Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Let's beat the terror drum!!!!! BEAT IT!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/terrorists-may-target-anzac-day-commemorations-government-says/8422232

quote:

Terrorists may seek to target Anzac Day commemorations in Gallipoli, Government says By defence reporter Andrew Greene and political reporter Matthew Doran Updated yesterday at 3:29pm

The Federal Government says it has received information to suggest terrorists may seek to target Anzac Day commemorations on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey.

Key points:

Government, AFP cannot detail nature of the threat, Dan Tehan says
Australian authorities work closely with their Turkish counterparts to ensure pilgrimage is safe
"It's up to the traveller to make the final decision on whether they travel or not," Mr Tehan says
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has updated its travel advice for Turkey to reflect the new information, but the overall warning level for the country has not changed.

Veterans Affairs Minister Dan Tehan said the Government and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) could not detail the nature of the threat, but urged caution for travellers to the area.

"As with any other location, we advise travellers of risks they are likely to face during their visit and encourage them to take appropriate risk-mitigation measures, if they decide to proceed with their visit," Mr Tehan said. "Ultimately, it is up to the traveller to make the final decision on whether to travel or not. Unfortunately, in the current global environment, major events attract threats of varying degrees. Regrettably, Anzac Day is not immune." AFP Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said Australian authorities were working closely with their Turkish counterparts to ensure those making the pilgrimage to Gallipoli were safe. "We have got people stationed in our embassy in Ankara, and we have been working closely with not only the Turkish National Police but also the Gendarmerie and around the peninsula for Anzac Day commemorations," he said. "We have confidence in the Turkish authorities to secure the peninsula and other celebrations in the area. They have a good track record of doing so, we are in constant liaison with them."
So "Ooooo terror terror boogie boogie" but actually it's all OK and the Turkish coppers have it well in hand. For fucks sake.

Now given the number of complete gently caress wit flag cape wearing buffons attending (And leaving tonnes of litter) I wouldn't be totally opposed to a campaign of carpet bombing except for the way this would entrench all of the wrong values in ANZAC day.

But: Ooooo terror terror boogie boogie Speaking of: The London Westminster incident is still being labelled a Ooooo terror terror boogie boogie attack when all evidence points to it being a crazy person acting out. You know like the Lindt thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Australian politics live podcast has a new ep on housing with Grog and Shane Wright (economics editor for the West Australian). Their prediction for the Budget is a move on reducing the range of negative gearing rather than scare the horses on capital gains tax (Grog) or some kind of spending package (Shane).

edited for moar accuracy.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 7, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
4 seconds of ice not getting chucked on Hanson

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Australian politics live podcast has a new ep on housing with Grog and Shane Wright (economics editor for the West Australian). Their prediction for the Budget is a move on reducing the range of the capital gains tax rather than scare the horses on negative gearing.

God I love Greg Jericho.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

BBJoey posted:

looking forward to lowtax shutting down auspol when we get investigated by asio

Its seems like every Australian forum on the net gets investigated at some point.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Kafka Syrup posted:

God I love Greg Jericho.

Yeah he rules. Charts for days. Certainly makes up for the horseshit Katherine Murphy puts up on the Guardian

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/BehrouzBoochani/status/850157638243368960

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

In a shocking turn of events...

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/07/malcolm-turnbull-hints-australia-may-be-joining-us-strike-on-assad-regime?CMP=soc_568

Malcolm Turnbull has hinted that Australia may be involved in an expanded US-led military strike on Syria, after outrage at Tuesday’s chemical weapons attack in Idlib.

The prime minister, speaking shortly before it emerged the US was launching missile strikes on a Syrian military airfield near Homs, said the attack “cries out” for a strong response and that Russia had to take some responsibility.

“I can’t go into any more detail than that, other than to say that I’ve spoken only a little while ago with the defence minister [Marise Payne] and the chief of the defence force [Mark Binskin]” he told 3AW radio on Friday.

“You know where we stand. We have condemned this attack utterly. It cries out for a strong response and we are in very … close and constant communication with our allies, in particular the United States.”

Payne also called on the UN security council to take action but cautioned that “we need to be very careful” about the complexity of the Syrian conflict.

“We have to be clear with Russia, with have to be clear with those who support the regime, that this is totally unacceptable,” she said.

“The UN security council, I understand, is considering the options that are available to it. We would call on them to take action in response to that.”

The US vice-president, Mike Pence, is due to visit Australia this month. Pence will fly in on 22 April, as part of a regional tour of Asia-Pacific countries including South Korea, Japan and Indonesia.

The foreign minister, Julie Bishop, says Pence’s visit underlines the importance of the Australia-US alliance.

“Vice-President Pence’s visit provides an important opportunity to discuss the depth and breadth of Australia’s strategic, security and economic relationship with the United States, and to underline our commitment to work with the Trump administration to advance our shared interests in our region and globally,” she said.

At least 72 people were killed in northern Syria this week after being exposed to a toxic gas that survivors said had been dropped from warplanes at dawn on Tuesday.

At least 100 others had to be treated in hospitals in Idlib province where the strike took place, and several dozen others were transferred to Turkey, some in critical condition.

There has been international condemnation of the attack, with the US, Britain, the EU and Australia blaming the Syrian government for the carnage.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:nutshot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at Trumpbull telling literally anyone else to take some responsibility.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

In a shocking turn of events...

ALL THE WAY WITH LBJ DJT

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You Am I posted:

ALL THE WAY WITH LBJ DJT

Please don't go all the way with anyone until you are married.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/850184272853872640

:toot:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Time for a little homegrown

The ABC posted:

The NSW Police Joint Counter Terrorism Unit has joined the investigation into a fatal stabbing and "horrific" violent rampage across Queanbeyan and Canberra overnight.

