Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
probably speaks more to FW trying to capture margins they were missing by setting MSRP closer to what the market will bear rather than letting distributors or retailers mark it up that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

HatfulOfHollow posted:

~*beer thread untappd review interlude*~

Worst beer I've ever tasted. 2.5 stars.

<triggering>

dphi posted:

True, but Bravo was $10.50 (which sounds like the typical price around the country) here where Parabola increased from only $13.99 to $14.49 in the last year or two. I think places just don't gouge as much here and the price per ounce on those beers got worse with the move to smaller bottles. I used to stock up on Parabola and still have a bunch going back to '12 - I'll probably still grab 3 or 4 bottles in the new format.

<triggering intensifies>

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

<triggering>

<triggering intensifies>

??

What do you call charging 25% more for the same beer?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dphi posted:

Juicy

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

oh, man, i think i've been called pedantic for this at least twice:

a particular, expensive craft beer isn't exactly a necessity

on a tangential note, new me surprised old me by purchasing only one Mattina Rossa so that i could also purchase a six-pack of Weihenstephan Lager; how was i ever not a lager guy? next thing you know i'm gonna be crushing Palate Wrecker...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

funkybottoms posted:

You'd fit right in at Beer Advocate :c00lbutt:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

See, I prefer this to 99% of the labels I see, though yes, they put out very different labels for their releases, they don't have a core range at all.

For an example of that done badly (though the beer is great)

This is really fun to order!
"Get me that red poo poo"

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Looks like Tree House is better than I realized. I had some rose tinted memories of some Maine IPAs that made me think "hey this stuff is really good but not impossibly good since there are some others that are similar." But now that I live here I've had some of those things again, after tree house, and they just don't taste as good as I remember. I guess I'll be chasing that dragon for the foreseeable future!!!!

I got a DIPA from Liquid Riot called "A beer has no name" though and in addition to its cool label, it definitely scratches that same itch. I like Trillium but they aren't distributed here so if I want to drive to the brewery it's about the same drive as TH and that doesn't help me much.

Also to y'all whomst we're screaming about the Allagash coolships, make some noise when they get released because I got too many tapes to keep up with here

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

So I guess the Bruery is sending some of their older Reserve-only beers into distro now and Melange #3 is available in Chicago. As I think this was the last beer from them that I remember really liking (back in 2011), I'm tempted. Has anyone had this recently? Did I have a Compusaurus-like lovely palate in 2011 and this is- in fact- another overly sweet Bruery beer? Or is it actually a good blend of bad beers?

Also, White Chocolate is around. Remember when that poo poo traded for, like, OG Rare? Remember the first time you drank it and were like, "Well, the name is fitting..." and then couldn't finish the 2 oz pour you were handed? Remember? GOOD TIMES, FOLKS. GOOD TIMES.

The Bruery conveniently split all of their good beer off into their Terreux brand. The 19% ABV diabeetus beers were a fun try once novelty but honestly not worth getting again.

The farmhouse stuff is dope though, and they toned down their sours so they're no longer "facerape sour"

obi_ant posted:

I've come to the conclusion that there are simply too many breweries out there. It would be literally impossible to try them all. I trying to be content with my local breweries and it's working pretty well.

I went to LA recently and hit up a few places. LA has a pretty good beer scene.

Assuming you mean LA the city and not the state, I agree! Which is interesting because LA was a lovely beer desert between San Diego and the Bay Area for years until just recently!

poop dood posted:

I think FW bombers were something like $16 around here, which makes $10.49 for 12oz pretty unfair.

In CA the bombers were like $16.49 at Costco and somewhere between $17-20 everywhere else.

I welcome you to not buy Parabola out of protest and leave more for me.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
KBS is actually pretty hot and good this year. I'm glad I got a four pack. Is it weird that I prefer BA stouts a tad boozy? I hope not.

