Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elysium posted:

This is what my kitchen looks like:

I've seen this exact same type of range/microwave combo in nearly every house listing with an "updated kitchen." It simply blows the smoke/grease right up into those cabinets and the ceiling. And that's only of what little it sucks in, if you are cooking on the front burners it doesn't bother with getting sucked up under the microwave, it just goes straight up to the ceiling.

Hopefully replacing the microwave with a real hood soon, to vent out the wall behind the cabinet. Still trying to figure out if there is any way to actually pick out a range hood and know if it's any good.

That kind of setup usually has a filter, it doesn't have the same effect as an actual vent but it is doing more than just blowing the air around. If you bother to actually clean the filter once a month then it should do a pretty good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Elysium posted:

This is what my kitchen looks like:

I've seen this exact same type of range/microwave combo in nearly every house listing with an "updated kitchen." It simply blows the smoke/grease right up into those cabinets and the ceiling. And that's only of what little it sucks in, if you are cooking on the front burners it doesn't bother with getting sucked up under the microwave, it just goes straight up to the ceiling.

Hopefully replacing the microwave with a real hood soon, to vent out the wall behind the cabinet. Still trying to figure out if there is any way to actually pick out a range hood and know if it's any good.

Your microwave top should have a round duct hole, just tie in duct, feed it through the cabinet and out the wall. More than 30' you'll need an exhaust fan tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

therobit posted:

I just think it is an exaggeration ti say you can't cook without a hood vent and not spray grease everywhere or smoke uo rhe house. That said, I don't di a lot of deeo frying or cook a ton of fish either.

When I lived in an apartment with no ventilation (RE: Every apartment I've ever had), we did a lot of oven baked dinners and used the stovetop sparingly for things like eggs. I've also never had anything but electric for a range and temperature control is a nightmare on those coils.

These days, though, I'm cranking the hood up to the highest setting and doing a whole griddle of bacon on gas burners.

I've smoked the house all of one time because I wasn't paying attention to the heat level. Never again.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

QuarkJets posted:

That kind of setup usually has a filter, it doesn't have the same effect as an actual vent but it is doing more than just blowing the air around. If you bother to actually clean the filter once a month then it should do a pretty good job.
The vaguely decent ones have replaceable fibreglass, or even activated carbon filters in them, which you're supposed to swap out.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

These days, though, I'm cranking the hood up to the highest setting and doing a whole griddle of bacon on gas burners.

I've smoked the house all of one time because I wasn't paying attention to the heat level. Never again.

See http://baconmethod.com/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocks posted:

Closed on my house today, picking up the keys on next Wednesday

Bonus it even came gift wrapped

You sure that's not just a large grill?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

baquerd posted:

You sure that's not just a large grill?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what that actually looks like as a house. Between the trash can in the foreground and the concrete ramp/driveway it looks pretty small, and the pitch of the roof looks weird.

Is this some tiny house deal, just odd perspective from the camera, or some wierd moon house in New Zealand or wherever?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what that actually looks like as a house. Between the trash can in the foreground and the concrete ramp/driveway it looks pretty small, and the pitch of the roof looks weird.

Is this some tiny house deal, just odd perspective from the camera, or some wierd moon house in New Zealand or wherever?

If there's one thing New Zealand knows, it's forced perspective!

(I agree, it's messing with my head too)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I didn't think anything of it and now all I can see if some weird Bedouin tent/fifth wheel trailer combo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cool link! I will try this sometime soon!

Still, the visual of an entire stovetop with food on every burner is extremely satisfying to me.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I legit thought the first picture was a grill. Wtf.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

This is a trailer, right? That slope...

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Does it extend into the hill? Is it an enormous mining truck??

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is a trailer, right? That slope...

Bozart posted:

Does it extend into the hill? Is it an enormous mining truck??

you guys :allears:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i don't have any pics on me of the front of the house but here's the side for you

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oh that's the house with the awesome view on Oahu right?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

brugroffil posted:

oh that's the house with the awesome view on Oahu right?

yeah buddy :cool:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Rocks posted:

yeah buddy :cool:

Grats Rocks, let me know if anything interesting pops in your neighborhood in 20 years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I'm sorry your house was used as a temporary meth lab, I hope you got a discount for it.

To change topics from range hoods (which I don't have (well, not a proper one, got the ol' in the back, out the front style in the under-cabinet microwave)) I've got to at the very least re-paint by deck this spring.

I'm debating replacing a bunch of the deck boards. Currently, they're just 2x4 pine boards, near as I can tell. Even if I scrape, prime, and paint them, they're a bit rotted and it won't last. So I'm thinking I should just rip them all out and replace them with proper pressure-treated boards. Especially considering the previous owner put them in place with nails, not screws, so a bunch of nail heads are sticking up and the boards are coming along for the ride.

The structural parts of the deck seem like they're pressure-treated, it just looks like the decking and steps were replaced a few years ago and just done so cheaply and poorly, like everything else the previous owner did.

