Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, thanks.

By the way, when I stopped playing before, OSBs were just becoming a thing. How are they? Like, is it worth using Cloud solely for his? I mean, his in particular seems a bit lackluster compared to others that have more effects, I suppose, but, yeah.

Also, has the meta/general strategy shifted much, or is it still Wall, Hastega, and maybe Boostga for all the toughest stuff? Anything important I should know?

I'm pretty new at coming back myself so mostly I'll defer to other people for this, but seconding KatanariSword in that a decent healer Burst that can spray healing when you need it is really good to the point of essential; getting one during the festival dramatically increased what I was capable of, more than any other single upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So does anyone who has Orlandu's OSB and BSB still make use of honing up a Full Charge, or have you found that OSB->BSB->CMD1 murder is better? Given that it's holy and I have a +holy robe in addition to his sword I have to imagine the CMD1 out damages full charge by a solid amount in those cases where both aren't going to just hit 9999x4 constantly.

Right now my default setup on Orlandu is the usual Lifesiphon + Saint's Cross and Ace Striker for faster OSB build up (and I still tend to hit the cap or drat close to it since by the time Orlandu's OSB fires, Vaan's BSB and CMD2 have been applied along with full break).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, I don't have a healer Burst yet. I do have a few Medicas, including Eiko's Reraise Super and Hastega normal ones, though. I'll need to look through what else I have; I also have Beatrix's gloves and Bartz's SSB, but those are defense boosters and the former competes with her Burst, and Zidane's SSB, which lowers the enemy's attack... Oh, I have Mog's spear. That sort of counts? (Using an RW seems better still probably.)

Ah well. Thanks again for the tips. I'll remember that.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zurai posted:

It stacks, although you don't really want to use a SB on a character with no Lifesiphon/Wrath access instead of just using an ability if your goal is just to get a blink stack.

He's my only source of hastega in realm iv, so he'll be popping it 1st go anyways.

Nihilarian posted:

my main problem with Sanguine Cross is that the damage you do to yourself counts against medals. If they fixed that I'd consider making it again.

Nah, they tweaked the medal requirements. Even with me loosing a dude and being near death constantly, I can clear a battle with like 3 medals lost at the most.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 7, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does anyone who has Orlandu's OSB and BSB still make use of honing up a Full Charge, or have you found that OSB->BSB->CMD1 murder is better? Given that it's holy and I have a +holy robe in addition to his sword I have to imagine the CMD1 out damages full charge by a solid amount in those cases where both aren't going to just hit 9999x4 constantly.
Full Charge is 4.68x damage over 4 hits; Orlandu's command 1 is 4.0x over 4 hits but Holy as you noted so +Holy pushes that up further, as well as having a ATK/DEF break attached.

I have Power Break as my second ability on him because it was my way to fit -ATK on the team because I have Ramza with Lifesiphon+Full Break. Powerchain would be my choice for more damage since that gets around the long OSB cast time

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 7, 2017

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crafted Curada and Meltdown, killed Necrophobe in phase 2 (?? go Orlandu I guess?), crafted Affliction Break.

I didn't think I could make Omega Drive also, but I forgot the nightmares drop crystals, so I may be able to after all. Going to whack Valigarmanda and Omega tomorrow and craft them both if I can find the other fire crystals for omega.

Now how useful a bunch of R1 6* abilities are really, I dunno (other than affliction break anyway). If I give Alph R3 Titan and R1 Meltdown he gets... five ability uses :eng99:

I guess there are probably some situational places where they'd come in handy.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
two more characters got added to the game that got Record Dive before Mog and Eiko got theirs

I mean jesus, the last FF9 event would have been the perfect time to slip Eiko's into the game, right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And for the abilities of the secret VI characters:

Umaro
Combat 5/Monk 5/Sharpshooter 5
Dagger,Hammer,Fist,Thrown
Light Armor,Bracer

Gogo
Combat 5/Black Magic 5/White Magic 5
Dagger, Sword, Rod, Staff
Hat, Helm, Light Armor, Robe, Bracer

Shadow's USB has him reminisce a bit before doing his ninja thing. Interceptor does the second added hit if he's got two blink stacks!
Setzer's USB reveals what's better than all 7s on the reel. The added breakdowns are color-coded, at least.
Umaro's BSB is a frosty team-up with the Mog Squad.
Umaro's SSB has him raid the cherry stash for a power-up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Exdeath and Core Viking finally have a buddy in the No Hat club.

