Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

^^^^ Edit : Respecting Moderator request made as I posted.

I mean feel free. I dont care as long as you dont personally attack someone.

If it gets too crazy ill just tell you to go to d&d but meh this is the chat thread.

Thank you for the consideration, though.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Still off sick from work cos it feels like theres slugs having an orgy in my sinuses and the goo keeps running out of my nose non stop. This is bad cos im spending all my time watching youtube videos and now im on gumtree looking at WAY too big mills and lathes and trying to work out how to afford them and get them home into my shop...

Watching Youtube makes me want a full CNC machine shop, but gently caress if I know what I'd actually do with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Hope you guys are all excited for war in Syria.
Yeah well I'm far from a Trump lover but gently caress Assad and his lover Putin and anyone that things gassing civilians is OK. The next few weeks will be an interesting ride.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I really enjoy viewing this thread as the "having a beer in the garage talking about random poo poo while only one of you actually works on a car" thread because then all the political arguing just sounds like my one crazy friend Thomas who believes in the illuminati and lizard people.

I just had a co worker burst into the office yelling WE'RE AT WAR! WE'RE AT WAR!!!!

I didn't acknowledge him at all. Didn't even look at him and finished my fruit salad.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watching Youtube makes me want a full CNC machine shop, but gently caress if I know what I'd actually do with it.

Yeah NYC CNC is NOT a good channel to watch if you have a mere mortals budget...

Im so bored im teaching myself how to use Fusion 360. Slowly getting the hang of it. Means in theory if I had a 3D printer or a CNC mill I could make parts!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

I mean feel free. I dont care as long as you dont personally attack someone.

If it gets too crazy ill just tell you to go to d&d but meh this is the chat thread.

Thank you for the consideration, though.

Believe me, I'd rather be the one working on cars while others jawboned than have another second of the politcial depression session. It's depressing and angering.

The whole world just gone loving insane.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Maybe I'm jaded but I tend to focus heavily on things that I can change, and 99% of the time that's not politics. Seems like it's tabboo to just not care about it, but like whatever man get off my lawn with your dang pamphlets.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just had a co worker burst into the office yelling WE'RE AT WAR! WE'RE AT WAR!!!!

I didn't acknowledge him at all. Didn't even look at him and finished my fruit salad.

Dude needs a hobby.

e: one last thing hop over to DIY and read the bathroom reno thread it's probably the best thing on the forums at the moment.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

e: one last thing hop over to DIY and read the bathroom reno thread it's probably the best thing on the forums at the moment.

Groverhaus 2.0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The bathroom reno thread summed up in a GIF:

Adiabatic posted:

Maybe I'm jaded but I tend to focus heavily on things that I can change, and 99% of the time that's not politics. Seems like it's tabboo to just not care about it, but like whatever man get off my lawn with your dang pamphlets.

I vote, and I encourage people to vote (IMO, if you can vote, but don't, you have no right to bitch about what's going on in the government), but I try not to talk politics. When I do, I wind up hating people.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We love telling people to shut the gently caress up at our bar when they start arguing politics. Or religion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We love telling people to shut the gently caress up at our bar when they start arguing politics. Or religion.

That's policy at every bar I've ever been too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Should be a worldwide policy for every bar on Earth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Once I got on a Lyft line with one passenger in there already, and the driver turns to me and says,
"hi, we were just talking about the value of religion."
:yikes:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Groverhaus 2.0

:catbert:

What's a permit for anyways? Enjoy the structural drain I've placed hundreds of pounds of rock on

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One thing thats interesting about watching youtube machining videos is the interesting disconnect between people who run these CNC shops and the US policitcal arena at the moment

Its that whole thing about trump saying that hes going to bring back the American manufacturing industry and jobs for Americans but then you watch John Saunders tour of the Starrett tool factory and you can see exactly why that idea from trump is going to fall flat on its face- Starrett is a business thats part way towards becoming CNC. They've still got a tonne of old manual machines, but their corporate policy is as they wear out they get replaced by CNC machines. There was one set of machines- Screw makers that are immensely complicated and basically need a person to tend to each machine on a daily basis to operate em. They're being replaced by CNC machines where one guy tends 8 machines during the day. Thats 7 people who's jobs wont exist when the machine breaks. It was interesting to see John gushing about a robot in the machine shop that takes parts, loads them into a machine then unloads em, and how he was excited that Starrett was looking at implementing more robots. Thats people who they dont have to employ.

Forcing American companies to manufacture onshore isnt going to create jobs for people, its going to create jobs, but they'll be in the shops that manufacture CNC machines. A 1st world western country is never going to be able to compete with places like India, China, Bangladesh etc for wages so if they're forced to come back onshore for their manufacturing, they're going to have to find other ways to be price competitive, and thats wages.

