Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mcdavid......smash?

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/850206117095391232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oilers are only 1 point away from getting home ice advantage in a playoff series for the first time since 1991.

Also Talbot now has the Oilers wins record and McDavid is up to 97 points, just 3 away from 100 and both remaining games against the Canucks. :toot:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

Oilers are only 1 point away from getting home ice advantage in a playoff series for the first time since 1991.

Also Talbot now has the Oilers wins record and McDavid is up to 97 points, just 3 away from 100 and both remaining games against the Canucks. :toot:

Also, unless Mcdavid goes scoreless in 2, and crosby scores 5 points/game or Kane scores 9 points/game in the remaining games, It's the first Art Ross for an oilers player since Gretzky in 86-87. He has to have the Hart on lock too, first for an Oiler since Messier in 89-90.

Oilers are back, baby!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
And it only took like 6 first overall picks!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

And it only took like 6 first overall picks!

Hey.

It was only 4, and one turned out to be a total turd. They should get half credit back for that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Sharks have Lucic a hattie.

gently caress you stupid Sharks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Habibi posted:

Sharks have Lucic a hattie.

gently caress you stupid Sharks.

There's something we can all agree on!

A natural hatty to complete a third period comeback, too. That's Avs bad.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Definitely the Leaf fans looking like the crazies here.

You gotta be mentally ill to cheer for the Leafs in the first place!!!!!!

Powershift posted:

Hey.

It was only 4, and one turned out to be a total turd. They should get half credit back for that.

The Oilers are lucky in that they didn't ruin more 1st overalls.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Time for Leafs fans to go into full on panic mode

E: also lol, I appear to have popped my probation cherry after 5 years for a lovely name joke

What is rivals.com?

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 7, 2017

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
please fire pete deboer

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
FIRE DEBOER
HODOR

H/t to Habibi (?) for that joke, I've never thought of Hodor the same ever since that post

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Time for Leafs fans to go into full on panic mode

E: also lol, I appear to have popped my probation cherry after 5 years for a lovely name joke

What is rivals.com?

Rivals.com is a sports website known for really stupid puns. For example, "Avalanche of Suck" is ok, but "Avasuck" is not.

The long and the short of it, no modifying someone's (or a team's) name to bash them, really.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Lucic frickin rules

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
so Matthews is OK right because that knee on knee was brutal and Marchand shoulda impaled Dotchin instead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iospace posted:

Rivals.com is a sports website known for really stupid puns. For example, "Avalanche of Suck" is ok, but "Avasuck" is not.

The long and the short of it, no modifying someone's (or a team's) name to bash them, really.

Although seemingly not anymore and I keep trying to get Hand Knit to use something more modern.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Edmonsuck Suckers
Connor McFartHead

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Milan 💩cic

Btw all the reebok stuff was half off at the cats game last night. Getting ready for next years merch I guess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Edmonsuck Suckers
Connor McFartHead

Brain Curry posted:

Milan 💩cic

:redass:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm very interested to see if Tampa or the Islanders can beat the odds here and take the last playoff spot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

I am a fan rooting for something I have no control over (and a lot of our rookies who got hot in the middle/late in the season are turning back into pumpkins)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm very interested to see if Tampa or the Islanders can beat the odds here and take the last playoff spot.

I'm a fan of the Islanders making that last playoff spot, especially since Tavares doesn't look like he'll be available in the first round should they make it.

But gently caress Tampa Bay. As much as I want to go to some Capitals playoff games in Tampa (where I live), I'd much rather not face that nightmare of a team.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Brain Curry posted:

Milan 💩cic

Btw all the reebok stuff was half off at the cats game last night. Getting ready for next years merch I guess.

Same with Red Wings jerseys.

The NHL is going to a new style similar to the World Cup jerseys.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hey I ate a probate for that and he only gets a spanking? The injustice!

Rabble rabble rabble

On topic: I love how Babs description of the game and how to improve was "we sucked and to win we need to suck less"

I feel like "hockey interviews" or "sports interviews" should be a meme

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dave Gove, who used to be a Penguins minor leaguer and coached the Wheeling Nailers, overdosed on heroin yesterday. Expect another story soon about the dangers of opioids and painkillers in a violent sport, and how little teams care about handing them out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm a fan of the Islanders making that last playoff spot, especially since Tavares doesn't look like he'll be available in the first round should they make it.

But gently caress Tampa Bay. As much as I want to go to some Capitals playoff games in Tampa (where I live), I'd much rather not face that nightmare of a team.

