Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fangz posted:

I'd say that all of the machines are fascinated with humans, so in a way she is right. But each of them fixate on different things. It seems to me that Adam and Eve are basically about the duality of love and hate, which reflects the nature of their birth.

Adam is the hate side of the pair, I think, especially when you consider the dismissive way he treats his brother, the way he evolves as you attack him in This Cannot Continue (how he's completely passive to start with, also). Meanwhile, while Eve is maddened by Adam's death, I would call that a consequence of his love, his destructive rampage is too unfocused for hatred. I think the confusion is that Adam shows on the surface a very intellectual version of hatred. But he still tortures 9S just to make 2B feel bad.

I agree that Adam is most definitely fascinated by hate, it's the more or less the lens through which he interprets everything else about humanity. It's just that this doesn't necessarily mean he himself feels hatred 24/7. It's something he wants to understand, and while he is capable of it and he gets off on feeling it, he's approaching it from the perspective of a being who is studying it rather than going all berserker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Adam is obsessed with all that humans do. humans hate? I gotta hate. But he doesn't know how to hate others only how to affect others to hate him ie 2b seeing 9s all strung up

Adam and Eve are the main 2 cats I wish there were more of

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tiriganiaq posted:

Does hard mode change the hacking in any way?

Yeah it takes more shots to destroy things. It may do other things too?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ate the mackrel after a long run without saving.
:negative:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why did you trust a woman named jackass?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

at least you got something out of it :)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Since people were asking about Emil's inventory:

Emil has 3 distinct routes. One runs by the desert entrance (his "default" route), one that runs under the bridge that leads to the factory, and one that runs by the base camp. He has a few different inventories that correspond roughly to those routes.

Desert route: he sells chips.
Bridge route: he sells low level materials.
Camp route: (late game only?) high level materials and a few weapons.

When he spawns in with the map, his inventory is set. He tends to spawn by the desert first (hence "default" route) which sets his inventory to the chips. If this happens, go to him there and buy and sell at least one item. I don't know if you have to do both but I did just to be sure. Then reload the map. He tends to vanish entirely if you do this, so if he isn't there, reload the map again. If he spawns on the other route, just repeat this process til he shows up where you want him. Be warned that on his camp route, he drives fast as poo poo and is hard to stop, so memorize where he goes and try to get in front of him because he will outrun your bullets.

It's best to try and get his high level stuff in one of the later chapters, because I don't think he sells it on the A or B routes, but I haven't confirmed that. He sends you an email at one point asking you to drop by the shop, so I think that triggers it. Also make sure you have a lot of money and/or stuff to sell on hand because it can take a while to get him to show up in the right place.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had to do Jackasses last combat round again.:smith::hf::smith:

On the plus side that was what ended up ingraining the "save after fast travelling" muscle memory.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Snak posted:

I think Adam really like the idea of hatred, but he had no real catalyst to experience it. He was fascinated by hatred. But his death allowed Eve to actually experience hatred in a way that Adam never did.

Just had a thought. 9S/Eve start out loving 2B/Adam, whose death provided a way for them to experience hatred. 9S and Eve: the two most human characters in the game, having experienced real love and hatred?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heath posted:

Since people were asking about Emil's inventory:

Emil has 3 distinct routes. One runs by the desert entrance (his "default" route), one that runs under the bridge that leads to the factory, and one that runs by the base camp. He has a few different inventories that correspond roughly to those routes.

Desert route: he sells chips.
Bridge route: he sells low level materials.
Camp route: (late game only?) high level materials and a few weapons.

When he spawns in with the map, his inventory is set. He tends to spawn by the desert first (hence "default" route) which sets his inventory to the chips. If this happens, go to him there and buy and sell at least one item. I don't know if you have to do both but I did just to be sure. Then reload the map. He tends to vanish entirely if you do this, so if he isn't there, reload the map again. If he spawns on the other route, just repeat this process til he shows up where you want him. Be warned that on his camp route, he drives fast as poo poo and is hard to stop, so memorize where he goes and try to get in front of him because he will outrun your bullets.

It's best to try and get his high level stuff in one of the later chapters, because I don't think he sells it on the A or B routes, but I haven't confirmed that. He sends you an email at one point asking you to drop by the shop, so I think that triggers it. Also make sure you have a lot of money and/or stuff to sell on hand because it can take a while to get him to show up in the right place.

