Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zeruel posted:

I wish Kobayashi dropped her usual stoicness just a little...

My only complaint with the last ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She yelled at a dragon man about how Tohru was staying with her...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hypha posted:

Honestly when Tohru came back, I wanted her to rush into a hug or like....something. She was pinballing to the door as it was already, so it wasn't like a stretch.

drat it now you're making me remember there was no hug like I wanted :(

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Sea Sponge Run posted:

drat it now you're making me remember there was no hug like I wanted :(

There was a big rear end hug at the end after Tohru's father left. It had tears and everything.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wicked.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hypha posted:

There was a big rear end hug at the end after Tohru's father left. It had tears and everything.

You sure? I could watch it again in not a fever-dream related state I suppose

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess I'm gonna be the downer in that I liked the last episode quite a bit (especially since it has a lot of anime-original material which KyoAni has knocked out of the park in making this version of the story so good), but I'm not sure it necessarily elevated what is already a good show to above and beyond.

Overall this was a very nice watch of a product that originally at least I held no interest for. Favorite bit by far remains everything with Kanna and Santa Claus in that one ep.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I agree, it wasn't the best episode, but that is probably because it was so bitter sweet as the end to a good show.

It was a very solid end though, probably one of the better ones I've seen in anime.

(I might not have seen the best)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That was incredibly sweet and had surprisingly smart and real moments for a goofy fantasy spoof slapstick show and i'm genuinely sad it's over

though some uncomfortably creepy overtones for the young dragon kid / boy wizard stuff meshed incredibly poorly with the wholesome tone of the rest of the show and mean i'll probably never actually recommend it to anyone, ever

which is just a goddamn bummer, cause i really wish i could

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 6, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That was incredibly sweet and had surprisingly smart and real moments for a goofy fantasy spoof slapstick show and i'm genuinely sad it's over

though some uncomfortably creepy overtones for the young dragon kid / boy wizard stuff meshed incredibly poorly with the wholesome tone of the rest of the show and mean i'll probably never actually recommend it to anyone, ever

I'm pretty sure you could clip out most scenes with them in it and it would have almost no discernible effect on the show.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure you could clip out most scenes with them in it and it would have almost no discernible effect on the show.
Absolutely, which is exactly why i get even less why they're there in the first place. Unless applying pointless fanservice-y innuendo to characters that look like they're 8 is some stunningly off-tone cynic meta-genre-commentary joke

and even then

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 6, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Absolutely, which is exactly why i get even less why they're there in the first place. Unless applying pointless fanservice-y innuendo to characters that look like they're 8 is some stunningly off-tone cynic meta-genre-commentary joke

and even then

And the weirdest part is that Shouta is a mage-in-training. Arguably that pair could have had some of the most interesting interactions with a few magic gags thrown in. After the first time he's introduced, it's never really mentioned again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's from the original and the tone of the show was barely wholesome. At least not completely.

It's initially a little creepy, but then it's largely played off for laughs like any sort of bawdy humor.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

i think this was def the saddest part of the finale

https://files.catbox.moe/2yaj7a.webm

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

hambeef posted:

"Protected Kidnapped from on high by lord of darkness" checks out.

Unfortunately, Kobayashi never ate the tail, so the show gets an F-.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Hot take coming through; I don't think the scenes were problematic at all, were actually funny and people are overreacting to its inclusion.

Different folk, different strokes, but it gets really circle-jerky to hear peoples go "wow, this was a good show, except that part I didn't like" "yeah I know, what a totally unlikable part" "high five".

Now, I'm not going to say that others are wrong to not like the part, just that it's funnier if you keep in mind that he was summoning a demon and frankly got off easy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm starting to suspect that the purpose behind Tohru feeding Kobayashi her tail is to extend her life ala Monkey Magic.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm not sure what's creepy with Kanna unless showing kids being gay is bad or something

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

http://mashable.com/2017/04/06/lgbtq-japan-osaka/#h.zyIcn_Viqc

KyoAni did it guys!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hambeef posted:

Lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Does this mean Japan is officially a less lovely place than the US?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

no, we still actually have rights in this country

for the time being

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
There weren't any kisses in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai until the OVA either. So look forward to that I guess.

Question: Did Elma actually do anything, at all, since her introduction? Other than eat a food? Poor girl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HellCopter posted:

There weren't any kisses in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai until the OVA either. So look forward to that I guess.

Question: Did Elma actually do anything, at all, since her introduction? Other than eat a food? Poor girl.

She learned touch typing and is learning programming and is Kobayashi's friend.

That being said, I could have used more Elma.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Elma is cool and cuddly and sadly underused.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm upset they didn't adapt the most Elma-focused chapter. :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else think of this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The dub for Kanna is looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wpezqKFnA

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh god the slurping and heavy breathing made me cringe.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope there's gonna be plushies of the chorogons in dragon form. doofy dragons rule

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I hope for something like the dancing solar powered flowers, but with the dragons instead of flowers.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Did Kobayashi visit home with Tooru in the Manga? Want to see that scene

"Oh hey mom and dad, here's my new live-in maid who's obsessed with me and my adopted daughter....its uh been a interesting year"

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Fellis posted:

Did Kobayashi visit home with Tooru in the Manga? Want to see that scene

"Oh hey mom and dad, here's my new live-in maid who's obsessed with me and my adopted daughter....its uh been a interesting year"

No, that is new.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I agree Elma was underused; her and Shota/Lucoa becoming more sibling-like is something I wish we got more of too. I would like a second season down the line to get some more of that, but it's also fine the way it is. Good show, good dragons.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Attack on Kanna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWFvJQzQATg

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

doesn't include the kanna noise, 0/10

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Obviously Kobayashi taking them to her parents at the end is the set up for the OVA guys~ Aaa yea good show. It went from ep 1 being kinda like "Ehhhhh.." to being one of my faves this season, if not fave. I think also after the initial stuff with Shouta and Lucoa it got a lot less gross feeling but maybe because it was in little one off gags as opposed to half an episode about it. I dunno. All I know is yay choragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Good Listener posted:

Obviously Kobayashi taking them to her parents at the end is the set up for the OVA guys~ Aaa yea good show. It went from ep 1 being kinda like "Ehhhhh.." to being one of my faves this season, if not fave. I think also after the initial stuff with Shouta and Lucoa it got a lot less gross feeling but maybe because it was in little one off gags as opposed to half an episode about it. I dunno. All I know is yay choragons.

I also think they got better at the Lucoa and Shota gags, and made them less one-note as the series went on. I was oddly happy for her when Lucoa realized she should stop dressing like a street walker.

• Locked thread