Parabola literally sold out in hours in my area of southern Virginia. I didn't realize it was that sought after but :welp:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mott The Lesser releases on Saturday in Kittery if you want a hit of that OG blended stout goodness.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
In PA news Pizza Boy released the newest batch of BBA Sunny Side Up this week and it is awesome. $7.50/can makes my heart hurt a little so I only got a 6 pack but I've already drank 4 of them :(.

poop dood I just bought a house about 20 minutes (as opposed to my current hour) from the ferm so let me know if/when you want Tired Hands stuff. I'm sure I'll be going to buy their awful milkshake beers to trade them for better out of market beers.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
AUGH YES THANK YOU LYON IM GONNA DRINK SO MUCH MORE WEIRD BEER NOW (also congrats on buying a new house!)

My budget has room for TH's expensive weirdo beer now so this is wonderful news. Speaking of their awful milkshake beers I had the Extra Vanilla one and actually really dug it. The absence of fruit meant it actually tasted like an IPA, shockingly. Just had a nice creamy, lightly sweet vanilla finish. It was really good. No chunks either, which is nice.

To return to Parabola chat, the 2017 bottle was only the second time I've had it, the first being at the bottle share at Ardent a year ago, which funkybottoms can attest had far too much palate-destroying nonsense for me to make a proper judgment. I really liked the '17 bottle. I can't say it being brewed at Boulevard will make an appreciable difference to the connoisseur.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

on a tangential note, new me surprised old me by purchasing only one Mattina Rossa so that i could also purchase a six-pack of Weihenstephan Lager; how was i ever not a lager guy? next thing you know i'm gonna be crushing Palate Wrecker...

to be fair to new you, Weihenstephaner Lager is absolutely incredible.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

krustster posted:

I like Trillium but they aren't distributed here so if I want to drive to the brewery it's about the same drive as TH and that doesn't help me much.

Yeah, but if you drive to Trillium you can leave with cases instead of ~8 cans.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

Yeah, but if you drive to Trillium you can leave with cases instead of ~8 cans.

Is it naive of me to think that when I see people buying carloads of beer from Trillium and Tree House and poo poo, I assume they're muling and not drinking cases of beer every week or so? Or should I be concerned about all of the livers in the New England area?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Is it naive of me to think that when I see people buying carloads of beer from Trillium and Tree House and poo poo, I assume they're muling and not drinking cases of beer every week or so? Or should I be concerned about all of the livers in the New England area?

Not everybody lives in the area. I'm sure there are plenty of mules, but the only time I've seen traffic constrict the amount of beer available is at Christmastime.

Last time I went, I bought about 3 cases, my wife and I drank ~1.5, and I gave the rest to my friends.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

This is the latest thing I'm embracing about living in Austin. Fuckin a, so many lagers/pilsners here kick rear end

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i just want someone to send me a case of live oak for the summer

e: on the pils tip, apparently Ayinger bavarian pils is coming to the US for the first time, anyone had it? I'm going to keep an eye out since everything else Ayinger makes is great, but it seems like we only see celebrator and oktoberfest in any significant amounts around here

cryme fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 7, 2017

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cryme posted:

e: on the pils tip, apparently Ayinger bavarian pils is coming to the US for the first time, anyone had it? I'm going to keep an eye out since everything else Ayinger makes is great

hmu bruh :beerpal:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

danbanana posted:

A 4/6 pack and a bomber is about what I go through on a normal week. I'd buy more than the 1-2 4packs and growler if I could afford it, both in terms of time and cash and waistline.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

cryme posted:

e: on the pils tip, apparently Ayinger bavarian pils is coming to the US for the first time, anyone had it? I'm going to keep an eye out since everything else Ayinger makes is great, but it seems like we only see celebrator and oktoberfest in any significant amounts around here

Ayinger pils is pretty great :beerpal:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

air- posted:

This is the latest thing I'm embracing about living in Austin. Fuckin a, so many lagers/pilsners here kick rear end

Yeah, Texas has the right weather for it. It's why I don't get breweries like Brash here in Houston - I'm not a huge fan of their beers to begin with, though a couple friends are, but all they make are giant DIPAs and barrel aged stouts. I don't want a 12% stout when it's 97 degrees out, I want a blonde ale or a pilsner or something easy to drink. Clown Shoes has the same issue, they only make giant beers, nothing even remotely sessionable that I've seen.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, Texas has the right weather for it. It's why I don't get breweries like Brash here in Houston - I'm not a huge fan of their beers to begin with, though a couple friends are, but all they make are giant DIPAs and barrel aged stouts. I don't want a 12% stout when it's 97 degrees out, I want a blonde ale or a pilsner or something easy to drink. Clown Shoes has the same issue, they only make giant beers, nothing even remotely sessionable that I've seen.

