Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Thanks for the pistol clarification

Also: any fun, troll-tastic ideas for cultists in an Alpha Legion army? They can already infiltrate, but I want to do something hilarious with them, like with one of the Alpha Legion artifacts (mindveil gives a squad an instant 3d6 movement) or with some psyker power.

Best things I can come up with on the spot:

Roll a lost and the damned formation / sons of alpharius so your cultists get to come back in reserves if you roll 4+ when they die. If your leader dies, you can pull many heads of the hydra and make the cultist champion the leader, and as long as you roll 4+ you'll never be wiped out or lose your leader for real :cheeky: You could get really trollface with this and intentionally run your leader head first into a suicide attack that you know he's going to die from, just to laugh when your opponent doesn't get anything for killing the warlord as you get to pick a new one, which also lets you re-roll the warlord trait. Dunno about that being effective though. Also the alpharius formation gives your dudes shrouded which will help keep cultists alive.

I'm spartacus Omegon!

No, I'm Omegon!

No, I'M Omegon!!

Also I guess hope you roll a 5 on the Alpha Legion Warlord Traits, stick your leader in a big huge blob of cultists and go berzerk on people? FNP and Furious Charge on cultists could be fun.

Icon of Insurrection gives cultists within 12" Zealot USR which gives them fearless and reroll to-hit on first round of combat. Tasty tasty!

Mindveil could be good for getting out of trouble if you do something silly like the above leader in a blob of cultists. It lets you run in and smash dudes and then peace out of assault for free the next turn too. They don't get to consolidate either so you could intentionally fight somebody, force them all to line up, then peace out and then strafe them with a helldrake... Plus this with the Icon means you could trigger "first round of combat" over and over. :) That definitely sounds like Alpha Legion shenanigans. Attacking and retreating constantly to confuse the gently caress out of the enemy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Thank you badcast for Thursday release. Means that I have it to listen to tonight on way home from work giving me a reason not to massacre my work colleagues with my stapler. You have saved many lives this day with your off colour ham-humour. Now I have something to live for at least for this Friday.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

JackMack posted:

Surely that would favour clustering your guys closer together to create a smaller footprint to benefit from wider scatters.

If you really want to game the system you could put them on square bases to achieve a more snug fit.

<Snip>

The death thread were right. Get your hats and coats chaps, it's the apocalypse.

Sure, but for a Horde, that comes with it's own other downsides - Off the top of my head; Usually horde units prefer melee, for example, and being snug means less opportunities to be in charge range. It'd also depend how units interacted with cover rules, too.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
You are absolutely right, it would take away horde's ability to occupy space preventing deepstrikers, line of sight , and lots of other benefits. I was more being a dick to make a silly tin foil hat age of the emperor joke that wasn't funny.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh...

...Well then.

:hfive::

E: I would like to see one of the older Ork rules just become baseline - Units don't block LOS, but they just improve the Save (Cover, just armour, whatever, abstract that poo poo) for units behind them. It makes Grots/Gaunts have more purpose in line with their description, and anything that makes baseline Tyranid Warriors appear (who are so drat cool, and have basically always been poo poo) is a good thing.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I think I'll take two ML3 sorcerers with geomortis for the Alpha Legion list. That, combined with mindveil and icon of insurrection will make me have so much fun with ginormo blobs of 35 infilitrating cultists armed with flamers, especially since I'm guessing the flamers activate for extra hits if they charge cultists that get mindveiled out of combat

Meanwhile, if I get worldwrithe as a power, I can move all the terrain pieces to my side of the board and completely cover up my havocs

:haw:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I think this is where the wariness of the new edition comes in. What we want is the sweet spot between the over complexity and bloat of the current system and an over simplified flavourless but quick game. Strea lined is great but bland is not

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They certainly pared down the Serious Injury table from NM:

Serious Injury Table (1d6)

1 - Dead... or Worse: 1-3 Dead; 4-6 Captured by enemy kill team, play Rescue Mission
2 - Head Wound: Gains Frenzy, misses next game
3 - Painful Recovery: Gains Hatred for member of enemy kill team, misses next game
4-5 - Full Recovery
6 - What Doesn't Kill You: Ready for next game, gains an advance from the Advance Table

Advance Table (2d6):

2-3: Hardy: Choose +1 Toughness or +1 Wound
4 - Fierce: Choose +1 Strength or +1 Attack
5-9 - Skilled: Generate a new Skill
10 - Quick: Choose +1 Initiative or +1 Move
11-12 - Deadly: Choose +1 Weapon Skill or +1 Ballistic Skill

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Lol at getting a skill/attribute increase from being taken out of action. I mean in Necromunda you could get exp or cool scars but you were much more likely to get PTSD or lose an arm.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You have a 1/24 chance of losing a model to it dying from an injury. That's significantly lower than I thought it was.

