Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What's the main use case for chemical bliss? I read the description and thought of The Culture, but I don't have super-AI minds to compensate for the fact that my population would be spending all their time moving their hands in front of their faces and giggling at the pretty patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
wait, 00_defines changes don't stick? Cause I just did a quickie test and I was able to change the starting date just fine. Is it the more serious stuff that doesn't stick?

Also, you can't build habitats around habitable planets, and tomb world's aren't considered habitable, even when you have tomb world affinity. I fired the horizon signal finisher event, turned earth into a tomb, and now I can build a habitat over it. when finished, it's superimposed over the spaceport, but otherwise works fine. the worm-in-waiting sure is a wacky friend...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Weird. Well here is the important part:

so what exactly is broken?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Soup du Journey posted:

wait, 00_defines changes don't stick? Cause I just did a quickie test and I was able to change the starting date just fine. Is it the more serious stuff that doesn't stick?

My (very limited) understanding is that only one mod can overwrite text files at a time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Beefeater1980 posted:

What's the main use case for chemical bliss? I read the description and thought of The Culture, but I don't have super-AI minds to compensate for the fact that my population would be spending all their time moving their hands in front of their faces and giggling at the pretty patterns.

Well then get on with building super ai minds? :shrug:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Soup du Journey posted:

Also, you can't build habitats around habitable planets, and tomb world's aren't considered habitable, even when you have tomb world affinity. I fired the horizon signal finisher event, turned earth into a tomb, and now I can build a habitat over it. when finished, it's superimposed over the spaceport, but otherwise works fine. the worm-in-waiting sure is a wacky friend...

It's individual changes made on the fly by other mods that don't stick if you personally edit the defines or a mod just over writes the entire files it's fine.

Also chemical bliss is for battle thralls and livestock.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Here's the deal with that defines.lua issue: When it was a .lua file, you could selectively modify its entries by overriding specific lines. Now that it's a text file, you can't. This breaks a lot of mod compatibility where one mod changed one define and another mod changed another. Until this gets reverted, one or the other will stick but not both.

efb-ish

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ugh I'll just quote everything fine I don't know why you guys cant see them

"thread op" posted:

With the release of the Utopia expansion and the Banks update, 00_defines was changed to being a txt file from a lua file, which has had the unfortunate side effect of preventing individual lines in the 00_defines file from being overwritten via another file placed in the defines folder. This practice has been supported by Paradox, and in fact modders have been told to do so as the 00_defines previously had in a header: "for modding, avoid overwriting this file - instead overwrite individual -- keys".

Losing this ability has hurt many mods across the spectrum and additionally has drastically increased the amount of mod conflicts to the point of possibly breaking several mods altogether. Will this be fixed some time in the near future?
-- Skipping some other user posts complaining of the same thing and how this is a personal affront to their very existence --

"Paradox QA guy Gruntsatwork" posted:

Hi everyone, this is a known issue and we're on it right now. Definitely not working as intended right now.

Thanks @Mibri1988 for making me aware of the thread, hope I could stop some of your fears.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Coming to Stellaris modding from Factorio is an unpleasant surprise.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

Coming to Stellaris modding from Factorio is an unpleasant surprise.

And it's still about 10 times less toxic than Skyrim modding.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was referring more to Factorio's API and documentation, but yeah the community's also kinda poo poo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are Ruler ships and stations still in?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ugh I'll just quote everything fine I don't know why you guys cant see them
are the viewing privileges on the official forums super obnoxious or something? i'm looking at my "owned games" (which was really annoying to even find, btw...) and for some reason it says i don't own stellaris or utopia, although it shows plantoids and leviathans just fine. do i need to "sync" again? do i have to set my steam profile as public for that to work? do i need to do this every time i give the swedes a lousy buck?

this is ubisoft-level inscrutable and bad :quig:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It doesn't even make that much sense now that Paradox uses steam. It's a really odd holdover.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Pierson posted:

So if one of the two big problems I had with Stellaris waaaaay back on release was how shallow empire building/development/diplomacy seemed be and how there didn't really seem to be much different between races outside of aesthetics and some modifiers, this is now a great time to consider picking it up?

Empire building and development are much better now, diplomacy is still fairly shallow.

Beefeater1980 posted:

As far as I can tell, the main use for it is to quickly pacify newly conquered or otherwise troublesome pops that you don't plan on enslaving or purging.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Soup du Journey posted:

this is ubisoft-level inscrutable and bad :quig:

When you complain about some microoffence by Paradox you're supposed to use some or all of the following verbiage:

"My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect."
"the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox <did X> tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human."
"completely disregard any historical accuracy"
"shock the entire world with its lunacy"
"Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Beefeater1980 posted:

How can I even use chemical bliss? I researched it late last night and didn't find the option to toggle it before going to bed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, not everyone's aware of that verbiage because they aren't completely aware of that particular blow-up.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

How can I even use chemical bliss? I researched it late last night and didn't find the option to toggle it before going to bed.

