Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Davincie posted:

hanasaku iroha, shirobako and sakura quest are all three part of the 'working' series. so described by PA works themselves. PA works wants you to compare them, because they themselves have made them part of a series 'about people and their jobs'

That implies that PA Works is going to keep making nice shows about people working, which I am fine with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't see people compare Iroha and Shirobako much

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I for one can't unsee the Sakura Quest girl as Pink Miyamori.

I actually didn't know PA works was the lead on Sakura Quest, and it wasn't until I thought, "Hmm, this whole thing looks and feels a lot like PA works stuff and this girl looks suspiciously like Miyamori..." then I looked it up and realized why.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Davincie posted:

hanasaku iroha, shirobako and sakura quest are all three part of the 'working' series. so described by PA works themselves. PA works wants you to compare them, because they themselves have made them part of a series 'about people and their jobs'

Oh, neat! I didn't know it was that was a planned thing from the get-go, I just assumed they found a niche in the market that worked for them and were sticking with it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I watched the first Boruto and I'm kinda disappointed. I thought it would be trash but it was actually watchable. Made it through the whole episode. Not that I like it enough to keep up with it.

I also started The Royal Tutor since it was on CR and it seems okay I guess. I'll keep watching for now I think.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's because the first ep of boruto apparently actually had a pretty good director in charge of it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay this anime seems fu - uu-

NO. BAD! BAD!

Wish they tried to send me to that reform school

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay this anime seems fu - uu-

NO. BAD! BAD!

The Fresh Princess (male) of Bel-air

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Droyer posted:

hmmmmmmm

Wow, the Ai-Ren anime really changed a lot

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/850084355430940672

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Seikaisuru Kado was pretty good. best cgi ive seen since (the otherwise horrendous) sky crawlers. interesting plot too, though the scientist girl was a bit annoying. going in blind made the ep 00 ending a real surprise!

tsuki ga kirei. i thought i would like this cause of the visuals, but it was really quite ugly in motion. the writing was charming though. nice realistic detail to it, with nice scenes like the mcs parents embarrassing them in a restaurant

clockwork planet, well like that gif shows is absolutely horrendous. it feels and looks like a bad ecchi that escaped from the 00s. shame, cause the promo art was good

renai boukon was pretty decent ecchi comedy fare

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Never content with just being a card, eh Zac?

Anyway

Bastard Instructor
Uh...huh. Tis a no from me here. If I wanted goofy magic taeacher antics I would watch Nubei. It'd be one thing if he was just simply a lazy-but compitent mage but he hasn't got that going for him so pfffffft to this show and whatever LN excuse it pulls out of it's arse

Clockwork Planet
Besides the finger scene (Was that in the original? I don't remember it from the manga but I do know the NGNL guy is a hornball twit so maybe it was there?) and some slight pacing issues I have nothing against this show. Earns it's three ep test pretty handily.

Love Tyrant
"Love Note"
Yeah, no.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 6, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Is there some kind of rule about misspelling Renai Bokki? Anyway, I thought it was surprisingly funny, even if it's hard to believe the gimmick can hold up for more than an episode or two.

Clockwork Planet was frighteningly ugly, with lumpy, inconsistent faces, in spite of it being the first episode. Tons of tropes that made me lose all hope for it ever being enjoyable. Didn't know it was by the No Game No Life author, but it doesn't change much. It also seemed to have some of the worst sound design I can remember.

Kabukibu was pretty nice, if only because I have a thing for that whole "let's start a club and gather unwilling members for this obscure activity!" Less gay harem than I expected, given the potential of the setting.

Tsuki ga Kirei is hideous to look at, but I'm a sucker for the mood in the writing, with embarrassed teenagers fluffing about.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

darkgray posted:

Less gay harem than I expected, given the potential of the setting.

what the heck

how could they

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm glad it's not explicitly a fujo targeted thing (yet?), since those have ended up as pretty forgettable shows for me in recent seasons

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Davincie posted:

Seikaisuru Kado was pretty good. best cgi ive seen since (the otherwise horrendous) sky crawlers. interesting plot too, though the scientist girl was a bit annoying. going in blind made the ep 00 ending a real surprise!

