Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it wasn't the Mona Lisa, but if you like stuff like Crank and Gamer, you'll have fun with HH

This sums it up well. My biggest complaint is just how ugly the movie was.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked the oddly accented randomly telekinetic bad man and appreciated the world record for Most Sharlto Copleys in a Movie.

Also agree with this completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUutTv-WBfQ

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat you for making this part of my browsing history tars tarkas
:nws:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, Emily Blunt will be in literally anything.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'll say I was being a little overly harsh for the sake of trying to be funny, but Hardcore Henry is a really loving bad movie. Russian Tommy Wiseau and Sharlto Copley are just about all it has going for it; the choreography is mostly flat and uninspired, the visuals are serviceable at best, the script was threadbare even compared to poo poo like The Raid, and honestly I just ended up kind of checking out by the halfway point. It's honestly kinda astounding that I made it to the end.

If you wanna see a good successor to stuff like Crank and Gamer, go watch Officer Downe on Netflix. It rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

French language films don't tend to do so well in the US. The top 4 are:

Amelie (2001): $33m
La Cage aux Folles (1979): $20m
Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002): $11m
La Vie en Rose (2007): $10m

The Artist (2011) racked up $44m in the US and is technically a French film with French stars and a French director and French financing even though it was shot in LA.

I mean, Valerian is made by a French director with French money I think but it's not a French-language film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'll say I was being a little overly harsh for the sake of trying to be funny, but Hardcore Henry is a really loving bad movie. Russian Tommy Wiseau and Sharlto Copley are just about all it has going for it; the choreography is mostly flat and uninspired, the visuals are serviceable at best, the script was threadbare even compared to poo poo like The Raid, and honestly I just ended up kind of checking out by the halfway point. It's honestly kinda astounding that I made it to the end.

If you wanna see a good successor to stuff like Crank and Gamer, go watch Officer Downe on Netflix. It rules.

Hardcore Henry owns.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Punkin Spunkin posted:

drat you for making this part of my browsing history tars tarkas
:nws:

Enjoy your MLP-related Youtube suggested videos for the next six months!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Enjoy your MLP-related Youtube suggested videos for the next six months! spot on the sex offenders watchlist!
More like.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hardcore Henry owns.
hmmmmmmmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJr6hCGA_w
checks out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardcore Henry captures what every other video game movie wishes it could but never does.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, it's great.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

No kidding. She's got a bunch of VA roles plus Mary Poppins lined qup. I'm guessing she needed a literal unicorn chaser aafter Girl On A Train.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, Valerian is made by a French director with French money I think but it's not a French-language film.

Valerian's gonna bomb harder than the Fifth Element, bet.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was expecting it to, but then I remembered that Cara Delevingne is extremely famous and may be able to carry it. It's definitely a huge risk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ruddiger posted:

Fifth Element didn't bomb, though. Have I been McBaned?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

well why not posted:

I was expecting it to, but then I remembered that Cara Delevingne is extremely famous and may be able to carry it. It's definitely a huge risk.

She is?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep, among young women she's a huge draw. Consider that she basically had zero films but managed to show up in a major role in Suicide Squad.

Forty Million Instagram followers. More than Drake or 9gag. 31th most popular.

She's a big deal. Just not amongst goons obviously.

well why not fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 6, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hardcore Henry captures what every other video game movie wishes it could but never does.

If you mean "make a live action Let's Play but without the commentary" then sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Turn a small profit?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

Turn a small profit?

Indeed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The Fifth Element didn't really bomb. And you're probably right, but it's still my most anticipated movie right now besides maybe the new Martin McDonagh one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

well why not posted:

Stars don't carry poo poo, and Cara is not even a star.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How well known of a name is she? I only first heard of her cuz of Ferg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYH1rI_SwKs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, The Fifth Element cost 90 mil and made almost 300 mil.

