Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Bloodplay it again posted:

Mine is the gold/white Destiny TTK with 1TB 7200. The PlayStation stops outputting video after a few seconds but there is very clearly poo poo still going on with the console/drive for another 15-20 sec after putting it in sleep. Then I hit the PS button, the controller LED is solid, and it takes about 7 sec to output video. The Vita and Switch are both much faster because they use solid state storage. The PS4 has maybe 120 hours on it so I doubt it's dying. Never have issues in games. Either way thanks for saying something because I had no idea the option was there and I've been restarting games entirely when going into sleep mode.

Is there a recommended Bluetooth adapter for using Pro and Joycons on the PC? USB or PCI?

it still shouldnt take that long. resuming from sleep might be different based on the game i dont know, ive never even thought about it before because its always so quick when i use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
also the drive shouldnt matter too much, it should be loading most of it from the memory

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stux posted:

i just checked and it took 7 seconds on the spot to go into rest mode

Are you just counting the time it takes to hold down the PS button and hit confirm on Rest Mode? :haw:

:hfive:

(Never do it with IW running in the background. Good God holy poo poo)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
jesus h christ you're comparing a 4-year-old console that uses platter drives that had its sleep mode hacked in in a firmware update to a recently-released console that is essentially a solid-state tablet with HDMI out. Of course the switch is going to blow the PS4 out of the water coming back from and going to sleep. Why is this even a discussion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we all beat zelda already

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Guys my iPad comes back from sleep faster than my big desktop computer clearly the iPad is better???

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Real hurthling! posted:

we all beat zelda already

wouldnt have finished so soon if the drat thing wasnt coming out of sleep so quickly

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tried out the Spaarc Unlimited car in Fast RMX. I assumed all the last three unlocks would be garbage what with having one maxed stat and two very bad ones. Turns out I'm dumb and wrong and using boosts smartly on The Boost Car is awesome.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

robodex posted:

Guys my iPad comes back from sleep faster than my big desktop computer clearly the iPad is better???

To be fair the only posters making a pedantic stink about it are insufferable so...

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have Mario Kart 8 preordered. Should I get Fast RMX? Are they different enough to both be fun / scratch different itches?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

TerraGoetia posted:

I have Mario Kart 8 preordered. Should I get Fast RMX? Are they different enough to both be fun / scratch different itches?

You're going a lot faster in Fast RMX, you have to really learn the tracks, and practice the nuances of moving your car, whereas Mario Kart is going to be generally a fun goof off game that can be harder on higher difficulty settings. Fast RMX is not really about vehicular combat, either, it has this boost polarity mechanic where you're switching from blue to red and trying to nail all the boosts you can. So yeah, I'd say they're different itches. I own Fast RMX and fully intend to get Mario Kart (even though I already owned them both on Wii U).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

fast rmx scratches the f-zero/wipeout itch and is more skill-based than mario kart since there's no items. it's a cool game that feels and looks great and has a fair amount of tracks and cars, but it's definitely pretty thin as far as features go. i think it's worth the $20.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeah, I actually grabbed Fast RMX about a week or two ago after I asked how it was. Was pretty decent and easier to get into than I thought it would be, but it certainly is anemic on things to do. Kinda feels like the heavy weight/top speed machines are pretty terrible at just about everything as far as I can tell in sub and supersonic.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 7, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

robodex posted:

jesus h christ you're comparing a 4-year-old console that uses platter drives that had its sleep mode hacked in in a firmware update to a recently-released console that is essentially a solid-state tablet with HDMI out. Of course the switch is going to blow the PS4 out of the water coming back from and going to sleep. Why is this even a discussion

Yeah but the PS4 is bigger so it should come out of sleep faster because the sleep electrons won't interfere with the awake electrons as much.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

TerraGoetia posted:

Yeah, they're very different. Here's a person who isn't particularly good at Fast playing one of the earlier courses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbf5Ef9CTIw

Fast RMX is about good boost management, mastering leaning and steering, and avoiding the instakill environmental hazards. I'd say it's more challenging, stressful, and faster than Mario Kart.

Cardboard Box posted:

it's a cool game that feels and looks great and has a fair amount of tracks and cars, but it's definitely pretty thin as far as features go. i think it's worth the $20.

This is a fair thing to say, but there's more content coming
https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/838288990826610689

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, they're very different. Here's a person who isn't particularly good at Fast playing one of the earlier courses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbf5Ef9CTIw

That looks depressingly like my skill level, except I don't sneak the win :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is a fair thing to say, but there's more content coming
https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/838288990826610689

that's cool, i'm glad they're gonna be supporting it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Kinda feels like the heavy weight/top speed machines are pretty terrible at just about everything as far as I can tell in sub and supersonic.

