Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Years of posting in this thread ain't changing my mind on what is readily apparent for anyone with eyes and ears to recognize. It's laughably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Your thoughts betray you. I feel the good in you. The conflict.

edit: I'm just pulling your leg. The prequels are legit awful, especially how they just did another Death Star and then threw in a bunch of teddy bears in that climactic battle. Unforgivable. And that twist about twin siblings? Eesh.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 7, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't like the prequels, but surely there's a more interesting post that can be made than a drive-by shitpost about how the prequels suck?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If only I was driving by. If only I hadn't read every single post in every single Star Wars thread. If only I hadn't read every word SMG ever wrote about reading and blocking or every CNUT cross reference about robot slavery. You can almost fool yourself into thinking these are better than I remembered. And then you hear that kid's loving voice.

Nope.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, too, read the thread, and my opinion about the movies is as follows: I think, that, they're good. I decided to make a post in order to tell you this information.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

If only I was driving by. If only I hadn't read every single post in every single Star Wars thread. If only I hadn't read every word SMG ever wrote about reading and blocking or every CNUT cross reference about robot slavery. You can almost fool yourself into thinking these are better than I remembered. And then you hear that kid's loving voice.

Nope.

I hope you're not sneak dissing Jingle All The Way.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's much more likely that the kids that grew up with the prequels don't give a gently caress about the purity of 40 year old movies.

It's even likelier that a very small subset of people who saw the prequels as children were so dedicated to liking anything with the right brand logo on it that they broke their brains convincing themselves that the films' apparent crappiness was actually a subversive act of genius

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hey CD. Just popping in for a bit to get on record that the usual cast of war-humping D&D dullards are going to get humiliated and learn nothing again. But back on topic: the obese aspergers toy billionaire who got so owned by thirdhand whispers of criticism that he bitterly quit commercial filmmaking altogether is a brilliant iconoclast and only I, an adult man who literally feels obligated to like mass-market consumer entertainment under a certain brand, can see it

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
DAE think that guys who don't love the prequels are just irrationally attached to something and can't admit it?? anyway, trip report: my fifth time forcing myself to watch Ewoks: Battle For Endor because It's Star Wars i think i started to like it when i realized it's an extremely subtle commentary about how i want to kill my father and have sex with my mother

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

It's even likelier that a very small subset of people who saw the prequels as children were so dedicated to liking anything with the right brand logo on it that they broke their brains convincing themselves that the films' apparent crappiness was actually a subversive act of genius

Speaking for myself, I did not care for TPM very much when I first viewed it, and AotC baffled me. I did not see RotS in theaters. I only revisited the films around four or so years ago, when The Force Awakens was first announced.

I did change my opinion of the films on a second viewing, and I now think the films are quite good. I do not think the films are a subversive act of genius.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

Speaking for myself, I did not care for TPM very much when I first viewed it, and AotC baffled me. I did not see RotS in theaters. I only revisited the films around four or so years ago, when The Force Awakens was first announced.

I did change my opinion of the films on a second viewing, and I now think the films are quite good. I do not think the films are a subversive act of genius.

some people enjoy being peed on, and as a man who does not kinkshame, i accept this.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Also the originals were bad movies with extremely bad acting and directing and writing in addition to the surprising number of cool ideas and fantastic art direction to go along with them.

Edit: Tezzor having a preemptive meltdown.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 7, 2017

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

i think it's important to note that by the time they signed christensen to play the role lucas literally hadn't even written the script yet, which might have been partially why bigger actors like dicaprio and joshua jackson turned down the role. he wouldn't even have it until like three weeks before production. christensen just signed on sight unseen. it's clear that he was shocked at the eventual dreck and it's sad that he chose to put his faith in Lucas over his own better judgment instead of challenging him

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

Also the originals were bad movies with extremely bad acting and directing and writing in addition to the surprising number of cool ideas and fantastic art direction to go along with them.

Edit: Tezzor having a preemptive meltdown.

i agree. when people say they don't like getting pissed on i point out that they are hypocrites for taking showers, which also get you wet and unlike human urine are often not at a temperature perfectly calibrated to the human body

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tezzora posted:

i agree. when people say they don't like getting pissed on i point out that they are hypocrites for taking showers, which also get you wet and unlike human urine are often not at a temperature perfectly calibrated to the human body

Referring to the weird three posts in a row before the really weird piss one.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

Referring to the weird three posts in a row before the really weird piss one.

the first two and a half star wars films are excellent, still hold up, and spawned a sprawling franchise that still is a cash cow to this day despite the fact that it's mostly crap by volume. to whatever extent they have flaws in their acting, direction and writing, they are much better in these areas than the prequels, which is not saying much in itself as the latter are some of the worst big-budget movies ever made.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tezzora posted:

some people enjoy being peed on, and as a man who does not kinkshame, i accept this.

