Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I named that horse Ganondorf because I am unoriginal.

Same.

El Burbo posted:

If that's embarrassing, imagine how I felt when, after an hour or more, I realized you had to use ice to open the gate right at the start in the elephant

Same.

The first time I actually relented and looked up how to do something in this game was Akkala Tower, and when I watched someone do it on youtube, I was like, "Oh gently caress you, game" because I was looking for some maguffin that happens after shooting that eyeball, but it's like, "Naw, just climb your happy rear end up there, duder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watching these Zelda streams makes me realize that I missed a lot in this game. This is the first in a long time that I've wanted to do a second playthrough of something. It helps that the very beginning is super engaging, possibly even moreso than the rest of the game! I'm probably gonna save my second playthrough for when the first wave of DLC comes out, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Are you bonded to the max? That's sort of important if you intend to control the horse.

Epona comes bonded to the max. I'm trying to do that obstacle course and the amount of precision required to hop those sees asinine. I know you're not suppose to whip her right before hopping but just to line up a horse is an undertaking.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

acksplode posted:

I took a really long time with Vah Ruta (elephant) because I got stuck on stopping the smaller water wheel with a terminal inside it, and I refused to look up the answer since I felt like I was missing something obvious. I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to figure it out, but yeah I would've felt really stupid had I googled it.

Same. I tried everything before I figured it out.

DaveKap posted:

My favorite "oh, right, cryonis" moment was using arrows on the ice cubes during the lead up to entering the elephant, going to sleep as soon as I entered it, realizing while trying to sleep that I could probably have used cryonis and saved a TON of arrows, then going back to the previous save the next day just to replay that section using cryonis. It's my favorite because this has hit so many people.

Yeah I did this too. I did beat Vah Naboris really fast though, so I think I redeemed myself a little.

I only have 5 shrines left and I have no idea where they are. How many shrine quests are there? 42?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The first time I actually relented and looked up how to do something in this game was Akkala Tower, and when I watched someone do it on youtube, I was like, "Oh gently caress you, game" because I was looking for some maguffin that happens after shooting that eyeball, but it's like, "Naw, just climb your happy rear end up there, duder."

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure you were right. I think the intended solution to that puzzle is to shoot the eyeball, magnesis the metal board that pops out onto the second level and use it as a ramp to cross over the goop. It's just long enough to form a bridge from the broken staircase to the tower.

For the record, I figured this out on my second playthrough. On my first, I, too, was stumped until I just Assassin's Creed'd my way to the top. :goonsay:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So what the hell are the scablands? They look like giant trees that got pruned to hell and back.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how many star fragments should I farm to just be done with it? Considering I've played 60 hours and not ran across a single one, I might as well do this for an hour and get all I need

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Each jewel head thing needs 2? im pretty sure the first tier doesnt need one, so thats 12 there, and the ancient stuff needs one for the final tier as well iirc, so a whopping 15 are needed in total

might be 21 if the jewels need 3

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astro7x posted:

So how many star fragments should I farm to just be done with it? Considering I've played 60 hours and not ran across a single one, I might as well do this for an hour and get all I need

Anywhere between 0 and 156. Probably just 3, though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The compendium says the yellow lizalfos are in hyrule ridge, but i cant find any of the loving things. Are they only there before the shrine-thunderstorm is cleared?

e: FUCCCKKKK i messed up the first screen protector i did, and i just noticed there is a big ol' speck of dirt smack dab in the middle of the screen under the protector. Godammit i just wasted that 15 bucks due to my own ineptitude

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Astro7x posted:

You need 14 in total to upgrade all of the gem accessories plus the ancient armor and wild armor. There are 3 fragments from quests: there's a girl across the path from the outskirts stable that will give you one if you have the Master Sword, one at the woodland stable for attaching an octorok balloon to a barrel for a kid, and you can get another by feeding a dog in Lurelin village some fruit til it leads you to a buried treasure chest. You would need to farm 11 fragments otherwise (8 if you don't intend to do all 120 shrines).

