire at Jutland and being a target for most of the German fleet, then torpedoes, mines, and a goddamned cruise missile. Put her in a task force with Enterprise and you have God's Own Cheat Mode.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Enterprise will have to wait until after the Russian fantasy BBs are added.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

TheFluff posted:

I'm a disgusting capital-dweller, so Luleå, Bodø and Rovaniemi are a bit of a trip (by European standards) :(

Where I'm sitting on my rear end in Stockholm, I'm closer to Berlin than to Bodø and it's definitely easier and cheaper to get to Berlin. Luleå is only slightly closer, but at least it has both overnight trains and regular flights from here.

Still, that is cool and good and I bet a bunch of nerds more dedicated than I will take lots of photos.

when I was a babby, I lived with an exceptionally good view of the runway in Bodø:

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

A Handed Missus posted:

when I was a babby, I lived with an exceptionally good view of the runway in Bodø:

HOW IS YOUR HEARING!?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Murgos posted:

Something can be marked classified, noforn and itar all at once.

Noforn is a further restriction on classified. Classified already implies that most foreign personnel can't see it. Norforn means even cleared foreign personnel can't see it.

I would be very surprised if there were any weapons or systems that were classified and especially noforn that were not also ITAR. It wouldn't make sense.

There can be foreign nationals that can be cleared to see classified ITAR material depending on their contract and clearance.

I'm guessing that whatever doc you are looking at that is marked noforn is also marked ITAR but you are just glazing over because it is such a common marking and only needs to be marked on the cover (I think).

It's not, but I'm done discussing it. It can't go any further.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Godholio posted:

Yeah, I suspect it just may not be considered best practices to post classified on the SA forums.

My generic advice for satisfying your own curiosity via proper channels is to pull up the underlying classification manuals (hopefully) referred to on the classification block on the front cover of whatever document you're thinking of. See what that says about releasability, and your friendly neighborhood security officer can probably answer any followup questions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tom Clancy's 2017:
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/850094186321895424

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

This has been my experience as well and it actually created quite a bit of work of stuff in one case so to find out that the DoD 5000 say it shouldnt be marked that way is frustrating...its plain as day though and doesnt meet either of the exceptions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gervasius posted:

No love for nuclear ballistic missile submarine Terrible :france:? Also, I love the fact that Royal Navy and MN both have SSBNs named Vigilant in active service.

Revolutionary era names were the best. Ça Ira, Droits de l'Homme.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What was the movie that started with Russia and America fighting in the Middle East that ended up in a nuclear holocaust and it caused Reagan to figure out that nukes were really bad? Can we play that on Fox News this weekend please?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jaegerx posted:

What was the movie that started with Russia and America fighting in the Middle East that ended up in a nuclear holocaust and it caused Reagan to figure out that nukes were really bad? Can we play that on Fox News this weekend please?

The hopefully conventional cruise missiles are already flying at hopefully non russian targets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Fake... news?

lmao, let's hope this doesn't get too weird
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/850154210469572608

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Fake... news?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636

Claims the target was a Syrian gov airfield. Wonder how many Russians end up getting killed

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Fake... news?

Lol gently caress. Nice knowing ya, Goons!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Over / under on us killing more civilians than the gas attack?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Guess I'd better find the facebook account of that girl from high school who said she'd only bang me if WW3 was about to happen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/375609403376144384

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alaan posted:

Ninety-three

mlmp08 posted:

My hot take prediction: We hit some poo poo at some base, Russians either weren't there to begin with or weren't targeted or were tipped off to gtfo, administration proclaims victory and mentions how weak the past administration was, Assad likely tells his commanders not to launch a chem strike the next day, because a next-day "gently caress you, USA" isn't worth it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
e: nvm

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

That Works posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636

Claims the target was a Syrian gov airfield. Wonder how many Russians end up getting killed

I thought the Russians were more concentrated near Tartus and Aleppo, hence the strike not occurring at the main battlefield. But, it's still insanely risky for the little good that will come of it.

I half wonder if the Russians will give Syrians targeting data for shore-based anti-ship batteries. IIRC, Syria has some Bastion cruise missiles.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We had a good run

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You guys are such pessimists.

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/850160754527436801

Warfare in twitter age is weird, though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alaan posted:

Zero, if they hit the base they claim to have fired them at. It's a military airstrip, so unless civilians are camping out in the hangars, bunkers, and tarmac it's a pretty safe target.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ap/status/850163020638584832

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

Zero, if they hit the base they claim to have fired them at. It's a military airstrip, so unless civilians are camping out in the hangars, bunkers, and tarmac it's a pretty safe target.

Again, this is not how over/under bets work.

edit: some video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pwz-zNsGTc

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 7, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They'll leave a few busted MiG-21s on the ground and pull a Port Stanley on the airbase to make it look like we absolutely loving decimated it so Spicer and Trump can hold up a degraded satellite shot making it look like Satan himself took a giant poo poo all over the airbase, and it'll be operational again within 48 hours.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If Russia's flying from that base wouldn't that mean there's a fair chance we blew up a couple of fulcrums and what-not?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
We launched more Tomahawks against AQ(and/or Islamic Big Pharma) in Afghanistan and Sudan in 1998. Yes, this moron is criminally incompetent and corrupt, but until there's more happening this isn't WW3.

edit:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They'll leave a few busted MiG-21s on the ground and pull a Port Stanley on the airbase to make it look like we absolutely loving decimated it so Spicer and Trump can hold up a degraded satellite shot making it look like Satan himself took a giant poo poo all over the airbase, and it'll be operational again within 48 hours.

Yeah, "war theater" is a good way to describe it thus far.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Until tomahawks are hitting the units that launched the sarin-attacks, it's all just messaging and posture. Messages delivered with bombs and twitter.

What a time to be alive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fire one directly into Assad's rear end-head

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Until tomahawks are hitting the units that launched the sarin-attacks, it's all just messaging and posture. Messages delivered with bombs and twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrX9rZl-j4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Every single time I see a West Wing clip I'm just so glad I never watched it.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
It's probably just as good a show for North Korea at the same time as we show off to the Chinese in a misguided sort of way.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
McMaster is being quoted as saying that the strike doesn't actually diminish Assad's chemical capability. Along with the reports that Russian forces were warned, it's hard to see this as being anything more than performative.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

McMaster is being quoted as saying that the strike doesn't actually diminish Assad's chemical capability. Along with the reports that Russian forces were warned, it's hard to see this as being anything more than performative.

I'm imagining the Syrian Chemical Weapons Team (or whatever) seeing every single Russian leaving the airbase all of a sudden and then deciding they should stay to get bombed by Americans.

Unfortunate for Melania that she's with Trump tonight since he might actually have an erection from this.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

That's a pretty expensive performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Veritek83 posted:

Raytheon's happy.