It depends so much on the track. I had a string of victories at that level with Guangzhou and Carcharodon (lightweight, high acceleration, low top speed) and then hit a wall where I simply did not have the speed to win the next championship. I generally swap to Willard or Fulchon for straighter, wider tracks where I can really push the top speed, though Spaarc has taught me the magic of boost so maybe I'll start valuing that stat more.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i definitely have the most luck with the high acceleration machines. the super heavy machines in particular i'm just unable to do anything with.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah but the PS4 is bigger so it should come out of sleep faster because the sleep electrons won't interfere with the awake electrons as much.

What's funny is that this is actually a thing in computer hardware but it's like a matter of picoseconds.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
MK 8 Deluxe Battle Mode courses (in German)

No Block Fort or Double Deck :(
pls have DLC cups that come with battle courses.

Video of them playing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrNVviX24w

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Spacebump posted:

MK 8 Deluxe Battle Mode courses (in German)

No Block Fort or Double Deck :(
pls have DLC cups that come with battle courses.

Video of them playing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrNVviX24w

Why on earth would they not have goddamn block fort

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Why on earth would they not have goddamn block fort

Nintendo doesn't know why Battle Mode owned in the old games.

You aren't excited for Struggle Arena?

edit: Doesn't look like the Moon Colony level has altered gravity, didn't expect it to but would have been cool.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I think it's cool that they make new stages while they bring back some stages that haven't been exposed as much

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spacebump posted:

Nintendo doesn't know why Battle Mode owned in the old games.

You aren't excited for Struggle Arena?

That sounds like something that happens at Rush Limbaugh's house.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Graceful Explosion Machine is really fun so far, just started the second planet. Score attack mode will probably keep me occupied for a while as well. Not bad for 13bux.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think it's cool that they make new stages while they bring back some stages that haven't been exposed as much

The reason I liked Block Fort and Double Deck was the multiple layers both levels had. Blasting someone from the top with a well aimed green shell was great. I also liked how scary the bottom level of Block Fort got with shells later in the match. The courses they brought back don't do that as well. Luigi's Mansion is the best for that purpose but still wasn't quite as awesome. I hope Battle Mode rules in this game but will be nervous until I actually try it.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Hopefully they do another DLC pass and put block fort in. The first one was a really good value.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just really hoping there is a "stock" multiplayer battle mode based on survival rather than points, with no time limit. I get that wouldn't be the best for online, but it is the best for local co-op. And I don't think they have that in this.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, lack of stock mode seems like an obvious blemish on an otherwise promising entry.

Misandu posted:

Pretty sure the unlock progression is set. I'm guessing you unlock a new rogue once you move to the second row of heroes.

Bollocks, that does appear to be the case.

Maybe things will change significantly once I complete the victory wheel (one, maybe two more playthroughs).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
For anyone who cares, yooka laylee is out on switch may 2nd. Playtonic did some tweeting. Might wait and see how it performs tho, hope its decent. i dont want to be playing this on anything other than my ultra switch 64, where it belongs.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

For anyone who cares, yooka laylee is out on switch may 2nd. Playtonic did some tweeting. Might wait and see how it performs tho, hope its decent. i dont want to be playing this on anything other than my ultra switch 64, where it belongs.

Fingers crossed. I love me some Mascot games.

Too many games coming out
Apr 28 - Mario Kart 8
May 2 - Yooka Laylee
~Every other indie title under the sun~

:suicide:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: ATTN Aus Goons :siren:

Target has the best deal for Mario Kart if you're buying physical

Valid until 30/4
eShop is $80AUD

Remember that EBGames price matches as long as you have a picture (So save it to your phone)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I so want yookah laylee to be good but IGN gave it a 7, gamespot a 6 :(

At least nintendo is using an acorn risc processor so people can easily port their games. loving mips

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mk8 really should be in your system memory though

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

At least nintendo is using an acorn risc processor so people can easily port their games. loving mips

Yeaaaaaah but that's IGN and Gamespot

Destructoid gave it an 8
Still waiting on the Giantbomb Quicklook review as well.

I think it's going to be an incredibly polarising game, but I'd like to know more about the technical fault side of things more than the gameplay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Infinitum posted:

:siren: ATTN Aus Goons :siren:

Target has the best deal for Mario Kart if you're buying physical

Valid until 30/4
eShop is $80AUD

Remember that EBGames price matches as long as you have a picture (So save it to your phone)

I don't know what kind of crazy calendar you koala jockeys have down there, but I can't wait until whenever the 28th month is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know what kind of crazy calendar you koala jockeys have down there, but I can't wait until whenever the 28th month is.

You mean the rest of the world.
There's more of us than there are of you.

Statistically you're the bass-ackwards bald eagle jockey in this equation. :colbert:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

From what I gathered from the reviews, the game is great if you wanted Banjo Kazooie to have a graphics bump to this day but not have any of the gameplay improvements such as maps or working camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I think it's going to be an incredibly polarising game, but I'd like to know more about the technical fault side of things more than the gameplay.

digital foundry said they'll have a video up next week and that's about as in-depth of a technical analysis as you could hope for, though i'm not sure if the switch version will be factored into that or if that video will come later

• Locked thread