Shoren fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Stab posted:

Anywhere between 0 and 156. Probably just 3, though.

Took me 30 minutes to find someone posted a Google Doc with all the material needed for upgrades...

So to answer my own question, between 14 and 80

BotW Sets:
Wild Set - 3 star fragments
Ancient Set - 3 star fragments

BOTW Head Gear:
Topaz Earrings - 2 star fragments
Diamond Circlet - 2 star fragments
Ruby Circlet - 2 star fragments
Sapphire Circlet - 2 star fragments

Amiibo Sets:
Wind Set - 12 star fragments
Hero Set - 12 star fragments
Time Set - 12 star fragments
Twilight Set - 12 star fragments
Sky Set - 12 star fragments

Amiibo Head Gear:
Sheik's Mask - 10 star fragments

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 7, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

El Burbo posted:

Cryonis...

It wasn't on the surface.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astro7x posted:

Took me 30 minutes to find someone posted a Google Doc with all the material needed for upgrades...

So to answer my own question, between 14 and 80

BotW Sets:
Wild Set - 3 star fragments
Ancient Set - 3 star fragments

BOTW Head Gear:
Topaz Earrings - 2 star fragments
Diamond Circlet - 2 star fragments
Ruby Circlet - 2 star fragments
Sapphire Circlet - 2 star fragments

Amiibo Sets:
Wind Set - 12 star fragments
Hero Set - 12 star fragments
Time Set - 12 star fragments
Twilight Set - 12 star fragments
Sky Set - 12 star fragments

Amiibo Head Gear:
Sheik's Mask - 10 star fragments

Oh, the document I saw had most amiibo armors as requiring 10/item.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The compendium says the yellow lizalfos are in hyrule ridge, but i cant find any of the loving things. Are they only there before the shrine-thunderstorm is cleared?

e: FUCCCKKKK i messed up the first screen protector i did, and i just noticed there is a big ol' speck of dirt smack dab in the middle of the screen under the protector. Godammit i just wasted that 15 bucks due to my own ineptitude

The yellow lizalfos are swimming around the tower

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

My favorite "oh, right, cryonis" moment was using arrows on the ice cubes during the lead up to entering the elephant, going to sleep as soon as I entered it, realizing while trying to sleep that I could probably have used cryonis and saved a TON of arrows, then going back to the previous save the next day just to replay that section using cryonis. It's my favorite because this has hit so many people.

Finding this out is making me very salty. I am forever paranoid about arrow supply so I ended up swatting the Cubes with a Korok Leaf. But then the spiked mines should have clued me in when I found that Ice Arrows stopped them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Who wanted luminous stones again?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Doesn't BAE Sidon strongly suggest you use your special power to stop the ice attacks?

Is this a thing? People missing insanely telegraphed instructions.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I don't remember what the prompt is but there is a reminder before the run up to that dungeon.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Remember, any nail could fail...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Amiibo sets requiring star fragments is dumb as hell since they have the same defense as the bog standard hylian set and the set bonus is kinda worthless.

edit: Not to mention that they require gems already.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How good do I have to be to take on a major test of strength? I really want that climbing gear, but am lacking in any strong weaponry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

seiferguy posted:

How good do I have to be to take on a major test of strength? I really want that climbing gear, but am lacking in any strong weaponry.

Weapons are deffo the bottleneck. Get good weapons and Stasis+ for Majors. Hearts are less important, it really is a grind with weak weapons though.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

seiferguy posted:

How many weapon slots//hearts do you have. The enemies in there aren't too difficult once you get their patterns down, but they have a fairly beefy amount of HP. If you're in a position where you can loose 1-2 weapons on them, the major test of strength robots drop pretty strong items once defeated.

I started feeling confident enough to start taking on the major tests when I had about 7 hearts and had collected a few other items.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

How many weapon slots//hearts do you have. The enemies in there aren't too difficult once you get their patterns down, but they have a fairly beefy amount of HP. If you're in a position where you can loose 1-2 weapons on them, the major test of strength robots drop pretty strong items once defeated.

