Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Just found out that I missed the one day vive sale. That would have actually pushed me over the edge into buying one.

I'll still probably get one, but it hurts to miss it by a day.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A friend of mine just got a replacement rift due to a factory defect with the cable plug and his "boot" time is now very fast. The light goes from orange to white to screen is lit in about a second. Mine takes maybe 6 or 7 seconds. I wonder if they did an internal part revision?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mine that I bought a few weeks ago is up and at the white warning screen in the second or two it takes to pull down over my face. Nowhere near 6-7 seconds.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I'm sure this question has been asked fifty times before, but is the oculus rift with the third camera and the touch controllers an equivalent experience to the vive's roomscale vr? Can it do everything the vive can?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The only time I see more than a couple seconds, is if Home isn't running. It's a few more if it needs to start that as well.

I've never used a Vive, so I'm not to sure on subtle differences, though 3 cameras works great with Rift. Though it does take more USB 3.0 commitment for Rift.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Carsius posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked fifty times before, but is the oculus rift with the third camera and the touch controllers an equivalent experience to the vive's roomscale vr? Can it do everything the vive can?
Yes, with very slight differences due to controller shape and for play areas that are no larger than ~2x2.5m. There's a "default mapping" which mirrors vive wands closely but almost all games worth playing support the touch controllers natively now anyway.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Carsius posted:

Do keep in mind there is a limited field of view with the cameras, so you likely can't go close to the wall if you have your cameras on the wall. You can use the entire space of your room with a Vive with the sole exception of right against the wall about 6 inches from the lighthouses. You'll also have less Occlusion issues with 2 lighthouses than 3 rift sensors. All that said the Rift is awesome, comefortable, build in sound is way better, touch controllers are much lighter. If you can only get one then either is a fine choice. I personally have both and just about never plug the Rift in. If I had to pick one at the same price I'd personally choose the Vive for the cable length/larger tracking space alone.

Also the Rift cable is very short compared to the Vive.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Not quite sure why people keep saying the Vive has less occlusion with 2 lighthouses vs 3 or 4 Rift sensors. I've been seeing people mention it lately. Is there any studies to support this? Having more devices naturally means less chances of occlusion.

Also, yes, Rift roomscale works fine. The downside compared to the Vive is a smaller play volume (and the taller you are, the more problematic that may be), and the shorter cable (but you can easily buy a 6 foot long extender and that will solve that problem entirely).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nalin posted:

Not quite sure why people keep saying the Vive has less occlusion with 2 lighthouses vs 3 or 4 Rift sensors. I've been seeing people mention it lately. Is there any studies to support this? Having more devices naturally means less chances of occlusion.

Also, yes, Rift roomscale works fine. The downside compared to the Vive is a smaller play volume (and the taller you are, the more problematic that may be), and the shorter cable (but you can easily buy a 6 foot long extender and that will solve that problem entirely).

Not studies, (lol really?) but countless anecdotals from rift's early roomscale days. To be fair those anecdotals have gotten better and for the most part people say the rift's roomscale is almost as good now, though the vive still tends to edge out a bit ahead. Even tiny tracking minutia aside, if you want to do roomscale the vive is just better for it because you don't have to trapes 3-4 extra usb chords around your room, and also take up 3-4 additional usb ports on your computer. Plus there is less overhead.

https://uploadvr.com/vive-vs-oculus-rift-touch-roomscale/

http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/htc-vive-vs-oculus-rift-1301375/2

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 7, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Good lord in heaven the vive head strap is awful. The vive gets about 2 hours of use a day between my roommate and I and the back strap is just completely worn out at this point. Thing barely grips my head at all now.

Any good DIY solutions until the deluxe audio strap comes out?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

App13 posted:

Good lord in heaven the vive head strap is awful. The vive gets about 2 hours of use a day between my roommate and I and the back strap is just completely worn out at this point. Thing barely grips my head at all now.

Huh weird, my strap gets immense use (I demo frequently) and mine isn't worn or problematic at all. How exactly did it wear out, do you have pictures?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Huh weird, my strap gets immense use (I demo frequently) and mine isn't worn or problematic at all. How exactly did it wear out, do you have pictures?

The bottom elastic of the triangle is super loose, I think it is from people pulling on it when the head strap is incorrectly placed.

I'll upload pictures in a few minutes

Edit:

Hopefully this illustrates what I'm talking about. That bit of fabric basically has no "spring" left in it and is very weak. This leads to the whole headset sagging down on the users face/nose after a few minutes, regardless of how far back the strap is placed.

App13 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

App13 posted:

The bottom elastic of the triangle is super loose, I think it is from people pulling on it when the head strap is incorrectly placed.

Edit:

Hopefully this illustrates what I'm talking about. That bit of fabric basically has no "spring" left in it and is very weak. This leads to the whole headset sagging down on the users face/nose after a few minutes, regardless of how far back the strap is placed.

Huh that really sucks! Can you pin it? I just tested my spring and its super springy still.

