Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If you are in the UK and not the employment hellscape that is the United States of America try talking to your line manager about it. I told my boss last year that I was bored in my current role and wanted more of a challenge and the company has bent over backwards to find me a position in a different office with the challenge I was looking for and making sure I stay with them for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Clam Down alt spotted

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

We broke a Fortinet by enabling logging, they used really lovely flash memory on the model we had.

You end up creating a slow, randomly failing situation when the disk breaks.

Yep, we had local logging destroy around thirty or so of them before we discovered the root of that one. I think these were all 60Cs at branch locations.

We were very not amused and got a pretty steep discount on our support contract for that.

I like Fortigates in general, but I'll never trust the local disk on them ever again. We were already logging remotely, but for some reason overlooked it was logging locally as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Migishu posted:

If you have nothing new to learn or interesting to hold you over, it's time to move to another job.

Not necessarily changing jobs, but job sites.
Yeah I've automated my basic job tasks with auto hot key and still could learn more about the other support roles, but I'm not going to bother until they promote me... I'm a level 1 doing the work of a level 3, and I could do it in my sleep, so I'm not going to do even more just because I can. The two (worthless) level 2s ahead of me are the one and only excuse they have for not promoting me.

I'm waiting on an offer to become a PDQA but HR is dragging it's feet. The CTO came over to me to ask if I was ready before I knew that they were going to offer me the job, lol

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I've automated my basic job tasks with auto hot key and still could learn more about the other support roles, but I'm not going to bother until they promote me... I'm a level 1 doing the work of a level 3, and I could do it in my sleep, so I'm not going to do even more just because I can. The two (worthless) level 2s ahead of me are the one and only excuse they have for not promoting me.

I'm waiting on an offer to become a PDQA but HR is dragging it's feet. The CTO came over to me to ask if I was ready before I knew that they were going to offer me the job, lol

hahaha

oh, you're probably serious.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I think you need to make plans under the assumption that they'll never promote you. We talked about this four months ago.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We have a promotion just around the corner. In about 5-10 years you'll be making a hundred more dollars for sure!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Does rodent poop void the HP Procurve warranty?

:barf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of employers are poo poo regardless of the country they are based in. If senior management run things based on what they legally need to do as a minimum then it's going to be a crappy work environment regardless of what those legal minimums are.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

kensei posted:

Wrong thread.

Should be in here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852

:)

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 6, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you need to make plans under the assumption that they'll never promote you. We talked about this four months ago.
No this time I actually have been offered a job as a QA and shook on it/accepted the offer from the manager of development and my boss has started interviewing people to backfill my position. Dev wants me to start next week but I cant if HR doesnt do its thing :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 6, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

flosofl posted:

Yep, we had local logging destroy around thirty or so of them before we discovered the root of that one.

I got this far in this post before I remembered what thread I was reading and realized this wasn't about literal trees.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flosofl posted:

Yep, we had local logging destroy around thirty or so of them before we discovered the root of that one. I think these were all 60Cs at branch locations.

We were very not amused and got a pretty steep discount on our support contract for that.

I like Fortigates in general, but I'll never trust the local disk on them ever again. We were already logging remotely, but for some reason overlooked it was logging locally as well.

After we burned up the second one (it was the main one at our office), I went to their site to do an RMA and they had a big huge notice about the problem and to not use local logging until the new firmware came out. Why didn't they send an email to all their customers of that model?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

Why didn't they send an email to all their customers of that model?

:effort:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got this far in this post before I remembered what thread I was reading and realized this wasn't about literal trees.

Same!

kensei posted:

But surely poop only improves it! (I know nothing about Procurves)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Requested By: jackson_5

Some people might've missed this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Logitech Introduces High-Resistance Keyboard For Fitness-Minded Typists

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

"12 pounds of resistance per key" lmao

though I'm pretty sure I have some of these in my server room that used to be regular keyboards before people gunked them up. Maybe I can recycle them back into use as a company fitness initiative

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"12 pounds of resistance per key" lmao

though I'm pretty sure I have some of these in my server room that used to be regular keyboards before people gunked them up. Maybe I can recycle them back into use as a company fitness initiative

There's a fingerbanging joke in here somewhere

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

After we burned up the second one (it was the main one at our office), I went to their site to do an RMA and they had a big huge notice about the problem and to not use local logging until the new firmware came out. Why didn't they send an email to all their customers of that model?