This is why I like living in a southern city that still nonetheless has something recognizable as winter (most years, anyway). Lots of delicious saisons and pilsners for 95 degree summer days spent with my feet in the river, and also tasty stouts for 30 degree windy sleet weather.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The best Texas hot weather / pool beer is

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RisqueBarber posted:

The best Texas hot weather / pool beer is

Are you my sister?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

You could go with something easier to drink, like Texian Charlie Foxtrot, a 7.5% "imperial" Berliner.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shooting Blanks posted:

Clown Shoes has the same issue, they only make giant beers, nothing even remotely sessionable that I've seen.

the fresh clownshoes stuff doesn't get much distro out of state, Mango, their Kolsch was a solid crusher any day of the week

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Shabadu posted:

the fresh clownshoes stuff doesn't get much distro out of state, Mango, their Kolsch was a solid crusher any day of the week

That's fair - I only see what's on the shelves here in Houston. Their beers are good for what they are, just not what I'm in the mood for most of the time.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

to be fair to new you, Weihenstephaner Lager is absolutely incredible.

i always have a difficult time not drinking the entire six-pack; too bad kegs of it don't seem to make it here very often

Quorum posted:

This is why I like living in a southern city that still nonetheless has something recognizable as winter (most years, anyway). Lots of delicious saisons and pilsners for 95 degree summer days spent with my feet in the river, and also tasty stouts for 30 degree windy sleet weather.

FYI we've got 30bbls of pils in a fermenter and will be making rye kolsch and Berliner soon (and we might gently caress around with a helles and/or radler ((the previous radler we did was a weird Frankenstein experiment that i didn't really like))) #neverstoplagering

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

danbanana posted:

Are you my sister?

Are you saying bombshell blonde is for girls or does your sister just like the beer

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, Texas has the right weather for it. It's why I don't get breweries like Brash here in Houston - I'm not a huge fan of their beers to begin with, though a couple friends are, but all they make are giant DIPAs and barrel aged stouts. I don't want a 12% stout when it's 97 degrees out, I want a blonde ale or a pilsner or something easy to drink.

In Brash's defense they make regular beers too, EZ-7 is a fine 5% pale in cans. That said Brash is run by Petrol Station people, who are the pioneers of drinking 10% beers outdoors when it's 98 degrees out with 90% humidity. I know because I used to be part of their team until I gained sense and moved out of Houston.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RisqueBarber posted:

Are you saying bombshell blonde is for girls or does your sister just like the beer

The latter. She loves that poo poo.

Though I really don't know how any beer other than from Live Oak can be anyone's favorite hot-rear end-Texas-weather beer but to each their own!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

had M43 last night. it was hazy and juicy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

danbanana posted:

The latter. She loves that poo poo.

Though I really don't know how any beer other than from Live Oak can be anyone's favorite hot-rear end-Texas-weather beer but to each their own!

Just picked up some St. Arnold's Raspberry AF today, it's back at the downtown Spec's. Haven't tried it before but I have yet to hear anything negative about it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Just bought a local interpretation of the NEIPA and a Bruery beer.

I feel dirty.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cigar City just bottled a NEIPA, and I'm pretty sure no one's going to buy it because they're are releasing it in a week.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just got a bomber of some overpriced quad for $5 because it was over a year old. Its good

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Just got a bomber of some overpriced quad for $5 because it was over a year old. Its good

Quads are only good after a year...

Drinking this "Northeast Style" DIPA from "What the gently caress is Hailstorm?" because it was canned yesterday and I thought "what the hell, right?" It is... fine. It tastes all the 8% it says it is. Smells nice! Super cloudy so I guess they did it right?

Man... I dunno. I don't get this trend and I loving love Mosaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was going to go to the new Frothy Beard space today and finally get a slice of Zombie Bob's Pizza, but I forgot to bring some stuff with me to work, and so I had to go straight home. Going to make up for it tomorrow night with my friend's birthday. I'll get to open a bottle of Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break among other things.