Hopefully the new strap comes out soon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

Not studies, (lol really?) but countless anecdotals from rift's early roomscale days. To be fair those anecdotals have gotten better and for the most part people say the rift's roomscale is almost as good now, though the vive still tends to edge out a bit ahead. Even tiny tracking minutia aside, if you want to do roomscale the vive is just better for it because you don't have to trapes 3-4 extra usb chords around your room, and also take up 3-4 additional usb ports on your computer. Plus there is less overhead.

https://uploadvr.com/vive-vs-oculus-rift-touch-roomscale/

http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/htc-vive-vs-oculus-rift-1301375/2

None of that is about occlusion. And my post already pointed out the smaller tracking volumes and the shorter cable.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nalin posted:

None of that is about occlusion. And my post already pointed out the smaller tracking volumes and the shorter cable.

Yes I know, they're in depth comparisons between the two HMD's so he can make up his own mind. Like I said the tracking issues are all anecdotal, you can find people claiming the rift is even better than the vive in some instances but overwhelmingly the responses for people who own both are that they are very comparable with the vive having slightly more accurate/reliable tracking and a better overall product for roomscale (longer cable, larger capable play area, avoiding the hassle of 3-4 camera setups).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Whichever one you buy will be the best one, don't sweat it. The differences are so minor that the only ones who have a strong opinions are of the console warrior variety.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Whichever one you buy will be the best one, don't sweat it. The differences are so minor that the only ones who have a strong opinions are of the console warrior variety.

Well, the true difference is supporting an evil conglomerate hell-bent on creating a walled garden system where they control everything...

Or a slightly less evil corporation that grants money to companies to innovate new concepts for their headset, all without demanding exclusivity in an attempt to control the market.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Oculus did drag their feet on room scale and only supported it as fast as they did because the Vive came out swinging it's 'ROOM SCALE ALL THE TIME FOREVER' dick and caught them off guard. They are still whiny about room scale and thanks to them we get the 'standing but facing forward' method that pops up in games sometimes.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Because haha room scale is a fad and aaaany minute everyone will realize how dumb it is.

......right?

............right, guys?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

"Company sells hardware and software platform to support hardware"

Thor-Stryker posted:

evil conglomerate hell-bent on creating a walled garden system where they control everything...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

App13 posted:

Edit:

I've heard that HTC is pretty happy to ship replacement straps to people; have you tried asking for a new one?

Knifegrab posted:

Yes I know, they're in depth comparisons between the two HMD's so he can make up his own mind. Like I said the tracking issues are all anecdotal, you can find people claiming the rift is even better than the vive in some instances but overwhelmingly the responses for people who own both are that they are very comparable with the vive having slightly more accurate/reliable tracking and a better overall product for roomscale (longer cable, larger capable play area, avoiding the hassle of 3-4 camera setups).
I wonder if the difference is actually that the Vive headset/controllers are designed to be harder to occlude at the cost of compactness, rather than any unlikely consequence of the tracking tech.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ralith posted:

I've heard that HTC is pretty happy to ship replacement straps to people; have you tried asking for a new one?

I wonder if the difference is actually that the Vive headset/controllers are designed to be harder to occlude at the cost of compactness, rather than any unlikely consequence of the tracking tech.

Certainly could be, their designed such that it is really hard to get one to complete occlude another, and that is only considering one angle and there are two base stations.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Because haha room scale is a fad and aaaany minute everyone will realize how dumb it is.

......right?

............right, guys?

This thread really was something else back in the hayday wasn't it?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm 50/50 on sitting down vs roomscale. My muscles are sore from weights and I'm tired and just want to veg out half the time if not more. It probably helps that no form of artifical locomotion makes me sick too, I dunno. :shrug: I'm glad there are options of both types of games, personally.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I bought a few games on the Steam VR sale.

Boo Breakers: The Ghostening: Ehh. It's a shallow Ghostbusters knock-off, but it was only $2.50 and I feel like the half hour I spend busting ghosts was worth $2.

Vanishing Realms: Only played an hour so far, but I'm liking it. As The Lab and Rec Room have proved I'm poo poo with a bow.

Knockout League: I thought "Well, 8one6, you've put in 11 hours in Soundboxing, how different could this be?"

Ducking and dodging are using muscles groups I abandoned in high school after I took up my all lasagna diet, (I'm a fat loser, you see)* but I look forward to getting into enough shape to play video games.

The other games I haven't put any time into yet because of my work schg, but I'll be bothering the thread with updates as I play them.

*It wasn't quite that bad, but I'm down 70lbs from my max weight and already down about 10 lbs this year thanks to major eating changes and being way more active.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

The other games I haven't put any time into yet because of my work schg, but I'll be bothering the thread with updates as I play them.
Please do! I don't have much time for VR-ing right now, and anyway for some reason I always enjoy reading about other peoples' experiences.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I loved Wii boxing and knockout league interests me. Honestly would prefer a more realistic one, like thrill of the fight, though I might just go for this while that one is fleshed out more.

Guess I might also grab the second encounter, since I liked that one a bit more and I can decide if the others are worth it.