No you don't. You just don't say otherwise because you want to look cool and accepting

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzora posted:

Hey CD. Just popping in for a bit to get on record that the usual cast of war-humping D&D dullards are going to get humiliated and learn nothing again. But back on topic: the obese aspergers toy billionaire who got so owned by thirdhand whispers of criticism that he bitterly quit commercial filmmaking altogether is a brilliant iconoclast and only I, an adult man who literally feels obligated to like mass-market consumer entertainment under a certain brand, can see it

Tezzora posted:

DAE think that guys who don't love the prequels are just irrationally attached to something and can't admit it?? anyway, trip report: my fifth time forcing myself to watch Ewoks: Battle For Endor because It's Star Wars i think i started to like it when i realized it's an extremely subtle commentary about how i want to kill my father and have sex with my mother

Personally, I don't like Star Wars in general, but the prequels are definitely a lot worse than the originals. The new movies are good, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Schwarzwald posted:

I really loved the prequels as a kid when I first saw them, but then I got a little bit older, read more about them on the internet, and started agreeing with all the usual criticisms. I sort of left Star Wars alone around 2007. Didn't read the new books, didn't watch the Clone Wars show. But I still considered myself a fan and would check up on the Star Wars threads here every now and then. I did see the RLM reviews, and I thought they proved there were a lot of problems with the prequel films.

The news of the sale got me to follow things a little more closely, so I posted in the thread occasionally. And a long while before TFA came out, I both watched The Clone Wars and rewatched all the films—partly because I thought things people said in the CD thread were real dumb. So I was really surprised upon rewatching the prequels to find myself thinking those people were kind of right. And now I agree that the prequels are good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have now, and always, thought Phantom Menace was a good movie and as I've grown I've grown to enjoy AotC a lot more whereas when I was younger I just did not like it at all. RotS was always solid, the opening still is one of my favorite bits of Star Wars.

The Force Awakens really solidified my like of 1-3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I feel bad for the people who can't enjoy the prequels but still insist they like Star Wars.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

I feel bad for the people who can't enjoy the prequels but still insist they like Star Wars.

I feel bad for people who feel they need to "like Star Wars" so much they have to force themselves to like the prequels

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 7, 2017

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
that this argument is predicated on being an idiot brand zombie is bad enough on its own, but they're so down the rabbit hole that their only way to even process criticism of the prequels is to declare that the critic is just another kind of idiot brand zombie like them, but the bad kind

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw&t=1083s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You watched this?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I enjoy the OT + TFA because they're fun and nostalgic, I enjoy the prequels because I live for detatched, ironic memes and weird high-budget outsider art.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

You watched this?

Ahahaha

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

I enjoy the prequels because I live for weird high-budget outsider art.

This, but unironically.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

me too thanks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My love for the prequels is conditional on them being Star Wars, which they succeed at even more so than the OT, which most "fans" wildly misinterpret (see: all of the jettisoned EU).

Prequels haters are more often than not simply horrified at encountering Star Wars in their Star Wars, bold and in their face where they can't ignore it, and identify these features as faults inserted by the villainous hack George Lucas.

Jar Jar Binks is good.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

You watched this?

sure. does it not have enough incoherent blithering for your tastes

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

My love for the prequels is conditional on them being Star Wars, which they succeed at even more so than the OT, which most "fans" wildly misinterpret (see: all of the jettisoned EU).

Prequels haters are more often than not simply horrified at encountering Star Wars in their Star Wars, bold and in their face where they can't ignore it, and identify these features as faults inserted by the villainous hack George Lucas.

Jar Jar Binks is good.

i'm not sure if this is sincere or not but either way you could make a sincere argument that low-grade, poorly-made, derivative, slapdash and childish crap is Really What Star Wars is About, since that (you mention the EU) is definitely most of it by volume

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

Jar Jar Binks is good.

I feel like we already determined ages ago that nobody actually likes Star Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sassassin posted:

Jar Jar Binks is good.
I also like Star Wars movies. They're pretty good.

Memo to self: Add Robin Hood, Lawrence of Arabia, Gunga Dinn to Hyper Nerdlinger Order.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've yet to come across a Star Wars I didn't like. I didn't have much truck with the EU though, and besides hearing that it was mostly bad, there's too much of it to get into now.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of war, is the smug declaration that Attack of the Clones is a subversive critique of the Iraq War affected at all by the fact that the movie was released before the Iraq War and written and shot not just before the Iraq War, not just before the Afghanistan war, but indeed even before 9/11, and if so, why would demonstrable reality begin to make a difference now

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezzora posted:

sure. does it not have enough incoherent blithering for your tastes

It's literally a bunch of random thoughts cut together rapid-fire.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like we already determined ages ago that nobody actually likes Star Wars.

I like Star Wars. I like Jar Jar Binks, I like Watto's hat, and I like deferring motions to allow committees to investigate the validity of all claims, including this one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I also like Star Wars movies. They're pretty good.

Memo to self: Add Robin Hood, Lawrence of Arabia, Gunga Dinn to Hyper Nerdlinger Order.

And Oliver Twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

I've yet to come across a Star Wars I didn't like. I didn't have much truck with the EU though, and besides hearing that it was mostly bad, there's too much of it to get into now.

Very little of the EU had anything in common with the Star Wars films beyond the most superficial elements (character names, props), which is why people with large collections of Stackpole and Timothy Zahn paperbacks are often the most vehement prequel haters.

• Locked thread