In 1997 dollars.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How well known of a name is she? I only first heard of her cuz of Ferg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYH1rI_SwKs

Walk in any mall or look at any billboards advertising makeup or jewelry on your way home today and you will see Cara Delevingne making a funny face in a sexy pose guaranteed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sure maybe but she's been in like one movie that want even well received and she was a minor part of it

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fried Watermelon posted:

Walk in any mall or look at any billboards advertising makeup or jewelry on your way home today and you will see Cara Delevingne making a funny face in a sexy pose guaranteed

Those markets and Valerian don't really overlap though. I doubt Valerian clears 80mil in US receipts

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fried Watermelon posted:

I can't not see Helga from Hey Arnold when I see that girl's almost-unibrow.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Shageletic posted:

Stars don't carry poo poo, and Cara is not even a star.

The only thing I've ever seen Cara Delevigne in was a commercial where they pretended I should know who Cara Delevigne is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ChickenMedium posted:

The only thing I've ever seen Cara Delevigne in was a commercial where they pretended I should know who Cara Delevigne is.

The magic of being famous. Sometimes, people just suddenly are.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Suicide Squad was good exposure for Cara Delevingne even if her character had only like one good scene before she became a dancing zombiemancer. Her acting in the Valerian trailer was miles ahead of anything in SS. It looks fun as crap but seems like the type of film that no one properly loves until it is on video and too late.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

well why not posted:

Yep, among young women she's a huge draw. Consider that she basically had zero films but managed to show up in a major role in Suicide Squad.

Forty Million Instagram followers. More than Drake or 9gag. 31th most popular.

She's a big deal. Just not amongst goons obviously.

Cara Delevigne is lovely but she will have a negligible effect on the box office of this movie. Her instagram followers won't bother to see her in a sci fi movie when they can just look at her instagram. Stars these days don't carry movies, the IP does. Marvel, Star Wars etc. Beauty and the Beast wasn't a success because of Emma Watson. Ghost in the Shell, another sci fi like thing flopped with an actual movie star. The only stars that can carry a movie these days are the very few old standards worlds apart from Cara. Basically, if the young women demo aren't interested in Valerian they aren't going to see it because Cara is in it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if her bff taylor swift joins valerian, would the girls go watch her

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't decide who has the crazier eyebrow game: Cara Delevingne or Emilia Clarke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AUac4z2HTU

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 7, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gonz posted:

Yeah, The Fifth Element cost 90 mil and made almost 300 mil.

In 1997 dollars.

And it had legs after the fact so in the end it did pretty well.

Though I am expecting Valarian to be about the same as Fifth Element: great visual design and absolutely terrible everything else. That would match the original comics pretty well. I will also predict that even though it will be a lovely movie, it will be defended by nerds on the Internet for years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the script was threadbare even compared to poo poo like The Raid

I don't know what you're trying to say about The Raid but I don't like it one bit.

Hardcore Henry owns.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Random Stranger posted:

And it had legs after the fact so in the end it did pretty well.

Though I am expecting Valarian to be about the same as Fifth Element: great visual design and absolutely terrible everything else. That would match the original comics pretty well. I will also predict that even though it will be a lovely movie, it will be defended by nerds on the Internet for years.

Do not talk poo poo about Fifth Element, I will fight you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FilthyImp posted:

Harriett (that was the wife right) was the elevator operator in Cousin Larry's building.

Yes, they had a manual elevator in 80-whatever. Yes, the attendant was a black woman.

I think she mentions losing the job early on.

And Home Improvement!

I forget if he ever made it to Boy Meets World though.

Wasn't the whole TGIF lineup a shared universe? I wonder if Disney will try to mine that one for team-up movies when Marvel finally burns itself out.

It's kind of funny these days to imagine a successful and popular Friday night TV lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I anticipate it'll do much better than Jupiter Ascending but probably won't be hugely profitable. I don't think Valerian 2 will be greenlit but I doubt there'll be articles decrying it as a sign of Hollywood's inevitable downfall.

It'll probably be about as successful as Lucy but it has a much, much higher budget.

• Locked thread