I just want machine tools so i can fix poo poo (like Abom79 does) Theres no reason I should have to throw away an entire AC compressor with perfectly good internals because the pulley bearing siezed and wore the alloy snout down. Pull the front housing off, chuck it up, machine it down, machine up a heat fit collar to go over the nose with a new bearing surface and reassemble. $600 compressor repaired for about 3hrs work, a $70 bearing and $1 worth of steel bar stock.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adiabatic posted:

This is me.
Ignorance is truly bliss and unfortunately for my mental health it requires me going 'meh whatever'.

I mean I already do that with my electronics and clothes so why not politics as well?

Alllssoooo I can't believe I've gone this long with out a compressor in my shed. The older I get the more dad I become and it kinda owns.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferremit posted:

One thing thats interesting about watching youtube machining videos is the interesting disconnect between people who run these CNC shops and the US policitcal arena at the moment

Its that whole thing about trump saying that hes going to bring back the American manufacturing industry and jobs for Americans but then you watch John Saunders tour of the Starrett tool factory and you can see exactly why that idea from trump is going to fall flat on its face- Starrett is a business thats part way towards becoming CNC. They've still got a tonne of old manual machines, but their corporate policy is as they wear out they get replaced by CNC machines. There was one set of machines- Screw makers that are immensely complicated and basically need a person to tend to each machine on a daily basis to operate em. They're being replaced by CNC machines where one guy tends 8 machines during the day. Thats 7 people who's jobs wont exist when the machine breaks. It was interesting to see John gushing about a robot in the machine shop that takes parts, loads them into a machine then unloads em, and how he was excited that Starrett was looking at implementing more robots. Thats people who they dont have to employ.

Forcing American companies to manufacture onshore isnt going to create jobs for people, its going to create jobs, but they'll be in the shops that manufacture CNC machines. A 1st world western country is never going to be able to compete with places like India, China, Bangladesh etc for wages so if they're forced to come back onshore for their manufacturing, they're going to have to find other ways to be price competitive, and thats wages.

I just want machine tools so i can fix poo poo (like Abom79 does) Theres no reason I should have to throw away an entire AC compressor with perfectly good internals because the pulley bearing siezed and wore the alloy snout down. Pull the front housing off, chuck it up, machine it down, machine up a heat fit collar to go over the nose with a new bearing surface and reassemble. $600 compressor repaired for about 3hrs work, a $70 bearing and $1 worth of steel bar stock.

The Canadian government has at least admitted there's a crisis coming with automation, and coming very quickly, but it's like the captain of a ship seeing an iceberg coming and saying "well, somebody should do something about that". THAT'S YOU you dumb motherfuckers, you're steering the ship. Retraining loans aren't going to train 10 hammer swinging monkeys to fill 1 button pusher position.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The bathroom reno thread summed up in a GIF:

At least he realises now that's he has done wrong and going to get professionals in.

However it didn't help with that idiot doxxing him.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

The Canadian government has at least admitted there's a crisis coming with automation, and coming very quickly, but it's like the captain of a ship seeing an iceberg coming and saying "well, somebody should do something about that". THAT'S YOU you dumb motherfuckers, you're steering the ship. Retraining loans aren't going to train 10 hammer swinging monkeys to fill 1 button pusher position.

The swift destruction of the transportation industry's employees is going to be harsh if it plays out like we all fear it will.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

The swift destruction of the transportation industry's employees is going to be harsh if it plays out like we all fear it will.

While driving jobs will be very publicly and noticeably lost, behind the scenes accounting, basically the entire back end of banks, back end of insurance companies, almost all data entry, and a ton of other industries will all be quietly whittling their workforce down to 0.

By the time you notice automated trucks on the road, your bank will have halved it's staff without you noticing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The only thing thats going to save Australias transport industry is just how loving EMPTY this place is. Computers still cant get their head around gravel roads and outback roads.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yall should've known trump was gonna let the bombs fly after this cuz its something that Obama didn't do and trumps policy on everything is defined by doing the opposite of whatever Obama did or didn't do

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2Gve7oh_4

I'd totally vote for President Max despite never having been the US.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

I just get mad with all the outright stupidity.

*sigh*

Anyone in my area, feel free to drop in any weekend. I'll be in the garage

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I just get mad with all the outright stupidity

No wonder you're mad all the time!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So... the bathroom DIY thread was almost all AI posters until the dogpile. Nice job, guys.

That's frighteningly bad. And the guy doxxing is just a dick. It's a structural issue, but it's not an immediate threat to life and limb.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I dunno WTF kid sinister was thinking.

He's always quick to talk poo poo in the electrical diy thread but he went off the deep end and doubled down.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

Bullshit you can't change it. Politicians know that if they drive out everyone but the morons, they can do and act whatever and however they see fit. The whole mess we're in isn't because the system is tilted in their favour - and it is, no denying that - but because [u]we let them tilt it against us. [/b]We as a society need smart, moderate people like yourself (and the rest of you guys too) to start re-engaging in a constructive dialogue, and to shout down the morons who want to keep enabling these slimeballs ever more disgusting behaviour. It's the only way out of this hole we've dug ourselves.