(Seriously, you should see my bathroom that he had the gall to brag about "remodeling")

Edit: Here, enjoy my pain:
http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 6, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The structural parts of the deck seem like they're pressure-treated, it just looks like the decking and steps were replaced a few years ago and just done so cheaply and poorly, like everything else the previous owner did.

That bathroom looks terrible. I can only imagine what the deck looks like.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I got a sump pump installed today (really reaping the benefits of that new home warranty I guess). Can I just set up a hose from my dehumidifier and have it drain right into the sump instead of carrying the water upstairs and dumping it in the sink whenever I remember or is that a bad idea?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That's what I do. Just make sure you watch the dehumidifier when you first hook it up because my hose wasn't pushed into the unit all the way and it soaked the carpet in its little area at first.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

brugroffil posted:

That's what I do. Just make sure you watch the dehumidifier when you first hook it up because my hose wasn't pushed into the unit all the way and it soaked the carpet in its little area at first.

Well that's small potatoes compared to two inches of standing water covering the entire basement less than a week ago.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Since this thread was so great for grills and gutters, I'd like to ask about gravel now... Well, not really gravel, but patio stuff.

For the new place, we are planning on building a large patio (25'x25' with a 5'x5' fire pit in the middle) and are contemplating different options for the surface. We are in northern Illinois, so we get all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same day; durability and low maintenance are key. Attractive would be next, then cost, and other considerations after that. Any recommendations for materials or other factors worth considering?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

metztli posted:

Since this thread was so great for grills and gutters, I'd like to ask about gravel now... Well, not really gravel, but patio stuff.

For the new place, we are planning on building a large patio (25'x25' with a 5'x5' fire pit in the middle) and are contemplating different options for the surface. We are in northern Illinois, so we get all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same day; durability and low maintenance are key. Attractive would be next, then cost, and other considerations after that. Any recommendations for materials or other factors worth considering?

I would just build out of pressure treated then add a good stain. May have to restain every couple years. There's also a brand called TREX that makes pretty good hidden fasteners for a nice touch.

I don't have much experience with the composite decks but that might give you a good all weather application and may also feel nice to the feet. TREX has a line of those, too.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Patio = On the ground, flush or just above grass height.
Deck = Elevated, one step or more above ground.

Which are you doing? All DIY or hire some out or buddy with a Bobcat, etc?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Re the fire pit, Lowe's had a good tutorial on how to build one:

https://youtu.be/ut32LZrAbys

(Also one for in ground)

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Wandering Orange posted:

Patio = On the ground, flush or just above grass height.
Deck = Elevated, one step or more above ground.

Which are you doing? All DIY or hire some out or buddy with a Bobcat, etc?

Patio, probably hire out the leveling and bed, but would consider either hiring out or DIY for the actual surface. I don't think I could DIY, for example, concrete slab, but if pavers would meet the "durable and low maintenance" route I'd certainly consider them. Given the size, though, hiring out seems like it would reduce the risk of large mistakes from a first timer's attempt.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I believe stamped concrete is a good option. I don't have first hand experience, but I've seen plenty of them and they look great and presumably have all the durability of plain concrete. We get plenty of all four seasons here in PA and I see them all over.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Seriously, you should see my bathroom that he had the gall to brag about "remodeling")

Edit: Here, enjoy my pain:
http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ
:lol: I lost it at the sideways toilet paper holder.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

A poured concrete patio with good reinforcement will be the most durable and also most expensive option. Unless you get it tinted or stamped you can add "ugliest' as well, since it'll get stained if water runs over it regularly and will probably crack over the winter. Your site prep will determine how long it lasts, and if you don't get the slope right you can funnel water right into your foundation for maximum sadness. On the other hand, it'll be relatively smooth and your furniture and grill will stay where you put them.

Other options with concrete involve embedding tiles, gravel, or other materials in the surface. This usually doesn't add anything but cost and looks, but if looks are really important you can make a concrete patio look incredible.

Pavers are also durable, but very very labor intensive to install (and freaking heavy). Like concrete, prep's the most important thing. The advantage to using this is that it will cost less than poured concrete, probably look better, and will allow for a bit of flexibility in a freeze/thaw cycle. Water will drain through it (again, with proper site prep), but if some of your bed drains away you can pull up a few blocks, add more sand, and put them back. The grooves between the blocks make it a difficult surface for thin-legged furniture and high heels.

You could build a very low wooden deck on some poured concrete supports, which will probably be the cheapest option and can last a long time with regular maintenance, but if you don't have at least 4.5 inches clearance between your floor and the ground level you simply can't do it. It's got an even worse problem for high heels, but drains the best and won't care about freezing temperatures.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Our house was built with a stained, stamped concrete patio and it looks pretty good. We're just buying outdoor furniture for it now and wow is that an expensive proposition.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Our house was built with a stained, stamped concrete patio and it looks pretty good. We're just buying outdoor furniture for it now and wow is that an expensive proposition.

IKEA has some pretty OK outdoor stuff that's relatively inexpensive.

