Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This game is so much better now! Here's my government while we're posting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's the best way to create a custom name list for my space civ?

And can I use it in Ironman?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did that update come out yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Atsushogob posted:

Got it literally my first card pull so you've just had garbage luck. Get those hot +1 research alt techs and hope for the best I guess, also new worlds scientist in charge to skew.

I managed to get into some of the repeatable bio techs before it dropped. Just insanely bad luck.
I feel like I'm already in the mid-late game tech wise. Battleships, kinetic batteries, terraforming and almost max level resource buildings but still only have 1 ascendancy slot and the map is only about 20% filled so far, I'm still making lots of new contacts all the time.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Arglebargle III posted:

Did that update come out yet?

You mean the one we've all been talking about for the last 5 pages? :derp:

I have yet to please any of my factions because my neighbors are all dicks.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Every time I try to play this game I get bogged down trying to make my race. What are some fun options so far?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Holy poo poo you can change the room your alien person sits in.

GOTY 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Seeing as everyone is doing it, my unity bonus stacking, peaceful isolationist sentient cactus people who like to use other sentients are fertilizer.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
does cancelling building on a robot pop not return the resources?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Um, my first game was fine, but i decided to tweak my race a bit and restarted. Now any game i start or load i'm treated to a grey start view and i cannot go into galaxy map mode or do anything. No mods enabled and verified cache. Anyone else?

If you have a controller connected to your computer, unplug it. Worked for me.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Diogines posted:

How is the sector AI? Did they fix it?

It tells you if it lacks resources, and what it plans to build. In terms of decision-making, it won't (and will likely never) minmax absolutely perfectly, but that's the tradeoff for not taking core system increasing tech/ethics/civics/traditions, which can stack for a lot of core systems from the looks of it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pssh, pacifism. Murderfucking the galaxy with psi jump drives and +28% weapon fire rate, and +40% army damage is the way I like to roll. Should be some mean psionic armies. Plus a mineral boost between mining guilds and strong, and a credit boost with thrifty.

Figured I would try the psionic ascendancy perks, while punching people in the way. I really want to know what transcendence actually does.

Edit: I think these guys would be fun too, for purging your enemies and replacing them with robots. Would try out synthetic evolution. Will have good borders with nationalistic zeal and xenophobe, and zeal's +1 rivalry is nice with xenophobe's increased rivalry influence gain.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 7, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nerve stapling is hosed up. If I staple the prole species I start with under syncretic evolution, I can't build slave processing centers, because the game decides slavery is outlawed, even though it most certainly isn't. Stapled slaves also lose the bonus from stimulant diet techs and the slaver guild civic

Edit: Unstapling the same species lets me build the processing center again. It's worth noting that since all those tech, building, and civic bonuses don't apply to stapled slaves, they produce way less than regular slaves. Surely this is all a stupid bug, right? Like, I'm not meant to burn two ascension perks, three trait points, and lower my slaves' productivity just to knock out their unrest, yeah? Because that can be accomplished much more cheaply through the processing center and a few garrisons

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 7, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Pro:
The game now chooses an active mandate for your oligarchy at the start of the game, no need to reform or wait 40 years to get one.

Con:
The game seems to be drawing mandates randomly with no regard to the ethics/laws of the empire. My Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist inward perfection build was starting with various fun things like slavery bonuses and in one case a xeno attraction bonus.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Is Banks save game compatible?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yadoppsi posted:

Is Banks save game compatible?

Emphatically no.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also, I was kind of hoping that livestock slavery was useful in some way, but livestock slaves produce less food that regular chattel, even if I make them delicious.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Did this game get harder, or am I just poo poo? Minerals seem real hard to come by now, for whatever reason, and the AIs are outbuilding me dramatically.

Granted I'm also getting poo poo for luck on good colonies nearby, and the second game i tried had zero AI empires for about 30 years. I think my strategy is almost completely reliant on conquering an AI, sectoring their territory, and letting the sector build resources for me.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
"Tile blocker cleared."
:tviv:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wanna start a new game but drawing a complete blank trying to come up with a new civ. Already adjusted my old ones for the new government system so could just pick one of those I guess, but ugh.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is there a way to change your empire color yet? I had the unfortunate luck of starting yellow and I cannot see the hyperspace lanes in my territory :(

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh I figured out what was giving me obscene tech levels, it was the Planetary Survey Corps tradition. I think someone mentioned it a page or two ago but it is broken as gently caress. I'm ~60-70 years in and hitting end-game repeatables.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Staltran posted:

Have to go to sleep now but a couple things, the latter of which has probably been mentioned repeatedly already:
1. The finisher effect in traditions seems to be counted as a tradition for increasing tradition costs? Seems like a bug.
2. Planetary survey corps is the most broken thing that has ever been in the game, holy poo poo. Nothing at launch came close to being this broken, unless I've forgotten something. It's really easy to survey more than three planets a month, and then you're getting science stored up faster than you can use it. It literally doubles your science! And the AI probably misses out because it thinks trading star charts is a good idea. I've got almost six years worth of stored up science, and I've just got three orbitals built up with 7 lab complexes each so it was probably closer to 8 years before my science output increased suddenly.

What is that exactly? I just got back into this game and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the systems again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nordick posted:

I wanna start a new game but drawing a complete blank trying to come up with a new civ. Already adjusted my old ones for the new government system so could just pick one of those I guess, but ugh.

I had the same problem so I just hit Random and went with what I got!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Did this game get harder, or am I just poo poo? Minerals seem real hard to come by now, for whatever reason, and the AIs are outbuilding me dramatically.

