Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Updating this for the turn, see :siren:sirens:siren:

:siren:IMPORTANT CAVEAT - This only includes units or evidence that has been spotted. I make no guarantees that there aren't additional unspotted enemy units on the battlefield.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

:siren:NO KNOWN CAVALRY ON FIELD

:siren:
Known active Infantry Brigades: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th
Possible Infantry Brigades: 6th, 8th

2nd Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known in M2 ford trenches at 2-43
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Kills Istvun
Brigade HQ retreats during Mon Pere charge
Kills Mon Pere
Last spotted 3 MGs & 1 TM in M2 ford trenches, ~3 Infantry chits somewhere in rear with Brigade HQ during evening/night of Day 2
Assisted routing mllaneza
Potentially received reinforcement chits at Day 3

4th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known somewhere in Effyaders Forest as of 2-42
First spotted approaching on M1 road on Day 2
Gained 5 infantry and 1 MG from 1st Infantry Brigade - 125% strength
Assisted routing mllaneza
Last spotted along eastern edge of Effyaders Forest as of 2-42

5th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known somewhere in Effyaders Forest as of 2-43
First spotted just west of M2 trench line during Day 2 night
Lost ~3 infantry chits during 21st Bde attack, number of chits retreat while suppressed
Routed mllaneza
Potentially received reinforcement chits at Day 3

6th Infantry Brigade??? - ALIVE, last known northeast of 23rd Brigade (Mon Pere) 3-02
First spotted approaching western edge of Effyaders Forest during Day 2 night with advance scouts
Unclear whether same unit as 5th Infantry - does not appear to have battle damage from fight with mllaneza

:siren:7th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known on sunken road south of Stethoscope 3-21
First spotted heading south on sunken road during Day 3 morning
Lost 5 infantry and 1 MG, Brigade HQ forced to retreat suppressed on 3-20
Kills Effigies

:siren:8th Infantry Brigade??? - ALIVE, last known in southeastern tip of Effyaders Forest 3-23
First spotted morning of Day 3 entering trenches at southeastern tip of Effyaders Forest
~10 infantry chits spotted, 2 killed by artillery...no MG fire noted during exchange
Possible IDs: 5th Inf Brigade?

:siren:'Taillis Nord Brigade' - ALIVE, last known east of Taillis Nord 3-23
First spotted 3-23, appears to be heading east
Spotted: 4 infantry, 1 mg, 2 TMs, Brigade HQ
Approximately 60 inches from M2 ford (7.5 turns of movement)
Possible IDs: 2nd, 4th, or 5th Inf Brigade after damage from overnight bombardment???

:siren:'Lone Chit', last known on M1 road due north of Firme Inutille 3-23
First spotted on 3-23 overview map, no further info

:siren:UNASSOCIATED EVIDENCE
New trenches spotted on west side of M1 ford on morning of Day 3 (3-19)
Big enough for ~18 infantry chits and ~2 TMs in rear
Possibly associated with 4th or 5th Inf Brigade???

:siren:1st Artillery - ALIVE, suspected northwest of Stethoscope
First spotted firing from Ferme Inutille on Day 2
Still located at Ferme Inutille in afternoon of Day 2
Includes 10cm howitzers
One artillery chit spotted at 2-35 to the north of Ferme Inutille...may be heading to road for relocation
Potentially in zigzag trenches through Ferme Inutille spotted morning of Day 3

:siren:2nd Artillery - ALIVE, last known west of Stethoscope 3-23
First spotted by scout plane between Stethoscope and Tallis Douche in afternoon of Day 2
Only includes 7.7cm FKs
Still located in trench line between Stethoscope and Taillis Douche on morning of Day 2 (3-20)

:siren:'Heavy Cart'
Heard towards end of Day 2/3 night around Ferme Chatte moving west
Suspected to be super-heavy artillery, no further information

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in south on 2-35, likely built southern bridge cross. Whereabouts unknown.

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in rear around M1/M2 fords...may be setting up bridge in north. Whereabouts unknown.

:rip:THE DEAD:rip:

1st Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Routed by SixKiller and XtheTenth

2nd Cavalry Brigade - UNKNOWN ROUTED, merged with 5th Cavalry Brigade
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Retreats with heavy damage after attack by XtheTenth
Spotted crossing M5 center ford toward Effyaders Forest on Day 2
Possibly 2nd Cavalry Brigade with overnight cavalry chit reinforcements - missing full MG complement
Retreats suppressed after attempting to charge Mon Pere
Routed by indirect artillery fire at M2 ford

3rd Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted approaching Stethoscope on Day 1
Kills XtheTenth
Suspected to have stayed in Bois de Blob overnight
Routed by mllaneza and Effigies in Bois de Blob

4th Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted heading north from M7 fords towards center defenses on Day 2
Routed by mllaneza and Mon Pere

1st Infantry Brigade - KILLED
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Brigade HQ killed by Istvun...remaining MG and infantry retreat across M2 ford and join up with 4th Infantry Brigade

3rd Infantry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted crossing southern Bridge on Day 2
Routed by Effigies and indirect artillery

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Now that we've definitely lost sight of exposed boche brigades, we should probably cut back on indirect fire missions for the near future. By my rough estimate, curly has 10 rounds left, and lenoon has ~6.

quote:

Your last division, the 9th, arrives from Turn 40, or Turn 32 if you wish to spend a fatigue point. Three brigades, one 18-pounder artillery brigade, no engineers. Speaking of which, by the way, that northern bridge has now been wired for demolition.

