Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Who are you? Where's Athanatos? Did I miss a coup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I can't throw too many bones at them because I was the same way when I was young and started following politics/news: ascribing too much significance and outrage to every event or story that I didn't like. And that was before everyone could sequester themselves into these little echo chambers that make everything even worse.

On the other hand, they'll learn slower if you don't bully them, so give 'em a swirly or two.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diqnol posted:

There were forums and AOL chatrooms when you were young I assume

Sure, but the wide array of news sources that specifically cater to narrow viewpoints is more of what I'm referring to.

Like, if HuffPo or the Washington Post is in your news feed, please do yourself a favor and delete them because they have one agenda, and that is to propagate a never ending circlejerk. They're no better than Fox News or the Drudge Report.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chichevache posted:

Who are you? Where's Athanatos? Did I miss a coup?

Athanatos is still around. Normally I'm going to defer to him, but that was a moment where I felt like I had to step in because gamergate is one of those topics when it comes up, no one wins in the end.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Sure, but the wide array of news sources that specifically cater to narrow viewpoints is more of what I'm referring to.

Like, if HuffPo or the Washington Post is in your news feed, please do yourself a favor and delete them because they have one agenda, and that is to propagate a never ending circlejerk. They're no better than Fox News or the Drudge Report.

both WaPo and HuffPo seem fairly centrist to me, when I think of left-wing journalism I think of the Jacobin or Mother Jones

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iospace posted:

Athanatos is still around. Normally I'm going to defer to him, but that was a moment where I felt like I had to step in because gamergate is one of those topics when it comes up, no one wins in the end.

You never answered "who are you?"!

please advise

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ehud posted:

You never answered "who are you?"!

please advise

New SAS mod. I get mod privileges here by the nature of the forums.

Nov 6, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

both WaPo and HuffPo seem fairly centrist to me

Edit: They're not extremely left leaning, but they're always obviously biased and stories are crafted in such a way to evoke an emotional response at the latest "outrage", whether it's deserved or not.

Look at the frontpage of HuffPo right now. It's all just Buzz Feed style journalism.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 7, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iospace posted:

New SAS mod. I get mod privileges here by the nature of the forums.

what sports do you enjoy

what teams do you root for

what is your idea of a perfect romantic evening

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

you can't be serious

Yeah, I'd say HuffPo is one of those sites that limousine liberals read that skews left on easy stuff like gay marriage but is still pretty center when it comes to other things like foreign policy or economics

and stories are crafted in such a way to evoke an emotional response at the latest "outrage", whether it's deserved or not

Yeah I agree. But I think this something all news outlets do, unless you are Democracy Now! or something.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 7, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah I agree. But I think this something all news outlets do, unless you are Democracy Now! or something.

PBS, NPR, Reuters, Christian Science Monitor and the NYT (not their editorial content) are much better sources of objective journalism than HuffPo or WashPo.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

YO I THINK DOGS SHOULD VOTE

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
the only dog that matters is the big dog roman reigns

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Sure, I agree with that too. I don't think HuffPo or WaPo (although in truth I have trouble distinguishing between WaPo and NYT as far as quality) are great journalism or anything, just wanted to clarify that they aren't really hard-left, more just banal centrist stuff like CNN.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

glad you asked!

I had a nice birthday dinner at a restaurant that I spent way too much on with a nice lady

it was a good time

Glad you had a good bday

Ehud posted:

what sports do you enjoy

What is the best bbq?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 7, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ehud posted:

what sports do you enjoy

Any sport, really. Of note: racing, hockey, and football (which is nice because they usually don't overlap too badly), with baseball in fourth.

Wisconsin and American (if it's two countries playing each other, anyway) teams, and if the game involves neither of those, I pick who I hate less.

Just going out for dinner, maybe a movie. I'm a sucker for simple things.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Let me tell you about my favorite anime Roots

Nov 6, 2002

Bad Moon posted:

Glad you had a good bday

What is the best bbq?

oh god, let's go back to gamergate instead

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iospace posted:

Any sport, really. Of note: racing, hockey, and football (which is nice because they usually don't overlap too badly), with baseball in fourth.

Wisconsin and American (if it's two countries playing each other, anyway) teams, and if the game involves neither of those, I pick who I hate less.

Just going out for dinner, maybe a movie. I'm a sucker for simple things.

*reads your post and then turns around to the rest of the gang*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQEwO900kQ

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

glad you asked!

I had a nice birthday dinner at a restaurant that I spent way too much on with a nice lady

it was a good time

How was Mister As? It looked awesome from the pic you posted.

Glad you had a great birthday buddy :-)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Bad Moon posted:

What is the best bbq?