Granted I'm also getting poo poo for luck on good colonies nearby, and the second game i tried had zero AI empires for about 30 years. I think my strategy is almost completely reliant on conquering an AI, sectoring their territory, and letting the sector build resources for me.

The new Consumer Goods requirement for pops is definitely slowing down mineral growth early on. And corvettes seem weaker than tissue paper now. Combined, I've definitely been unable to meet the kind of build speeds I used to have.

e; ^^ Planetary Survey Corps is one of the new Traditions that are in the game now. You have a resource called Unity, and when it builds up enough, you choose a Tradition for various benefits. They're basically Civics from Civ 5 and 6 if you've played either.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2017

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Lordshmee posted:

I also decided to finally register my Paradox account to enable Ironman to get achievements but I don't seem to be getting them :(

Colonized a planet, but still "So close..."

Same issue. Just started playing ironman today (it seems to be performing better in 1.5), and not getting achievements.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I've just been wrecked. Everything was going so well for my peacenik scientists, but my rear end in a top hat neighbors who claimed to love peace slowly grew envious of me and declared war. It's been a running battle to keep afloat but all my frontier outposts are gone and the rest of my opportunist neighbors have moved in to fill the gaps... curses! How can I discourage evil neighbors if my fleet cap won't let me build a strong enough deterrent?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Javes posted:

What is that exactly? I just got back into this game and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the systems again.

Basically, every time you scan something (it says planet, but it counts moons asteroids, stars etc) you get 1/3 of your current research as stored research in all three categories.

It is obviously OP as gently caress if you wait till late game to scan poo poo and still really really op for wider empires at the start as well because it keeps your research afloat.

Lordshmee posted:

I've just been wrecked. Everything was going so well for my peacenik scientists, but my rear end in a top hat neighbors who claimed to love peace slowly grew envious of me and declared war. It's been a running battle to keep afloat but all my frontier outposts are gone and the rest of my opportunist neighbors have moved in to fill the gaps... curses! How can I discourage evil neighbors if my fleet cap won't let me build a strong enough deterrent?

Defensive Pacts and lots of highly upgraded spaceports.

P.S. Think of Unity as culture from the civ series and you'll get the hang of it fast.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mister Adequate posted:

I had the same problem so I just hit Random and went with what I got!
That's absolutely a fine idea for some people, but I'm one of those dweebs who want to think up some background lore and poo poo, and too many of the portraits aren't really to my tastes, and and and basically I'm just way too goddamn picky for my own good.

Also random would run the risk of being pacifist which is lame and stupid

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Javes posted:

It's a Tradition. second down on the left in Discovery. Gives you research points as you survey planets.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nordick posted:

That's absolutely a fine idea for some people, but I'm one of those dweebs who want to think up some background lore and poo poo, and too many of the portraits aren't really to my tastes, and and and basically I'm just way too goddamn picky for my own good.

Also random would run the risk of being pacifist which is lame and stupid

I normally am like that too, but I find it fun to make up said lore with the random space jerks I get, but I know what you're saying!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Warp is the worst. What a waste of so many hours to be chasing after hyperfleets forever and being in war without end.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This came out about 9pm my time and I was playing it until nearly 3am, breaking only for a work call. Game is very good now.

I really love the revamped ethics and civics. It's the best thing since Alpha Centauri's civics for drawing a picture of what life in your empire is like.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
For my first game I decided to try the synthetic ascension path, but I think I might have hit a problem. I'm at the stage where all my pops are cyborgs, which is great, especially the +40 years lifespan. Unfortunately, whenever one of my dude gets elected to lead my glorious technocracy, they don't seem to be getting the cyborg trait. And because they're all old-rear end scientists kept alive by what I assume is a bunch of tubes and pumps and experimental drugs, ripping out all their implants for the election victory party goes rather poorly for them and they fall over dead within the year since they're now way over their natural lifespan.

The weird thing is that the leader I had when I completed the project to shove a bunch of electronics into my pops did get the cyborg trait (and still has it). I did reform my government from oligarchy to democracy after that, and that's when I started getting the issue, so maybe it's got something to do with that.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
While I keep working on that city world mod I posted about a few pages ago, I decided to upload a small custom mod I've been using for a while now to get a feel for how to upload things to the steam workshop.

It makes all homeworlds in the game a full 25 tiles large.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899885943

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Fanatic pacifist egalitarian can really stack the unity.

+40% from ethics
+15% from beacon of liberty
+1 unity on farms from idyllic farmers

Take the tree that reduces the unity penalty from colonies, grab another +10% from your first pick.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Fintilgin posted:

Fanatic pacifist egalitarian can really stack the unity.

+40% from ethics
+15% from beacon of liberty
+1 unity on farms from idyllic farmers

Take the tree that reduces the unity penalty from colonies, grab another +10% from your first pick.

Fanatic pacifist xenophobe can take inwards perfection instead of beacon of liberty. It adds 30% unity instead of 15%, and adds 5% happiness.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that terraforming planets are shown on the map now, very nice.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Habitat's really need to come earlier, maybe with an upgrade path (start out at 8 slots and grow to 16 or 20). As it stands unless the AI leaves you alone and you've got a lot of space to expand to a decent size unmolested, I don't see going tall as any more viable than it was before. Ringworlds and Dyson Sphere's make sense as a late game structure you really work toward, but cheap/small habitats are the only thing I can see that would make tall work but right now you've got to get your second perk and reach Battleships to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sky Shadowing posted:

It got a lot harder from my perspective. I haven't figured out how yet but, the AI is consistently out researching and out building me.

• Locked thread