Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hahaha those fuckers have the gale to charge 88 bucks for 3x3 tree stands. never change gw!
Real live miniature potted plants would be cheaper, even turning the whole game board into Birnam Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Made more progress!

I base coated the moss and the trees.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's a hansome bug right there.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I did see that Litko makes MDF tree templates that are the same size as Citadel Woods. They cost 9.99.

http://www.litko.net/products/Forest-Tray-Base-%281%29.html

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 5, 2017

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So, if a unit can take multiple weapon options, can you have half n half? Like 10 clanrats with swords and 10 with spears in the same unit (so the back guys can poke over the front guys) or do they need to be in separate units? Makes sense but the army builder thing I am using is one or the other so wasn;'t sure.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Had game of Sylvaneth versus Disciples of Tzeentch last night. Teleporting between woods is fun but got mulched by magic, shooting, and lots of weird disc rider tricks. Both my Leviathans got taken down in one turn each by ranged effects.

The way woods terrain was handled feels really wrong. Doesn't block line if sight and soft cover (save+1) applies if shooter or target are in terrain. Is that correct? Seems not worth relying on for guerrilla tactics if the board is effectively lacking in impact.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sylvaneth are allegedly pretty weak to mortal wound spam which Tzeench can do. Wyldwood hate magic but I dunno what deployment looked like and it that was a threat to them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mr.Booger posted:

So, if a unit can take multiple weapon options, can you have half n half? Like 10 clanrats with swords and 10 with spears in the same unit (so the back guys can poke over the front guys) or do they need to be in separate units? Makes sense but the army builder thing I am using is one or the other so wasn;'t sure.

Depends on the exact wording of the unit entry. In the case of clanrats their entry says the unit is armed with those weapons so they all have to be armed the same (rules wise anyway, modelling wise you can use a mix so long as you inform your oppoennt what they have)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm really leaning toward starting a Bloodbound army. I was thinking of just picking up the Red Headsmen set, but I haven't even played a game of Age of Sigmar yet. Thinking about having my local GW show me how to play.

Can you take a Bloodthirster with the Bloodbound, or are Demons/Mortals totally separate?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yes to the former, nope to the latter. They're even releasing a new armybook for Khorne stuff this weekend that'll help you mix Daemons/Mortals/Bloodbound even easier.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
You can take anything with the Khorne keyword.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Most base coats for my Tomb King down. Feeling pretty alright about it. My favourite part I've done is oddly the scarabs. Pretty stoked to make some progress and to just bite the bullet on painting one of my characters.

Oh came up with a name too, "Ahomtep the Dauntless"

Working on a background for him and my tomb in the endless deserts setting.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm the hang nail

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Progress is progress!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Moola posted:

i'm the hang nail

It's actually a Finglonger.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A mummy can dream though... a mummy can dream...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The Mutalith and Slaughterbrute got updated Warscrolls and have the proper keywords now. The Mutalith is a straight up beast.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/08/vortex-and-slaughter-the-beasts-are-back/

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TKIY posted:

The Mutalith and Slaughterbrute got updated Warscrolls and have the proper keywords now. The Mutalith is a straight up beast.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/08/vortex-and-slaughter-the-beasts-are-back/

Yeah this is great. I was going to pester about this on their Facebook, but never got the chance. The slaughterbrute can now be bound to a mortal Khorne hero.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Skeletons to get pushed around by mr finglongerer himself.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I'm gonna list stuff I've been buying or want to get, can anyone help me shape this into some semblance of a coherent list and tell me what easy holes to fill? I'm just getting models I like, but would like something that performs okay.

1 Skaven Warlord
1 Arch Warlock
1 Warlock Engineer
1 Packmaster
40 Clanrats
2 Rat Ogors
1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team
1 Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team
1 Slambo in a Lambo
16 Chaos Warriors
1 Doomwheel
1 unit of 3 Stormfiends
1 Verminlord

I know Jezzails are good for shooting but I'm still trying to figure out how I want to kitbash some.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

So I'm gonna list stuff I've been buying or want to get, can anyone help me shape this into some semblance of a coherent list and tell me what easy holes to fill? I'm just getting models I like, but would like something that performs okay.

1 Skaven Warlord
1 Arch Warlock
1 Warlock Engineer
1 Packmaster
40 Clanrats
2 Rat Ogors
1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team
1 Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team
1 Slambo in a Lambo
16 Chaos Warriors
1 Doomwheel
1 unit of 3 Stormfiends
1 Verminlord

I know Jezzails are good for shooting but I'm still trying to figure out how I want to kitbash some.

Honestly buying another spires of dawn set for another set of skaven would be nice for you. (It's a stupidly good deal as it's only 10 dollars more then 2 units of clan rats) you should also add a unit of stormvermin. Maybe a Grey Seer and you would probbably be pretty set.

I would add one or two units of rattling guns myself as well, as I want to start a skaven army.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Against my better judgement, and much prior mockery of AoS on my part, I've started playing AoS.

