Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This thing isn't a sideboard card, it's a maindeck card that is above average but not actually insane against some decks and goes away when it's not useful, which is a good design that has existed since Scrap/Clear in Urza's Saga at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

This is a cool card that's really awkwardly worded in a way where you have to read it carefully 3 times to make sure you know what it's actually doing.

So it does nothing the turn you play it, then on successive turns you alternate drawing a card or getting CGU?

And somehow getting additional flood counters on it does nothing?

It's worded in this way so that if you have a way to put additional flood counters it does not get you 3 mana every turn.

Edit:

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

The problem with this is that it's flexible in-game - you get to choose whether you want the effect, or just another random card. That's not the kind of flexibility you're looking for in your sideboard, where you want cards that are high-impact against the specific decks you bring them in for. So generally you want cards that flex to being solid upgrades against a wider variety of decks, or that are just so ridiculously good against a narrow selection of decks that they justify their slots. Compare it to Naturalize, which has a larger selection of decks you'd consider using it against, or Ancient Grudge, which is similarly narrow but much more effective against the decks where it's relevant.

The in-game flexibility (and the pretty high floor on usefulness) that you get from cycling is substantially more useful for maindeck cards, where you don't actually know going in whether a card is going to be useful against a particular opponent.

That said, in this particular Standard this card is going to be a great sideboard answer to Heart of Kiran, since it answers it cleanly but isn't going to be dead when they don't draw the Heart (or you manage to answer it some other way first). I've definitely had bad experiences with Release the Gremlins being stranded while Gideon beats me down.

Yea I want my sideboard cards to really disrupt my opponent, not just be a 1-for-1. If you're in green you're quite likely to have access to stony or grudge which are much more powerful.

Not sold on maindecking it either in modern. Relic is powerful because it can hose decks while can-tripping. Deliverance can only do one or the other, and it's a lot less backbreaking when it's relevant. Card is almost there but it would take a metagame shift where a lot of tier-1 decks run artifacts.

Seems good in standard delirium though. Lets you get an instant in the yard against creature-light decks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Count Bleck posted:

Hey it's the Nile River.

Hey it's Naturalize with Upside.

Naturalize hits enchantments, bro

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Naturalize hits enchantments, bro

Hey it's the relevant half of Naturalize with Upside.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's worded in this way so that if you have a way to put additional flood counters it does not get you 3 mana every turn.

Edit:

man this is gonna be a cool limited set. gonna draft the poo poo outta that camel

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I do like the cycling costs so far. They're more generous than I was expecting, even on commons.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

I do like the cycling costs so far. They're more generous than I was expecting, even on commons.

Yeah a single colored mana to cycle vs 2 generic on many of these so far is going to play really really well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Rinkles posted:

Magic is much more about curving out on time than when the first couple times cycling existed, so there's a bigger opportunity cost to take time and mana to cycle cards away. SoI showed with clues that paying 2 mana to draw a card is good, but you won't always have time to do it.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
where's the desert reprint :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It was a bold move for Wizards to print an enchantment that draws your deck the turn you cast it, but I can respect it

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

EatinCake posted:

There is still space!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

EatinCake posted:

That way lies madness.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

That way lies madness.

The card everyone is waiting for:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah a single colored mana to cycle vs 2 generic on many of these so far is going to play really really well.

Except when you're color screwed. That was always a cool thing about 2-generic cycling; if you can't cast it you can always cycle to try and hit your land.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If there's no hand disruption that comes with cycling, it'll have been a missed opportunity.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

YggdrasilTM posted:

The card everyone is waiting for:

Is on the reserve list.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr:

I guess that's something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Well, that doesn't bode well for this set not being more of the same. Rip.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Attorney at Funk posted:

I was just thinking about how much jacetice league fatigue I was having and how they've crowded out the spots for actual interesting PW's lately.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Good. With how universal this sentiment seemed it's not surprising.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Thats a quality Monarch token you have there mtgo.

And seeing as amonkhet is almost released, have the kaladesh gremlin tokens ever had working art?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hour of Devastation is the next set, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A little weird they didn't predict this themselves, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

They are very high on the smell of their own farts at WotC

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hour of Devastation is the next set, right?

Yeah. I get the sense that this whole two-year chunk of Magic history starting with BFZ is just something everyone from players to R&D wants to flush away and move on from.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shadows of Innistrad and Eldritch Moon were both fine sets, though

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

They both also only had two league walkers put together..... COINCIDENCE?!

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 7, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Most of what I read out of WotC comes off as incredibly drunk on their own Kool-Aid, like there's some weird parallel set of beliefs about how Magic is supposed to work and what makes it good that are held by everyone at the company and nobody outside of it, beyond just things where it would make sense for the people making the money and the people spending it to disagree.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

They were fine, but as a high point of design stretching back for multiple Standard rotations it's a bit bleak.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

My favorite part of Eldritch Moon is that the main plot point of the set is no longer allowed to be played in Standard. :thumbsup:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Most of what I read out of WotC comes off as incredibly drunk on their own Kool-Aid, like there's some weird parallel set of beliefs about how Magic is supposed to work and what makes it good that are held by everyone at the company and nobody outside of it, beyond just things where it would make sense for the people making the money and the people spending it to disagree.

I'll always remember that story GerryT told about his R&D internship where he was kind of depressed and Tom LaPille took him aside to give him a pep talk like, "you need to understand you're not the smartest guy in the room anymore. get over it"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

My favorite part of Eldritch Moon is that the main plot point of the set is no longer allowed to be played in Standard. :thumbsup:

They locked her away in the moon. Flavor checks out.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

This is the same company that encourages masochistic devotion to their game whether it be through poor player support or underpaying their developers so what else would you expect

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, it's weird that they're giving us brick counters in those silly little tear up counter cards and have spoiled all of one lovely card that uses them, right?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

notably the only block since origins that didn't have the full jacetice league involved

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

They locked her away in the moon. Flavor checks out.

poo poo.

Boxman posted:

So, it's weird that they're giving us brick counters in those silly little tear up counter cards and have spoiled all of one lovely card that uses them, right?

To be fair those pop out cards also have -1/-1 counters on them.

I've been using red dice to track that but it's still nice.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll always remember that story GerryT told about his R&D internship where he was kind of depressed and Tom LaPille took him aside to give him a pep talk like, "you need to understand you're not the smartest guy in the room anymore. get over it"

I'd like to read this, and anything else on the subject that isn't from an official organ of WotC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I'd like to read this, and anything else on the subject that isn't from an official organ of WotC.

Same here, listening to stories of WotC's organizational incompetence is always a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Attorney at Funk posted:

If nothing else comes out of the last couple years of missteps, I hope Wizards figures out a way to shorten its development cycle. I get that there are certain manufacturing requirements that dictate some of that timeline but it seems like a lot of Magic's problems, especially recently, have come from the fact that they don't realize they've made a mistake until years after they were able to fix it. And what's worse, they've spent that interim period having that mistake influence further product development.

• Locked thread