Does anyone have Crystal Rift and have you gotten it to work with the touch controllers? It doesn't seem to recognize them on the Steam version and the Home version is only gamepad.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

App13 posted:

I did the "welding mask mod" for mine. If you have access to a 3d printer, I highly recommend trying it out. The headgear (I got this one: Headgear, For Helmet Headgear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00826AM7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jb55yb8KXQY1B ) makes a world of difference in terms of comfort, ease of adjustment, and simplicity in taking the hmd on/off. The whole "mod" just consists of snipping the frontmost strap off of the welding headgear and snapping on the two 3d printed clips (I used these, which don't even require any hardware to hold together: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2038745 ). Took less than 5 minutes to put the whole thing together.
I was chomping at the bit for the new audio strap to come out, but I'm so happy with this mid that I'm now perfectly good waiting until some reviews come out before throwing money at it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

JohnnySmitch posted:

I did the "welding mask mod" for mine. If you have access to a 3d printer, I highly recommend trying it out. The headgear (I got this one: Headgear, For Helmet Headgear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00826AM7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jb55yb8KXQY1B ) makes a world of difference in terms of comfort, ease of adjustment, and simplicity in taking the hmd on/off. The whole "mod" just consists of snipping the frontmost strap off of the welding headgear and snapping on the two 3d printed clips (I used these, which don't even require any hardware to hold together: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2038745 ). Took less than 5 minutes to put the whole thing together.
I was chomping at the bit for the new audio strap to come out, but I'm so happy with this mid that I'm now perfectly good waiting until some reviews come out before throwing money at it.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

JohnnySmitch posted:

Totally going to do this. Awesome!

Also my headstrap looks like above, but its mainly the strap part that was supposed to hold the cables, not the back of your head, that is loose. I still have plenty of head holding elastic, its just that back flap part that got loose (looks the same as that picture) and doesn't do a good job of holding the cables anyway.

Cannot wait for Wireless VR that is for drat sure.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

JohnnySmitch posted:

I second this recommendation, I modded my Vive with the welding mask strap and ordered 3d printed adapters to hook some headphones up to it and it is so much more comfortable now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nalin posted:

(Anecdote)
I've literally crawled on the floor from corner to corner and never lost tracking of the wands. I haven't found a way to cause occlusion/lose tracking of Vive wands short of using 2 hands to cover the sensors.

Rift I can easily lose tracking if I'm at the far edge of the volume and point the controller toward (point trigger at camera) the camera while blocked on the other side. I've haven't tried the newer software and I only had 2 camera but hand tracking was acceptable but no where near as good as Vive. Note I've not had issues with headset tracking, just hand tracking. The fact the Vive can track wall to wall while the rift wants your play space to not go within 2 feet of the camera (and in a square) is a pretty big difference. But more than anything as stated, short cord and needing to run USB cords the distance are the main downside of Rift.

Rift good tracking, Vive great tracking. Rift comfortable, built in audio, actually has customer support so you won't get screwed (good god look at https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ for horror stories). Vive better roomscale.

Both are great.

Also for the random difference for me. My partner hates Cameras/Kinnect, and prefers I don't keep the Rift cameras plugged in so that also pushes me more towards the Vive.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To be perfectly fair, the lighthouses can have some weirdness occur with reflective surfaces in the area (tv, monitors, framed pictures, etc) and will be more than happy to lose tracking if you are in a smaller play area and are close to a wall (due to your body fully blocking the controller), but it's a damned good system.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those that have been waiting out, the Humble Bundle Monthly for next month start with Dirt Rally. So for $12 you can get it now and get some more great games when it fully unlocks.

For $12 a month its been a pretty killer monthly gamebox so I recommend it, but since Dirt Rally has been regularly $20-50 for what seems like ever, getting it for $12 is fantastic.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

That's an excellent price if you missed out on the $20 early access or sales. Dirt 4 isn't expected to have VR at release, so it might be all you can expect to satisfy those rally desires for awhile.

I'd recommend using SS from VR (debug tool or steam VR setting) versus the in-game AA though. You can also change the graphics while on a track to compare fps impact versus visual improvement.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DiRT takes a lot of tweaking to get right, but it's worth it.

HOT TIP: Turn ground cover to low and instantly get a FPS increase.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Since the choice is so similar, I think it really ends up coming down to the fact that the Rift (including the touch controllers and a third camera) is $140 cheaper. Thanks for the advice.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Carsius posted:

Since the choice is so similar, I think it really ends up coming down to the fact that the Rift (including the touch controllers and a third camera) is $140 cheaper. Thanks for the advice.

And you get a bunch of cool free games with it like Dead and Buried and Robo Recall.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

unsurprisingly, higher quality products typically cost more than inferior ones :haw:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bought Soundboxing while it's on the cheap because I've ran Audioshield into the ground with some 20 hours on the clock.

The conclusion I've come to is that some people who make these custom maps are contortionists who can move at twice the speed of a regular man, either that or my goony arse is getting real old. I think it might be the latter :smith:

Dancing to bespoken music maps is awesome and feels great, but as one of those guys who listens to a lot of obscure stuff it's a shame not to have any auto generated stuff. I've got two games that do both styles great though, so I'm pretty well off in the Flailing Like A Moron While Thinking You're A Dancing God genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Can you imagine what supermen gamers would be if everyone had space for an omnidirectional treadmill + Fallout 4 VR