Soft deadline: Friday 8th April, 5pm. This is one day less than last time; don't get caught out.

We're getting another division of reinforcements, the boche are probably getting one of their own. Ho hum.

Our lines are rather spread out right now , they could do with some filling out, but I don't think quicker reinforcements are necessary.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

At the moment I think we play it cautious and see what they do next.

For discussion:

We consolidate west of the forest, and put a hold on indirect fire.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 6, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

For discussion:

Do we need to give up the fords? At the very least I think we can keep holding them while trenches get dug just inside the vallee, and I don't like losing them since we'll never be able to get them back.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Loel posted:

For discussion:

At the very least we should pull out of the two mini trenches facing the central fords, it's pretty obvious the Germans plan to flank them from Effyaders.

Alternate option - set up line along the western edge of Blob, that would at least give us a bit more buffer from Germans entering the valley (one of our defensive objectives):

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

While Im thinking of it ...

General Directive

North remain where you are
South, fall back into a stronger defensive line

Working on the details of where the south is going in chat.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think a better defensive line would be the northern and eastern edges of Bois de Blob. The J trench in particular savaged them, and giving it up for free doesn't make sense. If we've got men across the northern edge of Bois de Blob, then with support from our artillery I can't see anyone getting to it from Effyaders without bad things happening to them.

Even though we lost the 20th, I think the amount of effort it's going to force them to put in to reinforcing their front is going to make the loss worthwhile. Combined with our mad general's glorious shenanigans, they must be paranoid as all gently caress by now.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hmmmm. Two things spring to mind:

1. I should have limbered up and moved but I have got complacent in my trenches

2. What the hell was that waste of a brigade

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

Hmmmm. Two things spring to mind:

1. I should have limbered up and moved but I have got complacent in my trenches

I think you're alright. You're still entrenched, and the Germans have lost a bunch of arty pieces so I don't think counter-battery is a big deal right now.

lenoon posted:

2. What the hell was that waste of a brigade

:iiam:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It was an unfortunate but necessary sacrifice on the altar of comedy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It was a gamble. The potential payoff was worth the risk.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Slim are your guns all set up for counterbattery this turn? (Thanks got the reassurance) We'd have to work out where they are, but hopefully we can finish what we (hopefully) managed last update. I think it might be time to really worry about the howitzers. Unless I killed them all.

If you can get range on them, I really want to move out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Moving west does not magically make our guys stronger. Keep the entrenched brigade supported by artillery where it is now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Wait, how the hell did that artillery start firing supportive fire so soon? It's more than 16 inches away, and turn 2 of contact is 2 turns too soon by my count.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Moving west does not magically make our guys stronger. Keep the entrenched brigade supported by artillery where it is now.

I'm just a little concerned that now they almost certainly have worked out where I am that I'm going to have some very pissed off howitzers wanting revenge for their hopefully many slain buddies. And once I'm gone, we have no artillery that can quickly reposition to hit anywhere to the south.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

Slim are your guns all set up for counterbattery this turn? (Thanks got the reassurance) We'd have to work out where they are, but hopefully we can finish what we (hopefully) managed last update. I think it might be time to really worry about the howitzers. Unless I killed them all.

If you can get range on them, I really want to move out.

I don't have any guns (yet)!

I think that you at least got a few German guns. I don't think they know where you are right now, so unless they're keen to waste some ammunition bombarding trenches at random, you should be safe.

By my reckoning, you have about 6 rounds of direct fire left, but you're in a useful spot. I think you ought to make some specific supporting fire rules, to limit waste. For example, random boche infantry in trenches are not really a priority target.

my dad posted:

True, Sullat's brigade survived the entire night under 7.7cm bombardment. His position is vulnerable though, it's not oriented to face a threat from Effyaders Wood. I propose this monstrousity of an order.

I still don't really understand what the movements rules are in these tight quarters, but there's plenty of space for that sullat's chits to shuffle around without actually changing position. Also, sullat's Brigade HQ gets pulled back somewhere safer than right on the front lines.

AbortRetryFail posted:

It was an unfortunate but necessary sacrifice on the altar of comedy.

So goes the BEF, died for laughs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

I'm just a little concerned that now they almost certainly have worked out where I am that I'm going to have some very pissed off howitzers wanting revenge for their hopefully many slain buddies. And once I'm gone, we have no artillery that can quickly reposition to hit anywhere to the south.

I mean, there's only a few places the boche guns could even possibly be if they were capable of counter batterying you. We could pre-emptively bombard them, if you're so worried (At the cost of precious, precious, indirect fire rounds).

The stethoscope gun park is out of range right now.