Chopped pork from some lovely shack in North Carolina, with a side of vinegary cole slaw, and a big Cherry Coke

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ostentatious posted:

Let me tell you about my favorite anime Roots

Go on.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Should I read the Stephen King book It?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah. The first 3/4 or 3/5s are incredible, the ending is pretty weird and not ideal. My favorite King novel though

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ehud posted:

Should I read the Stephen King book It?

It's alright, spare one chapter that's like, "What the gently caress were you thinking, Stephen?" It's kinda too much of a hodge-podge of whatever was crossing his mind, pure coke mania basically, and I think it pales compared to Salem's Lot and The Shining by a long shot, but most of King's work does. By and large, it's one of his more readable works, though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I will add it to my wishlist. I like horror and creepy stuff and I am running out of movies to watch so I figured I would try some books.

I have basically never read any horror books. Any recommendations?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

I will add it to my wishlist. I like horror and creepy stuff and I am running out of movies to watch so I figured I would try some books.

I have basically never read any horror books. Any recommendations?

If you like creepy, the wife and I just finished binge watching Bates Motel on Netflix and both thought it was very good and super creepy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weird Asian candy posted:

If you like creepy, the wife and I just finished binge watching Bates Motel on Netflix and both thought it was very good and super creepy.

Unfortunately I am already up to speed on that. I have live watched it from the get go.

It's so great. Vera Farmiga is amazing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

Unfortunately I am already up to speed on that. I have live watched it from the get go.

It's so great. Vera Farmiga is amazing.

We just finished up S4 and are about to start in on S5. Vera is amazing, and that little bastard that plays Norman is equally as amazing. I hate that character so much! Have either of them won any awards for their performances because if not, it's a travesty...soooooooooooo good!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No Irish Need Imply posted:

It's my birthday, form a line for the dick sucking.

Thanks, I just want to let you know we all appreciate this.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

It's alright, spare one chapter that's like, "What the gently caress were you thinking, Stephen?" It's kinda too much of a hodge-podge of whatever was crossing his mind, pure coke mania basically, and I think it pales compared to Salem's Lot and The Shining by a long shot, but most of King's work does. By and large, it's one of his more readable works, though.

I read it in grade school. That chapter from the point of view of the wife beater/rapist sure was a surprise!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the stand is good, as are the first four books of the gunslinger series.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think that social media in general is 95% of the reason everything is so insular now. There are single agenda websites, sure, like Drudge and Fox and HuffPo, but I think in today's social media climate people read articles from all over. The discussions they have about those articles, however...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I read The Washington Post's daily 202 a lot since it's a not summary of all the crap that happened in the previous day. I still think they do good work. The Huffington Post, on the other hand, deserves the guillotine for running all of HA Goodman and Seth Abramson's articles during the primary.

I know my news reading includes a lot of echo chamber sources, but I'm never going to read websites for the sake of being "middle of the road." News should aim to be about facts, not about being neutral.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I remember loving the unabridged stand, and the first 3 Gunslinger books as a kid. All of this is from like 10-15 year old me though, it's been a long time since I've read any King.

I also remember really liking all of his older short story collections (Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Four Past Midnight, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons).

I also remember liking Carrie, Fire Starter, The Dead Zone, It and Eyes of the Dragon and absolutely hating the Tommyknockers and The Green Mile. Fire Starter and Dead Zone are both probably better concepts then novels though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalli posted:

I remember loving the unabridged stand

I remember thinking the abridged version was a better book than the unabridged one (15 year old me checking in). The cuts were improvements IMO.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ulmont posted:

I remember thinking the abridged version was a better book than the unabridged one (15 year old me checking in). The cuts were improvements IMO.

As a kid I loved gigantic long series more then anything. Thankfully the Wheel of Time books released over the late 90's finally broke me of that, something Hardy Boys, Wizard of Oz and god knows how many Xanth novels couldn't when I was younger. So yeah, young me definitely needed those extra 5 pages where the one guy sticks a gun in Trashcanman's butt.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Thankfully the Wheel of Time books released over the late 90's finally broke me of that

That moment when you realize that you absolutely despise every single character in a cast of like 100 is pretty freeing.

...and then if you're me you finish the series anyway eventually because you're an idiot and don't understand sunk cost. It got better after Jordan died and whoever else finished it, but it still wasn't close to worth it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

God drat stereotypes. Anti-war protest, cool I'll go meet some friends in Boston for that.

It ends when I'm leaving work.

Grittybeard posted:

That moment when you realize that you absolutely despise every single character in a cast of like 100 is pretty freeing.

I stopped reading right around when everyone was like, so that guy's the missing Forsaken right? and then I checked in after the next book came out and he was so mad that everyone figured it out that he changed it to some un-introduced character.

But yeah, the most likeable character got sucked into a black hole in like book 2 or 3.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

f-gently caress you kalli!!!!

• Locked thread