Two teenage boys were arrested this morning after allegedly going on a rampage that left one man dead and another seriously injured.

NSW Police confirmed the counter-terrorism unit was investigating this afternoon.

That includes officers from NSW Police, the Australian Federal Police, ASIO and the Crime Commission.

The pair has been taken to a watch house in Canberra but police plan to seek their extradition back to NSW today.

The 15- and 16-year-olds allegedly stabbed a service station attendant to death at Queanbeyan about midnight before taking off with the station's cash register and several other stolen items.

Monaro police commander Superintendent Rod Smith said it appeared the pair, from Queanbeyan, had also been involved in a series of "absolutely horrific" attacks nearby overnight.

That allegedly included stabbing another man in the abdomen. He was taken to Canberra Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Police said another man was bashed with a tyre iron in an aggravated break and enter, while yet another was hit with a beer bottle in a nearby park.

The pair was also allegedly involved in another attempted robbery at Oaks Estate in the ACT.

"It doesn't need to be said but it doesn't get much more serious than this," Superintendent Smith said.
"We'd just like to reassure everybody that there are two people that we believe are involved and both of those people are currently in custody."

Emergency services were first alerted to the service station stabbing by an employee when he arrived at work about midnight to find his co-worker suffering serious stab wounds.

The 29-year-old man died at the scene and Superintendent Smith said his co-worker was "obviously very shaken".

The offenders had become locked inside the store and allegedly smashed their way out a window to escape.

Superintendent Smith said the two teenagers had been arrested following a police chase about 6:30am.

A weapon was found in that car but Superintendent Smith said it was not clear whether it had been used in the attacks.

So we don't know why counter-terrorism units are involved in this at present hint: they're probably brown but a stabbing rampage does sound pretty terrifying. It may be even worse than living in Queanbeyan.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bn

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bogan King posted:

Time for a little homegrown

So we don't know why counter-terrorism units are involved in this at present hint: they're probably brown but a stabbing rampage does sound pretty terrifying. It may be even worse than living in Queanbeyan.

This is making me think of Menace II Society

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The US fired 59 expensive missiles at an airfield that was empty, because they informed the Russians of the strike beforehand so they could get out of the way, and the Russians promptly informed the Syrians, who emptied the place out of people and targets of value.

The ALP is essentially endorsing the defunding of the US National Endowment for the Arts to fund the replacement missiles.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The US fired 59 expensive missiles at an airfield that was empty, because they informed the Russians of the strike beforehand so they could get out of the way, and the Russians promptly informed the Syrians, who emptied the place out of people and targets of value.

The ALP is essentially endorsing the defunding of the US National Endowment for the Arts to fund the replacement missiles.

Look mate, we just want to blow up some brown peoples stuff. The blood and debris splattered everywhere is like a Jackson loving Pollock or some poo poo so we can have our cake and eat it too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A war will always get you through an election cycle well played Turnbull.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull has played this in a way certain to enrage the looney Right:

https://twitter.com/FightingTories/status/850209160356429824

NOT ENOUGH RARGHHH :mad:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I think Turnbull is finished. Kevin Rudd is making a play for returning to a leadership role.

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/850210848010141696

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/849875493977432065

1 Liek = 1 Prayer
1 Sign = 1 chocolate egg for your face

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/kagij/status/850217874736136192

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bogan King posted:

I think Turnbull is finished. Kevin Rudd is making a play for returning to a leadership role.

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/850210848010141696

Someone restring that bow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone seen anything being advertised as a holiday egg anyway?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No, which is almost as funny as the idea of rabbits and chocolate eggs being some uniquely Christian imagery.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You mean this is fake news? :sad:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

You mean this is fake news? :sad:

I want to know if that's the offical Australian Conservatives Twitter account or one of the numerous fake ones

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It should also be mentioned you won't see them called 'holiday eggs' anywhere but 'halaliday eggs' instead.

You Am I posted:

I want to know if that's the offical Australian Conservatives Twitter account or one of the numerous fake ones

This is the real deal baby.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

"A spokesperson for Senator Bernardi told BuzzFeed News the senator was "not inclined to reply" to a question about who, exactly, wants to get rid of the word Easter in Australia.

Asked why Bernardi didn't want to reply, the spokesperson said "He did not give a reason."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Barnardi is a paper tiger chewing on a soft squeaky rubber ball.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://pinshape.com/items/14258-3d-printed-last-supper-holiday-egg

Secularists :argh:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Those atheist fuckers removing the very name of the eggs that Jesus himself layed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Those atheist fuckers removing the very name of the eggs that Jesus himself layed

No, no, on the third day Jesus rose from the egg!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

weird because reportedly the entire airfield, 12 planes and 4 soldiers were killed. must have been ghost planes and soldiers, left behind after it was empty

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Scylo posted:

weird because reportedly the entire airfield, 12 planes and 4 soldiers were killed. must have been ghost planes and soldiers, left behind after it was empty

4 soldiers killed in an air base is an incredibly low figure

The story is they fled by foot or car so that explains the planes

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No you see the colour of the egg is the same as the wood on the cross.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

4 soldiers killed in an air base is an incredibly low figure

The story is they fled by foot or car so that explains the planes

Surely the primary purpose of the strike is to ground their Air Force, by destroying both planes and runway/hangar infrastructure, in which case

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 7, 2017

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Surely the primary purpose of the strike is to ground their Air Force, by destroying both planes and runway/hangar infrastructure, in which case Mission Accomplished?

Yeah, but when you're firing $60 million worth of missiles, it doesn't seem like you're getting good value for money if you only kill four dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, but when you're firing $60 million worth of missiles, it doesn't seem like you're getting good value for money if you only kill four dudes.

Depends how much it costs them to replace planes and runways.

• Locked thread