Yeah, I'd like the Caps to play Ottawa, Toronto, or the Islanders in the first round. Honestly Toronto would be the most ideal matchup. They're good but the Caps have dominated them and their goaltending isn't as capable of stealing games as Craig Anderson. Tampa would be a nightmare scenario since they definitely have the potential to play spoiler, but them making the playoffs would involve a really funny collapse by the Leafs so there's that. I don't want them to play Boston because I like both the Bruins and the Caps and I don't want one of them eliminated in the first round.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

The Isles and the Bolts are in the same position: their main superstar isn't coming back for the first round of the playoffs.
Whoever the Caps play is going to put the fear of god in WAS, it's going to be a wild series regardless.

I'd simply point out that Boston's last game is in Washington and they're only 2 points in front of the Leafs who have an extra game in hand.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey I ate a probate for that and he only gets a spanking? The injustice!

Rabble rabble rabble

Mod sass. Punishment: :redass:

(real talk: I didn't give you the probe, but it's more contextual than that. Your pun was because a player annoyed you, Jamwad's was them being a smartass)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/850353424977866753

Wow, OK, this is interesting. He was just assigned to Cleveland. I know the CBJ traded up to take him 29th overall in 2015.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/850353754444619777

This, too, is also interesting, and I hope there are some statewide TV games should the Monsters make the AHL playoffs because he sounds like a beast.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Schlesische posted:

The Isles and the Bolts are in the same position: their main superstar isn't coming back for the first round of the playoffs.

Well yea, but the Bolts are still insanely dangerous even without Stamkos. They have a forward who's top 10 in points, and a great supporting cast in general up front, plus a defenseman with 70 points and a good goalie.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Toronto would be fun to watch in the playoffs but boy would it be hilarious to see them snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory and miss the postseason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, the best possible outcome is another game seven choke.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

i am the bird posted:

Toronto would be fun to watch in the playoffs but boy would it be hilarious to see them snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory and miss the postseason.

not even unlikely given the matchups for the last two games

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

not even unlikely given the matchups for the last two games

The Habs are starting Carey Price against the Bolts which is a back to back for them and the Leafs play the Pens and Columbus who are locked into their playoff spots. It'll still take a real miracle for the Leafs to blow this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I can see them losing to both the Pens and Columbus in regulation

and I can also see the bolts taking it over the habs, and then they only have the Sabres to beat

or possibly the ilses topping the Devils and then the Sens - who are already comfortably placed.

hardly a miracle I would think - though maybe unlikely

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Columbus is probably going to be playing hard for a victory given their current losing streak. I can't imagine Torts playing it safe in the midst of a 5 game losing streak. Pittsburgh might let the foot off the gas a bit but they are still stupidly talented even if they end up resting Crosby and a few others. I'd imagine Malkin would play if healthy though to get him back up to game speed.

Also remember that it's not just the Lightning, it's the Islanders who could overtake the Leafs and their schedule is @NJ and OTT, so I could easily seem them winning both.

I'd still bet against the Leafs missing, but it's not a super longshot or anything.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 7, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

I can see them losing to both the Pens and Columbus in regulation

and I can also see the bolts taking it over the habs, and then they only have the Sabres to beat

or possibly the ilses topping the Devils and then the Sens - who are already comfortably placed.

hardly a miracle I would think - though maybe unlikely

Of course stranger things have happened, but people are acting like the Leafs have already thrown this away and it's a coin flip from here on out. They haven't, Sportsclubstats still lists their chances of making the playoffs at 88.5% which are very good odds. If they don't pick up a point on Saturday and the Isles and Tampa win outright, then there's some concern.

Basically they gave themselves 3 chances to get a win. They were essentially up 3-1 in a series and now it's 3-2. Odds are still on their side, people are just panicking because well yes the Leafs have a history of blowing things.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You know I remember watching the Leafs game 7 against Boston at work. Shame we won't get the same reaction videos if they just miss the playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toronto's chances of blowing it are high, but Tampa and New York's chances of winning out are not.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also the Habs recently lost the mighty Buffalo Sabres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ThinkTank posted:

Of course stranger things have happened, but people are acting like the Leafs have already thrown this away and it's a coin flip from here on out. They haven't, Sportsclubstats still lists their chances of making the playoffs at 88.5% which are very good odds. If they don't pick up a point on Saturday and the Isles and Tampa win outright, then there's some concern.

Basically they gave themselves 3 chances to get a win. They were essentially up 3-1 in a series and now it's 3-2. Odds are still on their side, people are just panicking because well yes the Leafs have a history of blowing things.

Oh, for sure. That's why I used the "jaws of victory" metaphor. They basically have to go 0-2 and then one of NYI or TB have to win out. It's not super likely, but the schedules and the cosmic irony are not in favor of Toronto.

• Locked thread