Tricky Ed posted:

A poured concrete patio with good reinforcement will be the most durable and also most expensive option. Unless you get it tinted or stamped you can add "ugliest' as well, since it'll get stained if water runs over it regularly and will probably crack over the winter. Your site prep will determine how long it lasts, and if you don't get the slope right you can funnel water right into your foundation for maximum sadness. On the other hand, it'll be relatively smooth and your furniture and grill will stay where you put them.

Other options with concrete involve embedding tiles, gravel, or other materials in the surface. This usually doesn't add anything but cost and looks, but if looks are really important you can make a concrete patio look incredible.

Pavers are also durable, but very very labor intensive to install (and freaking heavy). Like concrete, prep's the most important thing. The advantage to using this is that it will cost less than poured concrete, probably look better, and will allow for a bit of flexibility in a freeze/thaw cycle. Water will drain through it (again, with proper site prep), but if some of your bed drains away you can pull up a few blocks, add more sand, and put them back. The grooves between the blocks make it a difficult surface for thin-legged furniture and high heels.

You could build a very low wooden deck on some poured concrete supports, which will probably be the cheapest option and can last a long time with regular maintenance, but if you don't have at least 4.5 inches clearance between your floor and the ground level you simply can't do it. It's got an even worse problem for high heels, but drains the best and won't care about freezing temperatures.

Yah, the freeze/thaw cycle would be murderous on a poured concrete slab, so probably we will go with pavers. The low deck notion isn't bad, though it would require a step which would make rolling stuff out to it a challenge unless we put in a ramp from the walkway. Thanks for the info.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DrBouvenstein posted:

Based on his history, I wouldn't trust the structure. If anything, I'd expect that be cheaper to rip out and re-do as a safety.

Also, did he setup the deck ground properly? Because ours sure as gently caress didn't.

It looks like the posts may be set on bricks that are in the ground. That's slightly less irritating than them not removing the previous cement steps or landscaping the ground itself with both cloth and covering with stone.

As a result, with 10 years under the deck's belt, erosion has caused the ground to slope toward the house. Luckily the foundation drain shunts away 99% of the water to the daylight drain but occasionally with a heavy downpour, water will fill faster than the drain and seep in through the foundation screws that attached to the wood for when it was poured.

More annoying are those cement steps. Thanks to the erosion, it tilts toward the house. With a heavy downpour water goes against the house and into the separation between the foundation and house structure and floods that part of the basement.

On the front door, the same thing happens. However, since it's just a small porch and not a deck, they built the porch onto the steps themselves.

It's on my bucket list to rip both of those fuckers down and rebuild properly.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stained and stamped concrete can be pretty expensive. We did a 20x20 or so paver patio at our old house using these from Menards (we're also in northern IL):
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...44441476275.htm

They come in a few different sizes an you can make a bunch of different patterns with them. The prep work for it--digging the hole, spreading out the gravel and sand--was the worst job I've ever done myself and I'd recommend hiring that out to someone with a bobcat rather than doing it yourself if you go with either concrete or paver blocks. We were only in the house for a year after we built the patio so I'm not sure how well those particular pavers hold up.

e: my parents are also in northern IL and have a big poured pad. There's a crack in part of it but it's otherwise held up well over the 10 years they've had it now. It's probably 30 x 15 and has two tiers.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

metztli posted:

Patio, probably hire out the leveling and bed, but would consider either hiring out or DIY for the actual surface. I don't think I could DIY, for example, concrete slab, but if pavers would meet the "durable and low maintenance" route I'd certainly consider them. Given the size, though, hiring out seems like it would reduce the risk of large mistakes from a first timer's attempt.

Third option here, and this one is really simple from a permitting perspective. Build a floating composite deck, joist height off the ground. Rest the composite joists on some foundation blocks or the ground, and just build a composite deck/patio on top of that.

That's what my girlfriend's dad did over a decade ago based on his builder friend's advice, and it has held up great over the years with no maintenance. It gets used all the time too, they have tons of cookouts over there. Relatively inexpensive, looks good, easy, holds up well, and because it's a floating structure not attached to the house, didn't require any permits.

I know the crappy construction thread is in a tizzy over composite decking getting hot in some hot equatorial place, but I've never ever noticed any abnormal heat buildup here in Ohio, even on hundred degree days.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Isn't composite decking $$$ though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Isn't composite decking $$$ though?

It's definitely more expensive, but you're front loading money to avoid future maintenance (more difficult cleaning, periodic staining/sealing) and gain longevity.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cheesus posted:

Based on his history, I wouldn't trust the structure. If anything, I'd expect that be cheaper to rip out and re-do as a safety.

Also, did he setup the deck ground properly? Because ours sure as gently caress didn't.

I don't think he built the deck, just replaced some deck boards. The rest looks ok...some paint is coming off, but wood doesn't look rotted, screws still seem secure, it's in concrete footers, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Oh God I just opened a can of worms with regard to lawn care. This isn't thing I've got any experience with, we only have about a 1/5 acre lot, but I've never mowed it before or done any lawn care for a house I own. How do I enact lawncare?