Go to the species menu and then to set rights on the species you want to be doped up. It is under living conditions.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That is probably not the right thread to ask this in but how does Steam handle purchases while abroad? I don't really feel like waiting two months for this DLC.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

genericnick posted:

That is probably not the right thread to ask this in but how does Steam handle purchases while abroad? I don't really feel like waiting two months for this DLC.

Check what currency it's showing you. If it's yours then you are in the proper region shop. It should be that way I believe unless you changed any credit card address info. Anyway it is how it has been for me when I travel.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

genericnick posted:

You pay and you get the stuff? Maybe you credit card company would throw up a red flag if you suddenly bought a billion things at once but I don't think Steam would care.

StarMinstrel posted:

Check what currency it's showing you. If it's yours then you are in the proper region shop. It should be that way I believe unless you changed any credit card address info. Anyway it is how it has been for me when I travel.

Oh, regional shops. Hadn't thought about that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

genericnick posted:

You pay in the native currency and price schema of whatever country Steam decides you're in, otherwise it doesn't care at all. I used to travel to the states a couple of times a year and I've never had any trouble with anything I bought while there.

You can but the DLC straight from paradoxplaza, presumably same situation.

Soup du Journey posted:

how hard is it to flip from pacifist to militarist? might be interesting to start as fanatic xenophobe + pacifist with a bunch of unity stacking, do your whole isolationist farmer shtick, and then!! when the time is right!!! do the flip and purge the xenos!!!! :twisted:

Operation Be Friends Or Else has been put on hold due to low influence and me not being at home, I'll update later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So, my first game with random start locations has ended up with me meeting no neighboring empires for the first 30 years, except for the Enigmatic Observers who are randomly giving me free stuff. Then later, my first contact is a group of Peaceful Traders on the other side of the galaxy.

I rather like it. Kind of a chill first game for my Fanatic Materialist/Egalitarians to build up and play with new mechanics. Also my Expansionist/Prosperity combo is just swarming over the galaxy, the private colony ship + full expansion tree lets you spam out colonies like nobody's business.

Edit: I finally for the first time in ever playing Stellaris got to finish the precursor event chain. The 8600 unity was very nice.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 7, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pyromancer posted:

When you complain about some microoffence by Paradox you're supposed to use some or all of the following verbiage:

"My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect."
"the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox <did X> tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human."
"completely disregard any historical accuracy"
"shock the entire world with its lunacy"
"Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them."

I mean, I probably should. Few things trigger me more than obnoxious DRM or data collection schemes. Locking the customer out of what I guess is some tech support or bug reporting or modding subforum until I take a dozen weird steps (including, but not limited to, howling at the moon, and petitioning the pope) is a pretty novel form of abusing me, a loyal and horned up pay pig

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Magil Zeal posted:

So, my first game with random start locations has ended up with me meeting no neighboring empires for the first 30 years, except for the Enigmatic Observers who are randomly giving me free stuff. Then later, my first contact is a group of Peaceful Traders on the other side of the galaxy.

I rather like it. Kind of a chill first game for my Fanatic Materialist/Egalitarians to build up and play with new mechanics. Also my Expansionist/Prosperity combo is just swarming over the galaxy, the private colony ship + full expansion tree lets you spam out colonies like nobody's business.

I'm surrounded by all 4 Fallen Empires in my medium galaxy start, and I have yet to find another "normal" empire. It's a bit spooky.

Possible bug, I gave the fanatic xenophile FE the data of the dead alien race I scanned, and they wanted to put them into the preserve. But there are only the three normal pops, plus one empty alien preserve tile. Seems like the pop didn't spawn.

Mandor
May 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the new ethic attraction mechanic...

I have a single species on something like 5 colonies in the game started yesterday in 1.5 (with Utopia) each with varied combinations of temples, reeducation edicts, governors, ministry, etc.
And obviously they're all different distances from the capital.

All of those factors are supposed to play into ethics attraction at the planet level, however all of my pops on every planet show the exact same attraction percentage to the same ethics down to the hundreth, regardless of their current ethic, planet or faction.

This seems obviously wrong. Here's the explanations I can come up with:

1) Planet attraction modifiers are just bugged/disabled and only the empire-wide modifiers (traditions, traits, civics, etc) are taken into account currently.
2) Only the empire-wide percentages are shown in the pop details panel and any pop-specific percentages are kept under the hood.
(which would be a shame because then there'd be no way to know where you stand with a specific colony).
3) Ethic attraction scores only exist as an empire-wise or species-wide aggregate, so building a temple on one colony affects all pops everywhere very slightly.
(again that would be a shame, it would make the entire thing very abstract and it becomes a matter of sprinkling ethic attraction stuff randomly)
4) I really missed something and/or understood nothing about how this is all supposed to work.

I'm kinda curious to know which it is :)

Also as far as I can tell, there's nowhere to see the list of attraction modifiers applied to a specific pop?
You can see the result percentage, but as opposed to literally everything else in the game, not the detail of how it was calculated? (like, where do I see my temple's effect on a pop?)