Yeah, you're just one person, but did that stop Tank Guy? Here's an utterly fearless dude who literally stood up to the might of the Chinese Army by himself, and while he probably paid for his actions with his life, he made an indelible impression on the entire world in doing so.

And on that note have a good day AI.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bathroon renovation thread.....?

Sorry but wut?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was on a job earlier, I was asked to reinstall all the projection gear and equipment that runs it into a conference space.

I start to install all the projection gear which involves using a great big SDS drill.

"can you stop drilling please, people are complaining"

I tell them I'll just go get my quiet drill

"yeah that'd be great"

Ask me to do something and then kick off when I do it. Friday though so gently caress thissssssssssssss I'm out.

*edit: so I'm firmly with CT on the whole stupidity thing

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Bathroon renovation thread.....?

Sorry but wut?

Check it out in DIY, it's a good 20 minute read right now.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Should get a sticker for your drill that says "QUIET DRILL" and when people complain about the noise you can tell them "just wait until you hear the loud drill!"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrChips posted:

Bullshit you can't change it. Politicians know that if they drive out everyone but the morons, they can do and act whatever and however they see fit. The whole mess we're in isn't because the system is tilted in their favour - and it is, no denying that - but because [u]we let them tilt it against us. [/b]We as a society need smart, moderate people like yourself (and the rest of you guys too) to start re-engaging in a constructive dialogue, and to shout down the morons who want to keep enabling these slimeballs ever more disgusting behaviour. It's the only way out of this hole we've dug ourselves.

Yeah, you're just one person, but did that stop Tank Guy? Here's an utterly fearless dude who literally stood up to the might of the Chinese Army by himself, and while he probably paid for his actions with his life, he made an indelible impression on the entire world in doing so.

And on that note have a good day AI.

I really seriously unironically love your attitude and I hope there are plenty of you in politics. It hasn't affected me enough to get truly mad about so I make a personal decision about what I actually care about and focus on that. You're right, I can change it if I care enough about a particular bit. I just don't currently. I'm passionate about automation and learning how things work, and I exercise that passion to the fullest of my ability. What I guess I'm trying to say is I believe it's okay to focus on your passions and trust that good people with work ethic are taking care of what you don't focus on, including politics. That's a community, right?

Ferremit posted:

That's really neat and reminds me of when I worked at Brembo in Michigan. They dry-machined brake rotor castings and used to have 10-15 people per line, switching out castings between coarse cutting, fine cutting, deburring, drilling, tagging, and point inspection. When I started working there every line consisted of all the operations arranged in a U shape with 2 or 3 FANUC robotic arms moving the parts between them. The ONE tech per line took castings from a pallet and placed them on a conveyor, then took the finished rotor off a second conveyor right next to it. Except in one line, where even THAT job was done by a FANUC robotic arm.

I went into automation shortly after and never looked back.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Sorry for bringing politics into the beers and cars and laffs thread. I was just scared about getting into another war. :cheers:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I took a tour of a brake rotor plant as well. Not brembo but a local one. It's similar, highly automated, hundreds of production lines and only a few people on each line. The whole deal still employs about 1,000 people I think. The foundry that does the castings employs quite a few as well. Someone does have to oversee the robots and make sure cutting tools are in good shape. If even one part got screwed up it was a big deal. The whole operation was pretty much zero waste. Point being, robotics increase productivity and automation does kill jobs, but it doesn't kill all of them. And it has the bonus of keeping quality high.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just interviewed a guy and while I was explaining what our company does, which is make machines that speed up or automate processes, I made a comment about replacing people. He replied with "Well if you're not replacing people, you're the one being replaced."

I hadn't thought about it in such cold evolutionary terms before but it does have a truth to it, sadly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Should get a sticker for your drill that says "QUIET DRILL" and when people complain about the noise you can tell them "just wait until you hear the loud drill!"

That's actually a pretty decent idea :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was on a job earlier, I was asked to reinstall all the projection gear and equipment that runs it into a conference space.

I start to install all the projection gear which involves using a great big SDS drill.

"can you stop drilling please, people are complaining"

"yeah that'd be great"

Ask me to do something and then kick off when I do it. Friday though so gently caress thissssssssssssss I'm out.

*edit: so I'm firmly with CT on the whole stupidity thing

To be fair, every time the office manager/facilities have scheduled some noisy work, it coincides with the office drones needing to take The Most Important Phone Call of the Year and nobody has warned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Automate everything, jobs are slavery with extra steps.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Sorry for bringing politics into the beers and cars and laffs thread. I was just scared about getting into another war. :cheers:
You honestly have nothing to worry about. The missile attack is pure bullshit that was carried out in an attempt to gaslight the national narrative of "Trump is in bed with Russia." This whole thing will likely end with US sanctions against Russia being lifted in exchange for Putin no longer supporting Assad, they all invade Syria and split the oil 50/50.

edit: in conclusion:

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 7, 2017

• Locked thread