This was YEARS ago, and I think we were one of the customers that led to that announcement. At least I'm pretty sure we couldn't find anything on their KB. I remember my colleague working directly with one of their engineers for a week or so. They set that up after our Sr VP made a stink directly to the CEO.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

No this time I actually have been offered a job as a QA and shook on it/accepted the offer from the manager of development and my boss has started interviewing people to backfill my position. Dev wants me to start next week but I cant if HR doesnt do its thing :v:

Nope. Dudes gonna come back next week being all " I am so sorry etc etc" and give some bullshit excuse from HR as to why they can't promote you.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Why do I feel like this is just not good for your fingers?

mewse
May 2, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

Why do I feel like this is just not good for your fingers?

Grip strength is really important for a lot of sports - boxing, muay thai, rock climbing, etc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nope. Dudes gonna come back next week being all " I am so sorry etc etc" and give some bullshit excuse from HR as to why they can't promote you.
AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

I've had something similar before - admittedly only going from Tier 1 call center to 'Senior' Tier 1 call center.

3 positions advertised, all three positions filled. Personal congratulations from the manager of the call center, and e-mails went out to the team congratulation the three of us who got the promotion.
In a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand, 2 of the 3 people who were offered the job were called into a room and told that no, you won't be getting promoted at all because HR didn't authorise 3 - only 1.

It was over 10 years ago and I still hold a grudge about it now.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

Anyone else going to Kaseya Connect in Las Vegas next month?

same except Avid Connect / NAB

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

mewse posted:

Grip strength is really important for a lot of sports - boxing, muay thai, rock climbing, etc

I get that but jamming down on a keyboard all day seems more grinding than helpful

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it were a problem at all I'm sure the storied journalists at The Onion would've mentioned it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In related news:
Fast-Talking Computer Hacker Just Has To Break Through Encryption Shield Before Uploading Nano-Virus

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I would buy that for my dad. He's a retired journalist who never really got past old-school manual typewriters. He's basically hyper-speed two-finger pecking away when he writes, and he destroys on average three keyboards per year that way.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever someone asks me for help and says "it's not work related" I have the overwhelming urge to respond "then it's not my problem." People have this preconception of IT staffers as having bad attitudes, poor social skills, whatever. It's because we've been ground down by the stupidity and poor social skills of everyone we've dealt with before them.

I swear to god when I started this job I was the nicest, most helpful person. Three years later I'm filled with loathing for almost every living technology user and bordering on stage II hypertension.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

This is amazing. We've asked for a third party to do a review of one of our IBM as400s located in a different country. It runs their local ERP. Here are some choice quotes from his report.

All the disks show as Degraded.
Disk replacements (17GB disk units) would have to be purchased from brokerage.
No security auditing is enabled.
Most of the System accounts are using default passwords.
Doesn’t appear to have been backed up since August 2016:
Currently a hardware or software failure would render the system and its processes irretrievable.

System has been declared "too old for investment." by management. I wonder what they'll say after seeing this, given its running that whole factory.

Buuuuuuuuuut not my problem as I'm leaving here in a week.

In the nearly three years I've been here, the whole IT department, including manager have cycled. Twice. The longest standing member will be a contractor who's been here 18 months (who initially came for a three month project but the company couldn't keep permanent staff) and the next longest guy is the IT manager at 4 months. I love it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chickenwalker posted:

Whenever someone asks me for help and says "it's not work related" I have the overwhelming urge to respond "then it's not my problem." People have this preconception of IT staffers as having bad attitudes, poor social skills, whatever. It's because we've been ground down by the stupidity and poor social skills of everyone we've dealt with before them.

I swear to god when I started this job I was the nicest, most helpful person. Three years later I'm filled with loathing for almost every living technology user and bordering on stage II hypertension.

So not work related but can you do my taxes?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

So not work related but can you do my taxes?

I was trying to meet with our CFO about getting pricing into our new system, fucker kept putting me off. He was doing like 3 co-workers taxes at the office. He's done them every year for the past 15 years!

GTFO

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Chickenwalker posted:

When I started out as a dev, I used to care about getting things done before deadlines, working late and not being the first to go home.

It's 10 years later now. I clock out at 16:50 and love the sound of deadlines as they go whooshing by. :geno:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dillbag posted:

same except Avid Connect / NAB

I wish :smith: though I went to NAB New York. Though my boss, our solutions architect and our resident grumpy linux admin/developer are going to be there.

One of these years I'll go to NAB

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Friday realtalk: Is larches ok? He's gone silent on us.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Virigoth posted:

His ex wife killed him for life insurance.

Or his boss locked him in a closet for having a backbone.

Or he is in the middle of a month long isp outage.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He was walking by his old station and got etherblasted

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Virigoth posted:

That's none of your concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Virigoth posted:

Yes, he's still on irc when he's got free time.

• Locked thread