Maybe there should be some sort of general "attraction to governing ethics" score on the pop panel that shows and sums up all of the modifiers, kind of like ethics divergence used to be presented, or happiness.

Finally, pacifist has the highest attraction in my empire even though it's not my governing ethic. I understand it's because I haven't gotten into a war yet, so I get a big modifier to pacifist attraction for long term peace (the faction panel doesn't give numbers though).
Still, it does feel sort of wrong considering I've got spiritualist, conformist, some civic I forgot the name of AND harmony traditions (not to mention the planet stuff that may or may not be working).
All this together should give me a pretty crazy boost to my governing ethics attraction

Mandor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So i played a bunch of Utopia/Banks last night and drat, I'm impressed. Got a bit of a problem though.

I'm playing my xenophobic/militaristic Fallen Human empire and I'm right up against a bunch of evil plants that are coincidentally also xenophobic/militaristic and they hate my guts. As a result they declare war on me and seem to utterly crush me. Had to reload the game a few times now and every time I lose. The best strategy I've had so far is to build spaceports everywhere and pray they don't decide to start harassing my mining operations in other systems. I have 3 colonized systems, they have 3 (or 4, I can't tell) and our fleet power is about equal with them having a slight edge (something like 1.4k to 1.5 or 1.6k).

Does anyone have any tips on fleet composition?

-I have corvettes only, red lasers, blue lasers, missiles, level 1 armor, level 1 shields, level 1 reactors, level 2 engines, level 2 combat computers, and afterburners.

-He also only has corvettes but has kinetic weapons, shields, armor(?) and I have no idea what else.

I had been running missiles with afterburners, no shields and as much armor as I can manage but I'm still getting my rear end kicked. Any ideas?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

VirtualStranger posted:

Empire building and development are much better now, diplomacy is still fairly shallow.
Cool, thanks. Do the free and paid DLC deal with the usual 4X problem of a grindingly slow and dull mid/late game where nothing really happens (that was my biggest problem with GalCiv/Imperium Galactica games)? I heard that was what the newest patches were trying to fix by introducing CK2-style internal conflicts and stuff.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Soup du Journey posted:

how hard is it to flip from pacifist to militarist? might be interesting to start as fanatic xenophobe + pacifist with a bunch of unity stacking, do your whole isolationist farmer shtick, and then!! when the time is right!!! do the flip and purge the xenos!!!! :twisted:

Pretty easy, actually! Just make your species strong, that gives you militarist attraction. I'm playing xenophobe/pacifist/egalitarian and I had over 20% militarist attraction for a good while, until I got some +ruling ethic attraction. Pretty sure I could get it back up by going to war. Or just promoting the faction for that matter.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any information that shows how much a colony expands the border and how much a frontier outpost does? It would be useful for planning, but even more so for making sure if I dismantle an outpost thinking a colony now covers it, that the colony actually does cover it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GotLag posted:

Man what is it with modders and being retarded drama queens?

(the guy who makes AlphaMod)

I think I have pretty good modder ego/drama radar and this is one of the reasons I've steered clear of alphamod. You can feel it in their mod descriptions and how they handle bug reports and things.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else think migration is kinda broken? I'm in year 33, and my capital world is constantly at 4/5 empty slots. By the time I get a pop growth, 1 pop migrated and one is halfway through.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

canepazzo posted:

Anyone else think migration is kinda broken? I'm in year 33, and my capital world is constantly at 4/5 empty slots. By the time I get a pop growth, 1 pop migrated and one is halfway through.

I almost sort of like it. Previously my homeworld would be nearly maxed out of pops and buildings by the time I was hitting my 3rd of 4th colony. With slower pop growth and the people migrating much more often (my people are even sedentary) it seems like my homeworld and is never quite full. I don't know how the new system works though, my homeworld has empty buildings and 100% hab and happiness but people migrate away to poo poo holes that were just colonized.

Also I haven't really sperged out and run a full test but sectors seem to be doing ok.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

So uh...does indoctrination not work? I've got two observation posts who've been doing it for years and there's been no change on the pops below. I can't actually tell when I should see an effect as it doesn't really tell me itself how it works.

i dunno how the math behind it works out but you'll get a pop-up that's basically 'hey these guys are embracing [ethos that we like] now' once it triggers

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Same here, I've started to replace most of my capital pops with robots as a result to hopefully stem the tide a bit and get a bit more out of it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Journey posted:

It's super easy, you'll get declared on once or twice and boom, 50%+ militarist attraction.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have just discovered a second Dathnak planet in my current Ironman game. Apparently gas giant life is not so uncommon as we thought!

(Yes everything is exactly the same, which is slightly amusing)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ability to build habitats seem to be accessible too late to be useful when you're boxed between other empires with only few planets.

HiKaizer posted:

I have just discovered a second Dathnak planet in my current Ironman game. Apparently gas giant life is not so uncommon as we thought!
I used to find like 4 or 5 Dathnaks in my games, I think it should be rarer (or I shouldn't play in a mostly empty galaxy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Just downloaded what appears to be a 1.2MB patch. Wonder what it did.

• Locked thread