Honestly the serious injury table should probably also be 2d6, and have more negatives on it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CyberLord XP posted:

Lol at getting a skill/attribute increase from being taken out of action. I mean in Necromunda you could get exp or cool scars but you were much more likely to get PTSD or lose an arm.
You could still get increases from being taken out in NM. Since you get points for participating, there was a chance of a level increase even if you got a traumatic brain injury.

This chart speeds up play significantly and also can be taken to represent that your professional soldiers actually receive medical care after taking an injury. As a ganger, you're going to get a cigarette butt stuffed into your bullet hole and be immediately kicked out onto the street.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
On the other hand, if you're running a max size Guard killteam and all of them get dropped every single game, one will die every two and a half games. That's ridiculously low.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Strobe posted:

You have a 1/24 chance of losing a model to it dying from an injury. That's significantly lower than I thought it was.

Honestly the serious injury table should probably also be 2d6, and have more negatives on it.

I believe that's a 1:12 chance. I was never good at probabilities, but I think it would be (1/6)(1/2)=1/12.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's meant to be more cinematic.

Going out of action doesn't necessarily mean sustaining a fatal injury, being stunned for ten minutes would take you "out of action" for the duration of these games.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

berzerkmonkey posted:

I believe that's a 1:12 chance. I was never good at probabilities, but I think it would be (1/6)(1/2)=1/12.

You have to roll 1-3 on a d6 to even see if you have to roll on the serious injury table. If you do, you have to fill a 1 to have a chance of dying. If you do, you have to roll a 1-3 on a d6 to actually die.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The full SWA rules are up on 4chan, if you are interested.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The full SWA rules are up on 4chan, if you are interested.

Would you mind posting a link? I would rather not browse on the Chan for it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

/tg/ is pretty tame especially since they kicked all the Quest boards out, also I imagine directly linking to the thread or the rules counts as filesharing/piracy so it may be a no-no

just look for the 40k general

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

I imagine directly linking to the thread or the rules counts as filesharing/piracy so it may be a no-no

Yeah good point.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The shadow war armageddon thread.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So, full breakdown of casualties. 24 possible outcomes

1: Dead
2: Captured
3-4: Gain Frenzy, miss next game
5-6: Gain Hatred, miss next game
7-10: You're fine
11-12: Extra skill up
13-24: You're fine

2/3 possible results is "nothing happens". I'm 90% sure you only check one per model, regardless of the number of wounds you took during the game.

I had a Guard try to knife fight a Grey Knight. Ended up being wounded (no armor save) six times. End of game result: nothing happened. He just got up and walked it off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that seems uhhhhhhh kind of dumb

I understand not wanting it to be too lethal but that seems excessive

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Strobe posted:

You have to roll 1-3 on a d6 to even see if you have to roll on the serious injury table.
You are correct - I missed that.

Strobe posted:

So, full breakdown of casualties. 24 possible outcomes

1: Dead
2: Captured
3-4: Gain Frenzy, miss next game
5-6: Gain Hatred, miss next game
7-10: You're fine
11-12: Extra skill up
13-24: You're fine
Where is that table from? I'm looking through the scans now and am only seeing the 1d6 table (which is what I typed previously.)

EDIT: Ok, not a table, just a breakdown. I get it.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 7, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I put it together based on the combinations of possible results of every roll, reduced as far as I could to make it reasonable. The 1-3/4-6 roll on the 1 result on the table was reduced to 1 and 2, in order to compare relative probability.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Found it here, thx.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Strobe posted:

You have to roll 1-3 on a d6 to even see if you have to roll on the serious injury table. If you do, you have to fill a 1 to have a chance of dying. If you do, you have to roll a 1-3 on a d6 to actually die.

This is only for your Fighters that were Downed but not forced Out of Action by the time the game ends. All Out of Action Fighters have to roll on the table, and it's not that hard to take Fighters Out of Action considering that each Wound inflicted beyond lethal causes them to make an Injury roll

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Is there a version that is better than the photos of the pages? I want high quality stolen rules dammit!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phyresis posted:

This is only for your Fighters that were Downed but not forced Out of Action by the time the game ends. All Out of Action Fighters have to roll on the table, and it's not that hard to take Fighters Out of Action considering that each Wound inflicted beyond lethal causes them to make an Injury roll

That's a relief. Fortunately, despite not seeing that part, the only guy I had roll on the table was the one who got put out of action. The two that went toe to toe with the Grey Knight both rolled no 6s, and since they charged at the same time neither was taken out of action by the CC.

It's still a bit silly, just not as much as I thought.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a version that is better than the photos of the pages? I want high quality stolen rules dammit!