Lenoon, 7.7cm guns are pretty ineffective against entrenched chits. We ought to have murdered most of the German howitzers too. I say you sit tight, and only respond if you need to.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I mean, there's only a few places the boche guns could even possibly be if they were capable of counter batterying you. We could pre-emptively bombard them, if you're so worried (At the cost of precious, precious, indirect fire rounds).

Rounds are getting precious, but I think I have LOS on some chits now so it's not like if I ran out I'd have to do nothing.

On that note i will trade loosing off all of my remaining indirect rounds into that circle for a :toxx: because I am that confident they are there.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Orders for 7th Division

Division HQ: No orders.

Artillery: If you have 80%+ chance to hit, keep firing counter-battery. Else, switch to supporting fire. I'm keeping these orders extremely short to avoid breathing down your neck.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think the gamble here is going to be who hits who first. As their spotter plane was essentially hovering over me, they know where I am. If they can get some guns on me at the start of the update then that could be trouble. If they do something else and SJP is right on where they are, then they are hosed. I am feeling pretty confident right now about getting them though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

I think the gamble here is going to be who hits who first. As their spotter plane was essentially hovering over me, they know where I am. If they can get some guns on me at the start of the update then that could be trouble. If they do something else and SJP is right on where they are, then they are hosed. I am feeling pretty confident right now about getting them though.

You're the one in trenches, while they are most likely having to dig their own. I think you're going to be okay.

I'm more worried about a German infantry attack then a limited counter-battery.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Engineers update; see attached map with up-to-date erections (but no Germans, you know where they are)

North horse engineer finishes the second gun-pit T24, south horse just started the to-be-entrenched wire, the two infantry engineers who aren't fiddling with a bridge just finished their own wiring jobs and are about to move on.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Division

23rd, 24th: Hold.

25th: withdraw your men from the II-shaped trenches northeast of Bois de Blob and redeploy in such a way as to withstand an assault from the north, without sacrificing your coverage of the southern fords. Your call on whether to pull back from the J trench.

Artillery: Direct fire on anyone emerging from Foret de Effyaders or crossing the central bridge is your first priority. Assisting the brigades to your north and your east repulsing any assaults that come their way is your second. Beyond that, use your judgement to apply indirect fire for maximum effect.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Engineers update; see attached map with up-to-date erections (but no Germans, you know where they are)

North horse engineer finishes the second gun-pit T24, south horse just started the to-be-entrenched wire, the two infantry engineers who aren't fiddling with a bridge just finished their own wiring jobs and are about to move on.

So was the turn overview for the last turn wrong?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

So was the turn overview for the last turn wrong?

Trin Tragula posted:

I believe you are referring to this map?

[quote="Trin Tragula" post="470961979"]
And you now get an overview.

Turn 15
[/quote]

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I believe you are referring to this map?

Yes

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Only in terms of I miscalculated a couple of construction times that should have finished at the end of the update just gone, instead of first thing next one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When will you next be in the chat trin?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Couple new sets of German barbed wire up in Effyaders and a bridge between M2 and M3 - I assume these are all things that the scout plane spotted earlier but didn't get in the initial photographic plates sent to HQ. Looks like the Germans are getting cautious about our repeated counterattacks and are throwing up some defenses to hold their gains.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Grand old Duke himself has ordered us to fall back from those forward trenches. Move due south like so; the other companies fall back along the inside of the forest to stay out of sight. I'll be moving my HQ back to that lovely clearing in the woods, out of sight.

As usual, we'll defend these positions to the last drop of peasant blood.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Next deadline is tomorrow, are we missing anyone?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Lenoon's artillery hasn't submitted orders yet.

Are any new division elements entering the map?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

No new orders. Remain in position, give supporting fire as requested.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

This. We need to hold the line and stand fast.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AbortRetryFail posted:

Lenoon's artillery hasn't submitted orders yet.

Are any new division elements entering the map?

I dont think so. Fresh well rested troops next round are more important then tired troops now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having finally finished college poo poo and then catching up here, I'll throw my hat into the ring to repeat my role as Staff Officer unless urgently required to take the field.

All of the maps. My lovely lovely maps.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

There is an entire new divsion coming in which will probably have a bunch of people going "well i will take command unless someone else who hasn't had a go yet would like to".

Do you want to be counted as one of these people who hasn't had a go yet?

I'm asking because I'm imagining I'm going to be the one sorting it out when it comes down to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I honestly don't mind. I'm very fond of my maps.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

If you're going to move, could youleave a bit more chits in the center trench? They're a really important crumple zone in case of an attack from the center, and give you time to receive artillery support.

Maybe you could fire off a short, concentrated barrage into the SE FdE trench? Like, 4 heavy artillery targets covered by 4 light artillery targets? I figure doing some damage with your guys when we know we can would be a good idea. At the very least, that's a few chits less for the 25th to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Trin, could you explain how the German brigade got artillery support so fast? Did I misunderstand the rules (over 16 inches distance, so that's 3 turns delay), or is this one of the "can't confirm or deny anything" situations?

• Locked thread