Second time I ever saw Emil was in front of the resistance camp, route A. Didn't shoot him though cause I had just bought stuff from seeing him in front of the desert and didn't know he sold different things at different places. But yeah he can show up in front of the camp from the word go, either that or I did a trigger to get him there without knowing it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He'll show up there, but I don't know if he will have his high level inventory til you trigger his message.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

His message doesn't affect anything as far as I can see. I saw everything he had before receiving that message.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ending E I don't think I've ever actually laughed while tearing up at any piece of media before. Actually I did it twice, first when the shooting starts and the first thing you do is blow up Yoko Taro to try to win a happy ending for his characters, and second when I finally accepted help and the background singing kicked in. Utterly perfect.

Then I reached the message input and was floored to see you could actually put in negative things, but not a single message I saw did that. :unsmith:

Save data gone, I don't care about achievements or grinding anyway, no regrets.

A Yoko Taro game with good combat and a hopeful final ending? I can only assume this happened because Dark Id 100%ed all his other games and in doing do atoned for our sins.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So the replies I got got me to thinking about this game even more. I love it when people can play the same game and come to different conclusions like this.

Also today I noticed that the original Nier made it to the top 10 of my local games store, which is really blowing my mind. Its the only PS3 game on the list too. Looks like Taro is finally getting some well deserved recognition.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

special event for 1 million sales on the 17th.
interesting choice of image

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
drat, would never expect the true final boss to be Square Enix LTD.

So what's this I'm hearing about getting all weapons to 100%, do I actually get something for it other than the archievement?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Oh boy oh boy.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

grate deceiver posted:

drat, would never expect the true final boss to be Square Enix LTD.

So what's this I'm hearing about getting all weapons to 100%, do I actually get something for it other than the archievement?

There's one last sidequest that only unlocks once you upgrade every weapon to level 4.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Opposing Farce posted:

There's one last sidequest that only unlocks once you upgrade every weapon to level 4.

This includes the only missable ending so I would suggest reading up on it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Oh, so that's a prerequisite to fighting Emil?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did something shameful

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So we're going to get a video that shows what is behind the door instead of it happening in our copies of the game so we can go there ourselves? I can't even be upset, if it actually goes that way it would be fitting as poo poo somehow.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Behind the door will be a tiny room where you can pick up the violin shown in the concert poster.

You can't play the violin, it just sits in your inventory.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did something shameful

I still need to play that game but i've heard it's got great writing. I'd totally play this mash-up

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 7, 2017

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did something shameful

i love it. two of my favorite games of this year in unison.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Behind the door will be a tiny room where you can pick up the violin shown in the concert poster.

Wasn't expecting to see YoRHa: Death & Rebirth after the [E]nd of YoRHa.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You Can (Not) Despair.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Greliz/status/850143056447893504

Good likeness.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Picked this up yesterday and managed to squeeze in 90 minutes before bed. Never played nier but love platinum games and damm son this game has left an impression.

Normally don't care about spoilers and normally rush to finish games but this one i just want to slowly digest and take in without outside knowledge. Seems like something special.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

a kitten posted:

Good likeness.

Now I wish 9S would keep constantly dropping to his death in the background while you run about

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You Can (Not) Despair.

This Can (Not) Continue

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nier concert with LE goods: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/nier/concert2017/

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nina posted:

Now I wish 9S would keep constantly dropping to his death in the background while you run about

There are some places you can go where he does that I think. I'm sure I remember him falling in a hole repeatedly.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

McDragon posted:

There are some places you can go where he does that I think. I'm sure I remember him falling in a hole repeatedly.

But it's not the same if I can't hear him scream

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

This Can (Not) Continue

Nina posted:

But it's not the same if I can't hear him scream

Steady on, Taro, Jesus.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Goddammit I wish I knew how to get some of this stuff. That poster is gorgeous.

Any idea what the foldy-looking thing with the machine and Emil faces is? Some kind of case?

And the shirt with the dopey machine eating poo poo. Man.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

Goddammit I wish I knew how to get some of this stuff. That poster is gorgeous.

Any idea what the foldy-looking thing with the machine and Emil faces is? Some kind of case?

And the shirt with the dopey machine eating poo poo. Man.

Emil binoculars and sometimes ebay has random games merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Chiming in with another "I didn't really believe the hyperbole but actually this game makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat"

Ow ow it hurts