Also I wonder how Sabin feels that the other monk in the realm has access to back-row weaponry and is thus actually a little better in a vacuum.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guess that's one way to do Gogo.

Has there ever been a character with a viable mage or healer BSB/OSB/USB that can use Lifesiphon? Though I guess it's reasonable to expect his SBs to be bizarre nonsense or milquetoast hybrid things.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

iPodschun posted:

Full Charge is 4.68x damage over 4 hits; Orlandu's command 1 is 4.0x over 4 hits but Holy as you noted so +Holy pushes that up further, as well as having a ATK/DEF break attached.

I have Power Break as my second ability on him because it was my way to fit -ATK on the team because I have Ramza with Lifesiphon+Full Break. Powerchain would be my choice for more damage since that gets around the long OSB cast time

This. I give him his TG Mode RM, Lifesyphon and Powerchain. I build 2 bars then OSB into BSB and chainsaw. :shepface:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I guess that's one way to do Gogo.

Has there ever been a character with a viable mage or healer BSB/OSB/USB that can use Lifesiphon? Though I guess it's reasonable to expect his SBs to be bizarre nonsense or milquetoast hybrid things.

There are plenty that can use Wrath. It provides a little more SB gauge to make up for the 450 damage back row rod hits you miss out on.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think Gogo could be fun if he had, granted as a gimmick, a relic soul break which had him use a completely random soul break. Have this include all soul breaks, unique soul breaks, SSB's, BSB's, OSB's, and USB's. If technically possible, overlay the Gogo sprite overtop the character in the animation.

It would be the best combination of completely useless but still glorious.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
ALL THE BANNERS ARE BACK. OH MY GOD.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Holy poo poo, go Dena.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I had Mythril saving plans, I...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Geocities Homepage King posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Every Orbfest Phase is on too. I can't..

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

LET'S loving GO, I DIDN'T NEED MYTHRIL ANYWAY :black101:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I thought I got out...but they pulled me back in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't know what banner to pull on :ohdear:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Tried to get the Claws again, didn't pull it off:

But it's still a good runner up prize!

Look at all those lousy 3* though

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Seems like a scam for dupes to me.

Argh I am torn between farming orbfest for hones or farming out story dungeons at half price for stamina. I have a ton of 5* things I want to push to r2, but also am still sitting at 110 stamina with about 2/3 of classic and just a scattering of elite dungeons done.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've already done all the pulls I was going to do

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Something I forgot to mention when y'all were helping me with my team was that I pulled Keeper's Frock Coat for Tyro at the start of the event. So between that, Ramza with Shout, White Materia on Aerith and Tenets of the Fayth on Yuna I have like four decent options across the support / white mage spectrum.

Right now my team is Ramza, Aerith, Beatrix, Cloud and DK Cecil. The last two don't have any special equipment and it's frustrating leaving people who do have SBs on the bench, but I need to prioritise damage dealers.

e: I guess my question is, how hard should I whale on banner 1 hoping for Sephiroth's gear?

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 7, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I'm pulling on that sweet, sweet WoFF banner instead.

Lann just kicked Thancred out of the fire party.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the most annoying thing about Bluestacks is when they ask you to install poo poo in the middle of doing something else

Also, Bartz OSB and Laguna's gun :toot:

I'll probably be grabbing Bartz' enwind SB off the whatever select banner when that comes up. Not really sure what to do with Laguna's boostga, though, since I have better alternatives for general purpose and my 8 Cid team is mage meta by virtue of having Edea and Quistis bursts. Maybe I'll make it a mixed team, I need Irvine for breaks anyway.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

And here I was thinking I could let this game lay fallow for a while and then orbfest comes back. Whee!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I remember I was going back and forth on whether I should have done a third pull on Phase 3 before Phase 4 showed up, and now that I got what I wanted out of Phase 4 in four out of my budgeted five pulls, I can actually go back and perhaps do that third pull. Hmm. Or I could save up. There's a nice little lucky banner coming up this weekend.