I started feeling confident enough to start taking on the major tests when I had about 7 hearts and had collected a few other items.

I've got 2 extra melee weapon slots, and 7 hearts. My best weapons are only around 20-30 attack, though. And yeah, those weapons look real good that they drop.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If you've completed any modest tests of strength, you can go back and loot them again after every blood moon. All guardian weapons get a bonus against guardians, so modest test drops will help with major test ones.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also don't neglect nomming down on a +ATK food item beforehand. Cooking 5 bananas makes an insanely good +ATK dish.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unmature posted:

Who wanted luminous stones again?

There's a guy in Zora's Domain who trades 10 of them for diamonds after you beat Vah Ruta. You usually find him tinkering on a pedestal right by the front gate during the day. I find him easy to remember because-

ONEEEEE
TWOOOO
THREEEEE

:downs:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's 10 for one Diamond, so unless you need Diamonds, you lose money

For the first completion it's two Diamonds

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I've got 2 extra melee weapon slots, and 7 hearts. My best weapons are only around 20-30 attack, though. And yeah, those weapons look real good that they drop.

You should be fine then. You might have to try a few times to get his pattern down, but I'd say you're more than equipped enough to take him down

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
At first I couldn't wait to see the speedruns but now I can't wait to see more glitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0bdTezkeHc

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's 10 for one Diamond, so unless you need Diamonds, you lose money

For the first completion it's two Diamonds

Are luminous stones used for anything else? Should I just sell them directly?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Unmature posted:

Are luminous stones used for anything else? Should I just sell them directly?

There's a specific set of armor that requires a lot of them.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So what the hell are the scablands? They look like giant trees that got pruned to hell and back.

An actual tree

Also a real tree

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 7, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I've decided to kinda pause my main quest completion at 3 out of 4 beasts to start hitting shrines, obtaining some of the armor sets, I got the Master Sword last night and I'm going to try sneaking in to get the Hylian Shield this weekend. In regards to armor sets, is Barbarian the top of the list? Which others should I go for? Dark Link looks rad and I want to get it simply because it looks bad rear end. I have Zora, Flame, Stealth, Guardian's Tunic already.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I think the part that confused me with the Scabland trees (I thought they were giant mushrooms at first) was that compared to all of the other trees in the game, they just have solid textures for leaves.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still don't want to read too much of this thread, but I'm at work and I can't wait to find this out, and Google wasn't very helpful. I found a 9 dmg sword in a shrine that gives +4 attack bonus. I take it that's not just like, 13 dmg, or else it'd just say 13, right? So is that like +4 dmg to everything as long as I carry it, or +4 attack levels? Or do I need to have it equipped and it brings my bows and stuff up?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

weird Asian candy posted:

I've decided to kinda pause my main quest completion at 3 out of 4 beasts to start hitting shrines, obtaining some of the armor sets, I got the Master Sword last night and I'm going to try sneaking in to get the Hylian Shield this weekend. In regards to armor sets, is Barbarian the top of the list? Which others should I go for? Dark Link looks rad and I want to get it simply because it looks bad rear end. I have Zora, Flame, Stealth, Guardian's Tunic already.

Do you or your friends have any Zelda related amiibos? They all potentially drop items that make you look like previous Links. I'm grabbing the Twilight set right now, which even though it doesn't have a great bonus, looks cool as heck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I still don't want to read too much of this thread, but I'm at work and I can't wait to find this out, and Google wasn't very helpful. I found a 9 dmg sword in a shrine that gives +4 attack bonus. I take it that's not just like, 13 dmg, or else it'd just say 13, right? So is that like +4 dmg to everything as long as I carry it, or +4 attack levels? Or do I need to have it equipped and it brings my bows and stuff up?

It's a 5 damage sword with a bonus to its own damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

It's a 5 damage sword with a bonus to its own damage.

Oh, that's disappointing. Thanks though!