My only get out is that I'm playing with a friend, my 10 year old and his 12 yr old and a few of his school friends. I'd tried Kings of War with them but it didn't engage them ( despite being a much better game). AoS seems to work for young kids who want to mash a load of action figures together, and once I'd put aside my reservations regarding a lot of the rules ( especially the shooting) it was actually quite fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serotonin posted:

Against my better judgement, and much prior mockery of AoS on my part, I've started playing AoS.

My only get out is that I'm playing with a friend, my 10 year old and his 12 yr old and a few of his school friends. I'd tried Kings of War with them but it didn't engage them ( despite being a much better game). AoS seems to work for young kids who want to mash a load of action figures together, and once I'd put aside my reservations regarding a lot of the rules ( especially the shooting) it was actually quite fun.

You should still use points.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should still use points.

We do. 1000points seems to be a sweet spot for big monsters on table vs time it takes for kids to lose concentration

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Serotonin posted:

Is it still just mashing poo poo together? I was hoping that things would have advanced a bit by this stage...

Also, does anyone play with their square based models, or is that frowned upon? If I dip my toe in this (and, like Serotonin, I disliked AoS on launch) I do not want to have to rebase anything, and want to continue to be able to use my dudes in rank and file games as well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is it still just mashing poo poo together? I was hoping that things would have advanced a bit by this stage...

Also, does anyone play with their square based models, or is that frowned upon? If I dip my toe in this (and, like Serotonin, I disliked AoS on launch) I do not want to have to rebase anything, and want to continue to be able to use my dudes in rank and file games as well.

Don't play pitched battles. Instead, play the missions in the GH or scenarios from the various campaign books. That'll avoid mash in the middle syndrome. Also, aim to play for major wins and you'll have to play to the mission objectives.

At 1000 pts, you'll still want one or two squads to take objectives. If you only take big monsters you'll have trouble with some of the missions that require a certain number of guys within scoring range to score.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Skeletons! Very nice Skeletons!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/13/warhammer-underworlds-shadespire-new-faction-revealed/

The video shows more skeletons. They have quite a classic feel to them. If people don't like them, you have bad taste. Fact.

In before someone says Overdesigned nonsense.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

We play scenarios but these are young kids playing so yeah mostly it's mashing poo poo together. Im not asserting that mashing is the sum tactical worth of AoS.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Milotic posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/13/warhammer-underworlds-shadespire-new-faction-revealed/

The video shows more skeletons. They have quite a classic feel to them. If people don't like them, you have bad taste. Fact.

Those are nice skeletons. Ive got a 1000point Flesh Eaters force but I've been tempted to branch out into more Death stuff, especially skellingtons

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
BallonDorf ruledump:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Hmm, knew they were going to be shooty as basically every model has a gun, but is it weird if I think they might be too shooty? Not seeing alot of melee anything really. Maybe more will come out when the flying ball guys drop, but I think they use alot of the same weapons, so hard to see them being too much different. The self repairing ships and repairing dudes is a nice touch, but worried the games vs armies like choas might not be that engaging, as you just float around and shoot them....

I am torn, I want the ships, but not sure it would be a style of play I would enjoy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Milotic posted:

I loving love skeletons and think the older GW sculpts are a little lackluster. These guys are way great.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Thing that always hamstrung the Skele kits (and let's face it, a lot of the Fantasy kits in general) was their need to be able to rank up. Daemonettes are a prime example of this, their poses look so awkward as if the sculpter got half way through and went "poo poo, they don't rank up".

Mr.Booger posted:

Hmm, knew they were going to be shooty as basically every model has a gun, but is it weird if I think they might be too shooty? Not seeing alot of melee anything really. Maybe more will come out when the flying ball guys drop, but I think they use alot of the same weapons, so hard to see them being too much different. The self repairing ships and repairing dudes is a nice touch, but worried the games vs armies like choas might not be that engaging, as you just float around and shoot them....

I am torn, I want the ships, but not sure it would be a style of play I would enjoy.

I wasn't quite expecting AoS to get a Tau-esque shooty-manueverable army, I especially wasn't expecting it to be Dorfs of all factions to get said archetype. Reading the latest battle report in WD has soothed my balance concerns however, pinning them down with quick/expendable units so your hard hitters can catch up seems to be the best strat with dealing with them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milotic posted:

I don't get it why would anyone call that overdesigned.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just noticed the little skele-hand propping up the tombstone that dude's resting his foot on. :allears:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I wonder if the cool Skeledude is a jab at Mantic's Dungeon Saga, in the same was as their Scythe-holding skeledude was a jab at GW ignoring Hero Quest.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I think the person with oversight for the board game stuff used to work for Mantic. The guy who designed Gorechosen and Comorragh who's name I can't remember.

Both games that got good critical responses.

If shadespire is a decent game I will play it. Whatever happens I want those skeletons, even if it is just to use in fantasy skirmish games.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

This is cool as hell. That's one thing I really like about AoS - the units don't all stack up, so you don't lose all the detail on the models you work on behind ranks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Milotic posted:

I don't normally care about generic fantasy skeletons but those are super rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
New skydorfs look neat.

Thunderers are hilariously weak to any kind of mortal wound output. 5 models with 1 wound is just begging for somebody to throw 2d3 mortal wounds at them.

• Locked thread