The Return Of Orbfest is sweet though. NEVER GONNA DIE! But I will finish World of Grymoire first, it won't take that long to get the dungeons that cost stamina out of here.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Welp, I figured I would be able to make a lot of progress on the Realm dungeons and get a bunch more stamina, but alas, that was not to be. At least I got the Special Missions done yesterday.

I was able to re-score each of the 5 Banners according to the system I built and determined that Banner 4 was my best choice to pull on again. 1/11, I got Agrias's OSB from it! :bubblewoop:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Holy poo poo I did it.

Grabbed OKs OSB from this banner extension and it gave me the final push I needed.

Edit:
My party setup was
Minfillia with her last stand SSB, Full Break and Wrath. Battleforged.
Tyro with his BSB and SG, Exhausting Polka(never used) and wrath. Mako Might.
Onion Knight with his BSB and OSB, Magic Breakdown and Wrath. Ace Striker
Yuna with her BSB, Curaja and Protectga. Lionheart.
Vanille with her BSB, Curaja and Shellga. Dr Mog's.
RW: Deployment Tactics.

First round was getting up all the mitigation and both breakdowns. Then I had Vanille use her BSB as soon as the first boundless ultima went off.
After that it was mostly wrath and medica spam to keep up SB gauge.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well the banners coming back was a nice surprise. I always meant to give the first one another whirl but it disappeared on me. So I did one and got Vaan's Burst, OKOSB, and Sephiroth's glove. Nice, but we all know what I was after. And it turned up in the second spin. Maria's Burst. Also a second Dirk.

Anyway, good thing the orbfest came back too, because I need xp again.

e: gotta beat up some adorable woff monsters first though. really need to go play that again too, was enjoying it

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 7, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Praise DeNA, I finally got something for Agrias. I would have preferred her BSB over her OSB because I don't have any holy imperil, but I'll take what I can get.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I want to pull on banner 3 and 4 but I also dont

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Happy day, chasing Maria's BSB with another pull on banner 1 paid off. Netted me Sephiroth's gloves and a dupe of Edge's jacket too. I got basically all of the big chase items I went after except for OK and Alphinaud's BSBs, and at this point those would just be luxuries.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Welp. Since I'm clearly incapable of learning from past experience, I threw another $30 at Banner 4 and wound up with yet another goddamn Chaos Rod I didn't loving need.

... But I also got Ashe's OSB and OK's Blowback SSB, so I'm at peace with this banner now.

I really, really wanna go for one more shot at Faris's USB, but I've already got everything else on Banner 2 except that, Tidus's OSB and Zell's SSB. :sigh:

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Pulled on banner 4 again and went 1/11 agrias bsb which is nice since it gives me imperil holy finally for my holy poo poo wrecker team(s). I just need tg cid's osb to pair with the bsb....

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Welp. Since I'm clearly incapable of learning from past experience, I threw another $30 at Banner 4 and wound up with yet another goddamn Chaos Rod I didn't loving need.

... But I also got Ashe's OSB and OK's Blowback SSB, so I'm at peace with this banner now.

I really, really wanna go for one more shot at Faris's USB, but I've already got everything else on Banner 2 except that, Tidus's OSB and Zell's SSB. :sigh:
I'm glad I randomly got Faris' BSB duing the first BSB lucky draw because I do not like Banner 2 much overall. I'll probably still pull for her USB2 though

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, which of these five banners should I pull on? Notable things I already have: Cloud's OSB, Beatrix's, Quina's, and Faris's BSBs, a collection of SSBs including Bartz's and Yuna's, both walls, and two Eiko Medicas (Reraise and Haste ones). I have 105 mithril now (I didn't do the 50 mithril event until last night) and can earn a lot more from catching up on event stuff like the orbfests. I think what I need most is either stat boosts or great healer stuff, since Eiko's Medicas that I have are both kind of lame.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I don't have a want score of more than 12 on any banner so I'm thinking pass. The closest is banner 2, but that's just a lot of somewhat wants, no big wins. Really sucks that I have so many dupes on banners 3 and 4 because the grand prizes there are still things I really really want but I guess I can wait for the next appearance of the two Cids (Raines and TG).

• Locked thread