That's it for now. Wait until people actually get their copies.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Strobe posted:

That's a relief. Fortunately, despite not seeing that part, the only guy I had roll on the table was the one who got put out of action. The two that went toe to toe with the Grey Knight both rolled no 6s, and since they charged at the same time neither was taken out of action by the CC.

It's still a bit silly, just not as much as I thought.

A one in six chance of a Fighter that was taken Out of Action in a game dying outright was probably deemed too high, and I agree. Since you can't reduce a single dice roll's "critical failure" chance any further, standard GW procedure is to halve the odds by adding another coin flip. Once that was settled they obviously had to decide what the odds of a merely Downed Fighter getting hosed up should be, and half again seems to be the most obvious and easy solution. It's just another product of the lack of granularity of a D6 system.

don't forget that Fighters that were Downed from a 1-on-1 close combat are automatically taken OoA

e: While big rng tables like they used in Necromunda are fun, it makes sense for them to stick to D6 tables for the base game. It's trivial to house rule in fun Necromunda poo poo like that anyway

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 7, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yup, we saw that part. It's how my other guy actually got taken out. :v:

The granularity problem of a d6 can be mitigated by making it 2d6. GW even did that with the advance table. Why not here, too?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

The granularity problem of a d6 can be mitigated by making it 2d6. GW even did that with the advance table. Why not here, too?

What's the actual percentage you want here? Like, what percentage of the time are you suggesting that a downed fighter should be killed?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Strobe posted:

They want to limit the number of 2D6 rolls because it's confusing if there are too many in relation to regular rolls (was that a 2D6 or a 1D6 roll, I forget) but more importantly you can do a bunch of D6 rolls at once whereas 2D6 have to be done one by one which will slow down the game significantly. It's fine on Terminator armour because how many Terminators are you going to see playing SW:A? They gotta be playing SM or GK to begin with, and then bother to spend a cache on an operative, people are talkin like you're gonna be throwing caches around but you know those are Vee Pees, right? Possessing 15 caches and winning a mission is how you win a standard campaign, obviously we're going to create our own scenarios, but still

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's the actual percentage you want here? Like, what percentage of the time are you suggesting that a downed fighter should be killed?

I think you could reasonably include a modified for number of (more than lethal) wounds taken. Actual percentage I'd say around 10-15% or so.

Maybe something like: for every 2 additional wounds (after your W), replace the next lowest number on the serious injury table with Dead/Captured. It seems silly that the guy who took one lucky hit from a lasgun at long range and the guy who took six wounds from a Grey Knight's force halberd have the same chance of dying after the battle.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

I think you could reasonably include a modified for number of (more than lethal) wounds taken. Actual percentage I'd say around 10-15% or so.

Maybe something like: for every 2 additional wounds (after your W), replace the next lowest number on the serious injury table with Dead/Captured. It seems silly that the guy who took one lucky hit from a lasgun at long range and the guy who took six wounds from a Grey Knight's force halberd have the same chance of dying after the battle.

I'm of the mind that 10% is too high, but I see where you are coming from.

Your secondary point isn't good design, though--too many silly arguments/questions about whether weapon A is more lethal than weapon B, and much easier to solve by just including a modified Instant Death rule that creates more lethal takedowns if a weapon doubles your toughness or, like a force weapon normally does, causes Instant Death**

**Note: I have no idea if these are already in the game's rules as I haven't read the SW:A rules

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's possible to get backup after "lethal" wounds, so my suggestion above isn't for wounds done at once or with certain weapons, just the number of wounds taken beyond your starting number of them from any source.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

It's possible to get backup after "lethal" wounds, so my suggestion above isn't for wounds done at once or with certain weapons, just the number of wounds taken beyond your starting number of them from any source.

Sure, but your reasoning behind it was still lasguns vs. Force Halberds.

Either way, the wound-tracking you have to do in your version isn't good. I see where you're coming from, but the implementation you're suggesting means keeping track of total wounds dealt to every model for the entire game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My example was one versus six first, lasgun versus force halberda distant second. In a way, we already do track it like that. If you manage to get back up, you get -1WS/BS for the rest of the game. Same idea there, though this would also track "overflow", which currently isn't.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JackMack posted:

Thank you badcast for Thursday release. Means that I have it to listen to tonight on way home from work giving me a reason not to massacre my work colleagues with my stapler. You have saved many lives this day with your off colour ham-humour. Now I have something to live for at least for this Friday.

It was just a bonus episode, so expect another next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I'm gettin a little confused by this discussion; when you play a game with someone and your units get wounded and you take them off the field, there's a chance they die so you can't use then the next time you play somebody? And some units get skills and levels after a game, do those transfer to the next time you play somebody?

• Locked thread