The basic plot is nice and I was also surprised. Not a big fan of mixing different animation styles, but it admittedly looks okay most of the time (still prefer Orange's 3D for general purposes and a couple of other companies on occasion).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:tviv:

The first episode of Kado: The Right Answer was absolutely brilliant. Even if all it did was make me finally come around to CG anime, it would be brilliant, but on top of even that extraordinary feat it manages to present an interesting premise in exceptional form. There wasn't a single thing I didn't like about it. As long as it doesn't suddenly drop the ball after this, I think this is a keeper.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

I'm glad it's not explicitly a fujo targeted thing (yet?), since those have ended up as pretty forgettable shows for me in recent seasons

yuri on ice...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

yuri on ice...

gah!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yuri on ice...

Was that a harem, though? Just seemed like a bunch of gay skaters (and a couple of terrible straight guys) who all had their own individual things going on.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Was that a harem, though? Just seemed like a bunch of gay skaters (and a couple of terrible straight guys) who all had their own individual things going on.

No one said harem about that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Tsuki ga Kirei was refreshingly normal for a school romance story. And I don't mean anime normal, but like normal people normal. And I don't just mean the main characters, but literally everyone. It's also really well directed. It's got quite a bit of narrative ambition in the way it's presenting its story. On top of that, it's incredibly pretty and has really nice music, including its OP and ED.

Looks like Thursdays might be a pretty good day of the week for anime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

What is this JJ hate

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dogsicle posted:

ACCA

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I wasn't going to watch Sakura Quest initially since I kept reading the summary and somehow ending up thinking the hired girls were high schoolers and they were going to be idols not just working for tourism, I guess it kept turning into the summary for that Locodol show somehow which I didn't even watch. But all the Shirobako comparisons and the actual details of the show discussed here have convinced me to give it a shot. Thanks, Spring Season thread, I hope it is a good show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
locodol is good

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
oh i thought sakura quest was an anime in the sakura clicker series of games so i was avoiding it heavily

if it's actually something good i'll give it a shot

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/850159913221238785

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xinder posted:

oh i thought sakura quest was an anime in the sakura clicker series of games so i was avoiding it heavily

lmao

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

:mrgw:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alternative translation:

"Lets show them stupid gaijin how it's done."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize it was cgi until very late in ep 00. It seems decent and characters feel mostly like rational actors rather than just following the demands of the plot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ViggyNash posted:

Alternative translation:

"Lets show them stupid gaijin how it's done."

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakura Quest is a pretty good show but it constantly bugs me that it's not as good as Shirobako. I'm incredibly unfair.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Xinder posted:

Same tbh when I first saw the title

It seems good though, first episode was all premise setup but there were some funny moments

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize it was cgi until very late in ep 00. It seems decent and characters feel mostly like rational actors rather than just following the demands of the plot.

Well, that's because most of episode 00 was entirely 2D to begin with. The 3D parts only start to happen near the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the setup/characters in Sakura Quest weren't as immediately interesting as shirobako's and I didn't really get a feel for anybody, but the comedy in the back half was amazing and there was some good character animation. Definitely going to keep watching.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

Is there some kind of rule about misspelling Renai Bokki? Anyway, I thought it was surprisingly funny, even if it's hard to believe the gimmick can hold up for more than an episode or two.

In my case I just accidentally spelled it wrong twice, and Droyer pointed it out to me, so I've made it my mission to never get the spelling right out of spite.

I dunno about anyone else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xinder posted:

why would you think that

they're a fly-by-night western vn company

how would they get an anime made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean, i was referring to shows like Cheer Boys, B Project, and Marginal#4 which are a far cry from YoI or ACCA

• Locked thread